Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spunkshui posted:

I would absolutely pay today with no delivery date guaranteed for this year.

If I'm paying this much I want the exact card I want. I'm just worried the scalping will never end.

The longer this continues the longer its going to attract more scalpers.

How much? I'll gladly sell you a pre-order for any card you want at an unspecified date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

GTO posted:

I've been sat on a 'preorder' at scan.co.uk that was awaiting picking when I bought it and has been incrementally pushed back for nearly a month now.

I found the checking and waiting was getting to me so I bought a 1660 super for the meantime (as I had RMAd my last card a week before launch - normally I don't buy stuff on launch.)

I will just hold off on rdr2 and control for a few more weeks. Its a lot less stressful than checking the websites all the time for an update.

Also the 1660 has gone up in price slightly on amazon since buying it so hopefully shouldn't lose more than about £20 plus fees when I ebay it.

And after all that I just got a notification that my card shipped, moved forward from 19th to today. Yay!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

spunkshui posted:

I would absolutely pay today with no delivery date guaranteed for this year.

If I'm paying this much I want the exact card I want. I'm just worried the scalping will never end.

The longer this continues the longer its going to attract more scalpers.

At a certain point they will run out of people willing to pay $1400 for these cards on eBay even if production can't ramp up. It will become less attractive as time goes on.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DrDork posted:

At least BestBuy's website doesn't completely poo poo itself like NVidia and EVGAs kept doing. Just, like, half poo poo itself.

Which seems like a real weird thing to be giving a retailer credit for, but I guess that's where we're at right now.

Nah, it'll absolutely end. The Radeon 6000 release will take some pressure off unless they totally gently caress up the pricing there. And every card sold is another person no longer in the hunt; while there is considerable demand, it's not limitless. Supply also increases considerably over the first several months of any card launch.

Unless we end up with another crypto-boom or whatever, availability will get better. Just maybe not by mid-November when so many people really want it to play CP2077 with.

watch CP2077 be a buggy unplayable pile of garbage at launch anyway.

Scalping will end - this is exactly as frustrating as the crypto boom of 2018 and then a few months later prices fell and availability went back to normal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shipon posted:

Eh, TW2 and TW3 were reasonably solid at release, so I have hope that it'll at least be playable. Might not be perfectly optimized, but hey, that's why you overbuy on your GPU, right? To brute-force your way through developer's bad code (*cough* :dice: *cough*)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DrDork posted:

Eh, TW2 and TW3 were reasonably solid at release, so I have hope that it'll at least be playable. Might not be perfectly optimized, but hey, that's why you overbuy on your GPU, right? To brute-force your way through developer's bad code (*cough* :dice: *cough*)
Witcher 3 was awful on console launch though. But like you say, PCs mainly exist to make bad code look passable. Just look at Control which went from performance disaster to, ahem, "GPU benchmark".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

Witcher 3 was awful on console launch though. But like you say, PCs mainly exist to make bad code look passable. Just look at Control which went from performance disaster to, ahem, "GPU benchmark".

Can we also get a Quake II RTX hot take?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Some Goon posted:

How much? I'll gladly sell you a pre-order for any card you want at an unspecified date.

The scalping is coming from inside the thread. :v:

The game I want the gpu the most for is overwatch 2 in February.

Im just already mentally preparing myself for mid January when nothing has changed.

Lets see how desperate I get around then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Overwatch could probably run at 30fps on a Tamagotchi egg. OW2 will probably run fantastically on a 2060S.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Overwatch could probably run at 30fps on a Tamagotchi egg. OW2 will probably run fantastically on a 2060S.

But I dont want to buy a 20 series card. The whole reason of sticking with the 1070 through the pandemic was to wait for the 30 series and go big.

I’m not going to be happy with a 20anything even if I don’t need to the full horse power of the 3080 yet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ufarn posted:

Witcher 3 was awful on console launch though.

True, but that was likely because CDPR had been developing primarily for PCs up until then, and the current-gen consoles are weak as gently caress, and TW3 was really pushing the performance boundaries when it launched. It was just too much game for consoles until they scaled some stuff back and better optimized for them. (though why they had motion blur defaulted on when it was hurting FPS and didn't add anything considering most TVs will give you their own "motion blur" for free is a mystery)

Anyhow, I couldn't care less how it plays on console--we're not in the PS5 thread, after all! Of course the PS5/XBoxSX will have a better GPU than like 80% of PCs when it launches, soooo....

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 12, 2020

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

spunkshui posted:

The scalping is coming from inside the thread. :v:

The game I want the gpu the most for is overwatch 2 in February.

Im just already mentally preparing myself for mid January when nothing has changed.

Lets see how desperate I get around then.

99% sure Overwatch 2 isn't coming out in February. All the messaging for it has been that it's still a ways off from release. Only thing I'm digging up is that last month they announced that in February, they're planning to talk about it more.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Blizzard have been more open about the progress of Diablo 4 than OW 2 at this point.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

hobbesmaster posted:

Can we also get a Quake II RTX hot take?

60FPS at 1440p with everything cranked and I played through the entire thing.

Raytracing owns.

Quake 2 owns.

It owns.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

99% sure Overwatch 2 isn't coming out in February. All the messaging for it has been that it's still a ways off from release. Only thing I'm digging up is that last month they announced that in February, they're planning to talk about it more.

LMAO wow im dumb. Cool. Eat a dick scalpers.

If you google, "overwatch 2 release date" it has gigantic letters:

"February 19, 2021"

then tiny text:

"Overwatch 2 - New Official News coming out on February 19, 2021!"

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
For anyone with coil whine on 30xx FE:

I think it was mentioned in the thread earlier, but for anyone who missed it, I completely eliminated my fairly loud coil whine with a slight underclock. I really didn't notice a performance hit at all, I followed this video (not mine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClh4270yg0

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Been toying with 1440p and it’s really impressive what my 1660ti can do. Totally stable 60-80fps in CoD on high settings.

Oh well that shits going way up tomorrow :getin:

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

So what are the odds of me getting a 3070 (or 3080) by the end of November? I've got some covid grant money that expires then, but it won't cover the full cost so I'll either need to buy a gift card and combine that with the covid card, or just go into a physical store and use multiple cards. I'm pretty close to Best Buy Bellevue, do you think they'll be stocking them? My 1660 Ti isn't cutting it for VR games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ott_ posted:

So what are the odds of me getting a 3070 (or 3080) by the end of November? I've got some covid grant money that expires then, but it won't cover the full cost so I'll either need to buy a gift card and combine that with the covid card, or just go into a physical store and use multiple cards. I'm pretty close to Best Buy Bellevue, do you think they'll be stocking them? My 1660 Ti isn't cutting it for VR games.

Right now it depends if you’re willing to put work in. You don’t need to sit at the pc with F5 ready to go but if you don’t set up at least a tracker and have your phone ready to go you aren’t getting a card for MSRP within a month. It’ll certainly slow down but nobody really knows when.

My buddy who made fun of me last week for having discord and payment info ready to go is now frustrated because he doesn’t have a card yet and mine is on the way. When he asked me to help score one it became clear early he wasn’t planning on actually trying himself. The dude isn’t getting one anytime soon.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

Right now it depends if you’re willing to put work in. You don’t need to sit at the pc with F5 ready to go but if you don’t set up at least a tracker and have your phone ready to go you aren’t getting a card for MSRP within a month. It’ll certainly slow down but nobody really knows when.

My buddy who made fun of me last week for having discord and payment info ready to go is now frustrated because he doesn’t have a card yet and mine is on the way. When he asked me to help score one it became clear early he wasn’t planning on actually trying himself. The dude isn’t getting one anytime soon.

Where should I go exactly? Best buy just says check back later and there's no results on Amazon. I've always been a budget card user so I've never been on the cutting edge before.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Rolo posted:

Been toying with 1440p and it’s really impressive what my 1660ti can do. Totally stable 60-80fps in CoD on high settings.

Oh well that shits going way up tomorrow :getin:

I developed feelings of hate every time I see your avatar in this thread (well more like jealousy!). I ordered the same LG monitor as yours on Sept 22nd in Canada on Amazon and still nothing. I guess they really mean the 1-2 month in Canada!

Also, it's kinda funny that I always tell myself not to buy the first editions of graphic cards on a given generation... This have been true since at least the 570, 770, 970 and 1070 I currently have... The first time I don't want to wait and also want to try a 80 series, I can't throw my money fast enough to get one.

Looks like I'll see a refresh before I can get one normally. I want a very specific EVGA model so I'm waiting until there is normal stock... if it ever happens. As long as they can't make them fast enough scalpers will be there with their bots. The situation feels so bad that it also feels like it will take a long time before the scalpers feel obsolete on these products.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2020

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

spunkshui posted:

But I dont want to buy a 20 series card. The whole reason of sticking with the 1070 through the pandemic was to wait for the 30 series and go big.

I’m not going to be happy with a 20anything even if I don’t need to the full horse power of the 3080 yet.

Blizzard has a long history of making sure their games run on older hardware. It's part of why their games sell so well.

It's a safe guess that your 1070 will run Overwatch 2. Certainly not at 4k max settings, but passably at 1080.

Obviously cranking the game to the max is fun, but you're going to be able to enjoy OW2 on an older machine enough to tide you over until you finally manage to snag a 30xx card.

I hope this framing helps put you at ease a bit.

EDIT: To illustrate my point, check out the Steam hardware survey results list of most common GPUs.

#1 (10.79%) is the 1060
#2 (7.60%) is the 1050 Ti
#3 (4.83%) is the 1050
#4 (3.98%) is the 1070
#5 (3.76%) is the 1650

Just those top 5 cards is 30.96% of machines that took the survey. Granted, Blizzard doesn't distribute on Steam, but the venn diagram of Blizzard and Steam PC gamers is probably drat near a circle.

There's no way Blizzard would cut out 30% of sales immediately by not being able to support those cards at all, not even at low settings. They make games for massive audiences, not exclusively for people with the latest and best hardware who need the fanciest graphics money can buy.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 13, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
did any evga xc3s go out yet

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sagebrush posted:

did any evga xc3s go out yet

There def are some out in the wild. If you mean the EVGA queue specifically after the initial release, no. From the poor EVGA guy that everyone is tweeting at 50k times a day:

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1315780789108314112

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Blizzard has a long history of making sure their games run on older hardware. It's part of why their games sell so well.

It's a safe guess that your 1070 will run Overwatch 2. Certainly not at 4k max settings, but passably at 1080.

Obviously cranking the game to the max is fun, but you're going to be able to enjoy OW2 on an older machine enough to tide you over until you finally manage to snag a 30xx card.

I hope this framing helps put you at ease a bit.

EDIT: To illustrate my point, check out the Steam hardware survey results list of most common GPUs.

#1 (10.79%) is the 1060
#2 (7.60%) is the 1050 Ti
#3 (4.83%) is the 1050
#4 (3.98%) is the 1070
#5 (3.76%) is the 1650

Just those top 5 cards is 30.96% of machines that took the survey. Granted, Blizzard doesn't distribute on Steam, but the venn diagram of Blizzard and Steam PC gamers is probably drat near a circle.

There's no way Blizzard would cut out 30% of sales immediately by not being able to support those cards at all, not even at low settings. They make games for massive audiences, not exclusively for people with the latest and best hardware who need the fanciest graphics money can buy.

I don't give a gently caress about low settings or 1080p. Why does everyone keep telling me to turn poo poo down? I'm doing that right now to hold 141FPS steady.

I want to turn ALL the things up and NEVER dip below 141.

Our financial situation is actually better then when we got the 1070s and trump bux alone is still going to cover all our computer shenanigan's this year. I would practically buy a 3090 but we need 2 cards.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cygni posted:

There def are some out in the wild. If you mean the EVGA queue specifically after the initial release, no. From the poor EVGA guy that everyone is tweeting at 50k times a day:

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1315780789108314112

The EVGA queue is a drat joke unless they massively increase supply. They're like 20 to 30 minutes into day one of the queue (ie 7:30am on September 17th)

At the current rate, they'll get to the 19th sometime in late December.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ott_ posted:

Where should I go exactly? Best buy just says check back later and there's no results on Amazon. I've always been a budget card user so I've never been on the cutting edge before.

For the time being NVIDIA looks to be selling from Best Buy exclusively. Join the discord linked every few pages and make sure to go to the notifications channel and follow the instructions to get notified. Also have a Best Buy account with your billing, shipping and updated card info. If you need to prep the card for a large purchase so fraud prevention doesn’t snag you do that too.

There have been drops roughly once a week, lately towards the end. The windows are small but getting bigger every time. I got my card ordered on Friday and there was about a 10 minute window. Plenty of time to get one if you had the right setup ready to go.

The key is to use as much automation as you can so you can just live your life and not burn out actually sitting at a keyboard (unless you already do.)

Hemish posted:

I developed feelings of hate every time I see your avatar in this thread (well more like jealousy!)

lol sorry, I’m just really happy I got one.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Asus community manager came back with this:

quote:

Update video posted - 10/12

Update on ASUS RTX 3000 ( 10/12/2020 ) series availability. This is a confirmation that cards are in active production and being refreshed weekly with channel partners. This includes etailers and retailers.
Please be aware information is limited to ASUS North America
This includes the US and Canada. If you are interested in other regions' availability you will need to reach out to ASUS and respective channel partners in those regions.
Cards in active production are the
TUF GAMING 3080 (OC and non-OC)
TUF GAMING 3090 (OC and non-OC)
ROG STRIX 3080 ( OC )
Our estore is currently undergoing site maintenance and backend engagement to improve the buying experience including bot mitigation. When there is an update for the ASUS store it will be provided.
No other information is available at this time and I cannot provide more specific notes regarding availability. Please reach out to the etailer and retailer you are interested in buying from to take advantage of their notification systems as well as have clear visibility n their logistics in having card available or onhand.
Please keep all posts regarding availability limited to the currently posted ( color-coded ) posts regarding availability.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

i really want to see how it runs on the base consoles, especially the base xbox one

drops to 25fps? 20? 15? how low can it go?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

repiv posted:

i really want to see how it runs on the base consoles, especially the base xbox one

In all possible aspects I'm fully expecting it to be the third name that future gamers will list alongside Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

It’s turn-based.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

I don't give a gently caress about low settings or 1080p. Why does everyone keep telling me to turn poo poo down? I'm doing that right now to hold 141FPS steady.

I want to turn ALL the things up and NEVER dip below 141.

Our financial situation is actually better then when we got the 1070s and trump bux alone is still going to cover all our computer shenanigan's this year. I would practically buy a 3090 but we need 2 cards.

OW1 at 1440p with all settings maxed, 100% render scale, still dips below 141 fps on my 3080 paired with a 3900x.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Anyone have a link to a discord with an alert bot other than Tu Madre?

https://discord.gg/urR9xaW, much better discord in general. Bots are better as well, it's how I got a 3080 FE

Raymond Hog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 13, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

OW1 at 1440p with all settings maxed, 100% render scale, still dips below 141 fps on my 3080 paired with a 3900x.

There’s a reason why pros play on the lowest settings on the highest end hardware. Sure the skipped frames may only be 0.1% of the time but that’s when things are the craziest.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Raymond Hog posted:

https://discord.gg/urR9xaW, much better discord in general. Bots are better as well, it's how I got a 3080 FE

Thanks friend. If the link doesn't work, remove the comma at the end of it.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Ott_ posted:

Thanks friend. If the link doesn't work, remove the comma at the end of it.

Whoops my bad lol, fixed the link

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If the self-reported EVGA queue sheet means anything at all (lol) I'm gonna be in the first 10% of XC3 cards to ship (9/16 11am PST) but who the gently caress knows what that even means anymore :pressf:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

In all possible aspects I'm fully expecting it to be the third name that future gamers will list alongside Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it coming out and then me getting it a couple months after the fact when it goes on sale. I still haven't got around to playing Witcher 3 (and didn't play the earlier games in the series) so don't have much in the way of connection to CDPR, and am generally allergic to paying full price for games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Witcher 3 is getting a free RTX update so you may as well leave it and wait for that at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
i kinda want to replay witcher 3 (I accidentally lost my save game like halfway through the game and didn't feel like replaying from the start after that) but I am kinda thinking I'll hold out for the RTX remaster. But then I'll have to buy an RTX card I guess.