Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Is there somewhere or some way to get a fresh pair of binoculars in GAMMA? I made the age-old mistake of installing night-vision on mine and now they're unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can craft them but I don't know if I recall any for sale.

It's weird how bad the bino night vision is, even the basic shader based version is better and has the option to change the exposure.

E: fixed my shaders, had to delete the shader cache

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 23, 2022

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just saw it in the tools menu, perfect, thank you!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I got absurdly lucky this morning, holy cow.

After doing a bunch of odd jobs around Cordon and the Great Swamp, getting rewarded with and also buying a couple of stash coordinates, I made the dive into Garbage, where an overwhelming number of them were located. While there, I lit up another boof and got to explore during an emission and collect all of my goodies in peace. I ended up with:

• PU-Scoped SKS in dynamite condition
  • 3 sets of Basic Tools (to add to the one I already had)
  • A set of Advanced Tools
  • Drug-making Kit
  • Other assorted stuff mostly stripped off of bad guns in bad condition, like silencers and some C-More and EOTech sights, but the two most crucial things:
  • Enough materials to not only make a new set of Binoculars, but upgrade my headlamp all the way to the PN21KL with night-vision (and it's the good shader)
  • A Nomad stalker suit and enough materials to make a medium armor repair kit and get that bad boy up to 69% (nice) condition

I was literally whistling as I treked my way back to my temporary base of operations of the Northern Farm in Cordon.

I've consistently bounced off of the free-play STALKER mods in the past despite trying pretty much all of them, but I think with a combination of age and GAMMA going out of its way to not be ball-bustingly hard and opaque (that update from yesterday that shows you crafting associations in tooltips is :discourse:) this is really hitting just right.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah the night vision upgrade to binoculars is a bit of a trap because you can't toggle it on it off yourself and sometimes it'll turn on automatically while it's still daylight and become entirely useless.

Also, SKS with a scope is a nice setup for the early game and can still last a ways beyond Rostock since the cartridge has enough oomph to punch through armored enemies. That's a really good find.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd like to say it's been great for taking out the Bandits that keep assaulting the Farm, but the five or six Loners that are posted up there absolutely decimate them while I'm inside with the traders making important deals.

EDIT: But it did help me out taking out three Mercenaries in Wild Territory while on my current trip to Rostok. They each had a Desert Eagle. One was black, one was silver, one was gold.

I've never felt more justified in killing in a video game ever.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 23, 2022

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There's a very hilarious version of the Deagle in GAMMA that not only is able to mount scopes like ACOGs but then can also be caliber converted into a single-shot 12.7mm cannon. Also, you can equip pistols and some PDW's in your vision and melee slots so you can roll with a gimmicky sniper pistol as a backup weapon if you feel so inclined

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
you will never convince me to use a deagle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got one of the scopeable deagles and it's real good, kills the poo poo out of muties and is accurate enough to kill people with too. Also got an MP7 which is nice to have in the vision slot cos it has good AP. Honestly try and get something that takes 357 because it hits real hard, there's a cheap revolver somewhere that takes it if you are offended by the deagle.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

There's a very hilarious version of the Deagle in GAMMA that not only is able to mount scopes like ACOGs but then can also be caliber converted into a single-shot 12.7mm cannon. Also, you can equip pistols and some PDW's in your vision and melee slots so you can roll with a gimmicky sniper pistol as a backup weapon if you feel so inclined

More games and mods need to take the Metro approach to weapon design imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a tiny detail but I super liked in metro exodus that there is a noticeable difference between double action and single action triggers for the revolver. The double action fires faster, as you would expect, but it simulates the heavier pull by adding a very slight delay after you click before the gun fires, which makes it far worse if you're running it as a sniper rifle.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've never found enough .50 pistol ammo to consider the modification. I think only those bullpup Groza rifles use those normally.
I was rubbing with P90 as a backup gun, and it's amazing in that role, but 5,7 is even worse since it gets used faster than .50 or .357. I wish ammo wasn't that crazy expensive or was easier to manufacture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

5.7 isn't too expensive, but it is definitely only something you want to use on human enemies. It has very good AP for a pistol cartridge so that's basically how you use it, if you just want something that can fire good AP ammo but you're using your primary slots for other things, possibly cheaper, crappier guns or shotguns.

You can spray it in an emergency but you probably want to use it more precisely for headshots because it doesn't do a lot of damage, but it should do reliable damage even against armoured enemies.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You should definitely use the gunsmithing tools to roll your own ammo and disassemble ammo for calibers you don't need. I just break down all the 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x25, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge slugs (I keep the AP slugs though) and I'm swimming in more than enough components to make superior ammo like .45ACP Hydroshock and 12 gauge shotguns to the point that I don't even need to buy them. 5.7 is super cheap to reload too if you break down the aforementioned pistol calibers (you get a lot of the armor piercing pistol tips from all the 9x18 AP ammo which is pretty meh for AP ammo).

There's some esoteric rounds that are harder to reload such as .357 requiring small rifle powder and 23mm shells for the KS-23 requiring large rifle powder, making them more expensive/competing in the same category as ammo components for primary weapons, but pistol/SMG/shotgun's shouldn't have too much trouble staying fed through reloading.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

moot the hopple posted:

You should definitely use the gunsmithing tools to roll your own ammo and disassemble ammo for calibers you don't need. I just break down all the 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x25, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge slugs (I keep the AP slugs though) and I'm swimming in more than enough components to make superior ammo like .45ACP Hydroshock and 12 gauge shotguns to the point that I don't even need to buy them. 5.7 is super cheap to reload too if you break down the aforementioned pistol calibers (you get a lot of the armor piercing pistol tips from all the 9x18 AP ammo which is pretty meh for AP ammo).

There's some esoteric rounds that are harder to reload such as .357 requiring small rifle powder and 23mm shells for the KS-23 requiring large rifle powder, making them more expensive/competing in the same category as ammo components for primary weapons, but pistol/SMG/shotgun's shouldn't have too much trouble staying fed through reloading.

Is there any guaranteed way to get the gunsmithing tools? I picked up a Five-seveN in great condition really early on in my playthrough but I have pathetically little 5.7x28 so I haven't been able to use it at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

12 gauge slug is good though

although 357 aparently hits just as hard as it, somehow.

Also honestly a lot of the calibers can be bought fairly cheaply, your rifle rounds are expensive but that's just encouragement, to me, to specialize a bit more and try to use the other ammo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's a good point. I tend to forget how often mutants are the enemy and end up with some 5.45 AK and 9mm backup pistol. It works fine if I run in a group, but when stalkering alone some more stopping power would be nice.
I've dropped the difficulty a lot, might be age or the fact I'm bad at FPS, but I'm terrible at picking the enemy target from the background. Red Forest during the day is absolutely worst in that regard. In general higher class NV during the night are my jam. I've assumed more mutants will be around at night, but it doesn't feel like it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

You should definitely use the gunsmithing tools to roll your own ammo and disassemble ammo for calibers you don't need.

Another thing I didn't consider. Appreciate all the advise in thread.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Namnesor posted:

Is there any guaranteed way to get the gunsmithing tools? I picked up a Five-seveN in great condition really early on in my playthrough but I have pathetically little 5.7x28 so I haven't been able to use it at all.

It's all RNG, but green stashes are guaranteed to have some kind of tool set in them (including gunsmithing and medical). You can still find them in common white stashes so keep doing missions for stash rewards.

OwlFancier posted:

12 gauge slug is good though

although 357 aparently hits just as hard as it, somehow.

12 gauge slug breaks down into leadshot for some reason and therefore can be turned into superior buckshot for mutant duty. 12 gauge AP slug has it's own special tip which is why I reserve it. If I'm using slugs in a shotgun, I'll use the one with more punchiness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AP has less punchyness, just better AP. Normal slug is a good mix I think of AP and punch. AP slug is for like, if you need to shoot an exosuit with your shotgun, far too expensive to waste on anything else.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
That's exactly the situation I'm in, I have a ISG Saiga for that reason as a secondary stalker killer that I'll load up with AP slugs whenever I run low on 7.62 NATO for my SR-25.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A really good way is to start in yantar as an ecologist
or go in that direction, be prepared to backtrack as well, also hip is awesome.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

moot the hopple posted:

It's all RNG, but green stashes are guaranteed to have some kind of tool set in them (including gunsmithing and medical). You can still find them in common white stashes so keep doing missions for stash rewards.

Gotcha, thanks! I've got a couple white and green stashes in Agroprom, looks like I'm headed there next.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There was a small hotfix this morning for GAMMA for some animation fixes and support for the new weapons, so make sure to go into the installer ->download GAMMA data -> only install GAMMA addons. You'll have to once again re-enable optional addons but it won't revert your in game settings and configs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

who the gently caress taught burers how to do force lightning???

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I got one of the scopeable deagles and it's real good, kills the poo poo out of muties and is accurate enough to kill people with too. Also got an MP7 which is nice to have in the vision slot cos it has good AP. Honestly try and get something that takes 357 because it hits real hard, there's a cheap revolver somewhere that takes it if you are offended by the deagle.

Another nice thing I've noted about revolvers is that their simple construction means the ones I've seen have like half the components to wear out vs other handguns, making it easier to restore busted ones and maintain good ones.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

OwlFancier posted:

who the gently caress taught burers how to do force lightning???

After years of Burers being ridiculous pushovers, I encountered my first one last week and was humbled by how dangerous they had become (at least under the right conditions, which this one was). He was a real fucker.

EDIT: I noticed that the wiki mentioned their sensitivity to light, and that you can sometimes stun them by shining a flashlight on them...is that actually a thing? It used to be, a good way to handle them was to sprint up to them and drive a knife into their brain.

moot the hopple posted:

There was a small hotfix this morning for GAMMA for some animation fixes and support for the new weapons, so make sure to go into the installer ->download GAMMA data -> only install GAMMA addons. You'll have to once again re-enable optional addons but it won't revert your in game settings and configs.

Again thanks for the news.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 23, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

moot the hopple posted:

Yeah the night vision upgrade to binoculars is a bit of a trap because you can't toggle it on it off yourself and sometimes it'll turn on automatically while it's still daylight and become entirely useless.

Also, SKS with a scope is a nice setup for the early game and can still last a ways beyond Rostock since the cartridge has enough oomph to punch through armored enemies. That's a really good find.

7.62x39 ap will 1 tap exo heads. it's good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor posted:

Gotcha, thanks! I've got a couple white and green stashes in Agroprom, looks like I'm headed there next.

I didn't even make it to Agroprom.

I was intending to head there by way of the Great Swamp because I had a few dotted stashes to pick up from there, one of which was in the Tuzla Encampment to the northwest. It was infested with Renegades, quite a few at that. I was thinking I might just avoid them, and try and sneak to the stash and bail. Then it started raining.

The SKS, my beautiful boy, loaded up with AP rounds. They never knew where I was.

Off of their corpses, I acquired a Karabiner 98 Kurz, a MP-412 Rex, a PP-19 Vityaz-SN... and an SV98.

Then the stash had gunsmithing tools in it.

Some day my luck will run out and The Zone will take its pound of flesh, but it's not today.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Tabletops posted:

7.62x39 ap will 1 tap exo heads. it's good.

I look at ammo types in terms of components and I think 7.62x39 is the most bang for your buck usage of small rifle components (9x39 is also technically small rifle but I hate the bullet drop on those guns). I used an AK104 in 7.62x39 for a bit when 5.45 started falling off against exo Monolith and it absolutely shreds. The AEK-973 from base game Anomaly in that caliber isn't in GAMMA anymore, otherwise I'd use it, but apparently there's a sick end game polymer AK in the caliber that the Discord likes, so I'm saving up a stockpile for when I finally find it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

moot the hopple posted:

I look at ammo types in terms of components and I think 7.62x39 is the most bang for your buck usage of small rifle components (9x39 is also technically small rifle but I hate the bullet drop on those guns). I used an AK104 in 7.62x39 for a bit when 5.45 started falling off against exo Monolith and it absolutely shreds. The AEK-973 from base game Anomaly in that caliber isn't in GAMMA anymore, otherwise I'd use it, but apparently there's a sick end game polymer AK in the caliber that the Discord likes, so I'm saving up a stockpile for when I finally find it.

yeah i was searching far and wide in my last playthrough for an aek-973, but never found it. didn't realize it was disabled lol.

and yeah, the other AK they're talking about is good. not as good (think the AEK 973 has way better recoil) , but still better than other options and accepts nato sights, an underbarrel grenade launcher and other poo poo.

but personally Idk if i can ever give up a VSS or vss-like if i get one. it's always been my favorite gun in stalker and it's still maybe one of the best guns in the game in gamma.

click click

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

GAMMA question: Does the Mags Redux addon need reload to move to a separate key, F10, from unjam, R? No way to keep unjam and reload on R as before?

Updating GAMMA on the Deck is a bit of a pain. Have to do it on Windows then copy it over to the Deck. Using rsync so only the changes get copied, but it's still lengthy. Wrote a script to automate removing reshade and copying my own MO2 and user.ltx configs back in. So it's mostly straightforward now, just a bit time consuming.

Pretty amazing mod.

Reading the reddit sub is interesting. Anomaly is now referred to as"vanilla" gameplay in fundamental ways, even though it has so many changes from Misery, CoC, CoM, and even Last Day in it. Guess that accurately reflects how much Anomaly did to keep the game fresh and start new players.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

v1ld posted:

Reading the reddit sub is interesting. Anomaly is now referred to as"vanilla" gameplay in fundamental ways, even though it has so many changes from Misery, CoC, CoM, and even Last Day in it. Guess that accurately reflects how much Anomaly did to keep the game fresh and start new players.

I've sold a couple of people on GAMMA over the past week (or so) and it's funny because they've all asked something like "okay which STALKER games do I need? Do I need them all?" and I have to explain that GAMMA is a mod for a standalone mod called Anomaly--we're putting mods on these mods of those mods, but you don't need the games that some of the original mods (like Misery) were made for.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've sold a couple of people on GAMMA over the past week (or so) and it's funny because they've all asked something like "okay which STALKER games do I need? Do I need them all?" and I have to explain that GAMMA is a mod for a standalone mod called Anomaly--we're putting mods on these mods of those mods, but you don't need the games that some of the original mods (like Misery) were made for.

I've likewise sold two friends on GAMMA on the simplicity of the setup (and regaling them with my tales of derring-do). Like I said earlier, the fact that GAMMA does a lot to put all of the information you want in the game itself has gone a long way to get all three of us interested and engaged.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

v1ld posted:

GAMMA question: Does the Mags Redux addon need reload to move to a separate key, F10, from unjam, R? No way to keep unjam and reload on R as before?

From the Discord:

In order to properly enable Mags Redux:

1) Enable Mags Redux (Disable G.A.M.M.A. Unjam Reload) (the mod under "Optional")
2) Disable G.A.M.M.A. Unjam Reload on the same key (yes it's a mod, no it isn't a keybind)
3) Enable Ammo Check (this is a mod as well)
4) While in game, check your keybinds for RELOAD and UNJAM in Settings > Controls > Bindings
5) After successfully following all steps, you need to Left-Alt + left click the magazine to add to your loadout, before a reload can work
Bonus) You can also enable Mags Buyable at Traders if you want, it's a mod already inside your mod list

KEEP IN MIND that once you enable Mags Redux, you can't disable it in your current save file.

The only 100% safe way to do so is by loading a save where you DON'T have the mod enabled OR by starting a new game WITHOUT Mags Redux.

We also have this POSSIBLE workaround if you want to disable Mags Redux in the middle of your game:
https://discord.com/channels/912320241713958912/969891558281334825/1033112721606053990

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

1) Enable Mags Redux (Disable G.A.M.M.A. Unjam Reload) (the mod under "Optional")
2) Disable G.A.M.M.A. Unjam Reload on the same key (yes it's a mod, no it isn't a keybind)
3) Enable Ammo Check (this is a mod as well)
4) While in game, check your keybinds for RELOAD and UNJAM in Settings > Controls > Bindings
5) After successfully following all steps, you need to Left-Alt + left click the magazine to add to your loadout, before a reload can work
Bonus) You can also enable Mags Buyable at Traders if you want, it's a mod already inside your mod list

Thanks! I'm in the process of going through the channels under Guides and hadn't seen this yet. (Have to say Grok goes above and beyond to provide clear and concise instructions on everything! Concise is hard as evidenced by my extensive posting history, also a good anti-example for clarity.)

I've done most of these steps except 3.
1) Did this.
2) Did this.
3) Didn't know of this mod.
4) These show up as separate bindings, F10 and R. But that was without Ammo Check.
5) Did this too, thanks to the discussion a couple pages back. The tip to favorite ammo was very useful too.

Will give mags a run while I'm getting used to GAMMA in Cordon. Dragging and dropping ammo isn't as fluid on the Deck's touchpad as when you're using a mouse so will see how that goes.

Namnesor posted:

Like I said earlier, the fact that GAMMA does a lot to put all of the information you want in the game itself has gone a long way to get all three of us interested and engaged.

Yeah! The new patch showing the items that can be crafted from what you're hovering over is a great example of this - that's super useful to see right there.

Related: What's with the GAMMA Disabled section in the modlist? Are those unsafe to use? "Raven's Tooltips on the Side" looks neat assuming it's the mod here.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 24, 2022

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I don't use the Mags Redux myself (I might try it whenever I do a new playthrough) so can't help you there.

For the stuff that's disabled, all I know is that some of the disabled animations can cause a gamebreaking bug that prevents you from interacting with anything and can corrupt your save so be careful about those.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Namnesor posted:

I've likewise sold two friends on GAMMA on the simplicity of the setup (and regaling them with my tales of derring-do). Like I said earlier, the fact that GAMMA does a lot to put all of the information you want in the game itself has gone a long way to get all three of us interested and engaged.

v1ld posted:

Yeah! The new patch showing the items that can be crafted from what you're hovering over is a great example of this - that's super useful to see right there.

At this point significant aspects of the mod are more accessible than a lot of published games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

At this point significant aspects of the mod are more accessible than a lot of published games.

It's brilliant. You're not overloaded with information, and whatever you want to know is never that far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, it is. I don't know when these games added the bottom right icons that show what an item does, but that's so useful too. Great to see work on accessibility being a big thing.

Another good example, Mags Redux uses loadout slots in your armor that you can see in your inventory and in the armor tooltip! That an optional mod can change core UI so much is amazing.

Clicking an aggregate of items shows the individual items in detail view under your armor.

Battery usage is visible in your inventory and a low battery icon pops up on the screen.

Would be so cool to play the original trilogy as content mods in this engine.

The zone keeps evolving so maybe it'll happen.

E: Mags Redux actually takes into account whether you have a free loadout slot to stick the empty mag into when reloading. The last page of its options has the details where the author says the mod expects you to have two hands, not three, and behaves accordingly. Cool stuff.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 25, 2022