Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

This is a decent entry level table. I wouldn't recommend spending any less than this, though because you'll just be wasting your money.

A 2 speed belt drive for the price of a car. I need to hug my 1200 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CPL593H posted:

This is a decent entry level table. I wouldn't recommend spending any less than this, though because you'll just be wasting your money.

What the gently caress man? If you're not in the 3 figures for every piece of equipment you might as well listen to 90kbps mp3's through laptop speakers, bleh.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Digging around in my records looking for some Christmas songs I found this one that I had never listened to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-O6c3vnfwk

Turns out it's one of the bigger pieces of poo poo pressed on vinyl but somehow made it to the top ten in 30 countries.

I got luckier when I found a 7" of "Christmas Rap" by Kurtis Blow and heard the line "hold it now, hit it" that the Beastie Boys later sampled.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
#2 :australia:

Still hear it on radio very rarely.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

A 2 speed belt drive for the price of a car. I need to hug my 1200 more.

That's not even the second or third most expensive they had.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Personperson14 posted:

3 figures for every piece of equipment

I think you're a couple figures short there, bro.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AC/DC Special Radio Interview Disc, 1983 - this is a pretty silly record made so rádio stations could fake an interview with AC/DC. There's silence where you can add your voice asking questions then the band comes in with their responses. Even the side that has an interviewers voice uses the same method, it's obvious that it isn't a real interview.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 30, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Here's the runout etching on the copy of Love's Secret Domain I got up in NY.

And the label information on the back.

And here's the legit listing on Discogs.

Also, I tried playing it earlier and the sound quality's good. I think it could be the real deal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A couple more from the vault, found a couple test pressings I had never listened to, so I gave em a listen:

Mick Jagger, Sweet Thing 12" single, 1993.
Verdict: sucks.

Lord Crucifier, The Focus of Life LP, 1988.
Italian thrash. Way better than I had expected, don't know why I waited 20 years to check it out.

Edit- As awesome as Unverkäufliche Musterplatte sounds, I guess it means promo, not test press:
http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/225675

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 30, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Black Flag - The First Four Years test press

I love this one, it was great to hear it again. I never really had much Black Flag on vinyl, just ended up with stuff like Who's Got the 10 1/2? when all I really wanted was Damaged.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got a stack of free stuff from one of my uncles. It's the first time I've not had to pay for records and it's awesome. A few decent things, a few things I probably wouldn't have listened to otherwise and a couple of albums I already had but with extras (white album with poster and the Lennon photo, Fragile by Yes with booklet, George Harrison poster from All Things Must Pass, etc).

The copy of Revolver is mono too, which I'd been after for ages.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Snowy posted:

AC/DC Special Radio Interview Disc, 1983 - this is a pretty silly record made so rádio stations could fake an interview with AC/DC. There's silence where you can add your voice asking questions then the band comes in with their responses. Even the side that has an interviewers voice uses the same method, it's obvious that it isn't a real interview.

Aha, so TISM ripped off AC/DC. I Knew it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EwtcIt2BlM

quick edit: wish I could find the question sheet.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Snowy posted:

I love obscure radio stuff like this, especially canned jingles. Please share more of your oddities!

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I've suddenly been finding used Camel vinyls in killer condition at local shops, all for $2 - $4 each. Got my hands on The Snow Goose, Raindances, Breathless, and I Can See Your House From Here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ron Burgundy posted:

I love obscure radio stuff like this, especially canned jingles. Please share more of your oddities!

Thanks, I will! I don't buy much new stuff but I have lots of older records and always had an eye out for the unusual ones. When I was really actively buying vinyl from the late 80s through late 90s it was a record collectors dream time in NYC with tons of record stores still open but also people getting rid of collections so every street vendor had piles of them and there were plenty of hidden treasures all over the place.

Here's one I've had around forever. Basic Radio Codes, Records 1-12 from the United States Armed Forces Institute. They're about as fun as you might expect morse code training records to be, but I love poo poo like this.

THE WAR DEPARTMENT

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I love how even some bizarre military morse code record still have better quality packaging and artwork than most modern stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bliggers- posted:

I love how even some bizarre military morse code record still have better quality packaging and artwork than most modern stuff.

Hey this is America, spending way too much money on all things war related is what we do best.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
who's up for buying their first record this year? cuushe - butterfly cases 2xLP in yellow/pink vinyl limited to 125 copies. if you like music you should get this.

http://dilatedtimerecords.bigcartel.com/product/cuushe-butterfly-case-lp

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just got the Kanye West Graduation bootleg in the mail yesterday. The cover is badly creased up, but it sounds pretty good and is pressed on a great pink / magenta marble color.

I think I'm done buying records online for a long time, the last 4 that I have received have arrived damaged in some way. At this point I'd rather drive up to Chicago and spend some time actually digging around for stuff.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Chim posted:

who's up for buying their first record this year? cuushe - butterfly cases 2xLP in yellow/pink vinyl limited to 125 copies. if you like music you should get this.

whoops too late i already bought a copy of Raime's Hennail EP :cool:

Dr. Lenin posted:

I think I'm done buying records online for a long time, the last 4 that I have received have arrived damaged in some way. At this point I'd rather drive up to Chicago and spend some time actually digging around for stuff.

That honestly just sounds like bad luck. I've bought almost all of my records online, and while some have shown up in less than ideal conditions, most are okay. Just keep track of who sends you records in good / bad conditions - ie, Forced Exposure will always send you something in wonderful condition, Surus will not.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 2, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Chim posted:

This rules. Kinda like Wild Nothing's debut album. You know, the good one.

23 dollar shipping on the other hand doesn't rule. How come there's still such an utterly shite global postage system at work in 20 friggin 14?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Snowy posted:

A couple more from the vault, found a couple test pressings I had never listened to, so I gave em a listen:

Nice! Are those acetates? I've never actually seen/played one but I want to get one just to say I have one. Kind of like why I bought a few flexidiscs.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

luncheon meat posted:

Nice! Are those acetates? I've never actually seen/played one but I want to get one just to say I have one. Kind of like why I bought a few flexidiscs.

Generally speaking, test pressings are made on vinyl when the record is mastered. When you pay to get your recordings mastered, most mastering studios will include five or so test pressings

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Friends Are Evil posted:

Also, I tried playing it earlier and the sound quality's good. I think it could be the real deal.

It's the bootleg. The artwork and the font on the label are not correct. The font for the tracklisting should be the same as the font on the album cover (not Courier or whatever), and the artwork behind the text should be predominantly black with flecks of brown and red. The Torso logo on the label should be white-- the boot looks like they took the golden Torso logo from the back cover and pasted it in there.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

chime_on posted:

It's the bootleg. The artwork and the font on the label are not correct. The font for the tracklisting should be the same as the font on the album cover (not Courier or whatever), and the artwork behind the text should be predominantly black with flecks of brown and red. The Torso logo on the label should be white-- the boot looks like they took the golden Torso logo from the back cover and pasted it in there.

Discogs usually has photos of the jacket and label for each release which can really help narrowing down what you have and it looks like chime_on is right. Here is what the original looks like: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=164803

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Chim posted:

I don't even know what the hell this is but I ordered based on the cover art and your recommendation. You are on the hook good sir.

The Sky Ferreira pressing is really good. It sounds cd quiet. Recommended if you like her record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

chime_on posted:

To put more nails in this coffin, I picked up the exact same boot over the weekend at a local here in Houston. It was straight up labeled as a bootleg limited edition repressing. They also had Horse Rotovator, but I was already four albums in at that point and couldn't commit to number five.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

luncheon meat posted:

a milk crime posted:

Generally speaking, test pressings are made on vinyl when the record is mastered. When you pay to get your recordings mastered, most mastering studios will include five or so test pressings

Yeah, what he said. I have a few acetates around somewhere but those are vinyl. Here's another, this is from a 7" I put out, the test pressing is from United Record Pressing. Funny thing about that is United was known as the cheapest, thinnest vinyl, and now I see Third Man mentioning them like it was artisinally made in Nashville. Got any problems with the test press? Use the handy self addressed postcard to add comments!

EDIT- this postcard is tiny, so it's pretty funny how little space you have to comment. I just wish I had asked for the plates back, they probably just ended up in a dumpster.

and to continue with the war theme from earlier, here's a 7" of bawdy songs for the troops

And then today's listening, I'm in a rock mood, so first up was this old Cathedral 7" on nice deep bloody red vinyl

I'm not a big Monster Magnet guy, but I rock out to this one, maybe it's because of the pretty colors

Then I slowed my roll with EARTH! I guess these are bootlegs, didn't know that until I just looked them up on discogs.

This one is 16 rpm! I get close enough playing at 33 and pitching all the way down. I'll probably never play it at the right speed. The B side is an etching of two wolves running around two suns, or something like that.

They mercifully pressed this one at a normal speed.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 3, 2014

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Took the plunge today and started on my collection. Sky Ferreira's was a Christmas gift, but was able to nab Poliça and The National in a local store for a pretty good price.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

beergod posted:

I don't even know what the hell this is but I ordered based on the cover art and your recommendation. You are on the hook good sir.

The Sky Ferreira pressing is really good. It sounds cd quiet. Recommended if you like her record.

http://flau.bandcamp.com/album/butterfly-case

it's one of the best electronic/shoegaze/dreampop albums released in 2013. you can stream the first track here. I'll venture to say that you won't be disappointed!

pitchfork review here : http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18597-cuushe-butterfly-case/

edit: art is looking good.

4 copies left here http://dilatedtime.bandcamp.com/album/butterfly-case-lp (I swear I'm not shilling for the band...)

Chim fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 4, 2014

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

drat, you have some awesome records!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Surely they are only talking about a 6 minute limit for a 33rpm 7 inch test, otherwise :wtc:

Snowy posted:

This one is 16 rpm! I get close enough playing at 33 and pitching all the way down. I'll probably never play it at the right speed. The B side is an etching of two wolves running around two suns, or something like that.

You collect oddball records and you don't have a 4 speed table yet? Gotta get on that

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

luncheon meat posted:

drat, you have some awesome records!

Thank you! I'm going through everything now and organizing, something I've put off since I moved a couple years ago. I'm finding some cool things I forgot about so I'll keep posting some more here and there.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Surely they are only talking about a 6 minute limit for a 33rpm 7 inch test, otherwise :wtc:

yeah, it's just for 7 inches.

quote:

You collect oddball records and you don't have a 4 speed table yet? Gotta get on that

I know, I had to downsize when I moved to a smaller place, so I don't think I'm getting any more turntables. I have two set up and two that I'm giving away, but no space for more, sadly.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 4, 2014

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Took the plunge today and started on my collection. Sky Ferreira's was a Christmas gift, but was able to nab Poliça and The National in a local store for a pretty good price.

I'm detecting a trend.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The connection is ladies.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Have any of you used ios apps like Crate Digger or Discollector to update your discogs.com library? Was it helpful? I've only tried out Crate Digger so far and the UPC scanner worked pretty well, but most of my records don't have UPC codes so I don't know if it's worth it to go back and forth.

Discollector has good reviews but I wonder if it's worth the $5.

Edit- forget it, the UPC reader sucks. It got the wrong version a few times so it can't really be trusted.

content: lady connection

Snowy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 4, 2014

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Snowy posted:

Have any of you used ios apps like Crate Digger or Discollector to update your discogs.com library?

I've never needed to add more than like 5 or so records at a time, so I just generally do it by hand?

TIP :: http://honestjons.com/shop.php?pid=43837&CatID=124

quote:

Uncanny, fervid music from fire-walking rituals, recorded in the village of Agia Eleni, Serres, Greece, in 1979 (and originally released in a tiny edition by the redoubtable Editions Zero and Echomusic), alongside killer new invocations — excoriated, dread, ecstatic, driven — summoning the saints their own way.
The first of the Kemal double-headed mutants set to lay waste to 2014.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Today my girlfriend gave me a late Christmas gift that just arrived now, LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver. It is super cool and one of my favorite albums so I'm pretty pumped about it. It came with a pretty cool poster, too! I have no idea whether it's hard to find or anything but I cherish it already.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Been picking up a few new records since the new year started, still waiting for my first record purchase of 214 to arrive, a copy of The Range - Nonfiction from Donkey Pitch.
Got these all locally

Bunch of Kieran Hebdens stuff, 2 Four tet albums and 2 Fridge albums.

Was really stoked to find the Perry Leopold album, love this record and wasn't aware of any repressing.
The Osibisa record was from a unsorted collection that came from a local DJ, also grabbed a bunch of cool Stonesthrow singles, a D'Angelo DJ sampler, and a signed Peanut Butter Wolf EP all for a couple bucks each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Osibisa is the best, seriously.