Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i like how you know the guy in the alley is Evil because he briefly mentions weed before the main bro douche kicks his rear end for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I need to re-watch Atlantic Rim because I kept slipping into a turkey-and-wine-induced coma, but one bit I liked was when a character says, "The President would never authorize a strike against the United States" (or something like that) and Jonah just says, "Ehhh."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i like how you know the guy in the alley is Evil because he briefly mentions weed before the main bro douche kicks his rear end for no reason

Also maybe they kill him? Because there's a line from the girl about how he's not breathing but then they just leave him.

Another thing about the movie is that the main character is definitely piloting the mech drunk for the very first and very last fight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Another thing about the movie is that the main character is definitely piloting the mech drunk for the very first and very last fight.
Well, he was clearly drunk the entire movie, so yeah.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, you can ask the actor come in sober, or you can be creative.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Listen, these people knew they were doing an Asylum movie. You think they're coming in sober?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Atlantic Rim was dismal even by Asylum standards. Then again I've only seen Sharknado and that almost felt like an actual movie, albeit a very stupid one.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

spreading bull butter all over my horn as we speak

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Atlantic Rim was dismal even by Asylum standards. Then again I've only seen Sharknado and that almost felt like an actual movie, albeit a very stupid one.

As you can tell by how hard they rode it, Sharknado was them trying to lean into their rep and taking a shot at actually having a brand beyond 'lovely ripoffs intended to trick gullible grandmas at the DVD store'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

As you can tell by how hard they rode it, Sharknado was them trying to lean into their rep and taking a shot at actually having a brand beyond 'lovely ripoffs intended to trick gullible grandmas at the DVD store'

Aren't they more or less funded by SyFy now?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Best part of Lords of the Deep: the second unit director of photography did the cinematography for Steven Speilberg's movies.

If I understand correctly, he was fired from Lords of the Deep for shooting footage that was too good.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mac and Me stinger is now tied with Rocket Attack USA as best stinger of all time

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm so glad I didn't have the supermarket scene spoiled for me. I knew about the infamous McDonald's dance party going in, and I genuinely didn't expect there to be anything in the film that surpassed it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Best part of Lords of the Deep: the second unit director of photography did the cinematography for Steven Speilberg's movies.

Oh, wow, that dude can list among his credits Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Lords of the Deep and Cool As Ice. What a varied resume.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

I'm so glad I didn't have the supermarket scene spoiled for me. I knew about the infamous McDonald's dance party going in, and I genuinely didn't expect there to be anything in the film that surpassed it.

:same:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Rollersnake posted:

I had recently watched this movie in full, less than a year ago, and I seemed to have forgotten everything about it!

Holy cow, Jonah's exasperation at a lack of heartfelt speech had me on the floor. It just wouldn't stop, my friends and I had to rewind and it was just as good the second time around.

Oh and Pirhana Crow, best Crow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EatinCake posted:

I've never attended a liver show... is it awkward in person? The live recordings seem really... kinda odd with them reading off a script showing a movie to you. Maybe it's just setting, but it feels harder to get into.

At least during the two most recent MST3K, the riffers improvise a little and definitely respond to the audience, and the host segments in between have some fun little audience participation moments. It has a really different feel. The Eegah! one from last year in particular might be my favorite thing this new cast has done (except that Baron couldn't make it :( ) It somehow feels even less rehearsed than old MST3K (even though it is obviously scripted), because you can hear people flub their lines, break out in actual laughter, make mistakes with the puppets, etc. Hampton in particular just seemed to really enjoy the vibe of a live crowd, and Crow was written to be kind of energetic and enjoying himself, so it really worked for him.

For those who feel the new show feels a little too produced and artificial, definitely see the life show if they do it again and it tours in your area. The only thing is that it's obviously exhausting and I wouldn't be surprised if they either stop doing it soon or the quality dives. Last year's at least had pre-recorded material from Felicia Day and Patton Oswald, and the only one of the main performers missing was Baron (he'd just had a kid). The most recent tour, the only members of the main cast to come along were Jonah and Rebecca (although Joel riffing helped fill some of the gaps). Jonah is seemingly inexhaustible and Rebecca lives for the stage, and the two of them seem a bit more "all-in" for the show, but they may be the only ones who can do it on any kind of regular basis.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow, that dude can list among his credits Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Lords of the Deep and Cool As Ice. What a varied resume.

Everybody's surprised that Janusz Kaminski shot Cool As Ice until they watch the movie. I'll argue to my grave that the music video that plays under the opening credits is gorgeous...which is easy to lose sight of since Vanilla loving Ice is rapping over it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Made it to Lords of the Deep tonight, I actually think this one is the best of the first 3 so far. Maybe not an all-time classic, but consistently solid on the riffs and it felt a lot like the old show.

I could be influenced by the fact my wife was able to stay awake the whole time and was laughing with me; it's always better to watch it with someone else who's also into it. But the movie itself felt more MST3K appropriate, which could be a reaction to Atlantic Rim. I appreciate the effort on that one, but it was harder to watch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think I would have liked Lords of the Deep more if I didn't watch it right after Atlantic Rim.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We were visiting family last night, so we got a 2-day break in between. Usually we do just one a night, we're not good bingers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DivisionPost posted:

Everybody's surprised that Janusz Kaminski shot Cool As Ice until they watch the movie. I'll argue to my grave that the music video that plays under the opening credits is gorgeous...which is easy to lose sight of since Vanilla loving Ice is rapping over it.

Now, now. Let's not have a roni.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

that thing's all over him

tearing him up

especially his rear end

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/b1m1smS.mp4

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah i'm gonna admit i liked the atlantic rim ep way more than i thought i would

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Let's see, for order I'd go with

Mac and Me
Ator
The Day Time Ended
Lords of the Deep
Killer Fish
Atlantic Rim

Like most folks here, I thought Atlantic Rim was a weak movie and I can only assume it was included as an obligation, since leaving Asylum out of a knock-off lineup would get them too many comments about missing such an obvious grab. On the other hand, I think I enjoyed the psychedelic randomness of The Day Time Ended more than most folks. It wasn't just the song, it was the anticipation that comes from not knowing which random idea they'll throw on the screen next.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

drat that scene got me. It was just not what I was expecting him to do with the hammer.

When The Day Time Ended ended, I wanted to start throwing things. I feel like that movie didn't end, we still need to find the ending.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

mac and me
the day time ended
killer fish
lords of the deep
atlantic rim
ator

sword and sorcery doesn't do it for me

the actress explaining the aliens tech and motivation and poo poo at the end of "the day time ended" wasn't good enough to show any sense of real wonder, she just sounds like a manic, weirdly vacant cultist

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 26, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mac and Me, Ator, Atlantic Rim, Killer Fish, The Day Time Ended, Lords of the Deep for me. Though that order might change on rewatch (Lords in particular, since I was also cooking then and that might be why it doesn't stick with me as much).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

On the other hand, I think I enjoyed the psychedelic randomness of The Day Time Ended more than most folks. It wasn't just the song, it was the anticipation that comes from not knowing which random idea they'll throw on the screen next.

That's why I ranked TDTE as my number 2. It was just so nonsensical and random it seemed like it freed up the crew to go anywhere they wanted with the riffs.

And even though it wasn't, it really felt like a pilot episode for a planned series that would explore the Future City and maybe explain some of what the poo poo was going on with that Lovcraftian Mini-Monolith

Bad Ideas Good
Oct 12, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

mac and me
the day time ended
killer fish
lords of the deep
atlantic rim
ator

sword and sorcery doesn't do it for me

the actress explaining the aliens tech and motivation and poo poo at the end of "the day time ended" wasn't good enough to show any sense of real wonder, she just sounds like a manic, weirdly vacant cultist

This is pretty much my list, just swap Killer Fish and Lords of the Deep. I just tend to prefer weirder movies for MST3k in general and I think this crew in particular bounces off of them really well.

Also I had to stop TDTE midway through and got back to it the next day, so the time discrepancy ended up being an actual time discrepancy for me.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Almost through Lords of the Deep. Enjoying it well enough.

I have to echo the complaints that the modulation of the riffs is still too frenetic, though Lords already feels a little more laid back.

Am I just an old misanthrope, or are the riffs kinda toothless? I'm wondering if there's a netflix mandate not to be too mean to any actors/directors/studios that they could possibly work with? Like, I feel like the sci-fi era crew would have shredded Atlantic Rim. Or if the revival crew did Mitchell, it wouldn't be nearly as hard on Joe Don Baker.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wow, I'm an idiot

I just had a decade long :downs: moment when I realized the "Joke By Ignmar Bergman" was a pun. "When you run out of slits (Schlitz)... you are out of pier (beer)"

<Extremely Rich Evans Voice> Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaad. I never got that either.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

Am I just an old misanthrope, or are the riffs kinda toothless? I'm wondering if there's a netflix mandate not to be too mean to any actors/directors/studios that they could possibly work with? Like, I feel like the sci-fi era crew would have shredded Atlantic Rim. Or if the revival crew did Mitchell, it wouldn't be nearly as hard on Joe Don Baker.

mst3k definitely got meaner in the mike years, which may or may not be a good thing, but i think in 2018 there's definitely a lack of content which is critical of other content but not mean or spiteful about it so i dont mind softer edged riffing

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, my favorite riffs were always the ones where they have fun with the goofy stuff in the movies. Riffs that are just "this is bad" are kind of dull; I can see that it's bad for myself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I enjoy both styles, but Mike & Co. just tearing into actors and movies generally gets a bigger laugh from me. And it’s not like Joel’s crew was entirely toothless; Trace’s Crow could be pretty brutal at times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joel didn't tend to target specific people but entire attitudes and ideas.

Any time 1950s bullshit came up, he was on that like cheese on crackers. Attack Of The The Eye Eye Creatures had him mostly disgusted and annoyed with the bullshit on screen

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

There hasn't been a film that the new crew has sounded angry at.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The seething contempt they would work up during the SciFi Channel seasons worked better at the time because getting angry at a movie was still something of a novelty. But now there's at least 600,000 dorks on YouTube screaming into the camera about how whatever movie was "an unmitigated execrable cinematic abortion-fail of Brobdingnagian proportions" or what have you. I'm cool with the Netflix era being a little kinder and gentler overall.

My S12 ranks:
Lords of the Deep
Mac & Me
Atlantic Rim
The Day Time Ended
Killer Fish
Ator

I don't know what it was about Lords of the Deep, everything about that one hit me in the right way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The ending to the film Killer Fish is really hosed up when you think about it:

It's revealed that Lasky and Gabrielle have been in cahoots the whole time, which means the photo crew they hired, were probably oblivious to what they were really there for, died just to steal some diamonds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I had to pause Killer Fish for a minute because I was laughing too hard at the two male leads fighting and Crow going "God really knew what he was doing when he didn't give human males antlers".