Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dokapon Findom posted:

Made chili last night that I feel is a bit spicy for me, I might halve the chipotles in adobo but otherwise I am somewhat pleased with it. Do you have the balls to make my chili and see what needs improvement?

This sounds wack sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

hifi posted:

This sounds wack sorry

Now hold on just a minute. I don’t want anyone misinterpreting my chili. My chili is not about experimenting with gay sex during your college years. My chili is not about wearing a god damned chef’s hat. My chili is not about sauntering around with your premium ingredients while singing a pretty little song about your first period.

This is back to basics chili. This is “I’m flat loving broke” chili. This is “I have one hour to feed myself before my shift surfing for CP at the local library starts” chili. This is camping chili. This is hunting chili. This is house full of screaming little shits chili. This is the comfort chili you make your best friend right after he walks in on you speed-bagging his sister. This is quick, easy, tasty, man chili. This isn’t the chili you have Gordon Ramsey weep into because you didn’t use all fresh ingredients. And this is not the chili you waste a perfectly good steak making.

This thread is for the kind of chili you make by throwing 5 dollars of crap into a pot and screaming at it until it bends to your will. Any other type of recipe can go over to that “let’s put tequila in chili and pretend we haven’t failed as human beings” thread and contemplate the best day to commit suicide.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Leave out all the weird salts and crush up half a cup of taco chips very finely and add it in with the aromatics.

I would probably leave out all the chiles and chile powders and use one of the mexican seasoning packets with annatto and msg and spice it up with el yucateco black

Why are you using lean beef and adding like half a cup of canola oil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hifi posted:

Why are you using lean beef and adding like half a cup of canola oil

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The butcher I go to only has extra lean mince, there's almost no fat at all. The Safeway stuff has too much water, I can't seem to find a happy medium.

My objective overall was to make chili without a seasoning packet or MSG tbh, hence the fish sauce et al

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Back to the basics with ibiza salt

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

hifi posted:

Back to the basics with ibiza salt

Stop that! :mad: It's what I had on hand!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dokapon Findom posted:

My objective overall was to make chili without a seasoning packet or MSG tbh, hence the fish sauce et al

lol

your recipe sucks

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Dokapon Findom posted:

The butcher I go to only has extra lean mince, there's almost no fat at all. The Safeway stuff has too much water, I can't seem to find a happy medium.

Freeze whatever fat you cut from meat / chicken/ bacon and render it, then use it to sauté your aromatics, it makes a ton of difference
If you have a food processor, you can also just grind your own meat
I sometimes put a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in my chili
Also there's nothing really wrong with msg, and I think fish sauce is fine (I use it a lot too)

MadSparkle has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jan 31, 2024

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I wish I knew how to post pics, I made strawberry glazed crullers today and they were a thing of beauty. It was my first time making choix pastry, it was so easy, topped with freeze dried strawberries. Tasted like summer

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MadSparkle posted:

I wish I knew how to post pics, I made strawberry glazed crullers today and they were a thing of beauty. It was my first time making choix pastry, it was so easy, topped with freeze dried strawberries. Tasted like summer

freeze dried fruit is magic in baking. powder it and mix a bunch into buttercream frosting some time

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lol

your recipe sucks

Pulp av... can safely disregard :smug:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dokapon Findom posted:

Pulp av... can safely disregard :smug:

kind of like the few grains of nutmeg in your chili lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lmao

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I supposed that's what I get for respecting the chemical contributions of trace ingredients :mad:

You I respect, Crusty has no business posting in this or any thread I post in

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
The amounts of the spices and Worcestershire sauce seem low. Also Worcestershire sauce is a type of fish sauce, this is like the three types of salt

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Schmeichy posted:

The amounts of the spices and Worcestershire sauce seem low. Also Worcestershire sauce is a type of fish sauce, this is like the three types of salt

Blooming the spices did a lot of heavy lifting. Next time I'm adding more cumin, oregano, and smoked paprika. It certainly wasn't wanting for heat, though I'd attribute that in part to the canned chipotles. Next time I'll be adding more Worcestershire and fish sauce- for the fish sauce haters, the fish smell cooks out of it and all you're left with is the underlying umami as the poster upthread noted

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dokapon Findom posted:

Blooming the spices did a lot of heavy lifting. Next time I'm adding more cumin, oregano, and smoked paprika. It certainly wasn't wanting for heat, though I'd attribute that in part to the canned chipotles. Next time I'll be adding more Worcestershire and fish sauce- for the fish sauce haters, the fish smell cooks out of it and all you're left with is the underlying umami as the poster upthread noted

the fish sauce isn't really the problem (it helps make meaty stews meatier), it's the fact that you have too little chile powder(s) in your chili. there's not even 2 tablespoons total, yet you have an entire can of chipotle in adobo, which will overpower everything, as you found out

or better yet, get some dried anchos or something, toast, rehydrate, and blend them instead

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Try adding a little bit of anise to give it some pop

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

freeze dried fruit is magic in baking. powder it and mix a bunch into buttercream frosting some time

I was going to make a strawberry tres leches cake with it, but that also sounds phenomenal

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

Made chili last night that I feel is a bit spicy for me, I might halve the chipotles in adobo but otherwise I am somewhat pleased with it. Do you have the balls to make my chili and see what needs improvement?

ya if you can't find tallow or lard, fry off some bacon and fry the beef in that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eat This Glob posted:

i made fried rice tonight and used a little fish sauce. poo poo smells like death, but if you can get over the initial funk when it hits a hot pan, it does add a lot of flavor imo

You need some seasoning sauce for your fried rice. I've got a bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce and it does add that restaurant flavor to homemade fried rice.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

nutmeg in your chili

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the only real crime I see in that recipe is using finishing salt for general seasoning

you're just throwing money away doing that

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well now I want to make some chili. I can't make it very spicy though for my roommate's sake (medical reasons, not palate ones, which sucks for her because she used to really love spicy stuff).

Probably gonna make some simple cream of zucchini soup this weekend instead. (Zucchini, onions, garlic, broth, sour cream. Easy+peasy). I've been craving it, and it'll be nice and mellow for her when she (hopefully) comes home from the hospital in the next day or two.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
[Cooking] just use MSG you racist

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
I love making chili but yeah those amounts esp for chili powder seem very low. My rule of thumb is 3 Tbsp Chili powder to 1 Tbsp Cumin per lb of beef\pork I'm doing. That's not including any hotter chili's for heat.

After that my usual dry spices are:

1Tbsp Oregano
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1tsp turmeric
1tsp cocoa powder
1tsp salt and pepper
some form of msg, either 1Tbsp worcestshire or just 1/2 tsp msg. Fish sauce costs a lot more than just powdered msg and you'll never taste it so skip it imo.

if I'm making it for me and I'll add another tsp of serrano powder, but everyone else in the house are wimps so I never do lol

I usually have some masa in the house, so I throw a 1/4 cup of that in at the end to thicken it up.

That's really all you need spice wise from a chili. As for the base of the chili itself, I typically start with a large onion, 2 or 3 carrots shredded up, a big can of crushed tomatos ,1 lb of meat and 3-4 cups pinto beans that I cook up in the slow cooker. I make huge batches so I can freeze it for a few more meals.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

grains might be the unit of weight and not a few literal grains

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I keep a 12-gauge whisk for stews and a 20-gauge for sauces

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I made the chili and it was dope

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

what do you all like in your trail mix?

dried mulberries are one of the most pro moves imo

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
will be quitting food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

disagree

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

thotsky posted:

[Cooking] just use MSG you racist

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

no clue, i eat muesli dry or with immediate milk like it's cereal. i've never done it the 'right' way

i buy rolled oats in bulk and eat them like cereal with milk and brown sugar. might add currants, raisins, fresh fruit, or some cinnamon.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

what's cooking for super bowl? I can't decide beyond s'mores for dessert

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
tried my hand at pita bread, very pleased with how it came out.

Just crushed a banging sandwich (?) on one, most excellent.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not hosting but if I was I'd do something constructable... Tater tot bar maybe

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Maybe some spaghetti and sportsballs? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm thinking wings. Half in my house sauce (equal parts oyster sauce, sriracha, and something sweet), the other half done crispy with corn starch and then heavily seasoned.