Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

Maj Kusanagi's cybernetics were programmed in JAVASCRIPT? God, what a loving nightmare that project must have been to work on...

The Gundams ran off of a TWAIN driver, so I don't see the problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Hisamelody/status/751625488955633664

:stonk:

Yep, that's a nightmare alright.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's like.... is she a cyborg killing machine, or a loving webserver?

Literally: the code they shopped into those images is just mundane boring stuff off of some website. It has no bearing whatsoever on cybernetics.

Is it just computer programmers who have to contend with popular culture utterly mangling their profession, or do other professions also get to laugh at hopelessly wrong manglings of their field of expertise?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Medical professionals, dogg. Movies and TV cannot get healthcare right to save their lives.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hyperlynx posted:

Literally: the code they shopped into those images is just mundane boring stuff off of some website. It has no bearing whatsoever on cybernetics.

Is it just computer programmers who have to contend with popular culture utterly mangling their profession, or do other professions also get to laugh at hopelessly wrong manglings of their field of expertise?
It's every profession.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hyperlynx posted:

Any genetic or mircrobiology position. Really, most of the sciences.

All of the sciences.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Professional writers are in their position because (in theory) they're experts at writing. Because they spend their time practicing their profession, many of them don't acquire the expertise of other professions. Sometimes their job requires them to write a character who is an expert. Because of their skill at writing, they're often able to convince laymen that the things they've written are a faithful representation of that expertise, but because they're still laymen themselves, they can't fool an expert.

The only skills that are not susceptible to constant bastardization in media are the skills related to the creation of that media.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hyperlynx posted:

Ninety five percent of people won't notice.

Those last five percent will be driven mad by the slightest inaccuracy. :v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Ninety five percent of people won't notice.

Those last five percent will be driven mad by the slightest inaccuracy. :v:

Once someone learns about proper trigger discipline, they will always be bothered by it in media regardless of how much else they know about guns and shooting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

You should bathe in the magical glory that was two seasons of CSI: Cyber :allears:.

Though to be fair, I can't entirely hate CSI:Cyber just because it pushed some very real modern-day computer threats into the public eye. Even if half the time the way they used them were utter bullshit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hyperlynx posted:

Literally any subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7yfLwMds5c

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Once someone learns about proper trigger discipline, they will always be bothered by it in media regardless of how much else they know about guns and shooting.

Way too loving true. I don't even like guns but since having it pointed out, NYARGH.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

D.va doritos.

Mt.dew.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Hyperlynx posted:

I worked on a nuclear submarine, in the engineroom. Every single depiction of nuclear power and almost every single depiction of submarines you've seen in movies and tv is pants on head retarded.

The most accurate submarine movie ever made is Down Periscope.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Ghost in the Shell (SAC) did this with muzzle sweep and I STILL remember it. Sure, Batou, just wave your SMG at the trainees so the major knows who you're talking about!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's true. I know next to nothing about guns, but - thanks to goons - I know about trigger discipline and check for it all the time. :negative:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Lime Tonics posted:

D.va doritos.

Mt.dew.

wood

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I've heard the same said about My Cousin Vinny for courtroom movies

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I've always assumed this but the confirmation is nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Symmetra from Overwatch

She goes into how she made the costume here. https://www.kamuicosplay.com/2015/10/07/symmetra-commisioned-by-blizzard-yeah/

And here's just the gun if that's all you're interested in. http://kamuicosplay.tumblr.com/post/130711237167/check-the-full-making-of-my-symmetra-cosplay-on-my

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Check out this gecko cosplaying as a Malagasy leaf-nosed snake.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Bert Roberge posted:

Check out this gecko cosplaying as a Malagasy leaf-nosed snake.

That gecko looks so happy to be cosplaying! :3:

Forti
May 5, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Way too loving true. I don't even like guns but since having it pointed out, NYARGH.

I like guns a lot and couldn't give less of a poo poo, different strokes I guess

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Forti posted:

different strokes I guess

I'm pretty sure that stroking it is also bad trigger discipline

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that stroking it is also bad trigger discipline

So what does the NRA people do?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The MSJ posted:

So what does the NRA people do?

I dunno but stroking is what I want them to do.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I worked on a nuclear submarine, in the engineroom. Every single depiction of nuclear power and almost every single depiction of submarines you've seen in movies and tv is pants on head retarded.

Not Das Boot? :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat we've gone badly off topic, someone post Das Boot cosplay or something quick

Edit: ????

Edit: oh poo poo I actually found Das Boot cosplay

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jul 10, 2016

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

NLJP posted:

Not Das Boot? :smith:

nope

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Even Fury (for all its faults still a great tank movie) had an expanded internal tank set. poo poo was small yo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Das Pooch

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

rodbeard posted:

I've heard the same said about My Cousin Vinny for courtroom movies

I've heard the same about Scrubs and hospitals outside of top level trauma centers.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jul 10, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Das(c) Hund.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dasch Boot. C'mon, it's written on the side of the sub!

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

I've heard the same about Scrubs and hospitals outside of top level trauma centers.

Filled with people attempting to be funny the exact same way again and again, punctuated by transparent emmy bait poignant moments?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LingcodKilla posted:

Even Fury (for all its faults still a great tank movie) had an expanded internal tank set. poo poo was small yo.

To be fair here, they wouldn't have been able to film it on anything other than a fisheye lens cellphone if they didn't expand the interior set. As for the guy who worked in the submarine engineering room, what does it actually look like?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurkman posted:

Filled with people attempting to be funny the exact same way again and again, punctuated by transparent emmy bait poignant moments?

Life and death moments are actually pretty rare so the docs and nurses spend most of their time bullshitting around. The resident alcoholic may or may not be in recovery. Everyone hates the accountant team.

Then they have a mini reunion on Cougartown.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I thought it was because on Scrubs, the patients didn't get made up bullshit, they got, like, cancer.

On topic, every one of you should stop what you're doing and follow Ripley the Cosplay Corgi on Facebook. This dumb bastard makes my day better every time I see him.

EDIT: I could give you the drat link, couldn't I. https://www.facebook.com/RipleyTheCosplayCorgi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bean posted:

I thought it was because on Scrubs, the patients didn't get made up bullshit, they got, like, cancer.

If you hear hoof steps, think horses, not zebras.

• Locked thread