Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played a 360 and a PS4 through the bone, it worked just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
It added enough lag when I tried it with my switch that I found it unplayable, and I’m not usually especially sensitive to that sort of thing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

chglcu posted:

It added enough lag when I tried it with my switch that I found it unplayable, and I’m not usually especially sensitive to that sort of thing.

Same, although this was a laptop passed through a fat OG Xbone, so things might have gotten better since. But the lag was noticeable back then, at least.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Zat posted:

Same, although this was a laptop passed through a fat OG Xbone, so things might have gotten better since. But the lag was noticeable back then, at least.

I would be surprised if they bothered, since they completely pivoted away from the reason it has pass-through capability in the first place.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

runchild posted:

I would be surprised if they bothered, since they completely pivoted away from the reason it has pass-through capability in the first place.

I'm honestly surprised the S and X have it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

American McGay posted:

Hey I fixed it. Not that anyone else would ever want to do this, but the solution was to change the SOUND output on the Switch from Surround to Stereo. Apparently the XONE HDMI passthrough doesn't work well with 5.1.

univbee probably knows the HDMI spec, but I think this could be a function of your cable? If you have a cable spec'd for lower bandwidth it might not be able to handle the larger audio stream, but I'm not 100% sure that's a thing, but I have had issues with lovely cables not being able to do 1080p or 4k and only managing to handle 720p.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

univbee probably knows the HDMI spec, but I think this could be a function of your cable? If you have a cable spec'd for lower bandwidth it might not be able to handle the larger audio stream, but I'm not 100% sure that's a thing, but I have had issues with lovely cables not being able to do 1080p or 4k and only managing to handle 720p.

It's more that things get kind of funky with surround sound because that's a compressed stream that's not really a signal that's designed to be "tapped" in a way that you can output other sounds (like the Bone UI noises) with it. With stereo you're generally working with raw PCM sound and layering stuff on that is easy. IIRC depending on the nuances of how your cable box outputs its sound, some people have had to punt it down to stereo for passthrough to work as well.

Passthrough can fail in a variety of weird ways, during the world cup I think because of some extra copy protection layer or something it couldn't do the HDCP handshake correctly "through" the Xbox to my TV, so I had to stop using passthrough for that.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 25, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I assume it's because the 360 and PS4 can encode surround sound over two channels while the Switch has to take up eight to send 6-channel PCM. This wouldn't be a problem with a hardware passthrough, but since it was meant to be used with set-top boxes with the OneGuide added on top, support for different ways to divide the signal might be limited.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, "surround" prior to Jurassic Park's release* generally meant a 4.0 sound setup (Left, Center, Right, Surround) that was encoded on a standard 2.0 recording, with the center just being L+R and the surround being L-R. (this L-R fuckery would screw things up for mono setups, and up until I think the 90s products were still being put out that were touted as "mono compatible" because of this) Dolby Digital and DTS started a trend because that sound was actually compressed like an MP3 so you couldn't tamper with it with quite the same flexibility as you could with a raw PCM feed because the decode/edit/reencode chain isn't instantaneous and a DD/DTS feed needs time to activate.

* - A few avant-garde things did proprietary weird poo poo for specific screenings, JP was just the first movie to have a standardized 5.1 signal (DTS in that case).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

univbee posted:

JP was just the first movie to have a standardized 5.1 signal (DTS in that case).

TIL

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I thought it was Twister, wasn’t that the first digital Dolby?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beastie posted:

I thought it was Twister, wasn’t that the first digital Dolby?

It might've been, but as univbee noted, JP was 5.1 DTS, not Dolby Digital.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think this discussion is conflating home releases with theatrical.

It's possible I'm wrong, the first Dolby Digital movie (although I'm having trouble confirming if this was 5.1 or not) was Batman Returns in 1992, outside experimental screenings of Star Trek VI the previous year.
Jurassic Park was the first theatrical feature to use DTS.
Clear and Present Danger on LaserDisc was the first home video release with Dolby Digital 5.1, in January 1995.
Jurassic Park got a DTS Laserdisc in January 1997.

You needed stupid amounts of expensive gear to get surround sound from LaserDiscs though.

This was a bit more accessible, although still expensive as gently caress, with the introduction of DVD, where Dolby Digital 5.1 was a standard from the ground floor, including Twister as part of the initial stack in North America, although it's possible some Japanese DVDs beat it to the punch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In other news Final Fantasy 7 is out today on the Xbox One. What a crazy world we live in.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

In other news Final Fantasy 7 is out today on the Xbox One. What a crazy world we live in.

And on Switch, making it the first time it's been officially available on a Nintendo console.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

And on Switch, making it the first time it's been officially available on a Nintendo console.

That is a loving hilarious shop holy poo poo, I cannot believe I've never seen that before.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

That is a loving hilarious shop holy poo poo, I cannot believe I've never seen that before.

It's not a shop, it was a legit ad that ran in magazines and I even saw a French version of it on a Montreal bus back in the day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DrNutt posted:

The 90s was a particularly edgy time for video game marketing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
90s game magazine ads were wild

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

The 90s was a particularly edgy time for video game marketing.

Indeed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

It's not a shop, it was a legit ad that ran in magazines and I even saw a French version of it on a Montreal bus back in the day.

The only source of that is from reddit and your memory of Montreal in the 90s. No offense intended but that is straight up the Daikatana ad font so I think my skepticism is warranted.

e: This actually has me curious enough to start looking through the old gaming magazines at my local shops and expos to see if I can find any magazines from 1997 with that ad. I find this stuff pretty fascinating. I did a media project in college that was all about lovely old cigarette and alcohol ads from the 20s and 30s that was pretty fun.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 26, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You can find multiple scans of this ad (different imperfections) and other FF7 ads with the same font online. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You can find multiple scans of this ad (different imperfections) and other FF7 ads with the same font online. :shrug:

Oh. My google fu has failed apparently because I just keep getting that one scan.

e: Okay I guess that was just "generic 90s edgy gaming ad font" wow

I'm just kinda blown away because that is far more mean spirited than like, "Sega does what Nintendon't" or those Crash ads making fun of Mario.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 26, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That's also a rather phallic ad on top of everything else going on

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I'm just kinda blown away because that is far more mean spirited than like, "Sega does what Nintendon't" or those Crash ads making fun of Mario.

TheScott2K posted:

90s game magazine ads were wild

I don't blame you for not believing though, I barely believed it when I saw those kinds of ads back in the day.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

tbf there was a lot of phallic stuff going on in the game too. Junon, Cloud's extremely girthy sword. There were some robot enemies with gun dicks too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

I don't blame you for not believing though, I barely believed it when I saw those kinds of ads back in the day.

Honest to goodness I still want to track down a magazine with one because that's a piece of gaming history lol.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You put a pen here, so people say “that looks like a penis”

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Was it 7 or another FF where a crotch grab was a plot point

Edit: I might be thinking of MGS3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfaoooo

it was truly a different time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jesus Christ Sega :stare:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

univbee posted:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
bubsy 3d owned

blasto owned

don't @ me

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Ulillillia was born the moment Bubsy 3D was conceptualized

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Early PS1 janky 3d games, even at the time, was such a weirdo genre. It's absolutely crazy that poo poo like bubsy occurred on the same console that was doing poo poo like Wipeout and MGS1.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Early PS1 janky 3d games, even at the time, was such a weirdo genre. It's absolutely crazy that poo poo like bubsy occurred on the same console that was doing poo poo like Wipeout and MGS1.

3d console gaming pre-mario 64 was by and large extremely bad

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Raiden got his pussy grabbed in MGS2 by The President.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

there was the part where cloud, tifa and aeris described different ways they'd destroy don corneo's balls right to his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VzPxKdjUI&feature=youtu.be

GWG for april:

Technomancer
Outcast remake
Star Wars BF 2(2005)
GRAW2

Solid month but, Technomancer is jank central, and Outcast is ULTRA JANK, so your mileage may vary on enjoyment.