Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Alpine Mustache posted:

how are you supposed to survive wind slash? i have wall and proshellga up and can usually have time to hit him with full break, but it still does 7000+ damage to eiko and usually one-shots quina too.
i also tried wind resist accessories but it doesn't seem to be wind element.

Mitigation and wind resistance accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I hate Echo and her frail tiny butt, but I have no other choices for babysitter without wasting EXP today...

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Is there any disadvantage to using roaming warriors at all, like less exp, gold, finite uses etc?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You can only use a RW twice per dungeon and can only select a particular player's RW to use in a dungeon once per day. That's it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Doing Mythril/Gem healings also recharges your RW uses!*

*If you're that reliant on an RW to finish a dungeon you should probably reconsider doing the dungeon at all. Although I don't want to say it's never worth it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CmdrKing posted:

Doing Mythril/Gem healings also recharges your RW uses!*

*If you're that reliant on an RW to finish a dungeon you should probably reconsider doing the dungeon at all. Although I don't want to say it's never worth it.

Not everyone has the native shout/wall/bsb medica trinity.

RWing one and bringing the other two seems pretty reasonable for hard content.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Not everyone has the native shout/wall/bsb medica trinity.

RWing one and bringing the other two seems pretty reasonable for hard content.

Right, his point was that if you need an RW to get through the first two trash stages, then to spend a mythril to have the RW again for the boss, maybe reconsider your trash strategy or get stronger.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CaptainPsyko posted:

Right, his point was that if you need an RW to get through the first two trash stages, then to spend a mythril to have the RW again for the boss, maybe reconsider your trash strategy or get stronger.

Gotcha. I had conflated dungeon with any sort of fight/mission/whatever they are called.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I pulled on FFX Banner 2 hoping for a physical BSB because while I have a decent set of mage relics my physical leaves something to be desired.

1/11 - Leap & Rush :emo:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah, much as I'd love a shot at stuff for Rikku I just can't risk the garbage on the banner. Certainly not with TG Cid around the corner.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

LornMarkus posted:

Yeah, much as I'd love a shot at stuff for Rikku I just can't risk the garbage on the banner. Certainly not with TG Cid around the corner.

Same. I'm rather weak on X synergy overall but man these banners are terrible.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, I think the only rare situation something like this might be worth it would be like if you were a really new player and you needed to finish the hardest difficulty orbfest stages in order to get major orbs for completion that you would otherwise miss out on.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dollar pull chaos rod.

On one hand, dollar 5*!

On the other, it's my third goddamn Yuna relic when I really wanted a Lulu or Rikku relic.

On a third mutant hand it's my best Yuna relic, since HP stack sounds pretty cool and Hymn just doesn't heal enough up front these days.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

Dollar pull chaos rod.

On one hand, dollar 5*!

On the other, it's my third goddamn Yuna relic when I really wanted a Lulu or Rikku relic.

On a third mutant hand it's my best Yuna relic, since HP stack sounds pretty cool and Hymn just doesn't heal enough up front these days.

HP stock is kind of like a higher intensity, but lower overall power regen effect; it won't heal as much over time, but it'll heal much more at a shot when it 'ticks' and it won't tick until it actually provides a benefit. It's good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

CaptainPsyko posted:

HP stock is kind of like a higher intensity, but lower overall power regen effect; it won't heal as much over time, but it'll heal much more at a shot when it 'ticks' and it won't tick until it actually provides a benefit. It's good.
Isn't hymn curaga level medica while the chaos rod SSB is a curaja-level?

Where can I easily look up potencies for SBs?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Pander posted:

Cura vs. Curaga potency I think. As far as I know, no healing soulbreak thus far has gone above curaga potency (at least for the AOE heal part)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Cura vs. Curaga potency I think. As far as I know, no healing soulbreak thus far has gone above curaga potency (at least for the AOE heal part)

Ah yes. My point was generally that the chaos rod heals a lot more up front than hymn does, and HP stock is a viable replacement to heavy regen (especially since I have like a dozen other sources of heavy regenga)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

flowinprose posted:

There's Tyro's Healing Grimoire but it costs 2 SB gauges and is therefore useless.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Nothing more obnoxious than another player with a healer constantly spamming "Uh-oh" at me because I dared to have Y'shtola do stuff besides mindlessly spamming Medica after firing off my burst. :jerkbag:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Nthing the "I want something for Rikku but this banner is trash" sentiment.

The last time I got a 5* from the dollar pull was Barret's bracers from the FF7 event. Am I being impatient or is my luck horrible.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Adel posted:

Nthing the "I want something for Rikku but this banner is trash" sentiment.

The last time I got a 5* from the dollar pull was Barret's bracers from the FF7 event. Am I being impatient or is my luck horrible.

It's like a 14% chance to get a 5* off a dollar pull so it wouldn't really be that extraordinarily unlucky to go a couple months without getting one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

flowinprose posted:

Healing Grimoire is Curaja potency.

It's also the worst healing SB in existence because it eats 2 gauge and is on Tyro, whose stats aren't great.

e:f;b

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Really wish this incarnation of Sanctuary Keeper sported a weakness. It's just a slog trying to cut through him while he sprays status effects all over my team. Is it really worth two Major Powers for the CM? I'm going with no.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well, done with the event and MP already, I'd attempt the CMs if I had synergy but really I don't feel like slogging through the fights again. Tidus was fairly easy with Cid Raines (like everything tends to be lately) and Leon's BSB.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Healing Grimoire is Curaja potency.

It's also the worst healing SB in existence because it eats 2 gauge and is on Tyro, whose stats aren't great.

e:f;b

If they dropped it to 1 gauge, would healing grimoire suddenly be pretty solid? Lord knows sometimes I wish the celebration grimoire was stronger.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Pander posted:

If they dropped it to 1 gauge, would healing grimoire suddenly be pretty solid? Lord knows sometimes I wish the celebration grimoire was stronger.
It would be fine. We generally expect more from medicas than just healing, but curaja level healing on everyone on a character who gets synergy in every nightmare is pretty good.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
So how do imperils work against resists/absorbs? And dual elements for that matter. My game plan so far has been beatrix making things weak to holy while minfilia and raines go all bursty, but I guess yunalesca absorbs that? I don't really know what I'd do for damage if raines is off the table, that guy is nuts.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Apocalypse Ultima Weapon killed my team's Cid Raines with its first two attacks (he didn't even get his first turn off), but we still took him out. I brought a Faris with her burst and Mug Bloodlust, someone else had an Agrias with Cleansing Strike, and he topped out at about 1300 damage per Ultima. We didn't even have Wall (which I gathered from the boss description wouldn't have helped much) or Shellga.

edit: I seem to remember, when they first implemented the mechanic, that there's a sliding scale with absorb at the top and severe weakness at the bottom, and imperil just moves you one or two spots down the scale.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 23, 2017

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

way to go steve posted:

So how do imperils work against resists/absorbs? And dual elements for that matter. My game plan so far has been beatrix making things weak to holy while minfilia and raines go all bursty, but I guess yunalesca absorbs that? I don't really know what I'd do for damage if raines is off the table, that guy is nuts.

Imperil does not negate absorbs, I know that much.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

way to go steve posted:

I'm at work so I can't look up the stats on this, but from what I recall, resist means they have a 50% damage reduction from that element. My understanding is that an imperil would grant a 25% increase in damage, which would make them take more damage than they would have otherwise, but they will still be marked as "resistant" when you hit them (a 25% reduction from normal damage). Against an absorb it wouldn't be very helpful. At best I think it would make them null that element, and at worst it would only decreased the percentage of the attack they absorb.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

Yup. Exactly. I was just pointing out that HP Stock fills a lot of the same role as the high regen on Hymn - they work differently, but they serve the same purpose of keeping party members topped off through small hits after the medica lands so you can stay caught up on healing.

Enlir's spreadsheet or The PDF Compilation for all your potency needs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

way to go steve posted:

Elemental damage ranges from -100% to 200%. Default is 100%, normal Resist is 50%, heavy Resist (just introduced in Japan) is 20%, Null is 0%, Absorb is -100%, partial Weak (Torments, etc) is 150%, and fully Weak is 200%. Imperil simply adds 20 to the existing number, to a maximum of 200%. It changes Absorb from -100% to -80%, which is completely useless; Null is changed to heavy Resist (20% of base damage), normal Resist is changed to 70% of base damage, etc.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 23, 2017

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Alright, so how does that work with dual elements? Raines is all holy/dark. Would that end up as an absorb, or would it still do damage as dark?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it'll use the most damaging element of the two

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Cool, attacker's advantage. Can probably get away with only one sub then. Thanks a bunch!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh sweet, a good dollar pull. I'm not going for torment CM right now, but this'll be useful regardless. No native character medica in FFX before.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

way to go steve posted:

Alright, so how does that work with dual elements? Raines is all holy/dark. Would that end up as an absorb, or would it still do damage as dark?

How it's supposed to work is it'll always use the most damaging option, so like if your Raines is wearing holy boost equipment and the enemy is neutral to both it should use the boosted Holy. This is good to pay attention to if you're using something like Meltdown which has 3 elements you can boost independently, if you have like one fire boost and one wind boost they kinda compete with each other

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Got that hooker glove for a buck! The luck continues.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Elemental damage ranges from -100% to 200%. Default is 100%, normal Resist is 50%, heavy Resist (just introduced in Japan) is 20%, Null is 0%, Absorb is -100%, partial Weak (Torments, etc) is 150%, and fully Weak is 200%. Imperil simply adds 20 to the existing number, to a maximum of 200%. It changes Absorb from -100% to -80%, which is completely useless; Null is changed to heavy Resist (20% of base damage), normal Resist is changed to 70% of base damage, etc.

I imagine that if we ever get some sort of boss that heals itself by casting an element that it absorbs (like a Doomsday-esque attack), Imperil might have some merit in reducing the potency of its heals by 20%.

Also, it's possible to still get a disadvantaged element to be preferred with enough boosting. Having an Enelement and a +element piece of equipment raises that bonus to 170%, which gets reduced by resistance to 120%, so it's still picked. Not sure how LCSSBs interact with it yet, but theoratically it should be possible to get at least 200% damage with an element (+40% from equipment, +50% from Enelement, +30% from RM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Having an Enelement and a +element piece of equipment raises that bonus to 170%, which gets reduced by resistance to 120%, so it's still picked.

That's not how the math works. 170%/2 = 85%. You can still get resisted elements to be the chosen ones but it's a little harder than that. You usually only see it when casting elemental SBs under en-element while wearing element boosting gear.

• Locked thread