Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is rumoured to be what's happening with Currys PC World in the UK. It's the only national computer hardware retailer, and appears to have had zero stock since launch. But twitter scuttlebutt says they are receiving shipments, it's just they're immediately being nabbed by the staff.

I know someone who works in a major one, this is patently false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I don't follow tech rumour youtuber dudes, does he have an actual reputation or is it the usual case of scattershot clickbait takes?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ijyt posted:

I know someone who works in a major one, this is patently false.

That they are nabbing or received zero stock? I'd be very suss about nabbing as I doubt even in small volume the staff wouldn't be able to take it all or afford it tbh.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Theophany posted:

Take the entire shaker of salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbvUK93npo

But if this bears true, it's absolutely an artificially created supply issue. I refuse to believe nVidia didn't anticipate massive demand given the global situation and their very attractive pricing for these cards.

I was just about to post this also and even if it isn't true, Nvidia might want to reconsider their approach to releases if they don't want to start fueling (possible bullshit) narratives like this. Of course they're laughing all the way to the bank anyway so whatever. I do like the possibility that this clusterfuck of a launch is just a ruse to get everyone thinking about RTX before AMD comes in and start actually competing again. AMD doesn't even have to nuke Nvidia but to just be actually competitive.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hemish posted:

^^^^ I bet stores with physical stock on location don't even go to the floor room. Employees must snatch them for themselves (or scalping).

I played it last summer on my 65" TV but in 1080p (so pretty much maxed) via Steam Remote play and it was still fun and pretty. I can't imagine how it must be on your setup knowing people praised its DLSS options.

You move your computer to the living room or you have both your computer setup close and the TV close together in the first place? I'm close enough that a 25ft HDMI was fine but I have to make the TV as main screen otherwise performances suck rear end (known Windows issues for years) but it stinks having to setup everything when I want to do it. I still game on my PC with mouse/keyboard for everything that isn't something I would play on console but for these occasional titles, I wish I had a better setup for the TV.

I think I'll abandon the idea, found out my TV can only go at 30hz for 4k so that sucks. I didn't think about doing that when I bought it so a high refresh rate for 4k wasn't something I was looking for. I won't have a 3080 until 2025 so there's also that!

Before I moved my computer to the living room, I had like a 50ft hdmi cable run to my TV. If you use something like Ultramon, you can set up a keyboard shortcut that will change the main monitor, so you never have that secondary monitor issue. It always worked well.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

apropos man posted:

Currys/PC World have started pricing things reasonably I've noticed in the last year or so. I think they can still be a bit random on more obscure items but I remember when there used to be a laughable plebtax on RAM/GPU's.

I got a new PSU from there and they had it at the cheapest price, even including amazon. But yeah it's the obscure and niche stuff that they lack. Like, I needed a SATA extension cable and my only option to get it quickly was Amazon. I miss maplins, they were good for random poo poo like that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

VorpalFish posted:

When I played with this a few days ago it used a surprising amount of bandwidth. With the low bandwidth option set, restricting the models to like 5 and capping the polling to like 30-90 seconds I still got it to periodically hit exceeds on a 15m policer I set, so depending on your uplink you could well be dropping responses.

That seems possible. I have uncapped symmetrical gigabit and I routinely burn a half TB or more in a day.

I guess if you're on capped internet, definitely don't bother with this.

Craptacular! posted:

Everything with npm etc is for a bare metal install. The point of a container is to avoid having to set up all that stuff because you're running the program with all the software it needs to run inside a little mini-VM that can but doesn't have to include a whole separate OS (otherwise it pulls various system calls from the host.)

Installing Windows Subsystem for Linux
Adding a distro (I would personally go for OpenSuse Leap, but Debian is also fine)
Installing Docker at the command line (or Podman if you're a weird dweeb like me)
Run the docker run command showed in the readme, which runs a container with an interactive terminal running the software necessary pulled from the author's git
I was unaware WSL exists because I think of windows as a gaming environment, so, that's neat but it seems like a pain in the rear end, and I also sort of suspect anyone stumped by the repo readme is going to be even more confused trying to get that working

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 14, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MonkeyLibFront posted:

That they are nabbing or received zero stock? I'd be very suss about nabbing as I doubt even in small volume the staff wouldn't be able to take it all or afford it tbh.

The nabbing, I’ve had them checking stock regularly and it’s been a desert.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hm, so I might have a problem. In my haste to slambuy a 3080 I forgot that the MSI Gaming X Trio requires a whopping 3 PCI-E connectors.

But the back of my current supply looks like this:

Does that mean I'd need to find another PSU also? If so maybe I'll cancel this order and look for one that only requires two.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Do your pcie cables have dual 8 pins? If so just connect one dual 8 pin to two of the power connectors on your card and a single cable to the remaining power connector.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-problem-pairing-seasonic-s12ii-620w-psu-with-gtx-1080ti.3173335/

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 14, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

exquisite tea posted:

Hm, so I might have a problem. In my haste to slambuy a 3080 I forgot that the MSI Gaming X Trio requires a whopping 3 PCI-E connectors.

But the back of my current supply looks like this:

Does that mean I'd need to find another PSU also? If so maybe I'll cancel this order and look for one that only requires two.

Depends, do the cables from the PSU labelled PCI-E have a single plug on each, or do they split to 2 plugs?

The problems people were having with a single cable with daisy chained plugs was likely because the power limit was bumping against the absolute max draw for those connections, and having 2 separate channels for that made it so much more stable.
Your 3 connector setup will not be drawing anywhere near the max draw for 3 connectors, so daisy chaining one of them would probably not be a significant issue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

B-Mac posted:

Do your pcie cables have dual 8 pins? If so just connect one dual 8 pin to two of the power connectors on your card and a single cable to the remaining power connector.

I can't remember. I'll open up my case and have a look when I get a chance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah HZD is a total loving mess, they only just barely fixed a problem with Aloy not walking in a straight line months after release, and you still can't use anisotropic filtering.

The walking angle bug was actually always there in the PS4 version, it just wasn't obvious when everyone was using a controller and could precisely correct the angle.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I was thinking about a MSI Trio also, and the thought crossed my mind about the triple connector thing.

I there an optimum way to power up the three? Like, use a splitter on Left and Middle sockets and leave the Right Hand Side on it's own cable? Or vice versa? Or splitter on Left and Right but Middle dedicated?

Should we be THAT geeky about it?!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay, I opened up my case and I’ve got an extra 8-pin PCI-e cable there just chillin. So my bad purchasing decisions will remain intact.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Theophany posted:

But if this bears true, it's absolutely an artificially created supply issue. I refuse to believe nVidia didn't anticipate massive demand given the global situation and their very attractive pricing for these cards.

Really interesting stuff and we'll be able to see if he's right within the next month.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Zero VGS posted:

Heard the loudest buzzer on the planet go off, realized it was that Twitch notifications page posted a few pages back. Couldn't figure out where the gently caress it was in my 800 tabs. Finally found it saying Zotac.com was selling them. Of course, it's actually impossible to buy anything on Zotac.com, you have to specifically know to go to store.zotac.com which took me a minute to figure out.

Guess I missed out on the Trinity non-OC 3080, which is the one I need really badly because Amazon said if I can buy that from anywhere and return it to them they'll refund me back for the overpriced Zotac that they refuse to price match and I already sold lol

Zotac Trinity 3080 is available for the sweet price of $950 (not a pricing mistake, Japan pricing just sucks) and a shipping estimate of 1-2 months on Amazon.co.jp if you wanna play the long game

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/GAMIN...02676302&sr=8-1

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

NicelyNice posted:

Zotac Trinity 3080 is available for the sweet price of $950 (not a pricing mistake, Japan pricing just sucks) and a shipping estimate of 1-2 months on Amazon.co.jp if you wanna play the long game

Gotta repost this because it really made me laugh

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Theophany posted:

Lol of course they anticipated the demand. Anyone could anticipate the demand. Everything from power supplies to gym equipment has been impossible to buy for the last year. Ok so you know there's gonna be insane demand, now what?

You are entirely limited in what you can make to Samsung's 8nm production capacity and yields. You want to build on another process? Great. Months and millions of dollars to port the design but more importantly, where do you go?

Tsmc 7nm? Good loving luck between amd, their own a100, even intel allegedly making stuff there. Apparently tsmc 5 belongs in its entirety to apple for the foreseeable future. Intel 10mm or 14++++/-^? Get hosed, they can't manage to produce enough to meet demand for their own product, they're not selling you capacity to make a product that they claim they will be competing with shortly.

Tsmc or glofo 12? Probably room there but enjoy your 450w 3080.

Like it's crazy that people need to invent these absolutely wild conspiracy theories when there is an incredibly simple explanation; global markets have been hosed for a year and there are very very few companies on the planet that can do advanced fabrication. You cannot just scale up production.

So what do you do? Delay launch another 6 months while sitting on boatload of 3080s?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Imagination is getting back into the high power PCI-E GPU game, what a time to be alive

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-release/innosilicon-selects-imaginations-new-bxt-multi-core-gpu-ip-for-cloud-computing/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

repiv posted:

Imagination is getting back into the high power PCI-E GPU game, what a time to be alive

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-release/innosilicon-selects-imaginations-new-bxt-multi-core-gpu-ip-for-cloud-computing/

Who?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

PowerVR.
:corsair:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
noob question:
i recently upgraded my old r7260x with an RX 570 Gaming 8G Rev 2.0. what are the risks of undervolting and overclocking. currently i run it with an i54430 but i will use it the xeon e3 1246 v3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
have we heard anything about Intel's Xe? When can I give Raja Koduri some money for his next sports car

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VorpalFish posted:

Lol of course they anticipated the demand. Anyone could anticipate the demand. Everything from power supplies to gym equipment has been impossible to buy for the last year. Ok so you know there's gonna be insane demand, now what?

You are entirely limited in what you can make to Samsung's 8nm production capacity and yields. You want to build on another process? Great. Months and millions of dollars to port the design but more importantly, where do you go?

Tsmc 7nm? Good loving luck between amd, their own a100, even intel allegedly making stuff there. Apparently tsmc 5 belongs in its entirety to apple for the foreseeable future. Intel 10mm or 14++++/-^? Get hosed, they can't manage to produce enough to meet demand for their own product, they're not selling you capacity to make a product that they claim they will be competing with shortly.

Tsmc or glofo 12? Probably room there but enjoy your 450w 3080.

Like it's crazy that people need to invent these absolutely wild conspiracy theories when there is an incredibly simple explanation; global markets have been hosed for a year and there are very very few companies on the planet that can do advanced fabrication. You cannot just scale up production.

So what do you do? Delay launch another 6 months while sitting on boatload of 3080s?

As I said, take the entire shaker. It's not like there's much longer to wait and see if there's any truth to it! :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

have we heard anything about Intel's Xe? When can I give Raja Koduri some money for his next sports car

raja needs more time to perfect the shroud

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I haven't been keeping up on the GPU stuff in a few weeks because it was too stressful. Is the 3070 still launching at 9 tomorrow? Gonna try to get one if it is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no the 3070 got delayed to the 29th, the day after AMD announces their new cards

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven't been keeping up on the GPU stuff in a few weeks because it was too stressful. Is the 3070 still launching at 9 tomorrow? Gonna try to get one if it is.

RTX 3070 launch has been delayed to October 29, one day after AMD's press conference announcing the RX 6000 series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cool, thanks. Probably works out better for me anyway since I’m moving soon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Riflen posted:

PowerVR.
:corsair:

Yo gramps is that a new VR headset?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

repiv posted:

The walking angle bug was actually always there in the PS4 version, it just wasn't obvious when everyone was using a controller and could precisely correct the angle.

I knew it!

I never got more than an hour into Horizon so I’d like to give it another go. My biggest gripe is a pretty minor one but I hate chat wheels.

“Oh you made it just in time for FloopTober!”

A. FloopTober?
B. Who are you?
C. How long have you been out here?
D. Uuuuuuggggghhhh *faaart*

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

noob question:
i recently upgraded my old r7260x with an RX 570 Gaming 8G Rev 2.0. what are the risks of undervolting and overclocking. currently i run it with an i54430 but i will use it the xeon e3 1246 v3

The risk is instability, and every game has its own little quirks that pinch the GPU in different ways. Maybe automatic and hard to detect throttling to keep the card stable if you push voltage too far down, not sure how sophisticated Polaris was in that regard, it's pretty old school tech compared to recent Zens/Navi and Nvidias stuff. It's a time consuming trial&error process if you wanna get every last drop out of it.

You can reduce the voltage for the top clock bracket to 1050mV no problem, maybe 1000 depending on silicon lottery. If you reduce clock just a little you can target sub 1000mV and run real efficient, overclocking 500's is a really bad move though.

Just lower volts and raise power limit to max, if you did it right (and the cooling is up to snuff) the card will run flatline-stable at max clocks which is the ideal scenario.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

NicelyNice posted:

That is $150-$200 cheaper than I've seen a 3080 anywhere else in Japan. Needless to say, planning and pricing my new build has been really depressing.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

sauer kraut posted:

The risk is instability, and every game has its own little quirks that pinch the GPU in different ways. Maybe automatic and hard to detect throttling to keep the card stable if you push voltage too far down, not sure how sophisticated Polaris was in that regard, it's pretty old school tech compared to recent Zens/Navi and Nvidias stuff. It's a time consuming trial&error process if you wanna get every last drop out of it.

You can reduce the voltage for the top clock bracket to 1050mV no problem, maybe 1000 depending on silicon lottery. If you reduce clock just a little you can target sub 1000mV and run real efficient, overclocking 500's is a really bad move though.

Just lower volts and raise power limit to max, if you did it right (and the cooling is up to snuff) the card will run flatline-stable at max clocks which is the ideal scenario.

i tried some things using these settings

every thing seems to be working right now, the card is running 10° hotter

the silicon lottery seems ok so i should have more space for overclocking-undervolting, yes?

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 14, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

apropos man posted:

Would a card like the MSI 3080 Trio fit, vertically mounted, into a Cooler Master NR200P if I use an AIO on the CPU?

I don't plan to buy just yet, but I might start prepping for it now. I might even shift my 1660 Super Gaming X into the NR200 and buy a SFX PSU before I snag a 3080.
Try asking in the SFF Thread, lots of enthusiasm for the NR200 there.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

denereal visease posted:

Try asking in the SFF Thread, lots of enthusiasm for the NR200 there.

In general I'd avoid configurations that have you bottom mounting an aio radiator since you're both increasing the likelihood you suck in air bubbles and that the air will get stuck in the block. Imo vertical mounting the gpu makes a lot more sense if you're doing custom loop at least in the nr200.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Theophany posted:

As I said, take the entire shaker. It's not like there's much longer to wait and see if there's any truth to it! :v:

MLID has been on this particular train since before 3080 launch. If it the cards do all of a sudden do flood the market in Nov at 50 to 100 dollars above MSRP then you know he was right all along, no conspiracy tin foil hat needed.

The fact that Nvidia has stopped FE sales already as he predicted in early September and the fact that other leakers having talked about the late October wave lends credence. I have not found independent verification of the supposed AIB rebate though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MikeC posted:

MLID has been on this particular train since before 3080 launch. If it the cards do all of a sudden do flood the market in Nov at 50 to 100 dollars above MSRP then you know he was right all along, no conspiracy tin foil hat needed.

The fact that Nvidia has stopped FE sales already as he predicted in early September and the fact that other leakers having talked about the late October wave lends credence. I have not found independent verification of the supposed AIB rebate though.

They didn't stop sales, though, did they? I thought they just decided to ship them all to BestBuy and let that storefront deal with the bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MikeC posted:

They didn't "stop FE sales," they just stopped trying to sell them directly on NVidia.com because their backend couldn't deal.

FE cards are still available through BestBuy, and there was a decent-sized drop of them a week ago.

e; the only card I'd be giving the side-eye at in terms of AIB rebates would be the ASUS TUF non-OC, which at $699 simply seems to be too good for its price. Everything else looks priced about right, and bumping everything by $50-$100 over existing prices as the "real" price would make no sense with the FE where it is.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 14, 2020