Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You want Horde of Skeletons, which is at Enchantment 5. That's the signature skelespam spell. You get 6+ longdeads, which have no summoning restrictions. Once your mages go offscript at turn 6 they might start making Soulless instead (with Raise Dead, at Ench4), which are raised from corpses in the province (including units killed in the same battle) and are usually raised in significantly larger numbers. They have more HP but aren't as good at fighting - still, it doesn't hurt if your mages decide to mix them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
This morning I've run into a really bizarre rendering error:

The map renders fine, but anything else is all blurry and unreadable. Text, magic-path icons, candles, the little bordery things at the edge of dialog boxes - everything! Battle maps are much the same, and the terrain is blurred on them as well.

Anybody ever encountered something like this? If it isn't fixed (or if it doesn't fix itself) I've got to drop out of my games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Site searching your capital is a waste of time right?
99.9% of the time, yes; very very rarely you may get a hidden site in your cap from an event.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Alumnus Post posted:

This morning I've run into a really bizarre rendering error:

The map renders fine, but anything else is all blurry and unreadable. Text, magic-path icons, candles, the little bordery things at the edge of dialog boxes - everything! Battle maps are much the same, and the terrain is blurred on them as well.

Anybody ever encountered something like this? If it isn't fixed (or if it doesn't fix itself) I've got to drop out of my games.

Put on your glasses old man alumnus. In reality I have never seen anything like that. Maybe the guys over on the desura boards have seen it before.

Worst case you can try uninstalling, deleting all the stuff you have related to the game in appdata/roaming and whatnot, then reinstalling. :shrug:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

99.9% of the time, yes; very very rarely you may get a hidden site in your cap from an event.

I had that happen due to the winter shrine one time, early game. I was cackling from the extra gems.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I had that happen due to the winter shrine one time, early game. I was cackling from the extra gems.
Aye and then you get "WHOOPS IT'S COLD" and you lose 5% of your capital income, repeatedly, and get opened up for bad events.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I had the throne of cold in my cap circle in sore losers 2 and it made a water gem site appear in my cap. It's basically 3 cold forever there now.

Ctis was about to invade me until I told him what that throne was and what it did to me. :yikes:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
enc c.14, best defence

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Aye and then you get "WHOOPS IT'S COLD" and you lose 5% of your capital income, repeatedly, and get opened up for bad events.

Still, if all the provinces around it you get like 5 water gems/turn just from those. Who needs income when you can bury your enemies under gelatinous cubes?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Kitfox88 posted:

I had the throne of cold in my cap circle in sore losers 2 and it made a water gem site appear in my cap. It's basically 3 cold forever there now.

Ctis was about to invade me until I told him what that throne was and what it did to me. :yikes:

I was actually moving troops around to murder Machaka, but Ashdood was so much faster than me:(

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The worst thing about giant nations is that their PD is rear end. I found out how bad it was when 10 PD lost to freaking villains of all things

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Kitfox88 posted:

I dunno, there's some nations that are just easily shut down even if they have the best start available, just because they have no/limited tools. Abysia is one of them because their commanders and troops are mediocre, expensive, and their one nice benefit is shut down almost entirely by an easily researched and casted spell. :v:

If you say so

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want to say EA and MA Vanheim is like playing America. Best mobility, troops are really good, overwhelming firepower, and supplies are never a problem.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

amuayse posted:

I want to say EA and MA Vanheim is like playing America. Best mobility, troops are really good, overwhelming firepower, and supplies are never a problem.

but your commanders are kind of dumb

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

amuayse posted:

The worst thing about giant nations is that their PD is rear end. I found out how bad it was when 10 PD lost to freaking villains of all things

Isn't PD composed of indies up to 20 PD? Or are giants different?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Castle PD

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does the manual still list strong PD as a strength of giant nations or has Illwinter finally caved to the demonstrably provable fact that being above size 2 is actually a penalty, not a bonus?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

The Sharmat posted:

Does the manual still list strong PD as a strength of giant nations or has Illwinter finally caved to the demonstrably provable fact that being above size 2 is actually a penalty, not a bonus?

Illwinter did not write the manual this time.

Or at least not the advice portions

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Do units with heat/cold/chaos powers weaken in provinces with opposite scales, or it's only a possitive effect?

What about auras? I think that auras are reduced in opposite provinces (or at least increased in the corresponding scales), which would mean Wolven Winter/Breath of the Desert are good spells to cast if you can choose your battleground.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Fat Samurai posted:

Do units with heat/cold/chaos powers weaken in provinces with opposite scales, or it's only a positive effect?

It reverses in opposite scales. I think Ice Protection does as well. So Niefel Giants are like warm butter in heat3 despite being unstoppable badasses in cold3. This is also the problem with Chaos Power units like the Lanka demons - they're good in your own dom, and okay when expanding into neutral scales, but since almost everyone runs order3 they become really weak as soon as you start fighting an offensive war.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe x power should give +2 with a positive scale and - 1 with a negative scale.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's fine as is imo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What is a good target for EA Pangaea after Alt 5? I'm debating between Construction 4 (Earth boots, Blood Stone, Dwarven Hammer) and Conjuration (Howl, Summon Earthpower, several troll spells, Contact Naiad). My only other research so far is Evo 2.

I have Spring Mages (A2N1) and Onyx Sorceres (D1E1, with 10% of D2E1) available, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Goddamit I forgot to assign some troops to my sneak commander an now my entire plan is ruined. RUINED I TELL YOU!! :argh:

EDIT EDIT: In a not SA game, BTW.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 2, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

What is a good target for EA Pangaea after Alt 5? I'm debating between Construction 4 (Earth boots, Blood Stone, Dwarven Hammer) and Conjuration (Howl, Summon Earthpower, several troll spells, Contact Naiad). My only other research so far is Evo 2.

I have Spring Mages (A2N1) and Onyx Sorceres (D1E1, with 10% of D2E1) available, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Goddamit I forgot to assign some troops to my sneak commander an now my entire plan is ruined. RUINED I TELL YOU!! :argh:

EDIT EDIT: In a not SA game, BTW.

alt6 (iron bane, frozen heart). conj3 (summon earthpower) or 5 (earth eles, howl). evo5 (earthquake, blade wind). const4 for all kinds of things.

Probably const4 if it were me. If you feel like you will need to deploy mages for destruction or maws sooner rather than later maybe conj3 first. Your blood economy is expensive as hell to build but still worth it even after toads nerf so do that whenever you get a chance.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
What are some mods that enhance vanilla gameplay? So far I think I only have more pretenders mod and some added nations

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There is literally no fixing this game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

What are some mods that enhance vanilla gameplay? So far I think I only have more pretenders mod and some added nations
The repop mod that makes non-MA Ermor, Asphodel, LA Lemuria and Rlyeh provinces grow back enough population to buy a point of PD in, so long as they have friendly dominion with growth scales.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I want to use the stone sword on a gimmick thug/sc. To counteract it's side effects you have to get as much magic resist as possible right?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Or you could stick it on a golem

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Or you could stick it on a golem

Needs stonebeing to be immune. So like a gargoyle, living statue, fountain etc. Golem doesn't have the tag.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
How about any self buffs? Would stone skin grant partial/full immunity or would anything else.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Needs stonebeing to be immune. So like a gargoyle, living statue, fountain etc. Golem doesn't have the tag.

Why isn't a golem a stonebeing Illwinter

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

amuayse posted:

Why isn't a golem a stonebeing Illwinter

Clay, flesh, iron, fire, etc. There are a lot of things mythical golems are made of other than stone.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the golem is explicitly made of clay, not stone! and the ones that are not clay are made of metals

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
As a geology major, I find that offensive. Also the cave Abysians being called lavaborn as well

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

magmamans

pryoclastic persons

lavalivings

mantlemarauders

volcanovictims

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Igneusindividuals (this one's good because it's gender neutral)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Attn Kitfox

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/tool-province-defense-pd-cost-calculator

Province defense calculator

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

jsoh posted:

the golem is explicitly made of clay, not stone! and the ones that are not clay are made of metals

What if you used claystone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
golems are made from clay because G-d fashioned man from clay on the sixth day

• Locked thread