Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mercury Crusader posted:

The Switch will have something for everyone. Good games like Mario and Splatoon, and buggy games like Skyrim.

i will get mario, and zelda, animal crossing pokemon. and advance wars + fire emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
They seem to be pretty up front that this is a home console first and foremost. I don't see them having games that have features that work in only one of the two modes :shrug:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

They seem to be pretty up front that this is a home console first and foremost. I don't see them having games that have features that work in only one of the two modes :shrug:

again, though, you have to remember they're just trying to be extremely clear about what this device is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Soul Glo posted:

Having one game that requires you to undock the screen is not some bizarre outlier chance.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I figure that there will be some games that are undocked-only, but not huge stuff like a new Pokemon or something, just cheap little gimmick games and ports of the games that are done with DeNA.

"Please Undock the Switch to use the Level Editor" seems fairly simple for Mario Maker, and I don't see how they wouldn't put Super Mario Run in as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's no reason you couldn't actually use the d pad and buttons for Mario making if you want to leave it docked. Would be a little more time consuming but also a little more precise when it comes to placement.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mario maker was kinda bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

mario maker was kinda bad

good thing it got reworked into super mario maker

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

greatn posted:

There's no reason you couldn't actually use the d pad and buttons for Mario making if you want to leave it docked. Would be a little more time consuming but also a little more precise when it comes to placement.

Yeah, there's actually very little that a touch screen can do that buttons can't.

-Drawing
-??
-
-?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Navigation gestures I guess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does the screen have a stylus tho?

That would be a good indicator of potential touch tech

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Infinitum posted:

Does the screen have a stylus tho?

That would be a good indicator of potential touch tech

That screen would be capacitive. No stylus needed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

poo poo, you're right.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

greatn posted:

Navigation gestures I guess.

i have confidence that someday they will figure out a way to navigate a menu UI with buttons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arcanen posted:

Extremely curious about backwards compatability. If there's no Wii-U backwards compatability, I might go ahead and finally buy one when that's announced since they'll be dirt cheap despite actually having a number of solid AAA games.

the wii u 's price has been very stubborn about going down heretofore

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

oddium posted:

i will get mario, and zelda, animal crossing pokemon. and advance wars + fire emblem

advance wars is dead and we both know it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

serious war but with anime kids is usually a great subgenre and i hope valkyria chonicles remastered earlier this year did ok enough to remind japan of that.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Picture this: Animal Crossing, but the villagers are Pokemon. It's be gangbusters.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Reiley posted:

Picture this: Animal Crossing, but the villagers are Pokemon. It's be gangbusters.

#FE and Hyrule Warriors were just prototypes. With the power of the Nintendo Switch, we can finally make a crossover about any two series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

#FE and Hyrule Warriors were just prototypes. With the power of the Nintendo Switch, we can finally make a crossover about any two series.

Looking forward to the Kirby/Hatred crossover

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Soul Glo posted:

Their portable console is still alive and they don't want to ruin the holiday sales

There are a number of other credible reasons why they focus on home gaming but it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The only thing that can ruin my enthusiasm is no Skies of Arcadia 2 announcement before March

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Rare are filthy mudblood traitors, which is why we will never see Blast Corps 2

I hope you enjoyed all those Nintendo games in the Replay bundle Microsoft :argh:
For years I've been saying to bring back the Wrecking Crew name as a Blast Corps type game. And make to a Wario Bros. game.

BreakAtmo posted:

Ehhh, I don't know. The vast majority of games will obviously work that way - it's called the Switch for a reason - but Mario Maker feels to me like the rare exception, where they'll just say that the touchscreen is too integral to the level building process. Not to actually playing the levels, though.
Switching quickly to play testing was big for level building, but yeah for purely playing it's not a big deal. There's also building with other people around providing input...or building/iterating quickly and loving with them.

I just want wireless streaming in the dock for a sequel to the asymmetric play Nintendo Land games :colbert:

DalaranJ posted:

How could you forget Pokemon Conquest!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Soul Glo posted:

Looking forward to the Kirby/Hatred crossover
Devil World + Muscle March.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
got my switch from the dark future of 2017, any questions

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
how sensitive is the touch screen

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kurtofan posted:

got my switch from the dark future of 2017, any questions

Can I play as Diddy Kong in Mario Kart 9?

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
If the joycons or new pro controller have motion features, Mario Maker would be the same. But without that, or touch controls, it would be weird. Level building would be as annoying as it is to type on an onscreen keyboard using only a D-pad or joystick. Moving one increment at a time is painful.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

in the advertisment, all the players at the splatoon esport match dock their switch before they start playing. wouldnt a professional splatoon player want to use the motion control aiming?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oddium posted:

:yeah:

Unless they're making Fire Emblem mobile now, which I would be ok with

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

DalaranJ posted:

Pokémario. F-Zero Escape. Game & Watch_Dogs

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

how sensitive is the touch screen

Just don't mention its weight and you're good

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HyperPuma posted:

in the advertisment, all the players at the splatoon esport match dock their switch before they start playing. wouldnt a professional splatoon player want to use the motion control aiming?
The pro controller has motion control :ssh:

Probably. Maybe. :iiam:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

:yeah:

Unless they're making Fire Emblem mobile now, which I would be ok with

They are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the idea of turning the screen vertically to play 3ds games but i don't know if they'd do it.

HyperPuma posted:

pro controller gyro aiming confirmed?

coffeecup posted:

If the joycons or new pro controller have motion features, Mario Maker would be the same. But without that, or touch controls, it would be weird. Level building would be as annoying as it is to type on an onscreen keyboard using only a D-pad or joystick. Moving one increment at a time is painful.

a level editor app for the touch screen is possible. also i bet nintendo could make it work fine with controller only input. they are usually great at ui

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I wonder if analog triggers are in the mix this time.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

japtor posted:

The pro controller has motion control :ssh:

Probably. Maybe. :iiam:

i heard the pro controller has an additional processor to help with game performance when youre playing on the tv

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Real hurthling! posted:

let us pray

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

I wonder if analog triggers are in the mix this time.

same. it would be nice to have an accelerator for vehicles if there's gonna be 3rd party stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Real hurthling! posted:

i like the idea of turning the screen vertically to play 3ds games but i don't know if they'd do it.

a level editor app for the touch screen is possible. also i bet nintendo could make it work fine with controller only input. they are usually great at ui

Nothing will be confirmed. Ever.

Preorder now.

I'm probably going to have to go somewhere that's not amazon, ughhh.

• Locked thread