Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
How do you verify a CCIE certificate? Everything I found says to go to here but when I do that while logged into my Cisco account, I see this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow. Cisco broke their CCIE tool. It used to be you'd put the name + their number and it would return yes or no. I guess that was too elegant a solution for this brave new Web Three dot Oh world.

You might check here:
http://www.cciehof.com/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Powercrazy posted:

Wow. Cisco broke their CCIE tool. It used to be you'd put the name + their number and it would return yes or no. I guess that was too elegant a solution for this brave new Web Three dot Oh world.

You might check here:
http://www.cciehof.com/

Oh wow, didn't know that existed, thank you for confirming one of my ex's best friends was a lying sack of poo poo. Wish I could go back in time 4 years ago and shove this in his face.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sepist posted:

Oh wow, didn't know that existed, thank you for confirming one of my ex's best friends was a lying sack of poo poo. Wish I could go back in time 4 years ago and shove this in his face.

Just to caution you. That isn't a comprehensive/complete list. Many of the pre-10K CCIEs are missing and if you look you can see several gaps in the numbers etc. AFAIK only Cisco has a "definitive" list.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Bluecobra posted:

How do you verify a CCIE certificate? Everything I found says to go to here but when I do that while logged into my Cisco account, I see this:

Have them "publish" their credentials to you. It's a simple process through the Cisco/Integral Site. We make everyone do it if we are even phone interviewing.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

lol internet. posted:

Maybe checkout one of their webinars. You get a free AP (Meraki MR12) if you register to the webinar with a business email. Might not use it in the workplace, but it will probably beat any home router wifi.

Thanks for this. Guess a co-worker and I are getting free APs and T-shirts sent to us as well as a demo package of the rest of their stuff. Sounds like our company had been courted by Meraki for awhile but since we're an all cisco shop there wasn't much traction until recently ;)

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I recently bought a cisco catalyst 2950 switch and a cisco 2600 router to practice for my CCNA exam. I have the switch but not the router, I went ahead and plugged it into into my current network setup at home and am trying to access the ios command line. I don't have a console->usb adapter so I ripped the end off of a short ethernet cord and flipped an end over to make a rollover cable. However, since it hasn't been setup yet it doesn't have a telnet password and I am unable to access it just getting a "Password required, but none set" error.

Is there anything I can do about this via rollover cable or am I going to have to get the serial->usb adapter to be able to do my initial configurations?

Edit: It looks like I might be able to access the Express Setup via a straight through cable and set a password for the telnet through there assuming the previous owners cleared the memory completely before shipping it to me. Then use my rollover to access it via telnet and go from there to get to the ios command.

http://tinyurl.com/bgorsbz

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 10, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
get a serial connection...

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

I recently bought a cisco catalyst 2950 switch and a cisco 2600 router to practice for my CCNA exam. I have the switch but not the router, I went ahead and plugged it into into my current network setup at home and am trying to access the ios command line. I don't have a console->usb adapter so I ripped the end off of a short ethernet cord and flipped an end over to make a rollover cable. However, since it hasn't been setup yet it doesn't have a telnet password and I am unable to access it just getting a "Password required, but none set" error.

Is there anything I can do about this via rollover cable or am I going to have to get the serial->usb adapter to be able to do my initial configurations?

Edit: It looks like I might be able to access the Express Setup via a straight through cable and set a password for the telnet through there assuming the previous owners cleared the memory completely before shipping it to me. Then use my rollover to access it via telnet and go from there to get to the ios command.

http://tinyurl.com/bgorsbz

You can use another router and connect its AUX port to switch console port (using rollover cable you made).
If you don't have a router (yet) then get usb->serial adapter, or motherboard with serial port and cisco console cable.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I was able to use the express setup via a straight through cable plugged into one of the front switch ports after setting the password via the terminal for it. However, since I don't have the router there's not a whole lot I can do with it beyond just using it as a plug and play switch for my already existing network. Router gets here Monday but I'll be on out of pocket for two days on a business trip and won't be able to play with it until Wednesday.

Thanks for the help the two of you who answered, having these to play with will certainly make studying a bit more fun.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm looking to deploy a fresh environment for a service provider, a managed hosting datacenter with a DR site. Budget-wise, everything should be enterprise/carrier class but not going crazy if it's not necessary (eg: using a ASR1006 over a 1001 just because I want to)

They're looking at 10Gb for lan uplinks, but not to the servers. The sites have to be fault tolerant and security is a big concern. Here's an image link of the visio I've drawn up of the production network (Dev/QA will be firewalled off on it's own layer 3 segment), any comments/suggestions on it or the hardware I've listed for the first draft?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the advantage of using a nexus over a 6509 in that situation if the network follows a traditional hierarchical design?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Options, really. They said they want to have the best of everything with 10g with redundancy, so I'm giving them the option of Nexus with vPC or the Sup 720 10g with VSS. I haven't played with Nexus yet so I also have some personal agenda in here where I'm pushing more for Nexus

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Sepist posted:

Options, really. They said they want to have the best of everything with 10g with redundancy, so I'm giving them the option of Nexus with vPC or the Sup 720 10g with VSS. I haven't played with Nexus yet so I also have some personal agenda in here where I'm pushing more for Nexus

Sup720? What about the Sup2T which costs the same, is 80gigs per slot, has proper COPP etc.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

ior posted:

Sup720? What about the Sup2T which costs the same, is 80gigs per slot, has proper COPP etc.

I actually forgot the 2T came out. Thanks for reminding me!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If the sites need to be fault tolerant, why not double up on the cores and ASAs? Or is that implied?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Implied, I added that in after.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

Implied, I added that in after.

Not sure if you're doing any routing on your N7k pair from that picture, but if you are, I probably wouldn't. Dynamic routing and VPC's have traditionally had a lot of problems together.

Good call on the F5's!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

abigserve posted:

Not sure if you're doing any routing on your N7k pair from that picture, but if you are, I probably wouldn't. Dynamic routing and VPC's have traditionally had a lot of problems together.

Good call on the F5's!

There won't be any Layer 3 on the 5k's, will I still run into this problem? Is so that's a bit of a turn off.

edit: It looks like it has to do with routing over the vPC, should be fine for this implementation.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 11, 2013

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

There won't be any Layer 3 on the 5k's, will I still run into this problem? Is so that's a bit of a turn off.

edit: It looks like it has to do with routing over the vPC, should be fine for this implementation.

Read this when you get the chance: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

That's just the design. I've come across a couple of bugs when running L3, some of which minor (ipv6 stuff) and some major (we ended up completely ditching VPC as a concept and going back to one chassis with dual line-cards for everything due to one OSPF bug).

Granted this was like, 2 years ago. So I'd expect these problems to be fixed - hence "traditionally" - If I can find the problem in the bug toolkit I'll link it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are you doing a lot of layer 7 load balancing? Why F5?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

Are you doing a lot of layer 7 load balancing? Why F5?

It's a managed hosting provider, so I'd imagine they're looking to load balance HTTP/HTTPS. I'm also guessing the convenience of the integrated IPS is appealing. Plus the font of the appliance looks pretty rad (this is important).

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Plus the font of the appliance looks pretty rad (this is important).

This cannot be stressed enough. Who want's to be giving a tour showing off ugly faceplates? Not this guy.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

It's a managed hosting provider, so I'd imagine they're looking to load balance HTTP/HTTPS. I'm also guessing the convenience of the integrated IPS is appealing. Plus the font of the appliance looks pretty rad (this is important).

All 3 are correct assumptions about this network.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Since everything is from scratch, have you consider looking at Juniper? MX5 for ASR1k, SRRX650/SRX1400(?) for ASA, EX8200/9200 core, EX4500 (10gig x 40) dist, 4200/3200/2200 access.

Just curious.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

So 3850 switches. We're paying to beta test some right now cause we figured they'd be solid enough like the 3750s for a few things. We're probably sending the pair back tomorrow and getting some 3750-X's for a distribution layer at a smaller site. Pieces of poo poo adding massive jitter to the network when we tried to deploy them.

Lesson learned, wait a few code trains before buying newer gear

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

falz posted:

Since everything is from scratch, have you consider looking at Juniper? MX5 for ASR1k, SRRX650/SRX1400(?) for ASA, EX8200/9200 core, EX4500 (10gig x 40) dist, 4200/3200/2200 access.

Just curious.

I'm not familiar with Juniper so I hadn't looked at it. The other half of this is that besides designing it, I'm also leading the team that will ultimately implement so I have been sticking with my guns.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

falz posted:

Just curious.

Agreed, OP.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Keep in mind that when deploying the Nexus 2k FEX, that they cannot local switch, all traffic, even L2 adjacent ports on the FEX must go up to the 5k then back down to communicate.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

routenull0 posted:

Keep in mind that when deploying the Nexus 2k FEX, that they cannot local switch, all traffic, even L2 adjacent ports on the FEX must go up to the 5k then back down to communicate.

Thanks for pointing this out, I got a different response from a Cisco guy at a VAR we're working with... He was suggesting 5k core in building A, with 2k FEXs in building B doing for our racks and storage traffic. Really don't want storage traffic hairpinning, I don't think.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Mierdaan posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, I got a different response from a Cisco guy at a VAR we're working with... He was suggesting 5k core in building A, with 2k FEXs in building B doing for our racks and storage traffic. Really don't want storage traffic hairpinning, I don't think.

You should forward him this documentation straight from the horses mouth:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_4_0_1a/FEX-overview.html

Specifically this portion:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_4_0_1a/FEX-overview.html#wp1197054

quote:

The Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extender does not perform any local switching. All traffic is sent to the parent switch that provides central forwarding and policy enforcement, including host-to-host communications between two systems connected to the same Fabric Extender

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
So realistically the 2k Extender is literally just a device to help with cabling and port density I'm taking?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
It's an external line card, basically.

This is a stupid question but has anyone used the 5k/2k for ToR/EoR iSCSI backup network? This is another requirement I need to add to the visio and I'm thinking I'm just gonna suggest nexus.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

psydude posted:

I think F5s look really ugly.

What is that giant red Rudolph reindeer nose, anyway?

Plus it reminds me of a clown for some reason.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

I think F5s look really ugly.

What is that giant red Rudolph reindeer nose, anyway?

Plus it reminds me of a clown for some reason.

Because you'll never mistake it for cheap home-grown linux load balancers. ;)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sepist posted:

It's an external line card, basically.

This is a stupid question but has anyone used the 5k/2k for ToR/EoR iSCSI backup network? This is another requirement I need to add to the visio and I'm thinking I'm just gonna suggest nexus.

Besides the obvious "no local switching" I know there are some caveats if you are deploying them as ToR and server teaming. I originally understood it to be that you could not build a server LACP/etherchannel bundle across two different FEX modules, but the following article seems to state otherwise, but it is also dependent on how you deploy the 5k/2k configuration. Not sure if you are looking to deploy with multiple 5k/2k setup though.

http://packetpushers.net/cisco-nexus-2000-a-lovehate-relationship/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Not sure how many racks they're going to need as of yet, it's all high level right now. Just had a budget conversation with them, might need to look at global traffic managers for multiple DC L7 load balancing..

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
You can run Nexus 2ks in a variety of ways. You can plug them into Nexus 5ks or 7ks and you can either connect them to just one upstream switch or two for extra resiliency.

They're great when you know your traffic goes "north/south" as opposed to "east/west." I think if I were running storage traffic on them I'd just plug the storage into the 5k/7k directly to avoid that traffic hairpinning.

I'm currently running vPC/LACP across multiple 2ks without issue. I like using the FEX's because you can bolt on a shitload of switchports without having to deal with STP or anything funky like Fabricpath. It's like using 40+ slot Nexus 7ks.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Anyone have any tips or a list of "Radio reset codes" for Cisco? I've got an 1141 autonomous AP and the Dot11Radio0 interface keeps going into reset status every few days for seemingly no reason, then I have to reload to get the radio back up. Running firmware 12.4(21a)JA1. Connected to a Cisco POE injector.

I see a "Last radio reset code 06" when I do sh controller dot11radio 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I have an 1841 router serving my home network. It's running 12.4(13r) and is sitting between my DOCSIS3 modem and an Apple Airport Extreme. It doesn't have any WLAN HWICs installed and I've never set it up for wireless, but there's one entry in "show int" and "show run" that always bugs me:

code:
Virtual-Dot11Radio1 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is Virtual Dot11 interface, address is 0000.0000.0000 (bia 0000.0000.0000)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 0 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 13w6d
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/30 (size/max)
  5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
     0 input packets with dribble condition detected
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
     0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
code:
!
interface Virtual-Dot11Radio1
 no ip address
!
I've tried shutdowning that interface, tried removing it from the config, and so on, but it persists no matter what I do to try to remove it. What's the purpose of this phantom interface and why does it stick around on a non-WLAN-configured router? What can I do to get rid of it?