Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Me again.

I've just set up AE2 autocrafting, complete with all storage drives up to 64k. Problem is that I need to grow a shitload of quartz seeds for that, and it lags the absolute gently caress out of my game when it drops that many seeds into the world. Is there any other way of growing them quickly that doesn't lag the hell out of the game? I thought for sure there'd be an upper-tier machine that could grow them without having to spawn hundreds/thousands of them in the world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Your solution lies in the mod AE2 Stuff. It has auto-inscribers and growing chambers.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Datasmurf posted:

Your solution lies in the mod AE2 Stuff. It has auto-inscribers and growing chambers.

Perfect, thanks!

Now for the crafting monitor. Seems like you can't attach it to an AE system to have it next to your crafting terminal, it has to be a part of the multiblock autocrafter? What the gently caress? Why would they take away something so useful?

AE2 has to be one of the worst cases of mod regression I can think of. If there was a viable equivalent, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Perfect, thanks!

Now for the crafting monitor. Seems like you can't attach it to an AE system to have it next to your crafting terminal, it has to be a part of the multiblock autocrafter? What the gently caress? Why would they take away something so useful?

AE2 has to be one of the worst cases of mod regression I can think of. If there was a viable equivalent, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

You can monitor from the crafting terminal, the monitor only shows the current job the multiblock processors are running,

On the crafting terminal click the hammer top right of the interface to see whats being crafted realtime

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mr Scumbag posted:

Me again.

I've just set up AE2 autocrafting, complete with all storage drives up to 64k. Problem is that I need to grow a shitload of quartz seeds for that, and it lags the absolute gently caress out of my game when it drops that many seeds into the world. Is there any other way of growing them quickly that doesn't lag the hell out of the game? I thought for sure there'd be an upper-tier machine that could grow them without having to spawn hundreds/thousands of them in the world...

unless you're playing on a goofy challenge modpack, you probably don't need to use pure quartz crystals, you can just slum it with the regular stuff

if you're post-scarcity, why bother doubling the quartz

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

unless you're playing on a goofy challenge modpack, you probably don't need to use pure quartz crystals, you can just slum it with the regular stuff

if you're post-scarcity, why bother doubling the quartz

Unless something's changed, calculation processors need pure quartz

And yeah, AE2stuff is required.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A second possibility is a slow but constant dripfeed of crystal seeds so barring some insane construction all at once you have enough that you aren't lagging from hundreds of entities.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
It's not hard to set up automation to continually grow pure seeds.

Frankly if you're throwing enough seeds in the world to cause lag, you're going totally overboard and should maybe back up a bit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think the problem is automating the seeds by dropping individual ones, which will then not group up due to having different metadata. Drop stacks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Also 64k drivers are overkill. Use 16k drives, and Deep Storage Units for things you need absolute massive quantities of.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Also 64k drivers are overkill. Use 16k drives, and Deep Storage Units for things you need absolute massive quantities of.

Ive gotten away with a bank of 10x 1k. But it's nice to have a bank of 64k's.

I normally make 1 stack of seeds for pure quartz, which then gives 2 stacks of pure quartz, and unless i stuff up by using them in recs that dont need them i never have to make any more.

But if you can get ae2 stuff, the growth chambers are awesome. (but crash my game :/)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Devor posted:

Yeah, I know, but most of what I find most fun in modded Minecraft is going way overboard with everything. Especially power generation and storage. There's a post of mine in this thread a while back where I made the max size big reactor without cheating. I was already generating more power than I'd ever need, but it was fun just making the infrastructure for crafting the components for such a big project.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
The problem with DSUs, are that they max out at 2 mill or so. Hardly enough, and it's frustrating having to set up many DSUs for one thing. Sometimes extra cells' biggest disks are just easier to deal with.

b00n
May 8, 2007
Actually, DSUs max out at exactly 2'147'483'647. It's the largest signed number a 32 bit system can handle, signed meaning it can go that far in negative too (-2'147'483'647). Good luck filling it up without being dedicated to doing that.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, I don't think I've ever come close to filling one. I have one that contains 30mil stone at the moment, so 2mil definitely isn't the limit.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Huh. That's weird. I had 3 on some server which all capped out at 2 mill cobblestone.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Datasmurf posted:

Huh. That's weird. I had 3 on some server which all capped out at 2 mill cobblestone.

It was probably changed via config.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Is there any fix for the problem where a modpack will suddenly hang for a few seconds, then once the game starts running again, you get the same hang every 3-4 seconds after?

I've tried raising and lowering RAM, but nothing helps, and restarting these huge modpacks is a gigantic loving pain in the rear end.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have had that problem so many times any never found a working fix for it.
Lots of posts everywhere suggesting fixes but nothing has ever worked for me.
I have always attributed it to a slow rear end processor.

Usually just end up starting a new map.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I find I get that a lot if I switch dimensions quickly and often, or warp around a bunch, or if I leave the game minimized for a long while while I go do something else. I think it has to do with garbage collection, since it seems to hang as the RAM usage caps around the mid-90s and then GC runs and brings it down to the 70s-80s. The only way I've ever found to work around it is to just restart the client.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know any quick ways to copy an AE2 spatial dimension I created from one save to another? It's not so trivial. I am afraid to just plow over the dimensions and AE2 folders because I set up some other spatial storage in the new save. All I can think to do is slap the stored region in the world somewhere and shove it on a new disk.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
And a bonus CustomNPCs question: Can somebody share a snippet of dialog scripting? I want to give a dialog option for a player to be teleported to a specific dimension with specific coordinates. I wanted to use /rftdim tp to do it, but I can't target a player that way. It looked like there was a CustomNPCs call for getting a handle on the initiator of the dialog and running the command on them. Does anybody have any examples? I'd prefer it be Scala since that seems to be built-in. Of the lot of languages, that is the one I don't actually know, but I can fudge it.

Edit: Got JavaScript working and figured it out. It's API is completely inconsistent with anything I saw or watched online. Hooray for stale documentation! It also looks like I can't execute a command against the player that is interacting with the NPC, so my whole scheme behind this was worthless. It looks like to teleport somebody to a specific dimension and coordinates, I might as well just implement the command itself in my support mod, and then run off of that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Skyfactory question: I found and disabled the mod that adds a bunch of YouTube "celebrities" (there aren't enough scare quotes in the world) who run around opening doors, but haven't figured out what mod adds the wacky voice clips that play every time I die/pick up food/whatever. Any idea how to turn those off too?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have lost the burn with MC at the moment and have been playing fortresscraft evolved,

Is there any new Modpacks out at the moment similar to blightfall style that might make MC fun again

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blood and iron is p fun, i've enjoyed running round looting weapons and shooting doom demons

i have however lost the urge to industrialise in it. i've been burnt out by gregtech new horizons and spoiled by minefactory/thermal expansion

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Goon Danton posted:

Skyfactory question: I found and disabled the mod that adds a bunch of YouTube "celebrities" (there aren't enough scare quotes in the world) who run around opening doors, but haven't figured out what mod adds the wacky voice clips that play every time I die/pick up food/whatever. Any idea how to turn those off too?

Disable/remove Audio Death and delete the Ding config (it'll regenerate the config to just play a Ding when the game is done loading).

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

I have lost the burn with MC at the moment and have been playing fortresscraft evolved,

Is there any new Modpacks out at the moment similar to blightfall style that might make MC fun again

If you're looking for a challenge and multiplayer, you could try WilsonSMP. We relaunched yesterday and people are enjyoing it.

Highlights include an overhauled crafting system for tools, weapons, armor and food, new ores, a broad server storyline that is added on as people build (just for fun, the story is kind of a neat way to lend more purpose to builds. It's not an RP server). The food overhaul is mostly optional, we don't have the Spice of Life mod in because that's just tedious. The overall effect of the new crafting stations (mills, smelteries, forges, and so on) is to lend more of a sense of really settling into an area as a base.

We also use customnpcs to have an economy and to lend a sense of life to the world. Players can help out in the main town if they like, or join the bandit faction and gently caress with the main town (with more opportunities to do stuff like rob trading caravans coming later as the world grows and more towns are established).

The world also has many generated dungeons and hand-crafted dungeons that tie a bit into the story.

Most mods are geared towards making base survival more difficult in a satsifying way or towards adding lots of decoration options. The biggest rules are 1. Don't be a dick and 2. Build with purpose and in a way that makes sense. Don't make megabuilds for the sake of making megabuilds. Cobble pyramids are boring; build a nice village and you may find it populated with npcs that trade, give quests, get attacked by bandits, or just exist.

EDIT: Check this out if this sounds neat. http://www.wilsonsmp.com/index.php

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

So how's the future of modded Minecraft looking right now? It seems like the smart thing for Microsoft to do would be to keep on with their new builds in one way, but it would alienate a huge fanbase in the other. Are we going to keep getting Java builds, and if we are will they make it easier to mod?

Say, what the gently caress is going on with that API, by the way?

Edit: I say this because I will never, ever again play a modpack that contains AE2 and I'm really hoping for someone who isn't a "MY VISION" piece of poo poo to come up with a decent and non "gently caress the player" item management system.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Mr Scumbag posted:

Edit: I say this because I will never, ever again play a modpack that contains AE2 and I'm really hoping for someone who isn't a "MY VISION" piece of poo poo to come up with a decent and non "gently caress the player" item management system.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/storage-network?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=241064

There's hope yet. Modding is going strong for 1.10. The java version is proceeding on its own path distinct from Win 10/PE.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like to teleport somebody to a specific dimension and coordinates, I might as well just implement the command itself in my support mod, and then run off of that.

You could give the NPC you want to teleport the person a transporter job, set up a new NPC at the location you want the player transported to, and then delete that NPC once the transport network is set up. It will let you teleport people to the location as if the deleted NPC was still there. That's the only way I know of that lets you teleport people to other dimensions within the mod.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Early game: Storage Drawers is good and integrates with logistics pipes or ae2 once you get to that point.

Not sure what your complaint about ae2 is given that it takes minimal resource/time investment, is extremely powerful, and even has fun game mechanics like channels and automation challenges like seeds. My complaint about AE1 was too boring and obtained far too early, my complaint about ae2 is I wish there were more network management things to do and that the bug that breaks interfaces/import/export buses until you reinitialize the network would get fixed. That bug existed in ae1, too.

Logistics Pipes is really good but it can hit fps and tps if you make too complex of a system. There are pipe covers to fix the fps issue, but they seem not very practical unless you creative them in or play in a pack where automated mining is accessible. It also requires a decent amount of reading and playing around before you "get" it. But once you get it, it's very powerful and the resource costs are fair. The autocrafting part is not eloquent and a bit of a letdown, some other mod should really take over there, but it's great for piping stuff around, automatically processing, and accessing all of your storage drawers/barrels/inventories remotely and from one screen.

There are ae2 clones for 1.8.x/1.9. Not sure if any are good.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 9, 2016

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Khorne posted:

Not sure what your complaint about ae2 is given that it takes minimal resource/time investment, is extremely powerful, and even has fun game mechanics like channels and automation challenges like seeds.

I don't know exactly what his complaint is, but I feel the same way and it's because AE2 deletes all other mods in the game. In any modpack with AE2 the "smart" thing is to connect every single part of every device to it and have it manage everything, and as a result you'll never actually interact with any mod that can be managed by it. In addition, the amount of time you have to spend working with channels and the insane quirkery of AE2 means that you will also spend 99% of your in-game time working with AE2 to delete all other mods.

It swallows all your time and energy, with the end result being that you have a game with 99 trillion of arbitrary interstitial items you needed 3 of, ever, and zero mods except AE2.

After I played Blightfall I rolled a pack that explicitly had zero AE2 and actually noticed and enjoyed a lot of the mods' quirks and systems; piping and wiring Immersive Engineering bits and bobs, for example. In AE2 every machine was "is this more or less efficient at process A than every other mod in the pack? great, paste an ME interface to it and have whatever it does show up as a blob in my AE2 window." As much as I enjoyed Blightfall, that was for the world and its flavor, not for AE2; I had a lot more fun after it was gone and I would never use it or anything like it again. It is a ton of stress and hassle with its quirks that exist to "balance" the fact that it overwhelms everything else by how insidiously overreaching it is, which also isn't fun for me.

Also, the visual styles of AE2 are almost nice until I realized that they have to swarm the machine, meaning every device connected to AE2 has to be embedded in a wall or hidden since I don't like huge amounts of exposed wiring. Not a fan of that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stressed By Minecraft Mods, Next Steps??

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the hilarious thing about ae2 is that i actually don't like to use it unless i have botania, because botania has the whatsit that lets you teleport item entities, and the whatsit that picks up items inside of a small radius

this way you can create a block of water surrounded by six crystal growth accelerators, and use the flowers to teleport in seeds and out fully grown crystals :flashfact:

(the single block crystal growth machines from ae2 stuff are cheating :mad:)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BlondRobin posted:

I don't know exactly what his complaint is, but I feel the same way and it's because AE2 deletes all other mods in the game. In any modpack with AE2 the "smart" thing is to connect every single part of every device to it and have it manage everything, and as a result you'll never actually interact with any mod that can be managed by it. In addition, the amount of time you have to spend working with channels and the insane quirkery of AE2 means that you will also spend 99% of your in-game time working with AE2 to delete all other mods.

It swallows all your time and energy, with the end result being that you have a game with 99 trillion of arbitrary interstitial items you needed 3 of, ever, and zero mods except AE2.
I understand this sentiment and often enjoy packs with no ae2 or heavily gated ae2.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I never bothered to learn how AE2 works, so all modpacks are effectively packs without AE2.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I still have my banks of jabba barrels. AE2 becomes my crafting centre.

Also ender storage is great.

I only spend time setting up my automated inscribers for ae2. its just another storage mode.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you don't need to use it if you don't like it. I don't understand this 'it deletes other mods' rhetoric; reign has the right idea though. For me, the game doesn't start until I have AE2 storage and maybe some basic crafting automation because I like making minimalist, hidden infrastructure. I also really enjoy having Thaumic Energistics, as a side note. There are other options, so just use them instead of complaining that you feel 'forced' to use AE2 because it's in the pack. And like Mesk you can also use it for as much or as little as you want.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Black Pants posted:

I mean, you don't need to use it if you don't like it.

I don't like it, so I don't use it! That's in fact exactly what I said. I don't use it. Because after using it I found that I didn't like it.

However, if I don't like it, there's no point in seeking it out in packs and it's not uncommon for packs to have limited mods for memory and loading concerns; Blightfall was a ton of fun, but it did not have Enhanced Inventories or Storage Drawers or a number of other lightweight but useful storage mods, which I would consider big parts of replacing it.

As a result, I wouldn't play most packs with AE2, myself, because it's very likely they wouldn't have the other mods I want to see to handle storage, and it's also very possible that they might gate things behind AE2 and AE2 equipment as part of their design (for example, using AE2 processors made in AE2 imprinters which are a GIGANTIC pain in the rear end if you do not use AE2 equipment to automate them.)

Thankfully Minecraft is not a single world MMO; there's lots of packs out there with AE2, and some that don't have it, too. Even some that have plenty of both and eat memory like it's cookies. Everyone can be happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ha, i dont use most of it because i dont know what most of it does. (I hate having to open a wiki or something to figure out what a block does, and then an insufferable youtube video on how to get it to do what it is meant to be doing).

But most packs ive played always seem to have more than AE2. Most seem to point to that as endgame storage, with jabba and better chests and storage draws all in there.
My bases become sprawling masses of poorly thought-out rats nests, so AE2 storage becomes heavenly (and open blocks, i dont know how i can live without the elevator block to get in and out of my bases anymore. I really should actually read that book and see what the other blocks do...)

But i can see where you are coming from. It's like tinkers, simple once you've done it once or twice, and with replaceable parts you can have the same tools you started the game with. So pretty powerful.

To this day i still havent built a turbine with big reactors. Inthe game in taking a break from ive got about 60 of the 80 cyinate ro whatever ill need for the blades, but it will be a first for me to do.

What needed to be set in stone though it
mobgriefing false
keepInventory true

Unless the pack is carefully crafted creepers blowing stuff up and losing your gear 3000+ blocks from bases is the 'stuff this pack' button. (oh and ic2 lol)