Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

This is the situation where they are good in water:

https://youtu.be/wV2CF2WWGFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
I bought a big jar of M&S own-brand Rollmops for lunch today. White sourdough bread, butter, black pepper and pickled onions to garnish. Excellent lunch will enjoy again soon

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
got a variety pack of Matiz sardines

Spanish Olive Oil
Lemon Essence (in sunflower oil)
Piri Piri pepper
Sweet Paquillo pepper

I've only tried the spanish olive oil ones so far and they are good - firm, meaty, big bones. The olive oil King Oscar uses still reigns supreme imo

Anyone try any Matiz cockles?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If anyone is in Toronto, preferably west end, and knows where they sell KO dines, I would deeply appreciate a tip.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah Matiz fan here. Cockles are ok but I feel best belong in pasta or chowder.

Give them a go and let us know what you think.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Subjunctive posted:

If anyone is in Toronto, preferably west end, and knows where they sell KO dines, I would deeply appreciate a tip.

Not sure if distribution has changed to where you can get KO there, but in Canada you'll want to look for Clover Leaf, King Oscar supplies their dines

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brolander posted:

Not sure if distribution has changed to where you can get KO there, but in Canada you'll want to look for Clover Leaf, King Oscar supplies their dines

Oh, I have a bunch of those in the cupboard! Thanks, I can stop chasing my tiny, delicious white whales.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Canada has polar , some the polar is off label Riga Gold. Look for the smoked ones in a round glass container.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can get Riga at the fish market near me, happily.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Canada has polar , some the polar is off label Riga Gold. Look for the smoked ones in a round glass container.

as does walmart. really blew my mind that after a few years pining for sprats and eastern european grocery stores the object of my fishly desires as right there, at walmart

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My local Walmart has a surprisingly good tinned fish and pickle selection. I found some spicy pickled quail eggs that were awesome

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

My local Walmart has spicy pickled quail eggs that were awesome

wut
seems a little crazy
jarred?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I, too, have bought the pickled quail eggs at Walmart and they were tasty enough to inspire me to start pickling my own eggs at home.

e: these, specifically: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cajun-Classics-7-Farms-Pickled-Jalapeno-Quail-Eggs/326841556

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Them's the ones. Also there a ton of picked jalapeños in there for sandwiches after

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

PICKUP NOT AVAILABLE!?!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my latest prize package from King Oscar today, for last year's haiku contest! I got another red T-shirt (their T-shirts are SO SOFT), my third plastic lid for an open can, a little wooden 'dine fork, a sticker, two discount coupons, two coupons for free cans (unfortunately can't be used for the yellowfin tuna, which I haven't tried yet), and the coolest KO swag so far:

A deck of King Oscar playing cards!

I have at least four shirts from them (two gray, two red), two aprons (one black, one red), and a red hat that my wife hates, because she associates all red hats with very bad things.

I am going to San Diego for work the first week of January, and I am planning to walk to a Ralph's near my hotel. I love visiting grocery stores in other states to see what they have that we don't have here in FL. I will bring the coupons to see if Californians get KO products and other tinned seafood our local stores don't carry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 23, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I got my latest prize package from King Oscar today, for last year's haiku contest! I got another red T-shirt (their T-shirts are SO SOFT), my third plastic lid for an open can, a little wooden 'dine fork, a sticker, two discount coupons, two coupons for free cans (unfortunately can't be used for the yellowfin tuna, which I haven't tried yet), and the coolest KO swag so far:

I have at least four shirts from them (two gray, two red), two aprons (one black, one red), and a red hat that my wife hates, because she associates all red hats with very bad things.

I am going to San Diego for work the first week of January, and I am planning to walk to a Ralph's near my hotel. I love visiting grocery stores in other states to see what they have that we don't have here in FL. I will bring the coupons to see if Californians get KO products and other tinned seafood our local stores don't carry.

wtf thats some good swag. i "just" got some free cans of fish which is pretty good for a facebook post worth of work

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

wtf thats some good swag. i "just" got some free cans of fish which is pretty good for a facebook post worth of work

Coupons for free cans, or they sent you the special limited-edition aged 'dine cans?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hell yah, I'm also in the "got 4 coupons" pack. You must be a haiku master my dude.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yooper posted:

Hell yah, I'm also in the "got 4 coupons" pack. You must be a haiku master my dude.

Just prolific. I think I submitted about a dozen last year and the same the year before.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
is it a facebook only thing?

also holy moly the Matiz lemon essence in sunflower oil sardines are delightful. much better lemon flavor than the lemon Belas I've had

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Coupons for free cans, or they sent you the special limited-edition aged 'dine cans?

Just coupons this time but I did get the aged cans and a lid a few years back

Just prolific. I think I submitted about a dozen last year and the same the year before.

lol I just do 1

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

isaboo posted:

It is, to my greatest chagrin

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

isaboo posted:

also holy moly the Matiz lemon essence in sunflower oil sardines are delightful. much better lemon flavor than the lemon Belas I've had

matiz over bela is controversial to me but lemon is a good wild card

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man it is so nice to be able to just grab a can of delicious fishies and crack it open and wolf it over the sink—or toss them in a bowl with some diced onion and a squeeze of lemon—or fork them onto a cracker with a dash of hot sauce—or no doubt a bunch of other easy preparations…

…and have a delightful, high-protein, mostly nutritious snack. I don’t have a point beyond wanting to sing some praises. I might have some now to see how they pair with a beer. God bless the ‘dines.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Made some sardine chowder, it was good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Subjunctive posted:

Man it is so nice to be able to just grab a can of delicious fishies and crack it open and wolf it over the sink—or toss them in a bowl with some diced onion and a squeeze of lemon—or fork them onto a cracker with a dash of hot sauce—or no doubt a bunch of other easy preparations…

…and have a delightful, high-protein, mostly nutritious snack. I don’t have a point beyond wanting to sing some praises. I might have some now to see how they pair with a beer. God bless the ‘dines.

it is truly one of the joys of being alive

naem
May 29, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

oh they pair

they pair hard

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Lately I've been having oatmeal topped with sardines for breakfast. It's better than it sounds.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
for those looking for a nice kick to top a dine on a cracker I highly recommend looking for a scotch bonnet sauce :cheersdoge:

naem
May 29, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Lately I've been having oatmeal topped with sardines for breakfast. It's better than it sounds.

really??

oats and peanut butter is good but fish??

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Savory oats are great.

There are even curry oats. Straight up Quaker curry oat packs too.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast - unless I have fisherman's eggs

I eat sardines every day for lunch

I'm definitely going to try the fishies in the oaties

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Illegal Hen
Fishes & oats sound good.

Fishes & kasha is great.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even if you're alone like me, the holiday spirit is in you. Give something, even if it's one tin of food.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Illegal Hen

There are these Asian fried onions that are :discourse: as a topping.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that im trying hong phat here i come

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bartender friend knows I like sardines so she gave me sardine flavored candy canes

Do not recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

theres fish in my stocking like pete martells percolator