Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Murkowsky voted present.

so brave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

bipartisanship is a buzzword. everyone pretends it's important but when it comes to actually governing the only thing people actually care about is what gets passed and whether it gets through. pretty much nobody cares about procedural crap like whether people of both parties signed on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr Interweb posted:

Trump is the best thing to happen to the Democratic party in years.

Families being ripped apart and child concentration camps sure are a small price to pay for maybe the ability to claw back government tooth and nail from fascists if it's not already too late.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

Zero Republicans voted no on Kavanaugh

also if Manchin were Democrat #51 he wouldn't have voted yes / Kavanaugh would never have gotten to a vote

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Stexils posted:

bipartisanship is a buzzword. everyone pretends it's important but when it comes to actually governing the only thing people actually care about is what gets passed and whether it gets through. pretty much nobody cares about procedural crap like whether people of both parties signed on.

"Bipartisanship" means "the other side should vote for my side's stuff".

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

decorum and bipartisanship is what the american people want, this is why they elected a racist senile carnival barker and are rewarding furious political polarization in both parties

OR

'decorum' and 'civility' simply designate the limited range of political expression that a comfortable, deeply sophistic, institutionally embedded and predominantly white affluent political class deems acceptable
GEE I WONDER WHICH ONE IS TRUE

It's the first one.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/220265...5&g_medium=copy

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/225065/bipartisanship-marks-2018-americans-happy.aspx

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Squall posted:

Instead, we've gotten a whole lot of bad poo poo done and 2 SC appointments to conservative hacks? I mean, I agree that Democrats probably get slaughtered in 2018 had Clinton won in 2016, but I still don't think I'd slide it as far as "Trump winning was Good."

You think McConnell (or any Republican) would have allowed Bernie/Hillary to appoint a single SC judge? Especially after Ted Cruz said he'd be fine holding the seat(s) empty for another four years if a Democrat won?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Mr Interweb posted:

You think McConnell (or any Republican) would have allowed Bernie/Hillary to appoint a single SC judge? Especially after Ted Cruz said he'd be fine holding the seat(s) empty for another four years if a Democrat won?

No, I don't. The court would remain 4-4 and deadlock is a lot better than "In a 5-4 decision..."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Families being ripped apart and child concentration camps sure are a small price to pay for maybe the ability to claw back government tooth and nail from fascists if it's not already too late.

This, I will admit is a bit more difficult to defend. :smith:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

you're quoting a short opinion piece and a single year old telephone poll of a thousand people. Seriously?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"Bipartisanship" means "the other side should vote for my side's stuff".

this

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if people cared about bipartisanship the dems would have won the 2010 elections.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It just makes you come across as callous to the people suffering under the current administration when you posit that maybe we're better off with Trump than Hilary in the long run because of how he woke the left up in America. It may be, it may not be, we will never know, and a side of who gives a drat. Focus on the real not the hypothetical.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

got her, tom

https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/1061402588321591298

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

mistaya posted:

It just makes you come across as callous to the people suffering under the current administration when you posit that maybe we're better off with Trump than Hilary in the long run because of how he woke the left up in America. It may be, it may not be, we will never know, and a side of who gives a drat. Focus on the real not the hypothetical.

Exactly. I know everyone around these parts is itchy and angry (as am I) but I can't take the resurgence in my side as a positive for Trump because it comes with a big monstrous bag of negative. Like heartbreaking, terrible negative.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Murkowsky voted present.

Yeah exactly, she's as garbage as the rest, just less honest about it

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
So the used condom, smeared hither and thither with orange fecal matter, told me that Lincoln was a Republican!

And yet Lincoln did not free the slaves before he was in charge!

So I can not vote.

And I heard Kennedy did some things before there was birth control, and he could have been a Communist but wasn't enough,

So I will not vote, and I have no solutions.

Fox told me Clinton was a womanizer who Benghazied and there would be much war thereafter,

Shall not vote, and yet I have no solutions.

Obama, I guess, was not quick enough. Not enough with the fast, nor the furious. Though, I'm told, everyone (EVERYONE!) voted for him, so all must be lost.

Voting is for scrubs, and yet and I have no solutions.

This lady, I'm told, voted for Mondale, so she's right out. Her dress reeks of conformity:

https://i.imgur.com/EJhFPfr.jpg

No more voting for her after we are in charge.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If Joe Manchin was a senator from Illinois or New York or California then yeah gently caress him forever. I'll take a lovely D in that seat over an R any day of the week though, and if you believe a carbon copy of Bernie Sanders or whatever would win in West Virginia then I don't know what the gently caress to tell you.

Fun fact! The current junior senator from the West Virginia, Shelley Moore Capito, is the first Republican to win a full senate term from the state in over 70 years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1061797475621761024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can we have an exchange program? New immigrants and refugees for our neighborhoods, and
maga chuds leave?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
My god, this thread

https://twitter.com/bijancbayne/status/1061718441663578116?s=21

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
No joke, I'd gladly put up some refugees in my apartment. Where's the fed/state program for sponsoring a refugee to stay with you?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sundae posted:

No joke, I'd gladly put up some refugees in my apartment. Where's the fed/state program for sponsoring a refugee to stay with you?

depending on your area there may be a local charity group that you can work with to do this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skippy McPants posted:

Franchise owners getting uppity? No problem, just send in the fasch!

Holy poo poo, that's insane. If they want people out they should just be offering to buy them out, not this poo poo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I love how he's basically saying "you'd be racist just like me"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is disqualifying for my primary support.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Can we have an exchange program? New immigrants and refugees for our neighborhoods, and
maga chuds leave?

America made these CHUDs and they can keep them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this a somewhat inaccurate summation of that particular DACA bill (it was actually pretty solid for Democrats and Trump DEFINITELY did not get 'everything he wanted' even in wall funding terms)

on the plus side, you managed to use the decorum smiley in a positive context, so

Who can even remember the details of something that happened 347 years ago? Cut me some slack here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Who can even remember the details of something that happened 347 years ago? Cut me some slack here.

there was actually a hilarious failed heist in England of 1671 that I was unaware of so thanks for making me google it

dude and coconspirators almost stole the Crown Jewels and flubbed ot, permanently misplacing some of the actual jewels in the process

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Holy poo poo, that's insane. If they want people out they should just be offering to buy them out, not this poo poo

Aligning with fascist interests to brutalize the people harming your bottom line requires a much smaller expenditure of capital than buying out those same people.

Capital will ally with the fash if it helps the bottom line. Don't forget this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fuligin posted:

you're quoting a short opinion piece and a single year old telephone poll of a thousand people. Seriously?
nice post/av combo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If Joe Manchin was a senator from Illinois or New York or California then yeah gently caress him forever. I'll take a lovely D in that seat over an R any day of the week though, and if you believe a carbon copy of Bernie Sanders or whatever would win in West Virginia then I don't know what the gently caress to tell you.

West Virginia has one of the lowest voter participation rates of any state in the country. While I obviously can't say for certain that any other Democrat would win in the state, I think it's a little presumptuous to say that someone who ran hard on economic populism and was more subtle on social issues wouldn't energize those non-voters a bit more.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do we have any indication of how many Trump voters crossed over to vote for the Sinemas, Testers, PA governor, MI governor etc.?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Franchise owners getting uppity? No problem, just send in the fasch!

This is a really interesting article and I recommend reading the whole thing.

(the tldr take in the quoted post probably isn't wrong, but it grew out of an interesting series of events)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

West Virginia has one of the lowest voter participation rates of any state in the country. While I obviously can't say for certain that any other Democrat would win in the state, I think it's a little presumptuous to say that someone who ran hard on economic populism and was more subtle on social issues wouldn't energize those non-voters a bit more.

His voters seem to extremely love a person saying "I'm not really part of either party, I hate Washington, I am a principled centrist", as far as I can tell.

I do think that economic populism, framed correctly, could be a winning issue. I just don't think it could overwhelm the state that was only after Wyoming in Trump support to put any other Democrat in the Senate. Manchin's like a folk hero to these people at this point, it's weird and dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus gently caress. what a loving monster.

mcmagic posted:

This is disqualifying for my primary support.

same. i don't hate biden as much as some on this(not judging) but gently caress this decorum poo poo. the dude loving destroyed and crippled two countries and a million are dead, not to mention the thousands of american/nato soldiers who have either died or be physicaly or emotionally destroyed. and we didn't win poo poo in the end. iraq while recovering still has gently caress tons of corruption and ethnic/sectarian splits and Afghanistan is all but lost. hell the only reason we got to this point is because we payed the terrorists/islamists/etc off. now biden slaps this ghoul on the back because to them, its all a big stupid game.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Any possible primaries are ten hundred thousand million decades from now.

An [sic] bloated orange poo poo stain is in charge, and we should care about primaries in two (loving ten hundred thousand million decades from now) years?

gently caress.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Otteration posted:

Any possible primaries are ten hundred thousand million decades from now.

An [sic] bloated orange poo poo stain is in charge, and we should care about primaries in two (loving ten hundred thousand million decades from now) years?

gently caress.

well presumably you're going to have to run somebody against him.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

1glitch0 posted:

The only time I ever saw any real concern was with McCain and that was a combination of being super old, incredibly feeble, and having a crazy idiot as a running mate.

And that was very justified. If McCain had defeated Obama and served 2 terms, he would have been president in 2016 when he was visibly getting confused due to the brain tumor that later killed him. If his cancer had progressed just a smidge faster he *would* have had to resign in favor of Palin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

His voters seem to extremely love a person saying "I'm not really part of either party, I hate Washington, I am a principled centrist", as far as I can tell.

Sure, but that's more of a stylistic point than one that pertains to a platform. "Not of either party/principled independent" is a broad-rear end political designation. Sanders himself is, famously, an independent (and NOT EVEN A REAL DEMOCRAT, did I mention?). Hell, Manchin himself has kind of half-assed the "social centrist, economic progressive" mold for a while. A big part of his appeal is his promise to his constituents that he'll defend Medicare, Medicaid, and social security. I doubt he'd lose many of his current voters if he expanded that into an attack on Wall Street and support for financial regulations that have made his constituents poorer. Who knows, perhaps he'd even gain a few of those ~60% of West Virginians that are eligible to vote but usually don't.

quote:

I just don't think it could overwhelm the state that was only after Wyoming in Trump support to put any other Democrat in the Senate.

It may not, but think about who Trump was running against in 2016. Can you imagine someone who would do worse than Clinton in West Virginia? The Dems making her their brand that year probably didn't help the party as a whole in the state.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

well presumably you're going to have to run somebody against him.

And yet we have no idea who that will be. And yet (you're) i'm not in charge.