Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So disable it if having a good communication app included is giving you an aneurysm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rentilius posted:

I am loving my new Nexus 7 but I loving cannot stand that they have included this Google hangout poo poo. It is such a terrible app.

Here you go

Seriously though, Hangouts is the first step to Google unifying communication across their services. If you hate it that much maybe it's time for you to jump into iOS.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that seems an odd complaint to me, but I use it for Gtalk pretty much daily and find it very good. Never had a problem.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hangouts is great when it works, but the app does have issues. Sometimes I have to back out of a conversation then click on the conversation again to get a new message to show up. If I try to back out of the app instead of just hitting home, it'll go chat -> list of hangouts -> same chat -> list of hangouts -> exit. Finally, sometimes even when I'm on a solid wifi, a message will hang and not send but I can pick up my tablet and send the same message just fine. Once the bugs get fixed though, Hangouts will be great.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
Am I looking at the same app as you guys? I liked how absolutely clear Google Talk was. It gave me who was online, who was idle, and who was offline all in a nice priority order. On my Nexus 7, all my contacts all mashed up with the rest of my business contacts and phone number contacts. And currently, there's no indication as to who is idle and who is actually there.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's because in the current paradigm there is no such thing as offline. You can easily see if someone has read your message or not (and if they've been in the app recently) and if it's something you need an answer on now then Hangouts/GTalk really isn't the most appropriate method of contact. That said they do seem to be partly easing up on this with some sort of online indicator in the web app apparently, but not in the mobile or chrome "desktop" app.

I don't care whether someone is idle or "offline", I send a message and I can easily check back in and see if they've read it. If there's no response it's pretty obvious they're busy or otherwise don't want to talk, and if they haven't read it then they're not able to check it right now. No big deal. And I can send/receive messages on my computer, tablet, or phone with instant synchronization between them. And given that there's a search field it shouldn't matter if your contacts are all mashed together since scrolling down a giant list should be a last resort. Search for who you need, start a hangout, and then it's showing up in your active hangouts window which is pretty clean.

And on top of that I don't have to deal with the utter bugginess of SMS/MMS which send but have a 10%+ chance of never being received and doing so silently so I think someone got it and they didn't. Skype mobile is even worse now with its recent update that reworked it, it was kinda buggy before about suddenly not sending you messages if you idled for a while but usually opening the app would force them to send to you. Now that doesn't even work, nor does relogging on the app. It's nearly worthless, but hey it has a pretty UI at least now.

So for my use case it's pretty much perfect. The desktop app could use some usability fixes like not kicking me out of a fullscreen game if I receive a message and the window is hidden and remembering the position I had it opened at before. But other than that I have no real complaints with it.

All that said, since you seem to care a lot about offline/idle status, you're either going to have to get used to the way this works or just use something else. While they may wind up doing a 180 on the whole thing, it's really not a concept that they see room for in the current design going forward.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

DemonMage posted:

That's because in the current paradigm there is no such thing as offline. You can easily see if someone has read your message or not (and if they've been in the app recently) and if it's something you need an answer on now then Hangouts/GTalk really isn't the most appropriate method of contact. That said they do seem to be partly easing up on this with some sort of online indicator in the web app apparently, but not in the mobile or chrome "desktop" app.

I don't care whether someone is idle or "offline", I send a message and I can easily check back in and see if they've read it. If there's no response it's pretty obvious they're busy or otherwise don't want to talk, and if they haven't read it then they're not able to check it right now. No big deal. And I can send/receive messages on my computer, tablet, or phone with instant synchronization between them. And given that there's a search field it shouldn't matter if your contacts are all mashed together since scrolling down a giant list should be a last resort. Search for who you need, start a hangout, and then it's showing up in your active hangouts window which is pretty clean.

And on top of that I don't have to deal with the utter bugginess of SMS/MMS which send but have a 10%+ chance of never being received and doing so silently so I think someone got it and they didn't. Skype mobile is even worse now with its recent update that reworked it, it was kinda buggy before about suddenly not sending you messages if you idled for a while but usually opening the app would force them to send to you. Now that doesn't even work, nor does relogging on the app. It's nearly worthless, but hey it has a pretty UI at least now.

So for my use case it's pretty much perfect. The desktop app could use some usability fixes like not kicking me out of a fullscreen game if I receive a message and the window is hidden and remembering the position I had it opened at before. But other than that I have no real complaints with it.

All that said, since you seem to care a lot about offline/idle status, you're either going to have to get used to the way this works or just use something else. While they may wind up doing a 180 on the whole thing, it's really not a concept that they see room for in the current design going forward.
I generally like Hangouts but it does seem odd that they don't add an "offline" or "idle" status. If I'm just making casual conversation I'd rather not message people if they're not actually at a computer (for example, if they get notified on their phone during a meeting). I mean, I understand the perspective you have, but at the same time, there's no advantage to leaving out a status indicator, and obviously, quite a few people care about it. It's just baffling that they'd leave it out when it doesn't add anything to do so. I'd be surprised if it weren't added back in in a later update, though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I have absolutely no problem with them adding offline/idle indicators, I'm all for options. It just wouldn't change anything for me personally. And they seem pretty resistant to it, but who the hell knows with Google.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I have no reason to bother with hangouts till SMS is integrated like imessage on iOS.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
My exodus from all Apple products is now complete, after trading in my iPad2 and just ordering my Nexus 7.

I was looking at case offerings on Amazon. Any recommendations (sorry if this is a repeat question)? I'm looking for one that can also work as a stand.

I'm going to dual boot Linux on mine so that in a pinch if my laptop isn't around I can pretty much use it as a computer. That is, unless I can get around the tablet well enough when rooted.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

booshi posted:

My exodus from all Apple products is now complete, after trading in my iPad2 and just ordering my Nexus 7.

I was looking at case offerings on Amazon. Any recommendations (sorry if this is a repeat question)? I'm looking for one that can also work as a stand.

I'm going to dual boot Linux on mine so that in a pinch if my laptop isn't around I can pretty much use it as a computer. That is, unless I can get around the tablet well enough when rooted.

There have been several cases up on slickdeals the past week or two. All under $10, many with convertible stand functionality.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

SB35 posted:

There have been several cases up on slickdeals the past week or two. All under $10, many with convertible stand functionality.

A lot of those aren't going on sale for a few days (I found some of those earlier), so I was wondering if there were any available. I dunno, I just like having my tablet in a case right away.

e: Duh, didn't think that yeah, they just may be that popular. Going to order one now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Likely faked image says Asus is going to be manufacturing the new Nexus 10.

http://www.geek.com/android/asus-to-manufacture-nexus-10-refresh-1564955/

I hope it's true, then I can get the last visible Samsung logo out of my house.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Likely faked image says Asus is going to be manufacturing the new Nexus 10.

http://www.geek.com/android/asus-to-manufacture-nexus-10-refresh-1564955/

I hope it's true, then I can get the last visible Samsung logo out of my house.

You have avatars turned off?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You have avatars turned off?
I'm sorry you've never offended someone so much on the internet that they spent $10 in an attempt to shame you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I'm sorry you've never offended someone so much on the internet that they spent $10 in an attempt to shame you.

Goons will be goons. Regardless, while the Samsung logo is visible, it is not readable, so one could just bullshit and say that the phone in your avatar is a cheap knockoff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People have bought me avatars I mentioned buying for myself. :unsmith:

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I bought a last-gen Nexus 7 from the goon in SA-Mart who is selling a bunch of them.

What's the best cheap case for one of these? Amazon has a ton that all get decent enough reviews, but I want to know if there's a goon favorite.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hey man, downs syndrome Android Central logo owns.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hey man, downs syndrome Android Central logo owns.
drat straight it does :smugdroid::hf::smugdroid:

In other news, Google finally got around to shipping my Nexus 7 on the 7th after I ordered it on the 26th. The info page showed "ships by July 30th" up until they shipped it. To their credit, they did send it next day air without charging me, but I left for vacation hours before it arrived. So Play Store shipping still sucks.

Tablet is great as heck, though. The thinness and lightness and less-wideness makes it much easier to hold compared to the 2012 version, and the screen is so much better. Also not having that stupid fake-metal rim around the outside makes it much nicer looking.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really think the new N7's form factor is the best - I can palm it in one hand while eating or whatever with the other, and it feels just big enough and heavy enough that I'm not bothered by anything. The back is really nice too.

Too bad the Asus travel case is such dogshit, but I needed a case to take my N7 on a trip...and then I preceded to drop the thing in a puddle of water on the streets of San Francisco while unloading the car. Somehow the case kept water out of the device except for on the screen surface though!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

1st AD posted:

I really think the new N7's form factor is the best - I can palm it in one hand while eating or whatever with the other, and it feels just big enough and heavy enough that I'm not bothered by anything. The back is really nice too.

Too bad the Asus travel case is such dogshit, but I needed a case to take my N7 on a trip...and then I preceded to drop the thing in a puddle of water on the streets of San Francisco while unloading the car. Somehow the case kept water out of the device except for on the screen surface though!

Thats awesome that there doesnt seem to be immediate water damage but from past experience in can sometimes sbeak up on you a little bit later. Id stick it in a bag rice for about 24 hours just to be safe.

Ford Cruller
May 9, 2009
So I just picked up an ASUS MemoPad HD7, the $150 cheapo alternative to the new Nexus 7. For the most part I am pleased with it, but like right from day 1 I will periodically have something that should be polished as heck like the launcher app crash trying to do something trivial. This happens only every like several hours of use so by itself I'm not super bothered by it, but I am wondering if this is standard Android level of instability or if I should be worried I got a lemon and in two weeks it'll be crashing every five seconds. (My phone is a rooted HTC Thunderbolt with the ICS update so I am used to dealing with a certain amount of clunkitude, I just mainly am concerned with whether I should be expecting more from a stock device by ASUS.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You bought lukewarm garbage and it's working as expected.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ford Cruller posted:

So I just picked up an ASUS MemoPad HD7, the $150 cheapo alternative to the new Nexus 7. For the most part I am pleased with it, but like right from day 1 I will periodically have something that should be polished as heck like the launcher app crash trying to do something trivial. This happens only every like several hours of use so by itself I'm not super bothered by it, but I am wondering if this is standard Android level of instability or if I should be worried I got a lemon and in two weeks it'll be crashing every five seconds. (My phone is a rooted HTC Thunderbolt with the ICS update so I am used to dealing with a certain amount of clunkitude, I just mainly am concerned with whether I should be expecting more from a stock device by ASUS.)

Well, you tried to buy almost as cheap a tablet as possible. The Nexus 7 and 10 don't have system apps force closing every couple hours. It is much more likely that the one you bought just isn't made too well, didn't have much quality control (even the high end tablets from Asus often have glaring issues), and replacing it with the same model may not be any better. Always worth trying a factory reset or an exchange, if you really won't put in the extra money for a new Nexus 7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'd bet it has more to do with the MediaTek processor than Asus' quality control. Not to say that Asus' quality control is particularly great.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
After coupons you can get a regular nexus 7 for that much. Why would anyone buy the mediatek asus tablet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Or if you're really cheap the Sero 7 Pro is permanently price reduced to $129.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ford Cruller posted:

Not to jump on a bandwagon here but you could have gotten the Kindle Fire HD for 9 dollars more. Can you return it?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So Google Play has a cheap "under a dollar to make" neoprene case for the N7 2013.

$29.

Click checkout and it's over $50 with 3-5 day ground shipping.

:stare:

Edit: added link so the world's biggest sucker can click "Add to cart"

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_sleeve_gray_2013

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 13, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Holy poo poo, $17 shipping for a neoprene case?

I swear the play store exists solely as an exercise as to how NOT to do physical product sales online.

Edit:
http://www.sfbags.com/products/tablet-cases/tablet-slipcase.php

Cheaper. Made by hand in the US. Only $7 shipping. AND has a hard plastic insert to protect the screen.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 13, 2013

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I have the poetic case that I got on Amazon for like $15. It's great.

Ford Cruller
May 9, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Not to jump on a bandwagon here but you could have gotten the Kindle Fire HD for 9 dollars more. Can you return it?

The Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 don't have microsd slots for god knows what reason and my understanding is the Kindle Fire needs to be rooted to install straight from APKs instead of their curated store, which matters to me because I'm a giant sperglord and I want to play indie bundle stuff and open source Doom ports. Also the $159 Fire model has ads on the lock screen but I sort of assume rooting would've taken care of that too.

Protocol7 posted:

Or if you're really cheap the Sero 7 Pro is permanently price reduced to $129.

This looks pretty interesting but it's apparently Wal-mart exclusive?

You bought lukewarm garbage and it's working as expected.
Basically this, I guess. Long as it's not actively defective.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ford Cruller posted:

The Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 don't have microsd slots for god knows what reason and my understanding is the Kindle Fire needs to be rooted to install straight from APKs instead of their curated store, which matters to me because I'm a giant sperglord and I want to play indie bundle stuff and open source Doom ports.
You can sideload apps onto the Fire HD without being rooted, just enable applications from unknown sources and open the APK from ES File Explorer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ford Cruller posted:

The Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 don't have microsd slots for god knows what reason and my understanding is the Kindle Fire needs to be rooted to install straight from APKs instead of their curated store, which matters to me because I'm a giant sperglord and I want to play indie bundle stuff and open source Doom ports. Also the $159 Fire model has ads on the lock screen but I sort of assume rooting would've taken care of that too.
If you're a huge sperglord, rooting shouldn't be a big deal to you.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
My work bought me a new Nexus 7 and an i-Blason case. The case looks and functions fine but I seriously doubt it's going to hold up to time. Also I'm glad to see that this thread never changes with people buying lovely Android tablet after lovely Android tablet and whining about it endlessly

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ford Cruller posted:

So I just picked up an ASUS MemoPad HD7, the $150 cheapo alternative to the new Nexus 7. the launcher app crash trying to do something trivial. This happens only every like several hours

You bought the most mediocre 2013 tablet on the market with zero developer support in the middle of a glut of $150 barely used 2nd best 7" tablets (last gen Nexus 7) flooding the market? I can't say that I'm shocked with your result. Are you within the 2 week return period?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ford Cruller posted:

This looks pretty interesting but it's apparently Wal-mart exclusive?

Basically this, I guess. Long as it's not actively defective.

Return it, that's not worth dealing with.

http://swappa.com/buy/nexus-7-wifi/us (Last Gen N7 are $135 with shipping).

If you need an sd card slot: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NOOK+HD+Tablet+with+8GB+Memory/6412358.p?id=1218737507928&skuId=6412358&st=nook%20hd&cp=1&lp=4 ($129 Nook HD, great screen, so so specs, install CM on it)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NOOK+HD%2B+Tablet+with+16GB+Memory/6412758.p?id=1218737497993&skuId=6412758&st=nook%20hd&cp=1&lp=2 ($149 Nook HD+ great screen, so so specs, install CM on it)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Having owned a Nook HD+ for the duration of the return policy, you should seriously consider saving some money and buying the new Nexus 7. The slowness and lag of the device will make you go bonkers unless you plan on ONLY reading ebooks on it, in which case go hog wild because the screen is very nice.

The Nexus 7 FHD is just as fast/snappy as my Nexus 4, even with tiny babby hands like mine it can be palmed in one hand, and you don't have to worry about installing custom ROMs if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

1st AD posted:

Having owned a Nook HD+ for the duration of the return policy, you should seriously consider saving some money and buying the new Nexus 7. The slowness and lag of the device will make you go bonkers unless you plan on ONLY reading ebooks on it, in which case go hog wild because the screen is very nice.

The Nexus 7 FHD is just as fast/snappy as my Nexus 4, even with tiny babby hands like mine it can be palmed in one hand, and you don't have to worry about installing custom ROMs if you don't want to.

What issues have you had with the Nook? I've had mine for about a month now and have had zero problems or complaints with CM on it.