Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a big nothing while also being a reminder that out of touch includes "basic social mores of the era".

It’s wild that we haven’t had a president people (if they knew all the context) most people would trust to look after a minor daughter in a long, long time.

Before you bring up Obama remember who his daughter interned for?

selec fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

selec posted:

Before you bring up Obama remember who his daughter interned for?

This only makes any sense if you think being a rapist is contagious

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Dubar posted:

Calls his judgement into question a bit.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dubar posted:

It only makes sense in our actual society, where everybody in that class knew what was up and covered it up until they couldn’t.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I doubt Obama thought Malia was in any danger. But considering how well-known Weinstein's reputation was, it was probably less like "Weinstein's a good guy" and more like "Weinstein won't gently caress with the family of somebody vastly more powerful than himself". Which, hosed up if true.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We also don't know anything about Obama family dynamics. It's completely possible that he raised concerns with her, but she was insistent about taking the internship anyway because the company was so prestigious. She was an adult.

I dunno I guess for a guy who pressed the "kill some people" button 542 times, killing 3797 people, including (at least) 324 civilians, it seems like a comparatively venial sin.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think it’s pretty funny that gas stations are probably just going to start advertising half a gallon prices in the very near future.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nonsense posted:

I think it’s pretty funny that gas stations are probably just going to start advertising half a gallon prices in the very near future.

What's funny about that?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

What's funny about that?

Everything is falling apart and our leaders are actively brute forcing this. The Republicans are going to be extremely vengeful when they return.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nonsense posted:

Everything is falling apart and our leaders are actively brute forcing this. The Republicans are going to be extremely vengeful when they return.

Yeah I don't find that funny.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I don't find that funny.

Some people laugh and some people cry.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We should remember that the policy failure here isn't "gas prices are high" but rather "gas is a mandatory purchase for most people," and that blame is shared by every president and congress of the last 100 years.

I don't think half-gallon pricing is coming, but the psychology of gas prices is so weird that maybe it would actually make people relax a little? My first impulse would be that the general reaction would be "do they think I'm stupid?", but who knows how many people would just see Number Go Down and have their systolic drop 10 points.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Half gallon would be too obvious. They should switch to liters instead :evilbuddy:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 12, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just go with 1/4 prices.

4 is bigger than 2 and 3 so its more.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
A good portion of price increases is price-gouging, which something can be done about yet for SOME REASON isn't.

The logistics issues are harder because you can't force companies to hire more skilled labor/pay them better/offer better benefits or buy more equipment even as they make a killing in the stock market instead. This accounts for some of the prices increases/empty shelves.

The conflict causing gas and food prices to rise yet more makes sense.

Meanwhile, housing costs are skyrocketing and people are being kicked out of their homes due to being unable to pay rent even with a job or two.

At the very least, as much should be done as possible to help the majority of people in this country (like by giving them money or going after companies for gouging) afford the basics because most people are not able to absorb these costs. This is an emergency situation.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

drat, just realized that American car culture is 100 years old now. I still think that "street car" suburbs were still a thing in the 1920's but they were getting slowly edged out by the car centric ones.

EDIT: I did hear a policy proposal from Biden about taxing petrolum company profits and sending people a gasoline rebate check but I don't know if it's actually happening.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 12, 2022

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Of all the things you could pull a "in the interest of national security..." on, I feel like capping gas profits would be a pretty easy pill for the public to swallow.

Like, would even fucker carlson's audience go along with the inevitable "DON'T PUNISH SUCCESS! FREE MARKET!" reaction?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Chud in the supermarket screaming about gas prices and Biden being "worse than Jimmy Carter" for "inflation". Saw the same chud later and they couldn't operate the "self checkout" and started yelling at the employees.

gently caress these morons

Also, never let your tank get below 3/4 full then you don't notice the cost topping off all the time. :newlol:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 13, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Chud in the supermarket screaming about gas prices and Biden being "worse than Jimmy Carter" for "inflation". Saw the same chud later and they couldn't operate the "self checkout" and started yelling at the employees.

gently caress these morons

Also, never let your tank get below 3/4 full then you don't notice the cost topping off all the time. :newlol:

Self checkout is not always a well-designed interface and is both anti worker and anti customer: it takes labor from workers and puts it onto customers, in a way that benefits neither.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

selec posted:

Self checkout is not always a well-designed interface and is both anti worker and anti customer: it takes labor from workers and puts it onto customers, in a way that benefits neither.

I agree and never use them. The dumb Chud couldn't be BURDENED with waiting in the normal check out lines. :freep:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

I agree and never use them. The dumb Chud couldn't be BURDENED with waiting in the normal check out lines. :freep:

I mean the dude isn’t wrong about speedrunning the Carter admin either, I’m just wondering who the Kennedy who primaries him is gonna be.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

selec posted:

Self checkouts are great if you put your headphones in and scan everything only once whether or not it rings up. Also who can remember to scan stuff on the bottom of the cart, don't blame me, I was never properly trained in its operation.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Self checkouts let you buy organic produce at non-organic prices

everyone does it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
semi related to selfcheckout and stolen from the technightmare thread.

Hobnob posted:

In stupid tech news:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/12/business/walgreens-freezer-screens/index.html

Can't see this lasting. Since they're full door-sized flat panels I'd think they'd be (a) pretty expensive, (b) a good deal heavier than a normal glass door, and (c) not going to last after repeated slamming from customers just trying to find the Dr Pepper, or whatever.

Rebel Blob posted:

This wonderful system in action:

https://i.imgur.com/SfYRIuQ.mp4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That is incredibly stupid

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

selec posted:

Why do people use self-checkout, then, if it benefits nobody?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jizz Festival posted:

anti-worker and anti-customer does not necessarily mean anti-executive

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Kavros posted:

anti-worker and anti-customer does not necessarily mean anti-executive

So only executives use it? I had no idea I had been promoted.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I don't mind self checkout replacing the 10 items or less isle. I like to use them so I can buy basmati rice at long grain white rice prices.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Do some of y’all never go in public?? Self check out has like 6 checkouts vs the 2 they have open where a person rings me up. It is way quicker normally

It’s that simple come the gently caress on y’all

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At restaurants I dump all my leftover food on the table and smear it around and stuff all my napkins into the glasses to make sure the busboys and dishwashers have plenty of work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jizz Festival posted:

So only executives use it? I had no idea I had been promoted.

if a set of corporate execs figure they can push for the system to get implemented and pay less human beings money that could be going into their pockets, they'll promote it as Innovation™

they will do so even if the concept has little long-term viability, because their concerns exist only until they can cash out and live on the spoils of medium-term fleecing of existing structures.

like literally all they need to be on-board with the project concept is someone gesturing broadly to the concept of "we can render a significant portion of the workforce redundant"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PhazonLink posted:

semi related to selfcheckout and stolen from the technightmare thread.

Some friends in Chicago have seen these popping up in Walgreen's, and yeah the reaction has been pretty much the same. Just blatant deception about what's actually in there.

Jizz Festival posted:

It benefits the company because it's designed to make customers do a job that cashiers would do, and they do it for free. Customers are basically forced to give the company their free labor because there's only three registers with actual cashiers open and there's like eight people in each line.

Which is why I'd argue that if certain items don't get scanned or the wrong number gets punched in, it's Walmart's fault for not training you properly in how to use the self-checkout.

Birdseed, incidentally, is the cheapest item per weight sold at Meijer's.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"Unexpected Item in the bagging area!" "Unexpected Item in the bagging area!" "Unexpected Item in the bagging area!"

"Please wait for assistance"

That one poor grocery store worker assigned to the self checkout deserves a bonus for that shift.

Sure Self Checkout is fine for a handful of items (no produce as you have to look each up), 95% of the time it's easier to use the cashiers that kick rear end and scan stuff 500 times faster than the average neckbearded goon.

..also you can't buy booze in the self checkout. :smugdog:

EDIT: now remembering Home Depot has also gone bonkers with self checkout.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Self-checkout is good because the line moves faster and I can swipe, pay, and move on way faster than the cashier

It's bad because if I've got beer I have to wait anyway

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RBA Starblade posted:

It's bad because if I've got beer I have to wait anyway

or you know, further jobs lost to capitalism

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bottom Liner posted:

or you no, further jobs lost to capitalism

I've never seen lanes 2, 3, and 5-11 in use anywhere anyway

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

or you no, further jobs lost to capitalism

Lamenting the "loss" of work only makes sense under capitalism. In a better world we would be glad that fewer people have to stand for hours at a checkstand scanning and bagging groceries.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jizz Festival posted:

Lamenting the "loss" of work only makes sense under capitalism. In a better world we would be glad that fewer people have to stand for hours at a checkstand scanning and bagging groceries.

boy do i have bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

It benefits the company because it's designed to make customers do a job that cashiers would do, and they do it for free. Customers are basically forced to give the company their free labor because there's only three registers with actual cashiers open and there's like eight people in each line.

In an ideal world where the reduced costs from self-checkouts went toward pensions for cashiers or higher wages, they would be absolutely wonderful, but of course we don't live anywhere near that world.

Well, I guess in an ideal world people would be charged not for the food they took home, but rather the food they threw away.

It really is amazing how much they rely on the general honesty of the public. "Oops, I just hosed up, sorry!" is pretty much an ironclad legal defense against any accusation of shoplifting an item or two. I'm sure there's a statistically tolerable level of loss that's offset by the labor costs, but yeah people could steal massively more poo poo than they do. Anything I've ever not paid for, if it's happened at all, was by mistake.

e: The self-checkouts at CVS are actually a godsend, because you're usually buying <5 things, and the checkout process with all their rewards and coupons and donations and other touchscreen crap can make a single customer take loving forever (and that's also awful for the employees, of course). If you're behind, say, a couple of tiny old ladies and there's no self-checkout, just go home and come back in an hour.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 13, 2022