Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I don't think I'd ever go 100% flats but I'll always have at least a Precision strung up with them.

I've been a DR guy forever so I use the Legend flats on my PJ, and I feel like the flats plus the pickup combination makes it amazingly responsive to technique changes. P thump when I play sloppy up by the neck, tons of bark when I play tight right at the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

eee. Also, I've found out the amp repair guy who I thought moved/died is still in town and alive, so I will probably just throw $50-100 and get the SWR repaired. Unless anyone still thinks I'd be better off shopping for a new amp head. Maybe something smaller or stronger. My GAS is very high, at the moment.

Tube amps have about 4,000 things that can go wrong at any given time, and that's assuming you treat it with kid gloves. Caps go out, tubes act up, power supplies malfunction, solder joints crack, etc.

Get the amp fixed. Intermittent problems like what you're describing make me think there are some cold, dirty, failed, or just bad solder joints. It happens way more often than you might think, even to expensive amps that are treated with care. It is worth the bench fee, at the very least, just to see what you're in for. The good thing about tube amps is that, while it's true that 4000 things can go wrong, they're all fixable.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

Lesson learned, I guess... just use your own gear when you have decent equipment. Our drummer had similar issues with that band's kit... pretty sure he's bringing his own next weekend too.

My band has learned to never use anything that isnt our own. The only time it comes up now is when you play some big fest and they MAKE you use backline gear, but I always try to fight it as much as is politely possible. It worked out once when we played Psycho California because our friends from Austin were the backline company, so I got to use the exact amp that I recorded the previous album with. Other wise I always get hosed using some lovely 70s SVT that hasnt been retubed in 30 years, a beat to poo poo 8x10, and it all sounds like a wimpy version of my Microcube.

Last night I played a show with my friends band, I had 48 hours to learn 6 songs, 1 band practice and then the show. I didnt gently caress to much up and it was fun as gently caress, apparently I got kicked out of the backstage area, and almost got in a fight with the door guy? Whoops, atleast I killed the set! Dangerous Toys was the headliner, apparently they were a big thing in the 80s? I'm oblivious when it comes to hair metal.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
last gig i played i had my own head but the venue backline for bass was a single hartke 1x15 combo that i could thankfully use as a cab. our guitarist uses two heads and the backline had two 4x12's for guitars. i couldn't hear myself on stage at all, and when i asked the sound guy if i could get some bass into the monitor he was like, oh they can't really produce bass frequencies.

for having to play with sight & touch alone i think it went pretty good.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
What could cause the lost of tone on a single string? The E string sound awfully flat now compared to the other 3. I owned the bass for 2 years now and never had a major service on it. Im thinking perhaps there is something that need to be change?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Frog 1.0 posted:

What could cause the lost of tone on a single string? The E string sound awfully flat now compared to the other 3. I owned the bass for 2 years now and never had a major service on it. Im thinking perhaps there is something that need to be change?

Could be a lot of things. A bad string, or the fact that the low E is usually low tension vs the rest and can end up sounding a little flabbier but that likely wouldn't suddenly change unless you moved to different strings. Other easy to fix things would be checking your EQ. Too much bass and not enough mids can cause the low E to lose it's full powerful sound. The next thing I would do would be to mess around with the pickup height and the action. Make sure your low E is ringing clearly and not rattling against the frets. Also check and lubricate the contact points at the bridge and nut with some like pencil graphite. Then move on to adjusting the side of the pickups under the E up towards the string a little bit at a time.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Are those the same strings that originally came with the bass? If so time to change them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The core might have broken

e- well you know, got damaged

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 29, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It is weird living in a parallel universe where Squiers are not universally poo poo and I just bought one and will be playing it in public without fear of being made fun of by other professionals.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I recently went to a Guitar Center before a show and ended up in a conversation with a fella in which I basically did work for them. He wanted to choose a bass for gigging with a church group, and he liked what I was playing so figured he'd take my word for it, so I sold him on the VMJ, though I did tell him neglected to say it'd be better to just shop used. I didn't want to be that guy (read:anyone) who says "gently caress this joint;" they may be corporate zombie, but I still sympathize for them, and the bass would be good, anyway.

Long story short, VMJs will bring the world's bassists together.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

DrChu posted:

Are those the same strings that originally came with the bass? If so time to change them.

No I change my strings often. It's the same with a new set. It sound flat when unplugged to so I'm thinking it has something to do with the bridge, changing the saddle maybe.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 30, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I rewired my new Jazz bass series instead of parallel tonight and it owns.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rio posted:

It is weird living in a parallel universe where Squiers are not universally poo poo and I just bought one and will be playing it in public without fear of being made fun of by other professionals.

i own this exact same kind and I absolutely love it. gently caress paying more for a special name on it

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

rio posted:

I rewired my new Jazz bass series instead of parallel tonight and it owns.

Wire it with a switch or push-pull for max ownage.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
How good are the G&L Tribute basses? I should be able to get a new Tribute SB-2 with a buddy's work discount (hopefully I will find out about pricing tonight), and that looks like a good option for a fairly cheap gigging bass with a P pickup. They only carry the Tribute line of G&L models, but they do carry Fender and Squier so those could also be an option... However, I've heard enough G&L SB-2 praise in this thread to ask about that first.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They're really good!

If they carry Squier, though, I'd potentially go for a Squier Vintage Modified P or PJ instead, and take the extra cash savings to get a good pickup and bridge.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're really good!

If they carry Squier, though, I'd potentially go for a Squier Vintage Modified P or PJ instead, and take the extra cash savings to get a good pickup and bridge.

The trouble with Squier is how they can be hit-or-miss, and due to the discount thing I don't think I could perpetually exchange instruments until I find a good one. If I wasn't using a discount, I would absolutely consider a Squier if I could hold it in my hands prior to purchase.

I would be able to get a new Tribute SB-2 for just under $500 US through this deal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Squier VM70s I bought off of Amazon is the best bass I own beating out an $1,800 EBMM bass I used to have. Not saying you're wrong by any means but as long as the return policy is good I don't think buying blind is a bad idea at all.

All of my favorite instruments were blind purchases actually. Kinda strange.

e: misinterpreted you any way, oops

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I was expecting to buy a VM Squier shortly until I chatted with this guy at my last gig and he offered to let me use his discount - I didn't think I could get a new G&L for under $500 which is the most I'd like to spend on a cheap gig bass, but since I can hit that budget with the deal I'm leaning towards the SB-2 right now.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Wire it with a switch or push-pull for max ownage.

Yeah that is the plan ultimately. I wanted to do it now though since I don't have the part and just did it to see how it would sound. Back before I sold my '97 American Standard Jazz I wish I did it too - such a big sound improvement. I am going to do the push pull just out of principle but I don't really foresee using it in parallel because the tone is just so much better. And I still have independent volume control. My initial worry was that the wirings I was finding killed one of the two volume pots but I ended up getting it to work so that when both pickups are on I am in series and I still have volume control for both pickups. I'm glad I did this before going down the pickup replacement rabbit hole.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rio posted:

I ended up getting it to work so that when both pickups are on I am in series and I still have volume control for both pickups. I'm glad I did this before going down the pickup replacement rabbit hole.

Do you have a wiring diagram link for this? I ended up telling the guy I'll buy the G&L, but I know I will be purchasing a Squier J eventually and that mod sounds like a great idea.

I can't get another n+1 bass until I upgrade cab drivers though... I'm upgrading my cab's Eminence S2012 drivers to Kappalite 3012LF. Triple the power handling, double the voltage handling, and way more volume displacement means I should get a solid +6dB output from an already awesome cab - or the same effect as building a second rig identical to my current one and running both :getin:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yup
I had the input grounded already and some other grounds from the bridge and two from the pickup cavities but I did all of this and left the extra grounds and it worked just fine. There were also already the standard 250k pots in there so I am not using 500k ones.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Science Goy posted:

How good are the G&L Tribute basses? I should be able to get a new Tribute SB-2 with a buddy's work discount (hopefully I will find out about pricing tonight), and that looks like a good option for a fairly cheap gigging bass with a P pickup.

You won't be sorry. It takes a little getting used to, but with good strings and judicious use of the bridge pickup volume you can have clank and spank to spare. And a Squire VM 70's Jazz is great for the other tones later. Sounds like you have the rig to match as well.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

When your B3K is too brutal for your R&B band...

Nice to have both to swap out as needed. The VMT can get to about 80% of where the B3K can, but is capable of being much more subtle.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I really like my VMT. I got to sit down and play a little bit today for the first time since I broke my arm a few weeks back. Man it felt good to get some notes out.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Fellow VMT owner, by far my favorite pedal. My band is a pretty traditional cover band and I use it to beef up the grief on some of our stuff that turns heavier. Especially since we only have one guitarist, it really fills out when he's up soloing. Fantastic pedal.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have had a week or so with the new Squier and, particularly after wiring it series while still retaining independent volume controls and putter my flats on it (as god intended), it is so drat good. Cover up the headstock and I wouldn't ever guess it was a Squier - it sounds and plays better than my old '97 American Standard Jazz. I had the first musical rehearsal - I got called to play Hairspray so it has a nice mix of old rock, funky stuff and some jazz and it just completely owns everything. I am playing it through a Behringer VB1 to use the direct out for the PA and it is a really nice combo (it is a vintage bass amp emulator). Since hearing how nice that combo sounded I am also using it in front of my amp with that bass now. I got it just for this musical to have a low B string but I sure am going to use it a lot more than just this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I was on vacation and passed by a used instrument store...went directly for the wall of basses, started drooling even though I don't even really know anything beyond my gsr200 and what a squier looks like. Ugh why do I want more instruments when I barely play mine enough already.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Right there with ya. I was all set to pull the trigger on something new. I haven't even decided what the new bass would even be yet. But I've managed to exert some self control and convince myself perhaps it's better to wait and improve my skills so I can appreciate something higher end more when I do commit.

Still... now I'm just looked at pedals...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I was on vacation and passed by a used instrument store...went directly for the wall of basses, started drooling even though I don't even really know anything beyond my gsr200 and what a squier looks like. Ugh why do I want more instruments when I barely play mine enough already.

Soarer posted:

Right there with ya. I was all set to pull the trigger on something new. I haven't even decided what the new bass would even be yet. But I've managed to exert some self control and convince myself perhaps it's better to wait and improve my skills so I can appreciate something higher end more when I do commit.

Still... now I'm just looked at pedals...

I don't think you're ever going to make that jump if that's the way you're looking at it. I was in that exact mindset when I was playing around on a GSR200 through a line 6 practice amp. After a lot of looking around, I ended up with a MiM fender p-bass and over the next week I noticed that I'd gone from playing half an hour every couple of days to an hour or more a day. Go around and play like 20+ different basses through different amps at different stores. There's every chance you're going to click with one, take it home, and then you'll improve your skills faster because you'll pick it up a shitload more because (one or more of) it feels nicer, it plays better, it sounds better, it looks cooler, it's more comfortable.

I loved that gsr200 and I played it for years. But there can be a shitload of a difference between the cheap bass you bought before you played bass and something in the range of a higher end squier / lower end fender. You'll notice it if you go and play some different stuff.

And yeah, play some different stuff. I didn't think the fender/squier type basses would be my thing, but they really are. They might not be for you. That doesn't mean that your "skills aren't good enough to appreciate them", it means they're not your thing and that's OK, maybe your thing is a thunderbird style thing, or a nicer ibanez, or one of those weird 80s looking headless things with nearly no body, or gently caress it even one of those ukulele sized basses that I want to love but can't. You won't know until you go play them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I don't think you're ever going to make that jump if that's the way you're looking at it. I was in that exact mindset when I was playing around on a GSR200 through a line 6 practice amp. After a lot of looking around, I ended up with a MiM fender p-bass and over the next week I noticed that I'd gone from playing half an hour every couple of days to an hour or more a day. Go around and play like 20+ different basses through different amps at different stores. There's every chance you're going to click with one, take it home, and then you'll improve your skills faster because you'll pick it up a shitload more because (one or more of) it feels nicer, it plays better, it sounds better, it looks cooler, it's more comfortable.

I loved that gsr200 and I played it for years. But there can be a shitload of a difference between the cheap bass you bought before you played bass and something in the range of a higher end squier / lower end fender. You'll notice it if you go and play some different stuff.

And yeah, play some different stuff. I didn't think the fender/squier type basses would be my thing, but they really are. They might not be for you. That doesn't mean that your "skills aren't good enough to appreciate them", it means they're not your thing and that's OK, maybe your thing is a thunderbird style thing, or a nicer ibanez, or one of those weird 80s looking headless things with nearly no body, or gently caress it even one of those ukulele sized basses that I want to love but can't. You won't know until you go play them.

Nah, you don't understand; I play the viola in a community orchestra and have a 2 year old and have like no time to play bass. It's not the instrument, it's me. :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Nah, you don't understand; I play the viola in a community orchestra and have a 2 year old and have like no time to play bass. It's not the instrument, it's me. :v:

I totally misunderstood what you wrote, sorry.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I totally misunderstood what you wrote, sorry.

S'all cool. I mostly keep this thread bookmarked to remind me to pick the thing up every so often. :3:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey y'all. Been really getting into funk and disco lately, which is not only awesome to me but it also it really feels like its a great way to raise my bass game. Gonna jam with a couple of folks in a couple of weeks, we're gonna try to cover Chic's I Want Your Love, Cameo's Candy, and Cheryl Lynn's Gotta Be Real. Practicing my slap bass and watching vids like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95oiQ36aHD4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRFxG-gI1k

Gotta learn what in the hell is chucking btw.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations regarding technique or gear? Just playing on a thunderbird epiphone right now, got a Fuzz Big Muff but don't think it's gonna be much help in this genre.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

There was once, in a small-ish town in German, a viola player whose spot was last chair in his tiny local orchestra. One day, he came across an antique lamp. He rubbed it, as the Germans are wont to do when presented with antique lamps, and a genie popped out, promising 3 wishes.

Being skeptical, but more importantly being practical, the violist's first wish was that he was two times better of a musician than he currently was. The genie snapped his fingers, and the viola player found that he was at rehearsals... and he was first-chair viola! He played that night's show and even had a short solo. Then he called to the genie--make me 10 times a better musician!

Poof! Now the man was dressed in a tux, and was the guest soloist and conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra! He played his rear end off, pulling off tricks that he never thought humanly possible, and conducted the symphony so well that there was not a dry eye in the house. Then he called to the genie--make me 100 times better than I am right now!!!

Poof! His tux was gone. He was back in his little German town's orchestra's rehearsal hall. At first, he was confused, but then he picked up his viola case. Except it wasn't a viola case.

He was now last chair violin in his original orchestra!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bass nerds:

Pedal companies seem to love to make "amp in a can" preamp pedals these days. Sansamp has been doing it for ages, of course. Anyone know of a company doing an Ampeg V4 in a pedal? They make a Scrambler but I'm specifically looking for the V4 magic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tarlibone posted:

There was once, in a small-ish town in German, a viola player whose spot was last chair in his tiny local orchestra. One day, he came across an antique lamp. He rubbed it, as the Germans are wont to do when presented with antique lamps, and a genie popped out, promising 3 wishes.

Being skeptical, but more importantly being practical, the violist's first wish was that he was two times better of a musician than he currently was. The genie snapped his fingers, and the viola player found that he was at rehearsals... and he was first-chair viola! He played that night's show and even had a short solo. Then he called to the genie--make me 10 times a better musician!

Poof! Now the man was dressed in a tux, and was the guest soloist and conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra! He played his rear end off, pulling off tricks that he never thought humanly possible, and conducted the symphony so well that there was not a dry eye in the house. Then he called to the genie--make me 100 times better than I am right now!!!

Poof! His tux was gone. He was back in his little German town's orchestra's rehearsal hall. At first, he was confused, but then he picked up his viola case. Except it wasn't a viola case.

He was now last chair violin in his original orchestra!

Yes, my distinct lack of skill is also a barrier to picking up bass. I *am* first chair, at least. :v:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bass nerds:

Pedal companies seem to love to make "amp in a can" preamp pedals these days. Sansamp has been doing it for ages, of course. Anyone know of a company doing an Ampeg V4 in a pedal? They make a Scrambler but I'm specifically looking for the V4 magic.

Sansamp's VT Bass does a pretty good job of simulating both a B-15 and the SVT, I can't say it will specifically do the V4 for you. But, as I recall, the V4 and SVT were fairly similar, tonewise.

Shageletic posted:

Gotta learn what in the hell is chucking btw.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations regarding technique or gear? Just playing on a thunderbird epiphone right now, got a Fuzz Big Muff but don't think it's gonna be much help in this genre.

Chucking is when you grip your hand, like you're holding a pick, then plec with your index finger. You hit downstrokes with the nail, and upstrokes with the pad of fingertip, so it provides some differentiation in the tone when you do alternate picking with a little palm muting to keep the harmonics off. That first video of yours was a fairly good example, the second one was just a little too inconsistent. Edwards also did it much faster and more aggressively, his finger tips must have been awfully worn.

I'd like to know what era of funk you guys prefer to go after before you invest in anything. While a lot of old-school funk has that sort of Motown bass tone that uses flatwound strings and Ampeg tube amps with a lot of muting and treble rolloff, you had mentioned Cameo who was from the more modern funk era of bright, hi-fi basswork that is much more slap-centric. I would say either would suit your Thunderbird fine, for the time being; but pertain more to your choice of strings and amplifier. Granted, the former can be feasibly duplicated with a modern rig, using proper EQ and compression.

And, the obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

While a lot of old-school funk has that sort of Motown bass tone that uses flatwound strings and Ampeg tube amps with a lot of muting and treble rolloff,

This is my go-to warm-up funk tune. I pretty much built my tone around it for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc8g41fB28k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Meters tunes are awesome for learning funk.