Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They've updated that page this morning. It doesn't say when it was initially posted, but that page is at very least a week old, and the supply from Asus is still homeopathic.

This poo poo almost makes me want to go with AMD out of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I read that NVidia cancelled the Watchdogs promotion because of overwhelming demand versus limited supply of Watchdogs copies/licenses. Great.

Oh good timing I just claimed my code today.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I read that NVidia cancelled the Watchdogs promotion because of overwhelming demand versus limited supply of Watchdogs copies/licenses. Great.

If I got a code but didn’t claim it yet am I out of luck? I probably won’t consider it a big loss regardless.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cygni posted:

Denmark, of all places, apparently got 40 at just this one retailer.

https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview

Supply is absolutely below demand, especially for the STRIX (which seems overboard honestly, considering its performance is the same as all the rest and the OC headroom on all these things is basically zero), but it does appear to exist in the wild. Dunno whats up with the Canadian retailers specifically.

Yeah so that's what's really making me angry. I showed up, put money down and I'm first in line. I didn't think I'd be waiting a full month since I placed my order only to discover no cards have been shipped here. I thought Strix cards would start trickling in September 28th perhaps at a rate of 10-20 per week to Canada computers.

Somehow the Europeans are getting 100s of STRIX cards shipped to every major Schengen country with some side shipments to Eastern Europe. New Zealand, a country with a fraction of Canada's population is getting Strix cards. I do not understand in the slightest why not a single unit has been shipped to Canada other than newegg exports from the US. It's making me think there's shenanigans going on due to the lack of transparency. The amount of frustrated customers has sparked an enormous rumour mill where everyone is feeding into the worst of eacothers' conspiracy theories and anxieties. I'm also convinced that CC employees are helping stoke the fires by influencing customers into believing something is coming when perhaps nothing actually is. People are talking about containers landing in the port of Los Angeles where Canada bound shipments are being intercepted and redirected to US customers because "gently caress you". Something's going on at ASUS and their entire community management staff have been issued a gag order where they can't say a word about what the delay might be about. I also noticed that Strix cards were sent to reviewers who could only talk about what the specs of the card are as mentioned by the manufacturer without really going into things like performance etc.

Everything I'm saying here is speculation in the absence of information. Given enough time who knows what people are going to be saying. I wouldn't be surprised if angry nerds show up and start picketing Asus' HQ here just to demand answers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does anyone want the geforce now code I got from my BestBuy order? Have no interest in cloud nonsense

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rolo posted:

If I got a code but didn’t claim it yet am I out of luck? I probably won’t consider it a big loss regardless.
Existing codes will work until end of October. But if you're still sitting with your thumb up your rear end waiting for a card to be shipped, to receive your code, you'll be SOL.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Combat Pretzel posted:

This poo poo almost makes me want to go with AMD out of principle.

No you can't DLSS is too dope, they've got you by the twig and berries mate

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cygni posted:

Denmark, of all places, apparently got 40 at just this one retailer.

https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview

Supply is absolutely below demand, especially for the STRIX (which seems overboard honestly, considering its performance is the same as all the rest and the OC headroom on all these things is basically zero), but it does appear to exist in the wild. Dunno whats up with the Canadian retailers specifically.

GPU overclocking has never been steller compared to CPU but 100 on the core is 100 on the core.

I want it for the cooler, the 3 power plugs, the cool RGB and most importantly I want my GPU to take over control of my case fan speed. Using my AIO to drive all the case fans in my new 500D is working really well but I dont have that option on my wifes system, shes working off the motherboard temp which is slow to respond to GPU loads and slow to ramp back down.

I have ripped of the coolers from my last 2 GPUs for being poo poo vs ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accel...la-552870563939

I'm really looking forwards to actually being happy with the stock cooling on a GPU.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Taima posted:

No you can't DLSS is too dope, they've got you by the twig and berries mate

There's like, maybe 2 games that support DLSS worth playing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

republic posted:

Good luck to those that got through on Best Buy today.

I managed to land an order on their website on last Friday's drop and spent all weekend looking forward to delivery this past Tuesday. I then learned Tuesday morning that someone at the UPS sorting center in Atlanta opened my package and stole the card - they found the carton open with invoice and contents missing. Spoke with a Best Buy rep this morning who informed me they didn't have availability on hand to send me a replacement (which is wild seeing this afternoon's stock drop) but just a refund so now I get to chase Discord alerts all over again. poo poo sucks!

drat dude, that sucks. Now you got me worried about my Best Buy order too. What did you see that made you follow up on your order?

Mine says it left Illinois (I'm in CA) on the morning of the 13th... and hasn't had any updates since. It says I'm supposed to get it by tomorrow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess it’s just babby’s first GPU launch for a lot of people.

For a few fleeting hours before launch day I was toying with the idea of trying to get a 3090 FE because I'd worked out that my usual vice of going to Alamo Drafthouse at least once per week added up to more than $2000/year.

People are nuts right now because GPUs represent a vice that helps stave off boredom just that little bit more.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

drat dude, that sucks. Now you got me worried about my Best Buy order too. What did you see that made you follow up on your order?

Mine says it left Illinois (I'm in CA) on the morning of the 13th... and hasn't had any updates since. It says I'm supposed to get it by tomorrow.

This tracking update on Tuesday morning is what sent me from 0-100.

That destination scan at 9am, 2 hours after the damage claim, throws me for a loop but I have no clue how their system works. It's the last activity on the carton. Hopefully nobody that got through on Best Buy today has to deal with this sort of headache.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

b0ner of doom posted:

There's like, maybe 2 games that support DLSS worth playing.

It's almost like DLSS just got good and it only needs to be on the most intensive games and there's no real incentive to back port it for developers.

You can hate on DLSS if you want mate lets talk when CP2077 comes out dawg and we'll see how things move in the next year. I'm all in baby. You don't even have to train DLSS on a per game basis anymore and it's in / will be OOB in unreal engine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You know what would really make the GPU shortages better right about now?

another crypto boom

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I play at 1080p so DLSS is basically worthless to me, the 720p source is too low res for it to give a good result

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For a few fleeting hours before launch day I was toying with the idea of trying to get a 3090 FE because I'd worked out that my usual vice of going to Alamo Drafthouse at least once per week added up to more than $2000/year.

People are nuts right now because GPUs represent a vice that helps stave off boredom just that little bit more.

20 series had so many reasons to hold off.

No direct X forced upgrade
Poor price / Performance
Ray tracing worked in few games
Ray tracing hosed your FPS at a time when high FPS gamming was first becoming mainstream.

Everything pointed to the 30 series being the card to get because games would finally have ray tracing and the cards would be good at it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's also literally the only HDMI 2.1 source in existence as far as I know so if you're into that, that's all there is.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress are you serious

this just keeps getting better

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pack-in promotional titles are always a limited timeframe and there's always a cap on it. i don't recall a launch this stretched out to make it apparent to most buyers though

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

There's no reason to pack in a game either when they sell out in 2 seconds

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Just received an email from Dell stating that the card that I ordered a few days ago is "now out of stock" and they'll have to assign me a new delivery date when the product becomes available again - up to 60 days.

Yay :cripes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GeekyManatee posted:

Just received an email from Dell stating that the card that I ordered a few days ago is "now out of stock" and they'll have to assign me a new delivery date when the product becomes available again - up to 60 days.

Same. :negative:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
genuinely considering paying $200 over msrp at this point to stop giving myself daily notification anxiety

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Samesame. And I'd already cancelled the 3090 (though, probably that was out of stock too). God dammit.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Every time the world hurts me is a step closer I move toward groveling in front of a scalper.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Question re: GSync. Is there any reason to select "Enable for full screen mode" vs "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"? I have a few games that will occasionally reset to windowed mode and I'd hate to lose any GSync functionality (I'm looking at you, iRacing).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

GeekyManatee posted:

You're making me nervous. Mine hasn't shipped yet, but it still shows due next week.

Which variant did you get?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol, “it’s a demand problem, not a supply problem”

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
just got my email from dell about it being out of stock and i bought it right after it went up in discord. the gaming x trio was the one i tried to get.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone has a source on this?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

shrike82 posted:

lol, “it’s a demand problem, not a supply problem”

I mean obviously supply and demand are inextricably linked such that if supply can meet demand there is no problem.

What people mean when they say it's a demand problem is "demand is much much higher than it ever has been before, in part owing to factors that have nothing to do with gpus at all, while the supply of cards is substantially unchanged from other launches." Yes, there is a supply problem in the sense that they cannot make enough to meet demand, but it does not appear that supply is the variable that has changed from previous launches - demand is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You'd think if that were the case they'd be touting some sales numbers instead of nebulous statements about "Demand!!!" :tinfoil:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Like you're reading stories in this very thread of people considering buying $1500 awful value graphics cards because they can't go to bars anymore. The world has been turned on its loving head.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

Question re: GSync. Is there any reason to select "Enable for full screen mode" vs "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"? I have a few games that will occasionally reset to windowed mode and I'd hate to lose any GSync functionality (I'm looking at you, iRacing).

the windowed and fullscreen mode option is buggy for some apps and your fps on the desktop will drop to like 30 if you encounter one such app.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Stickman posted:

You'd think if that were the case they'd be touting some sales numbers instead of nebulous statements about "Demand!!!" :tinfoil:

I don't think they usually release sales numbers. Here's a link that does some silly speculation though.

https://www.world-today-news.com/rtx-3080-is-more-than-12x-as-popular-in-pricewatch-as-rtx-2080-upon-release-computer-news-2/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

I don't think they usually release sales numbers. Here's a link that does some silly speculation though.

https://www.world-today-news.com/rtx-3080-is-more-than-12x-as-popular-in-pricewatch-as-rtx-2080-upon-release-computer-news-2/

lamo that website looks sketch as gently caress

https://www.world-today-news.com/billie-eilish-subtly-licks-body-hammers/
Billie Eilish subtly licks body hammers

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

shrike82 posted:

lamo that website looks sketch as gently caress

https://www.world-today-news.com/billie-eilish-subtly-licks-body-hammers/
Billie Eilish subtly licks body hammers

Story checks out.

...what is a body hammer?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

VorpalFish posted:

Like you're reading stories in this very thread of people considering buying $1500 awful value graphics cards because they can't go to bars anymore. The world has been turned on its loving head.

The 3090 FE is sweet though, it really is great and fast and weighs like 9 pounds and is so quiet you can't even hear it on load because of the nuts cooling solution. The extra frames at 4K/120 are worth to me at least.

I was gonna scalp mine but ended up loving it too much. Would pay $1,500 again, thank you Jensen-sama

e: seriously it is balls-hot right now in my office and there's so much heat dissipation on this bad boy the fans are dead stopped even now.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 16, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Story checks out.

...what is a body hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

I mean obviously supply and demand are inextricably linked such that if supply can meet demand there is no problem.

What people mean when they say it's a demand problem is "demand is much much higher than it ever has been before, in part owing to factors that have nothing to do with gpus at all, while the supply of cards is substantially unchanged from other launches." Yes, there is a supply problem in the sense that they cannot make enough to meet demand, but it does not appear that supply is the variable that has changed from previous launches - demand is.

UK/EU hasn't seen a proper restock in over 2 weeks now, but yeah it's a demand problem :)

Kraftwerk posted:

Holy poo poo, people joke about that kinda poo poo but hearing first hand about how it actually happens is whacked. Who bears the responsibility for this? Does best buy get to file a claim with UPS for damages? Could best buy have absolved themselves of any liability and kept your money?

The contract for shipping is between BB and UPS, not the customer and UPS. BB in no way could have kept the money, they'll be pursuing insurance repayment from UPS.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 16, 2020