Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like a great handbag accessory to me, and it even came pre-crippled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yeah apparently she only stopped walking about 2 months ago (partner and I moved in with her dad) she got separated from the rest of the chooks in case it was infectious but they all took turns breaking out to visit her :s

Her name is Krinkle and I love her so much even if she’s a gross pain in the rear end

To myself: ‘Welcome to the chicken party kid’

Lameness in hens isn't a good thing (obviously). Quick google of chicken forums:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/leg-problems-and-lameness-in-chickens.html

But it does sound like it could be Mareks disease:

quote:

It does sound like Mareks disease. Despite vaccination, which is only about 75-80% effective, birds can still get the disease. This being said, as long as she is eating and drinking, they can recover. Mareks comes in a low-virulence and a mid-virulence/high virulence strain. The low virulence strain causes weakness and sometimes paralysis, but no tumors form. The mid to high virulence strain causes paralysis and sometimes tumors form (depending on strength of disease). If tumors form, your bird will lose her appetite, go downhill and die on her own, sadly. If no tumors form, then if the inflammation goes down in the nerves in her legs (which is what causes the paralysis) then she can recover completely. I've had several birds that have recovered completely from total paralysis (and others... haven't). My suggestion is to keep her separated, keep her warm (but allow room for her to get away from the heat source if she is too warm). Give her vitamins in her water, especially A and E, as they are beneficial in nerve health. Ask your vet for Metacam (meloxicam), an anti-inflammatory, given at 0.1 mg/kg, once per day, orally. This will help reduce inflammation around those nerves, hopefully speeding recovery. If you cannot get metacam, 5 aspirin per gallon of water, given free choice, will help with inflammation as well. Keep encouraging her to eat- that's a good sign. If you can get some, give her a sprinkle of Cold Fx on her food, and if you can't get that, give her echinecea (tiny sprinkle) and a tiny sprinkle of North American Ginseng powder- both are good for immune support.

You can choose to sling her, as cochin_breeder suggested, or you can leave her without slinging. I prefer not to sling as I find that they move around a little more, keeping busy and keeping blood flowing. Bed her with lots of towels or deep shavings to keep her from getting pressure sores. Usually Mareks, if they are going to recover, takes about 10 days to 2 weeks. Sometimes they never fully recover, but if they are happy enough, eating and drinking, they do just fine. I feel that if a chicken is miserable and in pain, euthanasia is an option, but if they are bright eyed and eating well- talking and enjoying life, there is no need to put them down, even if they aren't totally recovered.
from here

Considering how long Krinkle's been like it and she's still eating & drinking, she could make a full recovery (finger's crossed for her).

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What recommendations can you make for raising either coturnix or button quail? We're in an urban setting with enough yard and porch space for a small pen, and from what I understand, quails would be quiet enough to cause limited issues for the neighbors. Do they do well in variable temperatures? Do you have any recommendations when it comes to style of cage or placement?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

spookygonk posted:

Lameness in hens isn't a good thing (obviously). Quick google of chicken forums:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/leg-problems-and-lameness-in-chickens.html

But it does sound like it could be Mareks disease:

from here

Considering how long Krinkle's been like it and she's still eating & drinking, she could make a full recovery (finger's crossed for her).

thanks! I did some mild google fu and saw mareks and gave her some asprin last week, hard to say if her legs are getting better but she's never really had a problem with appetite so I'm very optimistic and I'll hit up the vet for some of these things next time I'm in town. I give her chicken physio once a day usually but even if she never really recovers, she's already "my" chicken by lieu of how much time I spend with her and I dont mind a lame chicken, the only annoying thing is she never craps during the day when I'm moving her around the yard, only at night and I'll hear a huge flapping noise and the sound of her box flipping and I have a heart attack because I think a fox or something has turned up but nope its just her getting out to take a dump at midnight

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i put a camera in moon unit's nest and ended up with an art film

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

my cat is norris posted:

What recommendations can you make for raising either coturnix or button quail? We're in an urban setting with enough yard and porch space for a small pen, and from what I understand, quails would be quiet enough to cause limited issues for the neighbors. Do they do well in variable temperatures? Do you have any recommendations when it comes to style of cage or placement?

Despite the fact that most birds are extremely intelligent, caring for quail is like caring for lemmings in Dover.

It's an exercise in saying, "How cute!" and then noticing three somehow died while you said it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
No joke we have a family of cute wild quails that come in to feed every day but I learned really quickly not to count the babies too closely each time I see them

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If you thought chickens were lovably retarded you've obviously never met a quail, natures chicken cubed, with an additional cockatiel 4th dimension.

That quail have survived in the wild is the greatest arguement in favor of divine intervention.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay but none of this is scaring me off, so can anyone recommend any good resources or guides? :shobon:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

my cat is norris posted:

Okay but none of this is scaring me off, so can anyone recommend any good resources or guides? :shobon:
i've never had buttons but coturnix are really easy to keep as long as you're okay with the occasional random stupid death. i don't have any specific resources to suggest, i mostly learnt through trial and error (googling specific problems as they came up, most things have been addressed on backyard chickens or similar sites at some point) but a few things i've learnt is that they prefer a small cage with an enclosed area and preferably a bottom that's open to the dirt so they can dust-bathe whenever they want. i have an open-bottomed cage that i move from spot to spot every few days so they always have fresh dirt and grass, which also cuts out all the smell. they love having lots of dried grass and straw in the cage, as much as you can give them (they'll tunnel through it and make little chambers) and they're good nesters so they can handle pretty cold temperatures as long as they have enough material to build with. mine are surprisingly hardy to hot temperatures too, i don't know where you're living but it can't get much hotter than australia - i just make sure they're in the shade and if it's going to be a really hot day i spritz them with the hose in the morning to keep the dirt nice and cool. then in the winter you can adjust the cage so they get a bit of sun, they love sun

my quail eat a 50/50 mix of standard budgerigar seed mix from the supermarket and duckling/gosling starter crumble from the feed store. i soak their grain to make it easier for them to digest. mine also get a lot of foraging time outdoors but i wouldn't recommend that to other owners lol, you will end up losing your quail (mine are a special case), so to supplement their diet they'll really enjoy fresh dandelions or clover and some mealworms every few days. the supermarket seed mix comes with added calcium and shell grit that seems to be enough for them, it's a long time since i had any with nutritional issues

i think that's all i really have to share, my advice is to just get started and the quail will tell you what they need (by dying)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
oh also don't mix your coturnix roos until you know what you're doing. it's possible to keep a few roosters in the same good-sized cage as long as they're cool with each other and there are plenty of hens to go around, but it takes a while to learn how to "read" them and until then you can't always tell which roosters will get along and which will fight. they can really hurt each other, it's not a great thing to find. some hens will also be touchier and more territorial than others, so if you're getting birds from a few different sources try to introduce them slowly and give them lots of hiding places until they've sorted out their flock dynamics

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
and finally, when you're choosing the cage wire/bars, make sure the gaps are either way too small for the quail to fit their heads through or that they're wide and smooth enough that the quail can poke their heads through easily without getting caught, otherwise they will hang themselves

e: go with the former option if you're dealing with hosed predators of superhuman intelligence like raccoons or opossums. the latter is strictly urban-only. various birds of prey used to sit on top of my quail cage and wait for the quail to forget what they were, which took about five minutes, upon which the quail would get curious and pop their heads out to look at the big bird up top and it would just snip them off one by one like rosebuds

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 25, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! Where I am in Pittsburgh, PA, quail would be way easier to keep than chickens, and potentially less bothersome for my neighbors, so even if they are suicidal loving morons, I want to give them a shot for sure. Death seems like kind of a thing you gotta get used to whenever it comes to livestock of any kind, so I'm mentally bracing myself for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

my cat is norris posted:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! Where I am in Pittsburgh, PA, quail would be way easier to keep than chickens, and potentially less bothersome for my neighbors, so even if they are suicidal loving morons, I want to give them a shot for sure. Death seems like kind of a thing you gotta get used to whenever it comes to livestock of any kind, so I'm mentally bracing myself for it.

The trick is probably to get enough that they reproduce at the same rate they die to their own horse-like stupidity, and be happy that there's the same number of them today that there was yesterday.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/aY15sBn.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Omg I love how bewildered the kitties are and how determined their chicken mom is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo it's happening, if all goes well we'll have four chickens this weekend. Two Lavender Orpingtons and two Coronation Sussex.

McGiggins posted:

If you thought chickens were lovably retarded you've obviously never met a quail, natures chicken cubed, with an additional cockatiel 4th dimension.

That quail have survived in the wild is the greatest arguement in favor of divine intervention.

Growing up, my parents had a hefty bird identification book. It avoided editorializing in favour of concise, matter of fact descriptions of the appearance, behaviour, and songs of the various birds.

The entry for quail said something like "the fact that these birds continue to thrive in the wild despite their breathtaking stupidity is a testament to the rate at which they reproduce".

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo it's happening, if all goes well we'll have four chickens this weekend. Two Lavender Orpingtons and two Coronation Sussex.
Congratulations. :henget:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I spent part of my youth on my great grandfathers farm with livestock, I have something to admit...

I have never taken eggs from a hen. I have raised parrots and know eggs make them psychotic. Do chickens care?

What is the experience like when you "steal" an egg from a Mama Hen?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Captain Log posted:

I spent part of my youth on my great grandfathers farm with livestock, I have something to admit...

I have never taken eggs from a hen. I have raised parrots and know eggs make them psychotic. Do chickens care?

What is the experience like when you "steal" an egg from a Mama Hen?
she gets flat and mad and says boooork. you'll probably get pecked but it doesn't hurt. as long as she's left with one or two eggs she'll be fine and keep brooding, or if you take the whole clutch she'll be loopy and frantic until the sun sets and then wake up tomorrow acting like she never had eggs at all

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
And if she's not broody she'll poop an egg out then wander off to do something else and won't even notice you taking the egg.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah unless they're broody (sitting on a fertilized egg or think they are) they couldn't care less about their eggs once they get off the proverbial pot, and they'll happily wander around chookin' while you rob the rear end-fruits of their literal labor.

When they're broody, the ones I've always worked with inflate (puff up their feathers) like a puffer fish, some nearly three times their size, and as the other poster said, make the most delicious low pitched boooooooork noise that they manage to make sound so aggrieved.

They'll peck you and you'll probably flinch everytime like me, because you are irrationally afraid of the inflatable bork machine in front of you that has every right to be mad at you for harassing it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My chickens seem to have no idea they ever laid an egg in the first place. Sometimes they just feel like sitting in a box for a few minutes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spookygonk posted:

Congratulations. :henget:

This is something we've been talking about since we got our own place, but everything kind of came together this spring. We were planning to order day-olds and brood them indoors until they were fledged, but it turns out one of the hatcheries we were looking at will be in the area for some kind of chicken conference this weekend and will have a bunch of their 6-week pullets with them, so it's a bit earlier than we were planning but will simplify things immensely.

At some point I need to get in touch with all my friends and family in the area and ask if I can sometimes randomly fill their mailboxes with eggs, because even if these chickens lay at half the rate the documentation claims, we'll have a surplus once they get going.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If she's broody, throw her off the nest and clear it out. Flip her your middle finger.

go in and make an omelette

flip that off too.

Otherwise they're just like bock bock let me peck my friend's toes until they bleed and then it's time for murder and hatred

E: Coturnix- feed the highest protein game bird crumbles that you can find (I feed gamebird starter), keep their water full, do not mix with chickens. That's literally all there is to it. Replace every year or so because their kidneys will be shot from high protein. You don't care because like a quarter of them will probably break their necks anyhow from popcorning into their 12" ceiling, somehow.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
no you must sing the quail to sleep every night and knit each of them a pair of tiny quail socks

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If quail could, they would burst into flames constantly.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Log posted:

Quoting for :biotruths:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:laffo: Those poor birds!

I just want to thank this thread for setting my expectations to a realistic level. I'm in contact with an Ohio quail farm and will probably get chicks in a month or so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Agree. Some may even find a gas can first.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i've just fired up my incubator for the first time in a year and i keep thinking to myself, can i ethically justify bringing more of these things into the world when their existence is nothing but confusion and tragedy? but they're so entertaining

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I hear they're good eating? Consider every one fallen an investment in tiny drumsticks.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's one other thing I don't know much about...

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
yeah mine are strictly pets, i tried to do the whole homesteader thing but i am just too sentimental to eat my own animals so now i'm more of a quail sociologist

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

if nothing else at least even yall soft hearts don't have to worry about overpopulation.

For the record if anyone's looking around, the new little giant incubators suck rear end. The old ones with the heating element all the way around the inside weren't perfect, but they were a Hell of a lot better than this poo poo.

Full incubator. 8 chicks hatched, 1 died, and during breakout I found 4 fully formed chicks. Supposedly the LED monitor said everything was perfect. Obviously not. Most of the eggs toward the top of the incubator never even made it past day 3.

Invest in something better, even if it costs a bit more.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:henget:

Foreground: Coronation Sussexes; background: Violet Orpingtons.

When I showed up this morning to check their water, the orps panicked and shoved both sussexes out the door. The sussexes were going to go back in the coop when one of them saw a bug and decided maybe the outside might be interesting after all; they spent half an hour wandering around the run before going back into the coop.

It's been two hours and every few minutes one of them sticks her head out of the coop and looks around.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
vorps

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The best part is that I misremembered. They're lavender orpingtons. Lorps?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

larps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Australorps are already called lorps so lavender Orpingtons must indeed be called larps from now on.