Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

Also , why isn't everyone rich?

Phone posted:

it's because they have a poor mindset, bing bong it's so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Source?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

I'm going to guess it's Thomas Frank's new book.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That would be correct. Get the Audible version, it's narrated by him.

Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People?

The print/ebook version has a post-election epilogue though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

That would be correct. Get the Audible version, it's narrated by him.

Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People?

The print/ebook version has a post-election epilogue though.

Thank you, it sounds like a good read.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

larry summers has probably done more to gently caress things up than any other american

technocrats Clinton and Obama both relied heavily on him as The Expert, not only loving up our country but insuring that our handling of rehabilitating of post-Soviet Russia's economy was corruption/oligarchy friendly as humanly possible

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/888111415457849348

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The chapter on the movie 'Primary Colors" hits that nail right on the head.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I don't get it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Why is Tucker spending so much time on that topic? Is he some kind of pervert?

You know that joke about regressives being repressed homosexuals.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I don't get it.

Even if you're working at McDonald's, you still deserve to be treated with respect and paid decently. Democrats used to be the party of unions and blue collar workers, but these days we only talk about getting an education and a "skilled" job.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Ah, so the 'Better Skills' thing is a dog whistle against blue-collar (and thus 'unskilled') jobs? I see. I suppose I looked at "Better Skills" as like, retraining coal workers for green jobs. But then again, I am reminded that there are far fewer coal workers (~50 thousand) than there are McDonalds service people (~1 million).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Ah, so the 'Better Skills' thing is a dog whistle against blue-collar (and thus 'unskilled') jobs? I see. I suppose I looked at "Better Skills" as like, retraining coal workers for green jobs. But then again, I am reminded that there are far fewer coal workers (~50 thousand) than there are McDonalds service people (~1 million).

It's also placing the blame on the workers. Oh you just don't have the right skills, it's your fault. Not the capitalists rapidly looting this country and loving off to live as god-kings in Dubai. If only you knew how to code, then the structural inequities in our system would all disappear.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

I don't get it.

They're building in the idea that people who work minimum wage don't deserve a raise right into their slogans.

If they try to use this as some kind of rallying cry then they will once again lose in 2018 and 2020 because they just can't stop running center-right republicans masquerading as democrats instead of progressives. This idiotic slogan is a symptom of their unwillingness to stop catering to the wealthy donor class at the expense of the people they need to convince to vote for them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

empty whippet box posted:

They're building in the idea that people who work minimum wage don't deserve a raise right into their slogans.

If they try to use this as some kind of rallying cry then they will once again lose in 2018 and 2020 because they just can't stop running center-right republicans masquerading as democrats instead of progressives. This idiotic slogan is a symptom of their unwillingness to stop catering to the wealthy donor class at the expense of the people they need to convince to vote for them.

I'm not even going to lie. This slogan confirms there is no blue wave coming. They are going to lose terribly and the ACA is going to be repealed thanks to the fact that Republicans will feel there are no penalties for actions anymore. If you think they're bad now, wait till they act when they think you can do everything they've done and suffer nothing.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

I don't get it.

their grand strategy is for 50 year old coal miners to go to coding boot camp

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

If they really go with this, they will actually lose seats in the House.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Covok posted:

I'm not even going to lie. This slogan confirms there is no blue wave coming. They are going to lose terribly and the ACA is going to be repealed thanks to the fact that Republicans will feel there are no penalties for actions anymore. If you think they're bad now, wait till they act when they think you can do everything they've done and suffer nothing.

Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, shut the gently caress up you Chicken Little, South Park wannabe nihilist. This hand wringing woe is me wailing is beyond tiresome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

This is basically the Jack Stanton speech in Primary Colors.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

toanoradian posted:

nah, blue collar often involves a respectable amount of skill

the issue is displacing the responsibility of a good life onto the worker instead of guaranteeing a baseline for all, including unskilled ditch diggers

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, shut the gently caress up you Chicken Little, South Park wannabe nihilist. This hand wringing woe is me wailing is beyond tiresome.

Political success doesn't just happen, its the result of hard work. If the Dems fail to learn anything they will continue to lose. Long periods of one party dominating Congress is actual pretty common in US history.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Political success doesn't just happen, its the result of hard work. If the Dems fail to learn anything they will continue to lose. Long periods of one party dominating Congress is actual pretty common in US history.

And pretending a Hannity-esque twisting of a random campaign slogan is the end of the Democratic party and whatever pretense of political accountability along with it is beyond tiresome.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PJOmega posted:

And pretending a Hannity-esque twisting of a random campaign slogan is the end of the Democratic party and whatever pretense of political accountability along with it is beyond tiresome.

I think he was trying to be ironic. I thought it was kind of funny, at least.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Does "ironic [x] is just as bad as actual [x]" not apply to Arzying?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Actually losing the presidency to a rapist cartoon character from RoboCop was the end of the Democratic party.

One would think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ynglaur posted:

I think he was trying to be ironic. I thought it was kind of funny, at least.

I don't think Covok "does" irony.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PJOmega posted:

It's especially funny because it isn't even the actual slogan. It's a sub-header to the actual slogan of "A Better Deal" i.e. calling back to the New Deal explicitly.

The whole idea is that the overarching campaign is "A Better Deal" and then a candidate in one area (probably a rich one) might emphasize Better Skills i.e. making education work and be affordable. Some other candidate might go hard on Better Jobs, especially if they're in somewhere with really bad unemployment. And so on.

So national level campaign work will hit the slogan and the various sub-slogans, various local entities will go harder on some of them in particular if they feel that's what the area responds to. And there's more than just the skills/jobs/wages stuff in the first place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PJOmega posted:

The thing is that it isn't a campaign slogan, it's the title from an op ed Tim Kaine wrote back in May. The Official DNC Approved (patent pending) messaging is slated to come out next week, but some Dems on the hill rediscovered this to try to get some momentum built up.

The main takeaway is that the Dems absolutely refuse to budge on means testing, and people can smell that bullshit from a mile away.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Covok posted:

Get over it. Anyone who claims they know for sure what's going to happen sixteen months in advance is full of poo poo. It's good to be aware of problems, but the pessimism is ridiculous.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So how's the RWM going to take Spicer's resignation?

"Wants to spend more time with his family"?

Or, "Who?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Given the way the news of how and why he resigned is breaking, it's gonna shift hard to "TRAITOR!" </stormtrooper> real soon, if it hasn't already.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
RedState getting on board with the collusion story:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Huh, I would've thought "everyone colludes with Russia" defense would come before the "colluding with Russia is normal because that's politics" defense.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cannot wait till Todd Starnes or insert name here, responds to this because this is HUGE

https://twitter.com/FFRF/status/888447385088733184

quote:

The Kentucky Tourism, Arts, and Heritage Cabinet notified the operators of the Ark Encounter that it is in breach of its Tourism Development Agreement with the state. That agreement provides up to $18 million in state subsidies for the Ark project in the form of annual sales tax rebates. FFRF obtained records from the Cabinet today that include a July 18 notice sent to the operators of the Ark saying that Ark Encounter, LLC has breached the agreement following the sale of the property. The letter says that no further tax rebates may accrue as of June 28.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Or, "Who?"

They'll probably just end up pointing out that he did a terrible job and drew focus to himself in a way that didn't benefit the administration.

The resignations this week are a very clear sign that Trump world continues to be in chaos, but there's no reason for it to penetrate the bubble. They'll soft peddle it with, "he was doing a bad job," and "it's just a low level staffing change."

Unless Trump himself resigns from office there's no reason for the to ever need to grapple with the larger situation.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No one told drudge that Trump is claiming to be one of the most productive, legislatively (and that's his distinction, bills through congress) I guess.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

HootTheOwl posted:

No one told drudge that Trump is claiming to be one of the most productive, legislatively (and that's his distinction, bills through congress) I guess.

No, he is the most productive president is still the narrative, but besides democrats, the useless congress not doing what he wants is an obvious blame target for his lack of doing anything except rapidly get fatter and older.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Executive Orders, which are now good because the other side is issuing them.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Or, "Who?"

Noooo my Animal Farm references...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Or, "Who?"

Probably "he took all he could take from a media with an agenda and had enough". They'll blame the media. That seems to the go to move anymore since they can't blame congress or the president any longer. Having said that, it's not uncommon for press secretaries to resign over the last 10 or 15 years. That job has to seriously suck.

Actually, Hillary Clinton probably is to blame come to think of it. Maybe Obama.

Crabtree posted:

No, he is the most productive president is still the narrative, but besides democrats, the useless congress not doing what he wants is an obvious blame target for his lack of doing anything except rapidly get fatter and older.

Yeah, that Democrat controlled congress.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 22, 2017