Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Memento posted:

People who believe in IQ tests aren't just the dumb ones. There's also a decent percentage of people who believe in them who are smart, and loving insufferable.

True, but they mostly restrict themselves to opinionated letters to the editor of the MENSA quarterly digest and playing chess-by-mail against other intellectual giants.

When IQ comes up in social media it's pretty much the preserve of the race purists who regard it as hard science proving the inferiority of the non-white races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

zoux posted:

You seem to feel very strongly about this and I don't give a poo poo so I concede the argument, Amber Alerts are extremely good.

Am I meant to feel bad for caring? You’re very petty.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1096611885850357761

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

What is it about humanity that gives us the impulse to respond to "I like Thing" with "gently caress Thing, it sucks!" I wonder?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I got put in the special gifted kids program, and I grew up to become the person who is responsible for my post history. IQ is just a dick measuring tool for dudes and only the most insecure of all genders.

Hell, I took out loans for a philosophy degree, it might be negatively correlated to intelligence.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

IQ tests measure your ability to write an IQ test. That's about it, really.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Picnic Princess posted:

Which was the case here, and he was found by a random stranger who saw the alert.

I have yet to experience this giant siren everyone's talking about though, the two I've received on my phone just did a vibrate alert and a notification pop up. Does it vary by province?

I'm in Manitoba, and had the father and his daughter driven without stopping from their last known time/place, they still would have been like a 12h drive from me. The alert overrode my silent settings on my phone and woke me up. It sounded like a smoke detector going off - I've never heard my phone make that sound before. I don't care that I got the alert, but I don't see why it needed to override my settings. Given that I had been asleep, I wasn't in a position to look for or see or spot anyone or anything. To be honest I was so disoriented that I accidentally cleared the alert without even having been able to properly read it because I was trying to turn off the sound. I didn't know what had been going on until I got up and read the news the next day.

It would have reached me way better if it had just come in as a regular text message for me to see next time I had looked at my phone.

Again, I'm not mad that I received the message - I'm irritated that it uselessly woke me up and overrode my settings (under the header "presidential alert") when I could not possibly have been of help.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommonShore posted:

I'm in Manitoba, and had the father and his daughter driven without stopping from their last known time/place, they still would have been like a 12h drive from me. The alert overrode my silent settings on my phone and woke me up. It sounded like a smoke detector going off - I've never heard my phone make that sound before. I don't care that I got the alert, but I don't see why it needed to override my settings. Given that I had been asleep, I wasn't in a position to look for or see or spot anyone or anything. To be honest I was so disoriented that I accidentally cleared the alert without even having been able to properly read it because I was trying to turn off the sound. I didn't know what had been going on until I got up and read the news the next day.

It would have reached me way better if it had just come in as a regular text message for me to see next time I had looked at my phone.

Again, I'm not mad that I received the message - I'm irritated that it uselessly woke me up and overrode my settings (under the header "presidential alert") when I could not possibly have been of help.

Why do Canadians get Presidential alerts? That's just weird. Didn't you fight a war in 1812 about this very issue?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Priscilla Paige is a Woman on The Internet with Opinions About Media so she runs into this poo poo every goddamn minute of her life. I don't know how she does it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why do Canadians get Presidential alerts? That's just weird. Didn't you fight a war in 1812 about this very issue?

Probably because my Android OS is programmed by an american company and nobody who designs this stuff gives a poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mak0rz posted:

Priscilla Paige is a Woman on The Internet with Opinions About Media so she runs into this poo poo every goddamn minute of her life. I don't know how she does it.

With panache.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1096438198991896576?s=19

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1096467648089677825?s=19

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jobson groeth posted:

So more of an antagonist?

"Protagonist" and "antagonist" don't mean "good guy" and "bad guy". The protagonist is the main character and an antagonist is someone who is causing them trouble or hindering their efforts. A protagonist who is a bad person is still the protagonist and anyone trying to stop them from doing bad things is still an antagonist.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

"Protagonist" and "antagonist" don't mean "good guy" and "bad guy". The protagonist is the main character and an antagonist is someone who is causing them trouble or hindering their efforts. A protagonist who is a bad person is still the protagonist and anyone trying to stop them from doing bad things is still an antagonist.

I was just making a portmanteau of anti protagonist that happened to already be a word that described the sort of people calling emergency services because they got a loud SMS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The National Review is such a brain trust. :allears:

Still can't get over how some people have decided NR is too liberal so there's also a Conservative Review.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Manitobans will be the vanguard of the revolution.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gleebster posted:

Manitobans will be the vanguard of the revolution.

Manitoba has a place called Gimli so it checks out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because we adapted the American system last year. Presidential Alert is the highest setting that’s normally supposed to be used for thermonuclear war or 9/11 2, but we stupid Canadians use it for literally everything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1096598747646255104?s=21

I think this guy knows that “Paki” is an insult used by English people but doesn’t understand what it means.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Inco posted:

If you complain about Amber alerts you can gently caress off and die, hth

I’m fine with them if they work, I just kind of assumed they were security theater, like the TSA. In other words, designed to make you feel better but not actually doing anything.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arivia posted:

Because we adapted the American system last year. Presidential Alert is the highest setting that’s normally supposed to be used for thermonuclear war or 9/11 2, but we stupid Canadians use it for literally everything.

Does anyone else remember the White House sending out a false alarm about a missile heading for Hawaii? I didn’t dream that, right?

https://twitter.com/hoarsewisperer/status/1096643088758509568?s=21

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bobby Digital posted:

I had a tutoring student who had his framed Mensa certificate on his office wall.

He wasn’t very smart.

I got into Mensa because I was outraged that Ian "Molly" Meldrum, (Australian TV celebrity who once famously forgot Prince Charles name on live TV) was a member. I refused to believe that he was quantitatively smarter than me. So I did their IQ test, and surprise surprise I was smart enough to join. If I paid them $85 dollars for a membership that is.

For a couple of years afterwards I would pull the membership card out to be laughed at by my mates in the pub. I lost the card a couple of years ago, and I can't be arsed re-joining to get it back.

Oh, and to be clear I, like your tutoring student, am also not very smart.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Does anyone else remember the White House sending out a false alarm about a missile heading for Hawaii? I didn’t dream that, right?

Hoarse Whisperer is one of the worst accounts in the history of Twitter so if he comes off as the intelligent one in a feud then you're really hopeless. Sorry to...an actress from 102 Dalmatians?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I got into Mensa because I was outraged that Ian "Molly" Meldrum, (Australian TV celebrity who once famously forgot Prince Charles name on live TV) was a member. I refused to believe that he was quantitatively smarter than me. So I did their IQ test, and surprise surprise I was smart enough to join. If I paid them $85 dollars for a membership that is.

For a couple of years afterwards I would pull the membership card out to be laughed at by my mates in the pub. I lost the card a couple of years ago, and I can't be arsed re-joining to get it back.

Oh, and to be clear I, like your tutoring student, am also not very smart.

This comedian joined Mensa for fun and now she just keeps posting stuff from their private groups to make fun of them:

the entire thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/jamieloftushelp/status/1047126406797258753?lang=en

https://twitter.com/jamieloftusHELP/status/1047217484791570432

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bare bottom pancakes posted:

I'm perfectly fine getting an alert, even in the middle of the night, that I can't do anything with if it means a kidnapped child has a higher chance of being found before they are killed

The biggest practical advantage of Amber alerts is not that they contribute to the search for a child, but that they contribute to a general atmosphere of terror by helping the incredibly rare event of an urgently reported kidnapping seize the public attention even more than they used to from merely shared human biases and the actions of online and television news sources.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1096598747646255104?s=21

I think this guy knows that “Paki” is an insult used by English people but doesn’t understand what it means.

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1096649731126763520?s=21

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Still doesn't top the guy who tried to use the n-word against white supremacists

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Amber alerts are a lovely form of security theater that, as an institution of the police, still manage to work on more or less to help kids, despite it being possibly used to bad ends. Do all missing kids get an alert, or just the white ones? What if police believe an abuser who claims that the victim kidnapped their child, when in fact all they were doing was escaping from them? Are there better methods for doing the same thing? Definitely. Funding social workers with hella cash and benefits for poor people could save way more kids from abusive homes than could ever be rescued by the system as is. But, well, they work sometimes and they work right now, so suck it up for now and unionize so you don't have to care about getting up for work early tomorrow.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Nice. Got the "I totally knew what it was, I swear" along with the "I served in the ARMY."

Also, he thinks Pakistan is in the Middle East. After living in the country literally bordering Pakistan.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CommonShore posted:

Cool. Who else in the thread is Canadadian and wants to regale us with a laid-back anecdote about how the Amber Alert both did and didn't affect them? Post you are stories here

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

It wasn't the white house but yes it happened

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Weatherman posted:

Cool. Who else in the thread is Canadadian and wants to regale us with a laid-back anecdote about how the Amber Alert both did and didn't affect them? Post you are stories here

Hello, western canuckistanian here and the amber alert system has furthermore

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jurgan posted:

It was the Hawaii state Emergency Management Agency, as a result of human error and poorly designed test procedures.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

It was the Hawaii state Emergency Management Agency, as a result of human error and poorly designed test procedures.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Nice. Got the "I totally knew what it was, I swear" along with the "I served in the ARMY."

Also, he thinks Pakistan is in the Middle East. After living in the country literally bordering Pakistan.

But...Pakistan is considered part of the Middle East?

Fake edit: part of the “Greater Middle East” but not the Middle East. TIL

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

But...Pakistan is considered part of the Middle East?

Fake edit: part of the “Greater Middle East” but not the Middle East. TIL

Pakistan is actually part of the OG Middle East

It used to be Near East which was basically everything to the eastern border of the Ottoman Empire (roughly the current border between Iraq and Iran), Middle East which was Iran through Pakistan, Afghanistan, and India, and Far East which was today's East Asia.

Then Near East fell out of favour for whatever reason and we changed its meaning a little and started calling it the Middle East instead and just kinda forgot that the Indian subcontinent used to be part of the Middle East.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Any country name ending in "istan" is going to be an assumed war-torn middle Eastern nation to chuds regardless of the correct geographical terminology

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Any country name ending in "istan" is going to be an assumed war-torn middle Eastern nation to chuds regardless of the correct geographical terminology

I mean, not just chuds: pretty much anyone who's a product of the US education system is probably hard pressed to locate most countries accurately.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, not just chuds: pretty much anyone who's a product of the US education system is probably hard pressed to locate most countries accurately.

a bit of a far reaching condemnation there pal

I'll have you know I can locate the country of Europe easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1095828991460683776

Uhhh