Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cavelcade posted:

I have to sit down and think about my life.

I didn't know about it until a few months ago. Mimic can do some nifty things, but it sure as heck helps to not have that be the ONLY option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anyone else with the PC version found that Steam now refuses to recognise it? I have all the data sitting there in my drive with Steam pointed at it, but the name is still grey in my library. Even weirder when I tell it to install again; it does the usual file checks, starts 'Installing', then goes straight back to being unplayable.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I’ve been playing the FFX Remaster on PS4 and high school me totally missed how messed up and bleak Spira is the first time around even though the game beats you over the head with it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shark Sandwich posted:

I’ve been playing the FFX Remaster on PS4 and high school me totally missed how messed up and bleak Spira is the first time around even though the game beats you over the head with it.

It's why X-2 is so good an interesting. Thousands of years of nothing but hopeless death and short lives and suddenly the average lifespan quadruples and all the old religious taboos are gone so everyone goes a little nuts in their own way and it's so cool.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell Wyrm took ages even with 4X speed and a good crew, can't believe how long Yiazmat will take.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IIRC they nerfed Yiazmat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Tae posted:

Not really. It has just as much HP as all the other versions.

But break damage limit and 4x makes it less painful. Still takes a while.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I mean, they made all bosses vulnerable to breaks, so you can certainly make him less threatening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yiazmat has always been vulnerable to breaks because it's mentioned in the PS2 guide I have for it. Still sickened I can't use the Yagyu Darkblade on him :saddowns:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Playing FF6 with my roommate on my SNES classic, and the opera section looks great using the curtain borders.

Mostly, I just wanted to say thank you to whoever told me how to get the genji glove. Any other tips for after I finish the opera section? Should I start looking for the extra characters?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Playing FF6 with my roommate on my SNES classic, and the opera section looks great using the curtain borders.

Mostly, I just wanted to say thank you to whoever told me how to get the genji glove. Any other tips for after I finish the opera section? Should I start looking for the extra characters?

Nah. There is a really obvious "second half" of the game, and that's when you can find the optional characters. The first half is pretty linear. You will eventually infiltrate a Empire facility, after which you can pick up some optional magicite in Jidoor and.... the Northern-most town on the Southern continent, I want to say.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zodiark was a bit tougher than I expected, had level 71 so he couldn't use any of his level specific attacks thankfully and unlike Zalera had no prime level attack. I died I think three times and started to get a bit frustrated because so far he's the only superboss that didn't have save crystal parked outside his area and there was a long travel to get to him. Looked up the strategy afterwards and apparently dispelling his initial buffs is what causes him to cast immunity to damage palings in the latter half of the fight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah. There is a really obvious "second half" of the game, and that's when you can find the optional characters. The first half is pretty linear. You will eventually infiltrate a Empire facility, after which you can pick up some optional magicite in Jidoor and.... the Northern-most town on the Southern continent, I want to say.
Single counterpoint: when you get a chance to take the airship back to Narshe, go to that house that used to be locked on the right side of town and there's some good loot+another relevant choice

(the choice you make is not permanent, so you can only permanently miss one thing that you probably don't care about because of it)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh it's cool as hell you can just activate the Esper's ultimate move whenever you want instead of having to fulfil the weird criteria. Most of them weren't too bad when you knew what they were except with the new time limits it'd be super hard to keep both of you alive that long for any enemy that could also survive that long.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

You need to get Mog in the moogle cave in the WoB or you can't get them in the WoR, I thought? I never played through and didn't get them asap though. :shrug:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Evil Fluffy posted:

You need to get Mog in the moogle cave in the WoB or you can't get them in the WoR, I thought? I never played through and didn't get them asap though. :shrug:

Nope. You can get them just fine. You only delay their recruitment until you get to the WoR.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah, you can get that character just fine in the WoR. You can even choose the Gold Hairpin over Mog if you want and still get him in the WoR. You'll miss out on your chance at Water Rondo but that's such a tedious bit of nonsense to get that it's honestly a wash.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Locke posted:

Nah, you can get that character just fine in the WoR. You can even choose the Gold Hairpin over Mog if you want and still get him in the WoR. You'll miss out on your chance at Water Rondo but that's such a tedious bit of nonsense to get that it's honestly a wash.
This is what I was implying above if that poster doesn't mind reading spoilers - you literally only miss out on a single garbage thing you'll probably never use (although it's not half bad for a couple specific areas and a few boss fights) for a single character that probably won't be among your favorites.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is what I was implying above if that poster doesn't mind reading spoilers - you literally only miss out on a single garbage thing you'll probably never use (although it's not half bad for a couple specific areas and a few boss fights) for a single character that probably won't be among your favorites.

Cosmog is clearly best moogle.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Still slashing and hacking my way through the Fifth Ark in FFXIII. Progress was slow because I prioritised Overwatch anniversary weekend. Spoilers for the boss fight:

gently caress Raines. That was a rough fight especially managing TP to get Odin off after the first break. It's made me question my party though - I've just gone with characters I like which are Lightning, Sazh and Hope. The fight really made me miss Vanille's saboteur kit. Also could they have maybe recorded more than one line for Raines? My partner was sat across the room at her computer and had a jolly time taking the piss out of THE FAL'CIE HAVE NO HOLD OVER ME! every minute.

Is there further to go in Fifth Ark? The subway aesthetic has really worn out it's welcome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

They fixed the dumb damage cap issue. Because of the way the original fight calculated his extra reduction stuff, it capped your damage at 6999.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Still slashing and hacking my way through the Fifth Ark in FFXIII. Progress was slow because I prioritised Overwatch anniversary weekend. Spoilers for the boss fight:

gently caress Raines. That was a rough fight especially managing TP to get Odin off after the first break. It's made me question my party though - I've just gone with characters I like which are Lightning, Sazh and Hope. The fight really made me miss Vanille's saboteur kit. Also could they have maybe recorded more than one line for Raines? My partner was sat across the room at her computer and had a jolly time taking the piss out of THE FAL'CIE HAVE NO HOLD OVER ME! every minute.

Is there further to go in Fifth Ark? The subway aesthetic has really worn out it's welcome.

That boss is roughly the half way point. Your almost to the "good" part of the game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DeadButDelicious posted:

It's made me question my party though - I've just gone with characters I like which are Lightning, Sazh and Hope. The fight really made me miss Vanille's saboteur kit.
If you're ever getting stuck in a boss, strongly consider changing your party if you haven't already. Debuffs like slow help a lot against that boss and there's usually some mix of specific buffs/debuffs for each boss or mission that works best. Staying with one party usually only takes you so far until you get that one encounter that your party is lacking something for. Unless you're overleveled or have decent equipment that is

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DeadButDelicious posted:

You're past the worst parts. Enjoy Gran Pulse :)

Also, for boss fights, use Snow/Sazh/Hope and just buff the gently caress out of everyone. Most bosses will never be able to kill you. The drawback is that the fights will take forever. But at least you won't have to do them multiple times.

Then go back to using your favorites for everything else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You have a little bit, but not a ton more Fifth Ark to go through then two quick Eidolon fights (one of which I always have an extremely rough time with for some reason) and then youre at Grand Pulse.

When you hit Grand Pulse dick around and do sidequests until you unlock fast travel. Ideally do a little extra grinding until you can unlock Chocobos which is mission 14. At that point do the story as all the hunts that follow will likely rock your non post game poo poo. The reason to unlock fast travel is because when you go through the caves and to temejins tower and Oerba you can unlock fast travel points, theyve got hunts associated but youll be strong enough, along the way there for other hunts later. If you dont enjoy a shiiiiiitload of backtracking

Edit: In the midst of turtle grind. Fuuuuuuck you FF13 why is everything so expensive

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Pretty sure you can comfortably clear hunts all the way to mission 20 or something because following the Cieth stone naturally lead you to your final destination.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure you can comfortably clear hunts all the way to mission 20 or something because following the Cieth stone naturally lead you to your final destination.

Youre probably right. I mostly just know that 14 is a huge jump in difficulty

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's best to do the missions anyways because they lead you to an optional area that has a cutscene of the party figuring out where they're supposed to go, but you can just go there immediately so people usually miss it. I don't remember if you still get the cutscene later on since I like chocobos and want them asap

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You have to do missions 21-26 to proceed with the story, so it just makes sense to do the ones before that. Most of them are on the way to your destination and a few unlock teleport locations, so that's really nice to get those out of the way. You can also cheese mission 55 with death spam to get the growth egg, which is obviously better to have sooner rather than later.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mog never seemed useful in the WoB. Dances were okay, but his stats are low.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Mog never seemed useful in the WoB. Dances were okay, but his stats are low.

Well yes but on the other hand he is a Moogle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You have to do missions 21-26 to proceed with the story, so it just makes sense to do the ones before that. Most of them are on the way to your destination and a few unlock teleport locations, so that's really nice to get those out of the way. You can also cheese mission 55 with death spam to get the growth egg, which is obviously better to have sooner rather than later.

Even getting to where mission 55 is will be a really tough row to hoe when you really wont need the growth egg at all until youve beaten the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's going to be a FF14 and Monster Hunter crossover in FF14! Are you a Monster Hunter nut who has never played FF14 before, but is desperate to be part of this event? Don't worry! Square Enix has provided us with an easy, two-step plan that lets anyone take part.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Terper posted:

There's going to be a FF14 and Monster Hunter crossover in FF14! Are you a Monster Hunter nut who has never played FF14 before, but is desperate to be part of this event? Don't worry! Square Enix has provided us with an easy, two-step plan that lets anyone take part.

That's the funniest thing I'm going to see this week.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Terper posted:

Somebody saw the WildStar graphic and was dead-set against making the same mistake

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terper posted:

lol

Don't forget for the low low price of $40 you can skip part of step 2!!!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bring Locke to Kohlingen and Edgar+Sabin to Figaro Castle (I think you have to stay the night to trigger their bonus scene).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

do u pronounce it Haste-ga or Ha-Stega (like the stega in stegasaurus)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
"haste 2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

do u pronounce it Haste-ga or Ha-Stega (like the stega in stegasaurus)

Haas-ta-gah