Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

However, they are two people who have no rapport with the forest whatsoever. Even if the court finds her behaviour rude and disrespectful, Annie's still the most qualified.

It would be fun to see Smitty or Parley chosen over her, though.

It sort of depends on how the medium is chosen. If its purely appointed by the Court, they're going to want someone who's loyal to that side of the river which Annie clearly is not. Recall that Surma wasn't particularly neutral either, she was just biased in the opposite direction.

Even if its chosen by consensus between the Court and forest, at this point Coyote is going to want someone he can use Annie and the Court is going to want someone they can use Smitty or Parley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Fecha posted:

I imagine there are big trees or rocky areas in the forest--keep in mind we've barely seen anything of the months she spent there. And climbing shoes are designed to be tight and uncomfortable, so not great for hiking. Maybe she's climbing barefoot?
Yay I finally predicted something :allears:

Annie's flippant 'tude is quickly being established as a concern, here. I wonder if it's going to be a Plot Issue that she's becoming too biased towards the Forest mode of thinking?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Zerilan posted:

Coyote seems powerful enough to mostly just do whatever he wants anyway, especially while in the forest, which is probably part of the reason Eglamore always wears his formal dragon slayer suit when he goes over the bridge, since it also includes some manner of defending himself.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if in addition to being a battle-ready suit of armor, that thing's got six miles of etheric wards etched into it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Speaking of the end of the comic, how far into it do you guys think we're in? Tea-san said he has an ending in mind so it won't go on forever, but he just started on it full-time a few months ago, and presumably he wouldn't have done so unless there was still a ways to go.

I've been following Gunnerkrigg for over seven years now; I wonder if I'll still be reading it in another seven years? A little nuts to think about that notion.

I could quite easily see it going up to chapter 80+ or so, we're two and half years into Annie's studies (assuming she finishes the whole five years) so that could put us at about the halfway point in the comic, too, I suppose.

If I had to guess, I'd say we're very near the beginning of Act 2 (if this were a traditional 3-act narrative, which is clearly isn't), roughly, and we've only just recently gotten there. Basically the point at which the setting and almost all main characters have been well-established, and we're seeing the beginnings of what might become ongoing conflicts for the protagonists to solve -- Jeanne, whatever Anthony is doing, more Court/Annie/Forest tension, Kat's Robot Cult, vague Zimmy Problems, and whatever else I might have forgotten.

We don't know which of those "conflicts" are actually going to become the most central parts of the overall story, since GC is far from finished, plus GC's manner of story and character exposition is fairly non-traditional, so it's hard to point to a specific chapter and say "this is turning point where Act 1 transitions into Act 2." Though if I had to give an answer to that, I'd say it happens around Coward Heart, Fire Spike, and From the Forest She Came.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Woah. Kinda off-topic, but I was just rereading a bit and noticed this page seems much more relevant in light of Kat's techno bird angel reveal:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=877

Notice the sky near the end, in particular. I never caught that before.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Waffnuffly posted:

Woah. Kinda off-topic, but I was just rereading a bit and noticed this page seems much more relevant in light of Kat's techno bird angel reveal:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=877

Notice the sky near the end, in particular. I never caught that before.

Isn't that Antimony's etheric presence, though? Kat isn't able to project hers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maybe I'm extrapolating too much but in light of one of last chapter's implications, panel 3 is kinda funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In terms of how long the Comic has to go - Annie is third year and I wouldn't be surprised if this does the usual school narrative thing and wraps up at the end of her last year. She's currently 9th, she has 10th, 11th, and two years of Sixth Form.

Of course, how long each year is in terms of pages is entirely variable. I for one hope for exponential growth.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 5, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, this is assuming that nothing happens to interfere or disrupt the school system :eng99:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Isn't that Antimony's etheric presence, though? Kat isn't able to project hers.

Hmm, yeah, actually you're probably right. The trail looks like it's coming from Annie, not Kat. I just noticed how bird-like it is.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

Hmm, yeah, actually you're probably right. The trail looks like it's coming from Annie, not Kat. I just noticed how bird-like it is.

We actually see Annie do that again in full ether-vison in Red Gets a Name.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MikeJF posted:

Of course, how long each year is in terms of pages is entirely variable. I for one hope for exponential growth.

Courtstuck?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Your name is FOOTSTINK BARFWENCH ANTIMONY CARVER. Your room is SPARSELY DECORATED. You have relatively few notable INTERESTS. You are familiar with the FOLKLORE OF MANY CULTURES. You like to build robots but you are NOT VERY GOOD AT IT. You speak an ABSURDLY LARGE NUMBER OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES. Though a number of BIZARRE AND TRAUMATIC OCCURENCES have happened to you, you manage to carry yourself with an aloof and dispassionate AIR. However, you allow yourself to be more open and emotional around your best friend for LIFE, KATERINA DONLAN.

Your chumhandle is alchemicalConflagration and you type with strikingly impeccable diction.

What will you do?

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 5, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
MERGE ALL BSS AVATAR FADS

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Rasamune posted:

Your name is FOOTSTINK BARFWENCH ANTIMONY CARVER. Your room is SPARSELY DECORATED. You have relatively few notable INTERESTS. You are familiar with the FOLKLORE OF MANY CULTURES. You like to build robots but you are NOT VERY GOOD AT IT. You speak an ABSURDLY LARGE NUMBER OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES. Though a number of BIZARRE AND TRAUMATIC OCCURENCES have happened to you, you manage to carry yourself with an aloof and dispassionate AIR. However, you allow yourself to be more open and emotional around your best friend for LIFE, KATERINA DONLAN.

Your chumhandle is alchemicalConflagration and you type with strikingly impeccable diction.

What will you do?

Retrieve blinker stone

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
NO NO NO WE ARE NOT DOING THIS GET THE gently caress OUT

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meh, already been done.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'm having trouble getting any pages to load.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pester posted:

I'm having trouble getting any pages to load.

DownForEveryoneOrJustMe posted:

It's not just you! http://gunnerkrigg.com looks down from here.

Stop hammering the archives, people, you're DoS'ing the site :downs:.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Does it make me a bad fan if I want to see Annie taken down a peg? I really dislike when characters cross the line from confidence to arrogance, which I feel Annie has these past two pages.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's just because she's talking to Eglamore.

Ever since she learned about "Jimmy Jims" things just haven't been the same between them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I like that Annie is being bolder. She's been threatened by a god and deceived by the Court and came through it all the stronger. I can't say I blame her for a bit of arrogance or rebelliousness.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Cozz posted:

Does it make me a bad fan if I want to see Annie taken down a peg? I really dislike when characters cross the line from confidence to arrogance, which I feel Annie has these past two pages.

Well, I feel the same way. And really, Annie's had it happen in the past. Her trying to blast Jack during that party. And the whole conversation that had her run to the Court to begin with.

I like to think that Annie isn't a character we're supposed to think of as 100% in the right and great all the time, but who actually can get cocky or even downright mean. (The Reynard thing.)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Elysiume posted:

I like that Annie is being bolder. She's been threatened by a god and deceived by the Court and came through it all the stronger. I can't say I blame her for a bit of arrogance or rebelliousness.

She's come through it all the stronger, but she's still dealing with a Trickster God and a shadowy organization that has an almost Big Brother-esque system of control over its citizenry. She'd do well to know her place.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gunnerkrigg doesn't really seem like the kind of story that's going to end with Antimony lobotomized in a shadow government's secret facility ala Brazil.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not literally, but between whatever was going on with her and her dad(?) and what the court did to Jeanne once upon a time I wouldn't be too trusting :tinfoil:

At the same time, I'm pretty sure the forest has plenty of dangers as well that she simply is ignoring or is ignorant of at the moment.

Basically I think Annie is being too flippant about both sides :ohdear:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gunnerkrigg doesn't seem that way to us, but she doesn't know that. Though in a kinda sometimes annoying reversal of the normal fortunes, she does know more than we do at this point still.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tom strikes me as the sort of writer who subscribes to the dictum that storytelling is about thinking of the worst thing that could possibly happen to your character and then making that happen.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bongo Bill posted:

Tom strikes me as the sort of writer who subscribes to the dictum that storytelling is about thinking of the worst thing that could possibly happen to your character and then making that happen.

So the same philosophy as Kazerad (Prequel)?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Bongo Bill posted:

Really? Because I've yet to see a character get raped, tortured or murdered (or forced to watch said activities happening to love ones) in Gunnerkrigg.
Well, maybe that green guy Jeane loved was murdered, but, hardly a main character.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dodgeball posted:

Really? Because I've yet to see a character get raped, tortured or murdered (or forced to watch said activities happening to love ones) in Gunnerkrigg.
Well, maybe that green guy Jeane loved was murdered, but, hardly a main character.

Well, you don't have to be hyperbolic about it. It's the personal tragedies that produce a stronger result, not just generic calamity.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I really don't want Annie to lose her hand from Coyote's bind (if it's still there), but I guess I wouldn't mind seeing her not be the first choice for medium or go serve a detention.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cozz posted:

I really don't want Annie to lose her hand from Coyote's bind (if it's still there), but I guess I wouldn't mind seeing her not be the first choice for medium or go serve a detention.

Nah, the bind fell off way back during 'From the forest she came', so unless Annie's really off the ball and lets Coyote put another one on her she should be good (if she'd even have a choice?)

Also I think it'd be an interesting reversal of our and the characters expectations if the Court's higher ups decided that Annie was too uncontrollable/biased/a liability/etc. and stopped backing her for the position of Medium (at least temporarily).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, you don't have to be hyperbolic about it. It's the personal tragedies that produce a stronger result, not just generic calamity.

Reminder that the treatises have shown Annie and Kat growing increasingly further apart.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Bongo Bill posted:

A lot of really good things happen to Annie, too. She has great and interesting friends (a robot, a ghost, a shadow person, a teleporter, a guy who can manipulate fate, a talking/transforming plush toy, oh, and her BFF who's a science whiz), she gets to leave the monotony of the Court and visit a magical forest where she hangs out WITH A GOD. Oh, and bonus-sword that cuts through anything and a stone that lets her see things others can't.

You said Tom makes his characters experience the worst things, but really, the worst thing that happened to Annie is her father's an (seemingly) uncaring parent, and her mom died. There's dragging a character through pointless toil and drama to make you feel empathy for said character, and then there's Gunnerkrigg Court.

I am basically countering your notion of Tom putting his characters through "the worst" as a crutch for drama and just positing that he is writing drama (which is sprinkled with many moments of levity).

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Bongo Bill posted:

I think he keeps it pretty balanced! Friendly antics are starting to fall to the wayside as the plot threatens the characters. If you feel GC is too downward-spiraly, then I hope for your sake that you never touch a George R.R. Martin book.

On another note, I do like Annie's flaws. They're not just a "suddenly I am a teenager and will yell and whine at everyone unreasonably" Harry Potter type deal. She isn't one-note-- her dissociation, angry fits, and smug condescension are all chronic and realistic phases she goes through. Kat's reactions to Annie leaving and finding out about Diego were really cool, too. There wasn't any "how dare you" melodrama, just a sort of simmering callousness to her.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Go, Go, Wooden Arm-Stairs!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aww, that's just adorable :3:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Man, this page sure is pretty. And I love the arm reshapeing into branches for her to stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He's totally smiling on the inside. :colbert: