Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I just got myself a Bionic. I was going to use this method to root it. I was kind of thinking of sticking with stock rom for now as the custom roms for Bionic seem kind of hit and miss with functionality from what little I have read so far.

This is a dumb question and I feel like with my skill level with rooting I should know this but.....will I still be able to get the stock OTA updates with the phone rooted? For example whenever they finally release ICS for Bionic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2023

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah I usually strip out a bunch of the bundled sense apps and widgets out of any Sense UI rom I run. Having clutter in my app drawer irritates me. Frankly the only reason I'm running it at all right now is Cm7.1 started to bore me and was giving me weird lag issues.

My phone has a mind of its own and likes to have a changeup every few months but only if it's stock firmware or Cyanogen. Everything else I usually have a bitch running consistently.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ApexAftermath posted:

I just got myself a Bionic. I was going to use this method to root it. I was kind of thinking of sticking with stock rom for now as the custom roms for Bionic seem kind of hit and miss with functionality from what little I have read so far.

This is a dumb question and I feel like with my skill level with rooting I should know this but.....will I still be able to get the stock OTA updates with the phone rooted? For example whenever they finally release ICS for Bionic.

I'm curious, why did you get a Bionic over the Razr?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm curious, why did you get a Bionic over the Razr?

Cheaper. I got the Bionic for basically $50 after best buy gave me a $50 gift card for re-upping with them.

EDIT: Well I got it all rooted. Next thing is doing the sql hack and getting wifi tether working. I really like the phone so far. I had an OG Droid before this so it is quite a step up for me.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My very happy friend's Droid 2 is finally rooted with CM7. So glad to be done with that!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ApexAftermath posted:

Cheaper. I got the Bionic for basically $50 after best buy gave me a $50 gift card for re-upping with them.

EDIT: Well I got it all rooted. Next thing is doing the sql hack and getting wifi tether working. I really like the phone so far. I had an OG Droid before this so it is quite a step up for me.

What's the sql hack? Also, let me know how wifi tethering works for you, I might be interested in doing that with my bionic later.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

What's the sql hack? Also, let me know how wifi tethering works for you, I might be interested in doing that with my bionic later.

I am going to use the method in this video.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ApexAftermath posted:

will I still be able to get the stock OTA updates with the phone rooted? For example whenever they finally release ICS for Bionic.

If you're looking to stick a ROM on it, Eclipse 2.1 seems to be the best balance of performance while not having a bunch of extra insanely cumbersome customization from the ROM builder.

As for OTA updates, you can be rooted and still receive them. HOWEVER, it's entirely within the realm of reality for an OTA to break root, causing you to have to re-root with a new method.

In addition, OTA's will refuse to install if you have removed bloatware and certain system apps. If you're stock-rooted it's much better to use Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware rather than uninstalling it.

Also, there's FXZ files out there that will flash you right out to the new .902 Bionic update, should you feel like running a "clean install" of the newest version. Odds are you're still sitting on .886 or .893.

Mr. Despair posted:

The answer for rooted Bionics (and most Android phones in general) is always going to be Android-Wifi-Tether. Grab the newest version of that app, set the device profile to "Targa" (code name for the bionic) and tethering works perfectly. I've been doing it this way for months.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

Odds are you're still sitting on .886 or .893.

The answer for rooted Bionics (and most Android phones in general) is always going to be Android-Wifi-Tether. Grab the newest version of that app, set the device profile to "Targa" (code name for the bionic) and tethering works perfectly. I've been doing it this way for months.

I did update to the newest .902 and then I rooted. Worked good.

Is android wi-fi tether still the way to go then? This video I linked shows the guy using the stock app for mobile hotspot. You just have to edit an entry using a sql editor and it just works. Would there be any downside? I guess I just don't understand the different or why someone would use one method vs another.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

ProjektorBoy posted:

I know you're talking about the Bionic here, but I have never been able to get android-wifi-tether to work in my Evo3d. I've gone back 3 versions, and made sure to select the HTC EVO 3D device in options, but I can never seem to connect.

Balls!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

godzirraRAWR posted:

I know you're talking about the Bionic here, but I have never been able to get android-wifi-tether to work in my Evo3d. I've gone back 3 versions, and made sure to select the HTC EVO 3D device in options, but I can never seem to connect.

Balls!

I was never able to get it to work, either. Nor Barnacle, for that matter.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I've tried using the Forums Search and can't really find anything so...

is there a way to get ICS on an original AT&T ATRIX? If yes, any pointers?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

smr posted:

Not yet. Motorola has announced that an official will be out in q3. We'll probably see an ICS build of CM9 eventually but unfortunately right now driver support is awful and we're still a ways off from anything stable even on the best of builds.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ApexAftermath posted:

Is android wi-fi tether still the way to go then?

The SQL hack is a great way to go about tethering too. The only downside I can think of is that the builtin hotspot app doesn't have as many options available to configure the connection. Otherwise it's as functional and stable as it gets.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

We'll probably see an ICS build of CM9 eventually but unfortunately right now driver support is awful and we're still a ways off from anything stable even on the best of builds.

This also holds true for the HTC G2 for those of you running one or are new to the platform. We might see driver support when the Desire HD Sense 4 update drops, so sit tight until then, stick with whatever Cyanogen stable comes out and keep your build maintained. I'm keeping an eye on the ICS rom scene and will let you know when something worthwhile comes out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a reason people don't use Koush's tethering app? I have no interest in tethering so I've never tried it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I don't know if there's specifically anything bad about it, but probably the main reason is that Wifi Tether works perfectly and always has, so why switch to something else?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I tried Koush's for a bit when it was free and brand new and it didn't work but it was alpha/test quality at that point. I already bought PDANet a while back and it's been rock solid on every phone without root.

godzirraRAWR posted:

Balls!

Try 3.1-beta11. Set device profile to EVO 3D, setup method Softap, enable encryption, check Wifi driver reload, and check Routing Fix. Leave everything else default. I'm on the latest update running Fresh, so pretty much stock.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I installed CM7 again to play with the blauncher, and now the home button on my Shift doesn't work. It still gives haptic feedback when I touch it, but it doesn't take me to the home screen, and long-pressing doesn't bring up recent apps. Any ideas?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I loved PDANet until I realized it wouldn't let me tether to my tablet. Then I just used the default tethering on the Atrix using the SQLite hack to enable it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

smr posted:

I've been running Turl's cm9 builds and they're really good! As stable as when my phone was running stock, and almost everything works - bluetooth, wifi, camera. I think the only thing missing is the fingerprint scanner.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've got cm7 and cm9 sd cards that I run on my wife's stock nookcolor, you can't do a factory reset on these sd cards from android and there's no real recovery. (you can hack cwm on somehow, I havent tried)

If I want to wipe /data on the sd can I plug the card into my linux machine and do a mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb3??(p-sure 3 is data) is ext2 right?

Edit: never mind I looked with fdisk it was ext3,I did mkfs.ext3 and it worked.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 26, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So I ended up not going the sql hack route and instead just installed the wi-fi tether app I have always used in the past. Currently posting from that connection and it is solid. I was able to fire up netflix on my computer and it was very fast.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Ugh so I accidentally semi-bricked my phone because I'm a noob and didn't make a backup of my stock OEM rom. No going back so I've installed CM9 Beta 3 on my Samsung Galaxy Ace.

It's really stable, haven't experienced a crash yet. Everything works apart from account syncing and the camera, which I can live with but only for a while. The only downside is it's a bit it's quite jerky while navigating and animations are definitely not smooth.

Edit: Syncing works in the end

Tincans fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2012

Humdrum Hoodlum
Aug 12, 2006
I'm using the latest version of CM9 for the Touchpad (Alpha 2) and am having problems with BSplayer. Whenever a video is playing the android controls remain on screen. I can't seem to get it to hide the android controls or the clock or battery status. Does anyone know how to hide them?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Humdrum Hoodlum posted:

I'm using the latest version of CM9 for the Touchpad (Alpha 2) and am having problems with BSplayer. Whenever a video is playing the android controls remain on screen. I can't seem to get it to hide the android controls or the clock or battery status. Does anyone know how to hide them?

I know that they hide (or at least turn into faded dots) in MX Video Player, if you fancy a change. I've never tried BSPlayer.

My own question: Are the DPI issues fixed now with the marketplace? After wiping my Touchpad and installing alpha 2 from fresh, I made my own 132 DPI patch by diff-ing the 160 and 120 patches (which showed only 2 files different), taking the Trebuchet app from the 160 zip and changing the config value to 132. Having installed this my Touchpad's running at 132 but the market app still allowed me to download a tablet-only app (Dolphin browser HD).

Have I reached the twilight zone, or is the market a ticking timebomb that will stop working at some point? I tried modding the DPI to 132 previously (with a DPI changer app, not a patch zip) and I'm pretty sure the market refused tablet apps straight after the reboot that applied the change, but maybe I'm mis-remembering it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Is there a reason people don't use Koush's tethering app? I have no interest in tethering so I've never tried it.

Wifi Tether is so much more convenient than having to chain your phone to your computer via USB. IMO that's pretty much the only reason.

I do love Koush's solution though. The way he tethers is as brilliant as it gets for making your phone fly under the radar.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

I do love Koush's solution though. The way he tethers is as brilliant as it gets for making your phone fly under the radar.
I'm suspicious of claims that it's "undetectable". Perhaps it's true that carriers aren't detecting it now vs. other methods, but it's just the next stage in a cat and mouse game here. To be fair, I don't think Koush has ever claimed it to be undetectable, it's just everyone else who does.

Now, using a ssh or OpenVPN tunnel to proxy through a third machine is undetectable, aside from the crazy amount of encrypted traffic. Which again, hopefully providers don't QoS to hell or require business ($$$) plans for, since, poo poo, I use (non-tethered) ssh all the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm suspicious of claims that it's "undetectable". Perhaps it's true that carriers aren't detecting it now vs. other methods, but it's just the next stage in a cat and mouse game here. To be fair, I don't think Koush has ever claimed it to be undetectable, it's just everyone else who does.

Now, using a ssh or OpenVPN tunnel to proxy through a third machine is undetectable, aside from the crazy amount of encrypted traffic. Which again, hopefully providers don't QoS to hell or require business ($$$) plans for, since, poo poo, I use (non-tethered) ssh all the time.
He calls it undetectable in the first post he made about it:

koush posted:

Tether should work with any carrier and phone, and is not blockable or detectable by carriers[1]...

[1] It functions as a proxy, and not as a NAT/masquerade solution that other tether solutions use. Though carriers can still check for http user agent string, but I have an idea to work around that. They typically check the TTL for desktop values. All usual carrier data charges and quotas will apply, but you will not need a separate tethering plan.
His bolding, not mine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sigh, I CTRL-Fed that post for "undetectable" and yeah, I deserve it.

Well then koush is flat out wrong. I don't know the exact level his proxy is operating at, but if he's doing socket forwards they can pick up on Windows Update poo poo, unless he's running a blacklist or limiting to HTTP only. In which case it becomes the user-agent game, but still, doing things like Flash or other non-Android-supported plugins is still a giveaway.

Again, it may well work for now, but it's nothing more than a game of cat and mouse. In the end it comes down to how much energy the carriers are willing to invest in blocking strategies, and how much effort users are willing to invest in trying the solution du jour until they just give up.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

It's possible he's doing the same thing that PDANet does, which strips out some of the computer specific things from packet headers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Frozen-Solid posted:

It's possible he's doing the same thing that PDANet does, which strips out some of the computer specific things from packet headers.

Doesn't matter. If it's undetectable, it's only because carriers aren't trying hard enough right now. They know where your packets are going to/coming from, and if they're going to Windows Update you're screwed. It's also possible to do statistical analysis of traffic patterns and have high confidence conclusions about the type of device using a connection.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
To put another way, a developer with a solid background in computer networks is at least aware of (if not reasonably familiar with) deep packet inspection and other technologies that operators are using these days to keep their networks running efficiently and safe.

For example, ever since the Comcast torrent controversy of a few years ago, Comcast has been surprisingly forth-coming about the network management technologies they employ. You can bet that wireless operators are (at least considering, if not already) using similar technologies and approaches to manage congestion (which is a much worse problem for them) and to enforce policy.

Thus, any developer who claims to have an "undetectable" tethering solution is either ignorant of the problem, or outright lying about his/her software's capability. Not that folks shouldn't use PdaNet or Koush's app or whatever, but the developers should really be more forthcoming about their limitations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Flash or other non-Android-supported plugins

What? How is flash not supported on Android?

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

What? How is flash not supported on Android?

It's not supported in ICS.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

TheSleeper posted:

Yes it is. Flash was updated for ICS and the ICS browser displays Flash content just fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheSleeper posted:

I'm using Flash on ICS on my Transformer right now.

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm using Flash on ICS on my Transformer right now.

Yea, I guess I should have double checked on that. It definitely wasn't available on ICS when I got my gnex and I hadn't heard about the update. I guess a few more people could post the exact same thing as letsgoflyers81 just to get the point across, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheSleeper posted:

It's not supported by the Android version of the Chrome browser, which is not the browser that comes with Android, you have to install it from the market.

Flash is supported by Android and probably will be for a very long time because it's going to take a very long time to see enough of the internet being switched to HTML5.