Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Diapers are too good these days. Most people when I was young where potty trained before 2. Our kids are 3 in september and still not potty trained.

One of the most frustrating things is to get them to say "potty" when they have to go, but when it's already coming and then trying to get them on the potty and oops poop on the side of the, damnit! No stop don't put your foot in the poopy diaper! Don't get up! There's poop on the floor now! "gently caress!"

Boys repeat "gently caress!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a lot of success with no diapers and no pants in the house. He only got a diaper if we were going in the car.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Kiddo (30 months) is going at least once at day at school. I suppose I should really push it more but I'm lazy and I don't want to turn this into a fight. He'll figure it out before he turns four.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Anya posted:

Kiddo (30 months) is going at least once at day at school. I suppose I should really push it more but I'm lazy and I don't want to turn this into a fight. He'll figure it out before he turns four.

My oldest, a very smart little dude, didn't train until after he was 4. It was frustrating but we let him go at his own pace. He's still in an overnight pull-up at 5, but he's getting drier and we've been waking him and his siblings up before we go to bed to make them all pee and change diapers, so hopefully his body will adapt and we can do away with the diapers soon.

My crazy 3-year old essentially trained herself. She just decided to wear underpants one day, had a few accidents and then has been basically dry ever since. She sleeps in underwear and has had a few night accidents, but for the most part she's done.

About the 5-year old - we've suddenly encountered a VERY defiant streak in him over the past two days. He has a hot temper, that we know and work with, but now he is throwing tantrums multiple times a day. His thing now is declaring the opposite of what we say, "No dessert then!" "Yes dessert!" then a scream. We do a ton of fun activities (summer school, My Gym, etc) and now he's declaring he doesn't want to do any of them ever again. He actually ran away from me TWICE yesterday, which he has really never done even when he was a toddler.

Any advice? Is this normal 5-year old stuff?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

His thing now is declaring the opposite of what we say, "No dessert then!" "Yes dessert!" then a scream.

Any advice?

https://youtu.be/9-k5J4RxQdE

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't have any advice, but my son is 5 as well and has a similar defiant streak going on right now. When we tell him he can't do something or have something he'll shout 'You can't say that!' or put his hands over his ears and refuse to listen to us. He will also completely go to pieces if he can't get his sister (who is 2) to sit still and listen to his explanation of why she has to do what he wants (spoiler: a two year old is not likely to do this).

I wish I could give you some advice on it, but at least misery loves company!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
About a month or two ago I thought our 23 month old hit her terrible twos early... but holy poo poo I had was way off. She threw an epic screaming 45 minute temper tantrum last night that just wouldn't let up. It stemmed from her not getting her towel wrapped around her the way she likes after bath. This morning she tried to get mom's chap stick (which she loves) and she wasn't supposed to... so taking it away from her, which typically results in some light crying or complaining and then quickly moving on, created another epic 15 minute meltdown.

Good grief. Little kids can just lose their poo poo hard. Luckily we have this little indoor play tent thing and she just decided that's her quiet space. So she goes in there to get away from us and just calms herself down.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I don't have any advice, but my son is 5 as well and has a similar defiant streak going on right now. When we tell him he can't do something or have something he'll shout 'You can't say that!' or put his hands over his ears and refuse to listen to us. He will also completely go to pieces if he can't get his sister (who is 2) to sit still and listen to his explanation of why she has to do what he wants (spoiler: a two year old is not likely to do this).

I wish I could give you some advice on it, but at least misery loves company!

Oh yeah, the hands over the ears! Now his 3 & 2 year old siblings are doing it, which is just fantastic.

I must have looked like a lunatic at the aquarium yesterday, chasing after three little kids going in opposite directions and one screaming with rage. Nice to know I am not alone.

I thought it would get easier as they got older...

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My (2 yo) daughter squeezes her eyes shut, and puts a book on her head when she takes a poop on the toilet. Afterwards, she whispers to me "that was a good poop."

Kids rule.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

My (2 yo) daughter squeezes her eyes shut, and puts a book on her head when she takes a poop on the toilet. Afterwards, she whispers to me "that was a good poop."

Kids rule.

My nearly-2yo demands reading material on the potty and declares her poops either little or 'normous!' thanks to her Daddy's input in toilet training.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My daughter started a thing where we have to shout for the poop to come if it doesn't make an immediate appearance once she's on the toilet. It's fun at home in the bathroom, slightly less fun when we're out and about (which has been a lot, since we've been on holiday for the last 10 days), and I find myself in a stall in a public bathroom whispering "poop!", while my 3 year old belts out "YOU HAVE TO SHOUT LOUDER, OR IT DOESN'T WORK! COME ON POOOOOOOP!"

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

I thought it would get easier as they got older...

So here's an update:
Our biggest issue this week was he didn't want to go to summer school. It's a short 3-hour program at a local church, he only goes 3 days a week, and I put him in it because he asked to do it and he's a nerd who likes school. So, we enrolled him and he's been having a blast, with a few small streaks of defiance in the classroom. It's also a little God-heavy, it being a church school and all, so we thought maybe he was starting to push back on some of the religious stuff. We don't really do religion in this house.

Turns out, because of the 4th of July holiday he skipped class on Monday and he was in vacation mode, so he kind of forgot how much he loved school. When we told him to get ready for school on Thursday, he had almost a solid week of summer fun and excitement and he decided he didn't want to go to school anymore. Which turned into a slight power struggle, which just grew into an ugly day. I realized he probably just forgot how much he liked school and on Friday morning I bargained with him - since he decided not to go to school anymore, he should go to school one last time to say goodbye to his friends. And guess what happened? Yup, he remembered how much he loves school and asked to go back again on Monday.

My husband thanked me for figuring out a way to get through to him, and congratulated me on "reading the room". I did feel pretty smug, but the reality is I spend most of my time alone with these kids so I was going to be pretty pissed at myself if I didn't crack this problem.

In other news, my kids have decided they don't like Disney Junior any more and we are now watching a ton of Nickelodeon, which runs various versions of this infuriating ad all the time. Screw you, care.com

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
:sigh: Gabriel decided this week he hates his car seat and will wail when we put him down in and until the car ride finally soothes him to sleep. This comes on top of generally being fussy with me when my wife works because I'm not mama.

At the same time, I feel like I can't vent because people always remind me it gets worse or they have it worse in some fashion so I don't vent and it gets to me. He's only 4 mo old to boot. Being a dad is hard but the upside is we're starting rice cereal :3:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

At the same time, I feel like I can't vent because people always remind me it gets worse

Don't listen to them. Some people are baby people, some aren't. For me the whole parenting gig started out as a giant crapfest, but then it got progressively better. I love babies when I can give them back to their rightful owners after a while, but having one fulltime isn't for me at all. But the older she gets, the more I love being a parent. Personally I found dealing with a crying fussy baby way harder than dealing with a pissed off tantrum-throwing toddler, because I could talk to the toddler, and that made all the difference to me. Now she's an actual little kid, she's asking all kinds of weird questions that I have a blast answering, we're having proper conversation about all kinds of topics. It's pretty amazing, and I'm looking forward to every new developmental leap she's making. It took almost three years for me to reach a stage of childhood where, when people say "Enjoy this time, it's never coming back!", I actually agree with them.

Edit: vvv That's different from person to person, though. I find having a 2-3 year old easier than having a baby, because I personally am much better at dealing with the hard parts of having a toddler than I am dealing with the hard parts of having a baby.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 11, 2016

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I wouldn't say it gets worse, but it doesn't get easier. There are bigger rewards and bigger challenges.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
At this moment it seems things just get harder. We're prisoners in our own home it feels like. We have to keep the doors locked, and now they've learned to open the doors despite being locked. So now we have to keep the interior doors that go to the rooms with doors locked and hide the keys. Or they escape and run around in socks or run out on the road. They're so bloody quick...

It sucks that I can't have it like in my fantasies where I just take them outside and relax and get some work done while they play. In reality they take every opportunity to run away from the yard and out on the road, or into neighbors yards, lately they have started eating the green an immature strawberries from the strawberry patch, just to mention a few. I'm always having to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't do something stupid or damaging, it's utterly exhausting, especially when it's good weather and we should be outside but my SO is working nights and I'm alone with these two tornados and I just wanna lock us inside after a while.

Argh when will they develop some modicum of sense and not destroy or endanger themselves 24/7?

On the positive side, David climbs like a champ, up and down, up and down, he's like a monkey:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Argh when will they develop some modicum of sense and not destroy or endanger themselves 24/7?

Maybe 26?

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

It has been a... challenging mating season for Bird Person
So, stair safety.

My daughter is about to turn 2. We just moved to a new house with stairs - our old house didn't have them. Naturally, I figured it would be a good idea to install baby gates. Naturally, after doing so she IMMEDIATELY figured out how to open them (literally within 5 minutes) and finds opening and closing the baby gates to be a great, fun time. Almost as fun as going up and down the stairs.

I go on the internet to figure out what kinds of baby gates work for kids that are 2+, and the advice I see is "you shouldn't rely on a baby gate if your kid is 2+" with no alternatives for how to keep her safe around the stairs. I also saw that every single baby gate says it is for use with kids under 2, DO NOT USE if your kid is 2+ or over 30lbs. Really not quite sure what to do here. I've already drilled a bunch of useless holes in the walls of our new house, wasted a bunch of time, etc.

Any advice?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Bird Person posted:

So, stair safety.

My daughter is about to turn 2. We just moved to a new house with stairs - our old house didn't have them. Naturally, I figured it would be a good idea to install baby gates. Naturally, after doing so she IMMEDIATELY figured out how to open them (literally within 5 minutes) and finds opening and closing the baby gates to be a great, fun time. Almost as fun as going up and down the stairs.

I go on the internet to figure out what kinds of baby gates work for kids that are 2+, and the advice I see is "you shouldn't rely on a baby gate if your kid is 2+" with no alternatives for how to keep her safe around the stairs. I also saw that every single baby gate says it is for use with kids under 2, DO NOT USE if your kid is 2+ or over 30lbs. Really not quite sure what to do here. I've already drilled a bunch of useless holes in the walls of our new house, wasted a bunch of time, etc.

Any advice?

What gates did you get? We use these http://www.evenflo.com/Products/Evenflo/Baby_Gates/Top_of_Stairs_Plus_Gate/ They are plenty sturdy still for our off the charts in height and 30lb 2 year old. He's smart and has great dexterity, but still can't work the latch. He has figured out how to pull it out of the catch at the bottom, but it won't open enough for him to squeeze through (he has set his wolfy free this way which is too funny). I only gate the stair to the basement now, not the stairs up to our rooms, but his room is gated at night. He is really good at stairs and I have confidence in him.

I would switch gates and also focus on teaching her how to do the stairs safely. Start by teaching the crawl up, slide down feet first on the belly technique. That's the safest, easiest way for little ones. When she has that mastered, work on walking up and down holding the handle. If necessary/feasible, you can install a rail at a lower height. Lowes has basic rails and hardware that are easy to install for not that much. You'll find that she will revert to the safer way automatically if she is unsure of herself. My son has been doing walk up/down for a while, but will still occasionally crawl or slide if he is feeling tired. They're really good about knowing their own limits.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have this gate and it baffles most adults how to open it :v:
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/babies/summer-infant-wood-gate-with-dual-bannister-07180-32442806

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

What are thoughts on sharing breastmilk?

Wife is exclusively pumping and can get 20 oz a day. We've been to lactation consultants, tried fenugreek, brewers yeast, diff flange sizes but nothing has increased her supply past 20. Our baby is now 3 mos old and needs more than 20oz. We've been supplementing non gmo Similac. Wife's best friends sister is a milk factory and gave us 200 oz of breastmilk. My wife was too polite to turn it down.

Wife is suggesting using the breastmilk instead of formula. I'm not too keen on the idea.

Pathogens seem to be an obvious concern. No known medical issues but she didn't ask if she's on any meds. Pasteurizing info seems to suggest it would nuke the good out of breastmilk. Most things seem to suggest to only do it if there's a medical need.

Thoughts?
Keep him on formula or supplement with her friends breastmilk instead?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The formula boogeyman is overblown. If they take socioeconomic factors into account there's no long run difference in children if that makes you feel better.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I doubt it'll make a huge deal in health either way. How are your and your wife feeling about it? I know my wife stressed out whenever she thought she wasn't producing enough. If it gives your wife some comfort, I'd go along with it rather than fight over it.

You're within your rights to ask (via your wife, preferably) about how the milk is stored and if there are any medications in play. Baby's health trumps privacy in this case.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Haystack posted:

I doubt it'll make a huge deal in health either way. How are your and your wife feeling about it? I know my wife stressed out whenever she thought she wasn't producing enough. If it gives your wife some comfort, I'd go along with it rather than fight over it.

You're within your rights to ask (via your wife, preferably) about how the milk is stored and if there are any medications in play. Baby's health trumps privacy in this case.

We initially agreed not to use it and sounds like wife wants to use it --I'm guessing since she's not a formula fan. She's not sure how long she'll actually pump for, but he's 3 months, healthy, and close to having normal baby mush food I figure it's no where no worth the risk of using someone else's breastmilk. To be honest I'm not sure what can be transferred via the milk (disease /med / etc). So I'm not the most educated but "the internets" pages seem to suggest usually only using others for a preemie or medical necessity.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

I would focus on helping her to understand that supplementing with formula is not a failure. Using formula because it is what's best for you is also not a failure. Your wife is giving your child breastmilk and so you child will be getting all of the benefits of breastmilk even with supplementation. She's already doing an amazing thing and in no way should feel bad, guilty, or like a failure. Say this to her over and over again. Have a doctor say it to her too.

As far as someone else's breastmilk, as long as the other mother is healthy and isn't taking medications (including over the counter and ask about supplements too) or smoking or drinking or exposed to lots of second hand smoke AND as long as she is super careful about washing hands before, during, and after handling milk and it is stored at appropriate temperatures then it should be absolutely fine. It's not a big deal that it is coming from another person, but you do have to be careful about storage. If I knew the person and knew they did all of those things I would not have a problem with it at all. It's a little tricky since you don't know the person directly. I would try to talk to the mom directly and just say something like we are so grateful for the milk, but we keep reading all kinds of stuff online, so we just want to ask a few questions to make sure it is safe. Any reasonable person will understand.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duxwig posted:

What are thoughts on sharing breastmilk?

Wife is exclusively pumping and can get 20 oz a day. We've been to lactation consultants, tried fenugreek, brewers yeast, diff flange sizes but nothing has increased her supply past 20. Our baby is now 3 mos old and needs more than 20oz. We've been supplementing non gmo Similac. Wife's best friends sister is a milk factory and gave us 200 oz of breastmilk. My wife was too polite to turn it down.

Thoughts?
Keep him on formula or supplement with her friends breastmilk instead?

I've never heard of quantity dictating anything regarding breastfeeding - this is normally pretty backwards. If you have milk, the body adjusts to what your kid needs - additionally, the calorie content in milk changes with your child as your child ages. 20oz of milk at 3 mo has substantially less calories than 5oz of milk as a toddler. It's not about the volume. (doesn't apply)

Is your kid's growth actually not developing normally on growth charts? This should be the only thing affecting this decision on any level.

Also, using someone else's breastmilk is completely normal and should not require a shitload of thought. Wet nurses are same concept, no?

edit: ignore the strikeout, I misread, this doesn't apply to pumping. bad post by me.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 17, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

He said his wife is "exclusively pumping," not nursing, I believe a lot of the feedback to match supply to demand happens during nursing. When my partner went from nursing every meal to only wakeup/goodnight nursing during the week, she went from producing an extra 2-4 bottles a day to barely keeping pace.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kaschei posted:

He said his wife is "exclusively pumping," not nursing, I believe a lot of the feedback to match supply to demand happens during nursing. When my partner went from nursing every meal to only wakeup/goodnight nursing during the week, she went from producing an extra 2-4 bottles a day to barely keeping pace.

It's definitely a lot easier to stimulate breast milk production with direct nursing as opposed to pumping. There isn't a ton of research into babies who are exclusively bottle fed breast milk, except that later in life obesity patterns tend to match formula fed babies more than their "at the breast fed" counterparts.

Around three months postpartum is a pretty big supply regulation (supply becomes demand driven instead of hormonally driven), so it's a natural time to have an issue if pumping isn't providing enough "demand." Increasing the frequency of stimulation is, unfortunately, one of the few ways to boost it back up. Twenty ounces isn't out of the range of normal for an "at the breast" fed infant; the range is 19 to 30 oz with a mean of 25 oz.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
ok so for the past two week or so, our 9.5 month old has decided that only mom can calm him down during the night. In the past I could get him back to sleep easy, but now it's impossible. He'll cry and cry and push me and try to get away from my arms until mom comes in and then he's back to his normal "I woke up, can you help me back to sleep" mode, not necessarily wanting the breast or anything. During the day he's really happy with me, although if we're both there he tends to prefer his mom when he's not feeling happy for some reason.

I'm guessing this is related to separation anxiety? I'd like to help my girlfriend more at night because she's getting pretty tired, but it's pretty much impossible for me to do anything at all during the night. I still try but it's only managing to get me slightly worked up when I waste 10-15 minutes of sleep getting yelled at straight in the ear while fighting with a surprisingly strong baby that makes me feel useless.

How long can we expect this to last? Is there anything that can help this phase go by faster?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 17, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kaschei posted:

Yeah good point, I misread. Updated my last post to be less crap and/or more relevant.

^^ KC that just will switch every so often. One period of time it's going to be you they want, the next mom, etc. Something the thread has pretty good advice on from people's past experiences too :)

For alternative things you can do, redirecting your 9.5 month old to other things that help sleep sometimes may impact things positively: aka white noise machines with rain/heartbeats, or a stuffed animal, etc. It might be time to change the routine for bedtime and/or settling down in the middle of the night, if the kid has decided they don't like the current methods.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We our 2nd hit about 20 months. She'd cry at night and I would go into the room and she would scream louder "no not daddy". This still happens sometimes. Sometimes it's to my advantage as she will throw herself back down on her pillow. Sometimes it works against me as she'll cry for ten minutes while I rock her. A couple times she wouldn't be soothed by me and mommy finally had to come in. I think that was mostly due to teething though.

It's a phase. They still love us. :-)

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
My 5 week old just slept for 7.5 hours!!! I can't believe how lucky I've been!

Other people who had good sleepers: will this last? Or will everything change when she starts teething?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dopaMEAN posted:

Other people who had good sleepers: will this last? Or will everything change when she starts teething?

At 5 weeks old I'd consider it a fluke. Doesn't mean it won't happen again or hell maybe you do have some sleep wonder kid! But for us 8 months is when she first started sleeping through the night on the reg. But ever since then it's literally been less than 5 times that she didn't sleep through the night and those were all attributed to some sort of illness.

At two years old now I feel like we won the sleepstakes! (:v:)

However now she's learning to try to bargain her way out of bedtime so we have a whole new problem on our hand.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

BonoMan posted:

However now she's learning to try to bargain her way out of bedtime so we have a whole new problem on our hand.

NWS audio with Samuel L. Jackson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0t9TUNLpg&t=47s or Morgan Freeman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G17wQR3DL0

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

dopaMEAN posted:

I had good sleepers, for them 8 hours was the norm from about 6 weeks with disruptions of a few weeks around 4 months and 10 months.

But I'd wait a few more nights before you get your hopes up - I also had a lovely sleeper and every now and again she would sleep through the night, raising our hopes only for them to be cruelly dashed a night or two after when she resumed her usual every three hours pattern.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

dopaMEAN posted:

My second started sleeping through the night around 6 or 7 weeks and has been a great sleeper ever since, excepting a little phase when he was around 18 months or so. And that was despite being 5 weeks early. You might stay lucky! It's still pretty early, though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mine slept 8 hour stretches from 6 weeks until about 3.5 months. He didn't sleep through the night again until a year ish and finally consistently slept through starting at 2.5 years.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I had good sleepers, for them 8 hours was the norm from about 6 weeks with disruptions of a few weeks around 4 months and 10 months.

But I'd wait a few more nights before you get your hopes up - I also had a lovely sleeper and every now and again she would sleep through the night, raising our hopes only for them to be cruelly dashed a night or two after when she resumed her usual every three hours pattern.

Ansiktsburk posted:

My second started sleeping through the night around 6 or 7 weeks and has been a great sleeper ever since, excepting a little phase when he was around 18 months or so. And that was despite being 5 weeks early. You might stay lucky! It's still pretty early, though.

She's consistently slept 4-6h for her first sleep and 3h after her night feed since week 1, with the exception of maybe 3 days. Weeks 1-3 I had to wake her every 4h to make sure she ate often enough. So she's been consistent, just never slept an entire night without a feed.

I really need to steel myself for sleep regressions / increased fussiness. She's been so easy that we had a hard time managing her fussy nights last week, somehow it seems worse when the fussiness is uncharacteristic.

sheri posted:

Mine slept 8 hour stretches from 6 weeks until about 3.5 months. He didn't sleep through the night again until a year ish and finally consistently slept through starting at 2.5 years.

Good to know! How did you handle the period where he wouldn't sleep? Was it pretty easy to adapt?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I've never heard of quantity dictating anything regarding breastfeeding - this is normally pretty backwards. If you have milk, the body adjusts to what your kid needs - additionally, the calorie content in milk changes with your child as your child ages. 20oz of milk at 3 mo has substantially less calories than 5oz of milk as a toddler. It's not about the volume. (doesn't apply)

Is your kid's growth actually not developing normally on growth charts? This should be the only thing affecting this decision on any level.

Also, using someone else's breastmilk is completely normal and should not require a shitload of thought. Wet nurses are same concept, no?

edit: ignore the strikeout, I misread, this doesn't apply to pumping. bad post by me.

kaschei posted:

Growth is at about 45% on the charts.

Long story "short" wife wanted to specifically feed at the breast but after seeing 5 different lactation consultants and getting constantly varying info of "you need a nipple shield!," "You dont need a nipple shield," "Your baby is tongue tied but just keep trying, dont worry about trying to pump, just supplement formula until your milk comes in while continuing to try to latch," "You're not pumping? You need to breast feed, followed by pumping since your baby is tongue tied," "You have the right flange size"(later changed to the flange we thought was right and production up/pain down)," "We dont know if you have thrush but use this anti-yeast cream"(ended up being dried milk)....we have frankly lost hope in "good advice" from anyone that's a physician and thus why I wander here for advice. This isn't even including the doctors who put us on a feeding schedule of 15 mL every two hours -- baby didnt poop, xray, doctor freaking about seeing a blockage on the xray, sending us to the childrens hospital, finding out it was the umbilical stump in the xray not a blockage, then incredible jump without hesitation of "we're pretty sure your baby has hirschsprung disease and we're going to schedule you to come in for a rectal biopsy on Monday." Talk about a WTF as a first time parent. A day later after googling the feeding I find out he should be eating 1-2oz every two hours and suddenly poops when he is eating the correct amount.

She is exclusively pumping after all these issues and kiddo essentially having tantrums at the breast.
She's been stuck at 20 oz since about 2 months and kid is 3 months, one week currently. She pumped religiously every two hours around the clock without any long term increase. She has a Medela and doesnt seem pump related. Breast+Pump, Fenugreek, brewers yeast, lactation cookies, massaging the breast, etc etc -- nothing has increased it and why we finally sighed and went to formula to supplement what's needed over 20 oz until we can get him on more solid foods.

The breastmilk that was gifted by a friend who has been pumping the entire time for her two children and has an extreme overabundance. The milk is currently frozen and was frozen immediately after pumping I know. No clue myself on the maintenance/cleanliness but they're rather meticulous about sleep schedules and other things with their kids so I'd like to say they handled it well, but no clue.
Are medications all a no go or what should we avoid / accept? I'm pretty confident they're not on opiates, anti-depressants, barbiturates, benzos, etc, but unsure on any other general health medications. Is there any benefit to using someone else's milk such as the antibodies? I know wife believes formula can lead to allergies long term but I haven't looked this up nor know anything about the effects of formula on this.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Duxwig posted:

This isn't even including the doctors who put us on a feeding schedule of .5 ml every two hours -- baby didnt poop, xray, doctor freaking about seeing a blockage on the xray, sending us to the childrens hospital, finding out it was the umbilical stump in the xray not a blockage, then incredible jump without hesitation of "we're pretty sure your baby has hirschsprung disease and we're going to schedule you to come in for a rectal biopsy on Monday." Talk about a WTF as a first time parent. A day later after googling the feeding I find out he should be eating 1-2oz every two hours and suddenly poops when he is eating the correct amount.

Was this a typo or a misunderstanding somewhere? 0.5ml is nothing, even a 100g baby rat will get 5ml per feeding.

Anyway, FWIW, my wife had a really hard time breastfeeding, we (lol, "we") did a mix of pump and breast. We would alternate feedings between breast and expressed milk. It had the added benefit that I would get to feed our son while she pumped. Milk supply went up once she was more comfortable with the latch and the sores around her nipples healed. Milk supply went up so high that we actually ended up freezing it and giving it to another mom who was having a hard time too.