Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Maytag posted:

Thanks Buscemi. I tip if the person behind the counter is especially friendly and interested in the inane poo poo I like to say. Compare the vivacity of a grocery store clerk to a barista some time.

If they did actually go above and beyond and improve your experience, then by all means, tip. I probably would too in that situation. But baristas shouldn't simply expect a tip, like wait staff do. It's always assumed that you will tip the wait staff regardless of if they brightened your day, unless they were horrible, I don't see why the same should apply to baristas or other counter jockeys.

I find barbers/stylists to be a combination of wait staff and cook: They not only provide the paid-for service but they can also go above and beyond, giving you an awesome haircut, giving you a great conversation for 20 minutes, etc. Which is why I expect they get tipped.

Do massage therapists get tips?

And you might have a point - maybe grocery stores should have tip jars. Although, since their job is far less creative than a barista's (you don't exactly have to follow a twelve-step checklist to scan groceries) it might be a stretch.

It would be interesting to see a study that checked if service was different at coffee shops depending on the presence of a tip jar. Not how much money was put in it, just merely the presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Is anyone here up on their Norse mythology?

I'm translating a book and in it they talk about Ymir. In it they say that Ymir was (non-specifically) born from the ginnungagap. Then because he was all alone for so long he let out a loud roar* which made lots of pools in the ginnungagap creating other frost giants. However I can't find any reference for this version in English, has anyone heard of this? According to stuff like wikipedia the frost giants are made from the sweat of Ymir.

*Just FYI I know Ymir means roar, but in the text they specifically call him 'Ymir' but use another word for roar, so I'm fairly certain I'm not mis-translating it.

From Old Trusty (aka Bulfinch's Mythologoy):

Ymir: In Norse mythology, a primeval giant, the Norse equivalent of Chaos, who was killed by Odin, Vili, and Ve, who made of his body the world. His blood was the sea, the skull the heavens, etc. The maggots arising in his dead body became the black or night elves. Yggdrasil, the "Tree of the Universe", grew out of Ymir, and when he tries to shake off its weight, the Earth quakes. See also Mimir.

Eyeball posted:

Do you feel significantly more confident and sexually attractive when you're in a relationship?

Yes, but I'm a co-dependent, emotional cripple. Don't be like me.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

If they did actually go above and beyond and improve your experience, then by all means, tip. I probably would too in that situation. But baristas shouldn't simply expect a tip, like wait staff do. It's always assumed that you will tip the wait staff regardless of if they brightened your day, unless they were horrible, I don't see why the same should apply to baristas or other counter jockeys.

I find barbers/stylists to be a combination of wait staff and cook: They not only provide the paid-for service but they can also go above and beyond, giving you an awesome haircut, giving you a great conversation for 20 minutes, etc. Which is why I expect they get tipped.
I tip my hair girl at least 25% since I don't see her often. She takes a hour and change to cut/wash my hair and the result lasts 6-8 weeks. Plus I like getting my appointments within two days of calling.

quote:

Yes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
A picket fence, if the horizontal rails and uprights in the ground are on your side, it's not your fence correct? This is what I've always believed since I was a kid.

We bought a house 2 years ago and my wife keeps talking about replacing 1 fence that has a bunch of rotting wood and nails sticking out. But it's not our fence based on my above belief.

A storm last night took out half of a big tree in my yard that fell and collapsed 20 feet of that fence.

Wife's first words were "We're not paying for it" and she said something about her sister saying if the branches were green (they were) and not dead, its considered an act of god no negligence on our part and he pays for the whole fence. (she finally believes it's his!)

I say, it's our tree that killed his fence, I think we owe him something. But when I'm thinking "owing something" I mean something with about 20 years of depreciation taken out of it.

What say you guys? I can help put it back up, it's not completely destroyed. Few pickets few 2x4s, few hours is probably all it needs to be ugly and rotting but still standing like it was yesterday. Or if he wants to replace the whole thing as he should, I'm in a better place with the back of a new fence facing me than I was yesterday with the back of an ugly one. What should I offer there?

(and before I get the typical talk to him not the internet, I would have but he leaves for work way earlier than I get up)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 10, 2011

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Golbez posted:

I can't remember what thread it was in but it came down to it depends. A massage therapist in a spa expected tips but a massage therapist for health reasons (in a clinic setting) was insulted.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wagonburner posted:

she said something about her sister saying if it was a green (it was) and not dead branch its considered an act of god no negligence on our part and he pays for the whole fence.

This is correct, you don't owe him anything. The direction that the fence faces doesn't matter, it's just most people choose to have the nice side facing them, unless it borders a street. This would be a good time to replace the fence. Maybe he takes care of getting the old one torn down and you can build a new one on your side of the property line. If that much of your tree was damaged it will probably die and then it will be your responsibility to get it taken down.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I was under the impression that most neighbours split the cost of building fences. So it's probably your problem as well as the neighbour's. Have to talk it out with them in any case.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Wagonburner posted:

A picket fence, if the horizontal rails and uprights in the ground are on your side, it's not your fence correct? This is what I've always believed since I was a kid.

I'm assuming neither you nor your neighbor put up the fence but it was built by a previous owner? I would assume then the owner of the fence would be determined by your property line. This should be in your survey results when the house was purchased (in with your title insurance). If you don't know who owns that piece of land you'll either have to decide amicably or get a survey performed. Also, lawyers could become involved.

Also, wouldn't you or your neighbors home owner's insurance cover the fence?

EDIT: As far as fences it depends. I know my parents built their fence that backs to a neighbors house on their own dime. Also, grammar!

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 10, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Thank you all.

If someone split the cost with him it was a long-rear end time ago, he's lived there since 1980 he said and the fence could possibly be that old. I know my house has had at least 2 different owners in the 10 years before I bought it.

edit:

I'm guessing he built or had the fence installed since he said he lived there since '80, that's when these houses were built.

And I doubt the damage done meets even a $500 insurance deductible unless they typically replace old rotting fences that 20% of got knocked down. (but they did give me a whole new roof because hail knocked some gravel off some shingles in spots that I couldn't even see)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 10, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Sinestro posted:

What are the dimensions of a standard dorm room desk?

AFAIK there's no such thing, it varies according to the college and the dorm.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

gariig posted:

I'm assuming neither you nor your neighbor put up the fence but it was built by a previous owner? I would assume then the owner of the fence would be determined by your property line. This should be in your survey results when the house was purchased (in with your title insurance). If you don't know who owns that piece of land you'll either have to decide amicably or get a survey performed. Also, lawyers could become involved.

Also, wouldn't you or your neighbors home owner's insurance cover the fence?

EDIT: As far as fences it depends. I know my parents built their fence that backs to a neighbors house on their own dime. Also, grammar!

If the fence is 30 years old then property line is irrelevant and is legally re-drawn based on the use. Welcome to the world of Adverse Possession.

As to HO insurance, it may still be covered (depends on state and policy). Also, if his (neighbor's) policy is 30 years old, he may have a grandfathered deductible (<$500).

But in all reality, speak with the neighbor. He may not even care about replacement.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

spregalia posted:

If the fence is 30 years old then property line is irrelevant and is legally re-drawn based on the use. Welcome to the world of Adverse Possession.

I didn't bring that up because his title insurer should have figured out there was a significant encroachment on his title insurance. Otherwise it's probably right on the property line.

Also, the neighbor would need to bring a Quiet Title lawsuit and prove he has been maintaining the fence for the 30 years. This might be a good time to figure out where that fence lies on the property lines if it's not in your title insurance packet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Your tree fell on the fence, just fix the drat thing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FCKGW posted:

That's kind of what I've been thinking but the wife and at least one person here seem to think otherwise. I'm trying to leave work early to get to work there, I'd guess there's 1500 or so pounds of tree on top for me to cut and move but I'm going to try and see if I can do that and get the fence up with a few 2x4s I already have, maybe before he gets home. I only noticed a few broken pickets this morning but I don't know whats underneath all the tree.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Wagonburner posted:

Uh, wait, what?

If the posts and horizontal rails face inward (towards YOUR house), then it's your fence.

Apply the principle to a hypothetical situation where you would build a picket fence around your front yard. Wouldn't you want just the pickets to show towards the street, not the ugly posts and support?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
e: hey look at that a whole cell phone sub forum thingy :downs:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 11, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Uh, wait, what?

If the posts and horizontal rails face inward (towards YOUR house), then it's your fence.

Apply the principle to a hypothetical situation where you would build a picket fence around your front yard. Wouldn't you want just the pickets to show towards the street, not the ugly posts and support?

yeah really. It also would make it easier for people/things to climb into your yard if the horizontal strips were on the outside.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
what are the dimensions of a crate of 24 500ml cans of lager in feet and inches?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Pennant posted:

what are the dimensions of a crate of 24 500ml cans of lager in feet and inches?

This help?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Uh, wait, what?

We're talking backyards, 6 foot privacy fence. Should have said privacy instead of picket. I know what you mean now. (waist-high double-spaced thing) Privacy fences though my dad, my friends dads, when I was a kid and everyone I've ever known who've built fences put the pickets facing in, for good looks in their backyard, rails out so you can't see them.

Only people who do otherwise with a privacy fence that I've see are people with corner-lots who have part of their backyard fence facing the street. To look good from the street and to not be able to climb.

Got the half-tree cut up and moved. Neighbor confirmed that fence was 30 years old, 2 of the posts got cracked and uprooted from the ground so no easy fixing it yesterday. He seems to be indicating he'll be fixing himself and not holding me responsible, I didn't press the issue though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 11, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Any type of fence I've ever seen has had the posts facing the inside, probably something that differs from region to region.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Pweller posted:

Any type of fence I've ever seen has had the posts facing the inside, probably something that differs from region to region.

Legally speaking, this will have a definite answer depending on the law where you are, and you should ask a lawyer (I expect there's a thread for that): no need to rely on internet strangers who might have seen a fence once.

Morally speaking, this:

FCKGW posted:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Reading about the above fence saga made me think of my own question to ask. My neighbor has a huge oak tree in her yard that's right on the edge of my property. Some of the branches are growing over into my yard, and a couple are basically resting on my roof. Since it's hurricane season and Charleston is overdue, I'd really like to go ahead and trim these back. I'm planning on asking her permission before I do anything, but if she makes a fuss about it can I just do it anyway?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

Reading about the above fence saga made me think of my own question to ask. My neighbor has a huge oak tree in her yard that's right on the edge of my property. Some of the branches are growing over into my yard, and a couple are basically resting on my roof. Since it's hurricane season and Charleston is overdue, I'd really like to go ahead and trim these back. I'm planning on asking her permission before I do anything, but if she makes a fuss about it can I just do it anyway?

If the branches are in your property, you don't have to ask permission. In fact, most city ordinances require that there be nothing within 6 inches to 1 foot of the border of the property. So, you could effectively get the tree removed if your ordinances were that way (if you wanted to).

But, yea, just ask to trim it back if you don't wanna come off as a dick.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
The neighborly thing to do would be for both of you to fix the fence together, Wagonburner.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

The Human Cow posted:

You'd have to check your local ordinances, but most places I've lived let you trim trees to your property line without needing permission. But you would be responsible for removing the cut-off limbs (i.e. you can't just dump them over the fence into the neighbor's yard) and you can't damage the tree.

Since you are planning on talking to her about it first, make sure you keep the two points above in mind if you need to give her reassurance.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
If you have a privacy fence the posts need to be inside to mark your yard.

If they aren't how are your kids going to climb the fence?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The Human Cow posted:

Shade from trees can also contribute to mold in your roof, which is really bad regardless of hurricanes.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Who's in the painting above the fireplace in the guest interview area on the Colbert Report?

Colbert in the background portrait within a portrait, but the foreground is someone else now?

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
If my aunt (mom's sister) divorces her husband, is he still technically (legally) my uncle?

dvotx
Mar 9, 2011

Dudebro posted:

Who's in the painting above the fireplace in the guest interview area on the Colbert Report?

Colbert in the background portrait within a portrait, but the foreground is someone else now?
Fairly sure it's still Colbert, they just add another level of 'depth' I suppose you say every anniversary of the show, or at least that's what they've done throughout the past.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
Is it possible that anime conventions and associated nerd stuff is becoming so mainstream that thinking that stuff is for ugly retarded fruitcakes with questionable taste in gross pedo poo poo will become the new loser thing?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Floofykins posted:

If my aunt (mom's sister) divorces her husband, is he still technically (legally) my uncle?

Casually: no. If he was your uncle by marriage only, then as soon as the marriage is null, so is the "uncle" relationship.

--that's according to Yahoo Answers; if you need a more definite "legal" answer, you should probably consult a lawyer in your state.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Floofykins posted:

AFAIK, "uncle" isn't really a term that's legally defined like mother or father or guardian. It's not really uncommon for parents to call a close adult family friend "Uncle _______" even if no blood relation exists. So if you want the person to be your uncle, they can be your uncle.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Zewle posted:

Is it possible that anime conventions and associated nerd stuff is becoming so mainstream that thinking that stuff is for ugly retarded fruitcakes with questionable taste in gross pedo poo poo will become the new loser thing?

Pretty much. Nerds are the new cool and more likely to become millionaires (ala Mark Zuckerberg). The new 'yuppies' I would dare say.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading the latest update to the woman who got her face and hands torn off by a chimp and I am once again wondering, what is it about chimps that makes them so drat strong? Their arms sure don't LOOK much different than ours. Are their muscles structured radically differently? And if so, how can we get muscles like theirs? If we had their power to weight ratio, couldn't we lift up cars and jump over buildings and stuff?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was reading the latest update to the woman who got her face and hands torn off by a chimp and I am once again wondering, what is it about chimps that makes them so drat strong? Their arms sure don't LOOK much different than ours. Are their muscles structured radically differently? And if so, how can we get muscles like theirs? If we had their power to weight ratio, couldn't we lift up cars and jump over buildings and stuff?

I don't think it's that they're so strong, it's that they have absolutely no compulsion about using their fingers and nails as weapons. I could be completely wrong though, since I am talking out my rear end here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.slate.com/id/2212232/

Their strength appears to have been exaggerated, but they are still a lot stronger than humans

quote:

But it is a fact that chimpanzees and other apes are stronger than humans. How did we get to be the weaklings of the primate order? Our overall body architecture makes a difference: Even though chimpanzees weigh less than humans, more of their mass is concentrated in their powerful arms. But a more important factor seems to be the structure of the muscles themselves. A chimpanzee's skeletal muscle has longer fibers than the human equivalent and can generate twice the work output over a wider range of motion. In the past few years, geneticists have identified the loci for some of these anatomical differences. One gene, for example, called MYH16, contributes to the development of large jaw muscles in other apes. In humans, MYH16 has been deactivated. (Puny jaws have marked our lineage for as least 2 million years.) Many people have also lost another muscle-related gene called ACTN3. People with two working versions of this gene are overrepresented among elite sprinters while those with the nonworking version are overrepresented among endurance runners. Chimpanzees and all other nonhuman primates have only the working version; in other words, they're on the powerful, "sprinter" end of the spectrum.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Huh, that's really interesting. Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, I remember reading about that muscle difference in humans before, I guess chimps are just an extreme version of that. Anyway, when is the gene therapy going to appear to double the work output of human muscles? That seems way more promising for making super-soldiers than the robot suits that Raytheon is working on.