Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

I'm pretty sure he's pissed I'm going that slow. He continues following behind me for a few miles into the road splits into multiple lanes. I took the left lane

You're the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat.
I read it as the left/right split is to go in different directions, not that he was hogging an outside lane.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I probably should have clarified, the road goes from a two lane to a four lane with a turning lane in between. It basically goes from residential to commercial, with a giant mall to the left, and I needed to stay in the left lane so I could go straight at the next intersection.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Can't stand people how come to a 4 way stop and don't move even when their turn comes around. Makes the other people confused and fucks up the whole flow because no one knows if this idiot is going to just lurch into motion with no warning.

Sometimes, yeah, but given how people drive, like in the video above at 10:50, the Subaru's vision was probably obstructed and so driving out with nary a care in the world is just asking for an accident, even if it's that person's turn.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

He drives a lifted Chevy truck with a million different stickers like "YANKEE LAKE TRUCK NIGHT"

Are you in eastern Ohio/western PA or have those windshield banners migrated elsewhere?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Are you in eastern Ohio/western PA or have those windshield banners migrated elsewhere?

Cleveland area

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Saw a new bumper sticker in the parking lot the other day that made me irrationally angry. Couldn't get a pic because owner was in the car.

Bumper sticker said:

"Expectant Mother OnBoard"

gently caress you and your spawn.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Here's a good one I saw today.

Bald tires (all four were the same) and a very very lovely block lift you can kind of see. I ended up behind him in traffic and you bet that it didn't go down the road straight, it was actually scary.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Solar Coaster posted:

Saw a new bumper sticker in the parking lot the other day that made me irrationally angry. Couldn't get a pic because owner was in the car.

Bumper sticker said:

Irrational indeed. Drivers of parked cars are so dangerous!

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
It's 02:30 visibility is less than 30m due to heavy fog, and three loving idiots decide that they have to blind me by flashing their high beams at me because I have turned off the low beams and am just using fog lights. Thanks fuckers, that's what I needed in such poor visibility, 110W of halogen to the face to ruin my nightvision.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

Bumper sticker said:

I don't get it, were they parking in a handicapped spot or something? All bumper stickers may be a sign of stupidity but I feel like I'm missing a story here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't get it, were they parking in a handicapped spot or something? All bumper stickers may be a sign of stupidity but I feel like I'm missing a story here.

Its an extra layer of terrible on top of the "baby on board" placards, which in my experience are little more than a warning that the vehicle is being operated by an rear end in a top hat driver with an entitlement complex.

Because, you know, I was going to run you off the road but since you have a baby in the car (or are expecting one) I'll pass and go commit vehicular manslaughter elsewhere :rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geoj posted:

Its an extra layer of terrible on top of the "baby on board" placards, which in my experience are little more than "warning - rear end in a top hat driver with entitlement complex operating this vehicle" notifications.

Because, you know, I was going to run you off the road but since you have a baby in the car (or are expecting one) I'll pass and go commit vehicular manslaughter elsewhere :rolleyes:

At least with "baby on board" you could make the argument that it lets surrounding motorists know that the driver may be running on little sleep and may, at any time, be distracted by a screaming, making GBS threads infant in their vehicle (of course, you're right that it's usually just entitlement). "Expectant mother on board" is a whole 'nother level of insufferable.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Today, while heading up the hill out of town, I was passed by two cars going in the other direction. There were more than those two, but they stood out because they were going 50mph downhill around a curve, each one with a guy sitting on the passenger windowsill with his legs in the car.

Is this a new  teen  fad or something?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 17, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01qkBQClKg

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I came incredibly close to nailing a road construction worker today. . . There has been construction on K-96 since last October or longer, the highway part has been done for about a month or two but they haven't opened the new ramps so all through January the highway is esseintally 100% open just minus the offramp. I got to 50MPH at the end of the onramp and I suddenly saw a lone pickup parked in the far left lane with a big flashing "move left" arrow - wtf? There were no cones around this vehicle but suddenly one of the two inbred road workers decided to start strolling across the lanes of traffic as I was barreling down on him at 50MPH. This particular stretch of K-96 sees an average of 10,000 cars per day, it's Monday on presidents day, I am the only car on the road for miles, and some dumb rear end chooses use his orange vest of authority to jaywalk in front of my car going 50MPH with no warning. I had my ABS going the entire time, my wife was screaming, I was screaming, the orange vested idiot just kept walking closer and closer into my lane. . . I normally don't hate road workers but gently caress that guy, hard.

I also spotted a customer at a gas station just completely failing at life. It started with a 90s era Plymouth minivan (without the awesome wood panels) and an obese individual in pajama pants filling up with gas. This individual chose to stand right beside the pump with their car running, cigarette burning, cell phone attached to face, and screaming poo poo at kids every 30 seconds. God bless America, I have never felt so depressed in my life.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Today it was raining. People had on their hazard lights. I don't understand why.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PaganGoatPants posted:

Today it was raining. People had on their hazard lights. I don't understand why.

Scary sky water! :supaburn:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The temporary tags really set this off.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

This may be the greatest thing I have ever seen.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

When you show up late to the auction, you get what you get.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

The first moron sees someone who has them on accidentally and thinks, Should these be on? poo poo I don't remember, better safe than sorry. And the next one goes, wow, two people have them on, better safe than sorry. Et cetera.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

wayfinder posted:

The first moron sees someone who has them on accidentally and thinks, Should these be on? poo poo I don't remember, better safe than sorry. And the next one goes, wow, two people have them on, better safe than sorry. Et cetera.

I see this with people who fold their windshield wipers up in order to prevent them from freezing to the windshield. People just start mimicking the first person like they have a better weather report. Eventually, half a parking lot of sheep have their wipers up when there is no chance of freezing.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Bad weather and people who have their cars loaded in a very unsafe way that should not be on the road. Driving with hazards on, when not a truck going slow, generally says "I'm a giant loving moron".

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I see this with people who fold their windshield wipers up in order to prevent them from freezing to the windshield. People just start mimicking the first person like they have a better weather report. Eventually, half a parking lot of sheep have their wipers up when there is no chance of freezing.

I'm going to try this in the middle of July.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PaganGoatPants posted:

At least they had some sort of lights turned on!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I try to steer clear of people towing things in general. I feel like most trailers are not roadworthy. I was behind someone towing a small single-axle trailer and the brake wiring was backwards so when they turned on their left turn signal the right signal on the trailer flashed, and the right turn signal was burnt out :byodood:

Or poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffg7J1Spc5c

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ijustam posted:

I try to steer clear of people towing things in general. I feel like most trailers are not roadworthy. I was behind someone towing a small single-axle trailer and the brake wiring was backwards so when they turned on their left turn signal the right signal on the trailer flashed, and the right turn signal was burnt out :byodood:

Everyone I know hates how long I take to pack/tarp/strap loads in my truck box/trailer. Nothing I'm hauling will ever fly out like that video, though. Man.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Siochain posted:

Everyone I know hates how long I take to pack/tarp/strap loads in my truck box/trailer. Nothing I'm hauling will ever fly out like that video, though. Man.

I had to go get a bunch of stuff from Home Depot and I took my father-in-law and his truck. Few sheets of drywall and some interior doors, that kind of big, billowy stuff, along with baseboard trim and some other smallish things.

We go to tie everything down, and I'm throwing the twine over to him, he does something I can't see on his side, and throws it back. I keep knotting and securing and tightening and whatnot, expecting him to do the same. We get out of the parking lot and I get up to 25mph, when the whole load flaps up on his side. I immediately pull over.

He's looped all the twine around the baseboard trim and tied it off to a gallon bucket of drywall mud. I used all the hard tiedown points in the bed.

It suddenly struck me that the average person thinks that just tying stuff to stuff (or not at all) is an acceptable way of securing a load. When I asked him about it, he just said "looks like we can only go about 25mph the rest of the way home." Yeah, not so much. I redid the whole tiedown procedure (after moving 20' forward to get out of the fire ants) and proceeded home at normal speed (45 and 55mph limits). Putting on your flashers and going slow should not be a replacement for some incredibly basic knotwork.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I had to go get a bunch of stuff from Home Depot and I took my father-in-law and his truck. Few sheets of drywall and some interior doors, that kind of big, billowy stuff, along with baseboard trim and some other smallish things.

We go to tie everything down, and I'm throwing the twine over to him, he does something I can't see on his side, and throws it back. I keep knotting and securing and tightening and whatnot, expecting him to do the same. We get out of the parking lot and I get up to 25mph, when the whole load flaps up on his side. I immediately pull over.

He's looped all the twine around the baseboard trim and tied it off to a gallon bucket of drywall mud. I used all the hard tiedown points in the bed.

It suddenly struck me that the average person thinks that just tying stuff to stuff (or not at all) is an acceptable way of securing a load. When I asked him about it, he just said "looks like we can only go about 25mph the rest of the way home." Yeah, not so much. I redid the whole tiedown procedure (after moving 20' forward to get out of the fire ants) and proceeded home at normal speed (45 and 55mph limits). Putting on your flashers and going slow should not be a replacement for some incredibly basic knotwork.

I nearly rear-ended someone who followed this wonderful train of thought because they were going school-zone speed on a loving limited-access highway. I mean, you just don't expect to happen upon someone going a whole 50 km/h under the speed limit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The highway I commute on every day is 75mph. Atleast 3 times a week I pass someone either towing or hauling a bed full of poo poo with hazards on, doing 45-55.

There is a service road the entire length of this highway, speed limit 55.

:catstare:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have had countless buckets, trash cans and plastic bags come near or hit my car thanks to idiot work trucks who have no idea that securing the poo poo in your bed is a good idea. Even a shittily tied tarp will keep most of your contents under control.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My favorite thing is seeing people who park in the same heated garage as me flip their wipers up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

NC got blitzed pretty badly with an ice storm last night. It started with a mix of sleet and freezing rain. I'm on my way home around 7, it's pitch dark and the precipitation is coming down pretty hard. I'm coming up to my exit and I get completely cut off by a CR-V with no taillights on. I angrily got over into the exit lane, pulled up alongside her, and notice she's just got her dim-rear end DRL's on, in this terrible weather, no taillight illumination, and she's yapping away on her cellphone. Oh, if only there was a cop in the vicinity...she'd have been dead meat.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Last night there's a light dusting of snow coming down, it's settled a bit on undriven parts of the road but it's that light dusty stuff. I'm on the longest on-ramp in the city behind a guy in an Outback doing 5mph getting onto the highway which is completely empty. As I get within 10 car lengths of him he turns his hazard lights on and does some spazzoid Morse code with his brake lights.

gently caress it. There was only an inch of snow on the paved, lane-wide shoulder (with rumble strips at the edge as a "don't drive here). Passed him as he laid on his horn and tried to jerk his wheel at me to cut me off and just spun tires.

I don't know what was going through his mind but it was probably retarded.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night there's a light dusting of snow coming down, it's settled a bit on undriven parts of the road but it's that light dusty stuff. I'm on the longest on-ramp in the city behind a guy in an Outback doing 5mph getting onto the highway which is completely empty. As I get within 10 car lengths of him he turns his hazard lights on and does some spazzoid Morse code with his brake lights.

gently caress it. There was only an inch of snow on the paved, lane-wide shoulder (with rumble strips at the edge as a "don't drive here). Passed him as he laid on his horn and tried to jerk his wheel at me to cut me off and just spun tires.

I don't know what was going through his mind but it was probably retarded.

*drives super, super conservatively due to bad weather.
What's that, someone is going to PASS me?!
*performs incredibly dangerous maneuver

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We had 3" of snow last night, and the town was well prepared. When I left my house, the main roads were not but wet pavement. I still got stuck behind a tank commander doing 25 in a 45.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

FogHelmut posted:

We had 3" of snow last night, and the town was well prepared. When I left my house, the main roads were not but wet pavement. I still got stuck behind a tank commander doing 25 in a 45.

Literally my entire commute to the office today in lower CT was like that. 50mph max on I-95 when the roads are wet. And "wet" is being generous. What the gently caress people.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Hahah, I know so many people like this. Meanwhile my truck has at least 6 each of 500lb and 2000lb tiedown/ratchet straps, and a pair of 10,000lb ratchets as well. Along with bungee cords, paracord, twine, and 3 tarps. poo poo never escapes my truck and/or trailer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw some knucklehead in a generic commuter sedan leaving home depot a while ago. They had a 3x5 sheet of that 1/2" cementboard (fiberglass weave on both sides, concrete in between, it's basically drywall that doesn't turn into mud when exposed to water) stuff you use for shower enclosures and tile floor underlayment on the roof. No roof rack, just a beach towel to keep it from scratching the paint and a single piece of twine through the passenger compartment across the middle of the cementboard.

They pulled out and everything was fine, but the road (rt20 in Auburn Mass) is a 40-50mph zone depending on where you are. The second they accelerated the front half of the cementboard started flapping up and down and beating their roof like an out of control LAPD officer. They ignored it for several miles (I followed at a safe distance since I was going that way and really wanted to know what would happen) until it finally broke in half and both halves slid down the rear windscreen and trunk lid, scratching the hell out of it.

Idiot tax: paid. Hope the bodywork was worth not even getting your cementboard home, dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ijustam posted:

Or poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffg7J1Spc5c

I bought a tiny (4' x 2'6") camping trailer last year for £80, stripped it bare, did the bearings, replaced the wiring, wheels, wood and all nuts/bolts then painted the poo poo out of it, a neighbor asked if I'd sell it for £60. Nope.

I explained why I'd have to get like £200+ to make it worth selling. The next week he turns up with the grottiest chipboard-clad rusted to poo poo trailer precariously perched on a knackered van axle I've ever seen.

He was proud to have spent less than me on a bigger trailer, then packed it full of camping gear and went on holiday. He came back without the trailer and won't talk about it.