Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

M42 posted:

sounds like it's going to eat the world.

Wait you're talking about your SV still right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

So, I've always just browsed AI, but a few months ago I celebrated 2 years of sobriety and decided that I was finally going to do something I've always wanted to do. I went and took the MSF down here in Georgia and scoured Craigslist for my first bike. On a Friday, this beauty popped up and I went and picked it up that Sunday. It's a 1992 Honda CBR600F2 that's been turned into a 'street fighter'. The fairings have all been removed, the headlight is total junk, there's cut wires everywhere and the handlebars are just a tiny bit bent. It looks like it's been dropped more than a few times in it's life and has 2 tiny tears in the seat. The taillight is barely secured and likes to fall out on hard acceleration. The flat black spray job is faded and chipping off in a bunch of places and it has no mirrors. The odometer is perpetually stuck at 36,000 miles. The speedometer is the only gauge and is off by about 15mph.

I loving love it. I paid $700 for this thing and it was worth every penny. I've got service records for it going back to 2013, it's got new tires, a new battery and a new chain as of a few months ago. The carbs were also jetted out back in June of 2014. The parts and labor for that were more than what I paid for the bike. It's so much fun. I just wish there were more curvy roads in south east Georgia. Everything around here is just straight. I could drive to Alabama and only have to make 2 turns. Also, I've worked on my own cars all my life, since I was 13. I've never done maintenance on a bike and have absolutely no idea what it entails. I've already changed the plugs out, which was interesting but not too difficult. Beyond that? I have no idea what I'm doing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Put a fender on that thing drat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Loud fans save lives.

Because I love Erik.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Because I love Erik.

I heard my friends Buell fan and it sounded like a 22RE. All click and clatter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you sure that was the fan and not the engine?

That fan's probably seen better days if it doesn't just sound like Dyson Airblade.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

I loving love it.

Cool! At that price, you can afford some learning mistakes. You can even tally up the times you drop it with a piece of chalk on the tank!

Z3n posted:

Sure it wasn't just a steady trickle of parts falling off?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Put a fender on that thing drat.

And a headlight that isn't so goddamn terrible looking, jesus.

Z3n posted:

Don't be insulting. One is a noisy, crude, gutless, thirsty lump of obsolescence. The other's probably the best petrol hilux engine Toyota ever made.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
After a stint riding and screwing around with mopeds I bought my brother's hand me down old Honda dual-sport as a learner bike as he just picked up a brand new DR-Z400SM.

It's a 1987 Honda XL250R, bought for someone in the original owner's family, hardly used, and then stored away inside for the majority of the past 20+ years until my bro spotted it parked in a driveway in the "for sale" position and after a couple days just stopped by and made an offer. I registered it right around 700 miles at the end of March after getting my permit and it s now approaching 2,500mi

All it needed shortly after he bought it was a new CDI, the dual carbs were rebuilt while trying to figure out why it wasn't running right (CDI), and then given a good lookover/shakedown last year at the local Honda shop while getting a sticker. With it in my hands it's now wearing a fresh set of Kenda K761s in place of the originals so it could pass inspection. My intention beyond getting experience with street riding is to just leave it stock and all original (ok maybe have a few plastic bits repainted, and perhaps cover up a few blemished areas with stickers), and just use it as my local means of solo transportation and ride into the office at least half the week - and if all goes well roll the odometer up to 10,000+ miles by the end of the Summer (dino Rotella T 15W40 and OEM filter changes at ~1,000mi intervals sounds like a real good idea with the RFVC motor and how I've been working it so far).

I've put on close to 2,000mi already since getting it at the beginning of Spring, piece by piece acquired a pretty decent set of gear that is appropriate for the riding I will mostly be doing, and so far so good. I love the thing and once up to proper temp it sounds incredible going through the gears for an old single that is 100% stock.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Mariana Horchata posted:

After a stint riding and screwing around with mopeds I bought my brother's hand me down old Honda dual-sport as a learner bike as he just picked up a brand new DR-Z400SM.

It's a 1987 Honda XL250R, bought for someone in the original owner's family, hardly used, and then stored away inside for the majority of the past 20+ years until my bro spotted it parked in a driveway in the "for sale" position and after a couple days just stopped by and made an offer. I registered it right around 700 miles at the end of March after getting my permit and it s now approaching 2,500mi

All it needed shortly after he bought it was a new CDI, the dual carbs were rebuilt while trying to figure out why it wasn't running right (CDI), and then given a good lookover/shakedown last year at the local Honda shop while getting a sticker. With it in my hands it's now wearing a fresh set of Kenda K761s in place of the originals so it could pass inspection. My intention beyond getting experience with street riding is to just leave it stock and all original (ok maybe have a few plastic bits repainted, and perhaps cover up a few blemished areas with stickers), and just use it as my local means of solo transportation and ride into the office at least half the week - and if all goes well roll the odometer up to 10,000+ miles by the end of the Summer (dino Rotella T 15W40 and OEM filter changes at ~1,000mi intervals sounds like a real good idea with the RFVC motor and how I've been working it so far).

I've put on close to 2,000mi already since getting it at the beginning of Spring, piece by piece acquired a pretty decent set of gear that is appropriate for the riding I will mostly be doing, and so far so good. I love the thing and once up to proper temp it sounds incredible going through the gears for an old single that is 100% stock.

Can't get enough of this bike.

I hope you bought a set of these to go with it

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Tell your brother to watch out for mailboxes. That bike is dangerous around them.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Minkee posted:

Can't get enough of this bike.

I hope you bought a set of these to go with it

Well boots and some kevlar jeans are next on my gear buying checklist so show me where I can actually get those and I just might.

Sorry I'm new here so I dont get the joke about the DRZ and mailboxes though. He's "too busy" to ride it though anyways...which I call BS on, I haven't even seen him on it yet.

Meanwhile I will be riding the XL today until I lose feeling in my left hand.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mariana Horchata posted:

Well boots and some kevlar jeans are next on my gear buying checklist so show me where I can actually get those and I just might.

Sorry I'm new here so I dont get the joke about the DRZ and mailboxes though. He's "too busy" to ride it though anyways...which I call BS on, I haven't even seen him on it yet.

One of the other DRZ Bros took out a mailbox on the ride home with his shiny new bike. It wasn't his only crash that day.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chichevache posted:

One of the other DRZ Bros took out a mailbox on the ride home with his shiny new bike. It wasn't his only crash that day.

To be fair, I believe he actually took out the mailbox with his head, the bike was merely the propulsion device.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
*edit* moved to proper thread

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mariana Horchata posted:

You only really interact with a bike through your feet and hands. Proper gear makes everything so much better.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Out for a ride in the Texas hill country.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EX250 Type R posted:

You only really interact with a bike through your feet and hands. Proper gear makes everything so much better.

This is so true. I drove the 300 yesterday after an oil change around the block without gear on and it was incredible, mostly due to the lack of gloves. Now I'm looking to replace my $75 gloves with something better.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

revmoo posted:

This is so true. I drove the 300 yesterday after an oil change around the block without gear on and it was incredible, mostly due to the lack of gloves. Now I'm looking to replace my $75 gloves with something better.
I'll never understand people who *like* riding without gloves. The throttle feels tiny and unwieldy without them in my hands. I much prefer using gloves.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's like using a condom imho. I guess the difference is I wear my gloves.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

I'll never understand people who *like* riding without gloves. The throttle feels tiny and unwieldy without them in my hands. I much prefer using gloves.

Same. I can't stand riding without my gloves, yet my friend never wears his. The bars just feel so tiny!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Are you on a road trip or something? Just wondering what all the luggage is for.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Are you on a road trip or something? Just wondering what all the luggage is for.

It's around 400 miles from where I live to where the picture was taken. We were doing a test run for moto-camping and doing a 3 week national park/western US tour. Not having side bags makes it look like a lot more luggage than it really is, my hope is to drop the top case entirely and use side bags and just one of the tail bags on the longer trip. That top case is really convenient but it's like a loving sail in the wind.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Schroeder91 posted:

Same. I can't stand riding without my gloves, yet my friend never wears his. The bars just feel so tiny!

The same happens when I wear my summer gloves. Tiny bars! :3:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Riding missing any gear at all feels weird.

Rode to Mendocino forest, definitely going back for some moto camping.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's around 400 miles from where I live to where the picture was taken. We were doing a test run for moto-camping and doing a 3 week national park/western US tour. Not having side bags makes it look like a lot more luggage than it really is, my hope is to drop the top case entirely and use side bags and just one of the tail bags on the longer trip. That top case is really convenient but it's like a loving sail in the wind.

This might be the California in me but I prefer the stacked luggage you have than side bags any day of the week.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Mariana Horchata posted:

You should put a pipe and a flatslide carb on it. My roommate has a 1979 XL500 with a 12:1 Wiseco piston, an FMF Powercore 4, and an FCR39MX from a Polaris outlaw. It's hilariously fun.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

Is that a Futura? How do you like it so far? I came close to getting one, got a Ninja 1000 instead.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

elsanto posted:

Is that a Futura? How do you like it so far? I came close to getting one, got a Ninja 1000 instead.

Nope, it's a VFR800. I really like it though. Looking at pictures of the Futura I can see how you'd get confused, they look ridiculously similar.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Yerok posted:

You should put a pipe and a flatslide carb on it. My roommate has a 1979 XL500 with a 12:1 Wiseco piston, an FMF Powercore 4, and an FCR39MX from a Polaris outlaw. It's hilariously fun.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure it would be fun as all hell with all that but this thing is getting nothing but miles and maintenance. I'd rather be riding it all season long with it running exactly as intended than have it out of service torn apart/waiting on parts...learned that lesson already with modified cars in the past and of course my kitted moped. Plus the properly functioning dual carb set up on the RFVC engine owns and sounds awesome for an old 250cc single, especially once up to temp...27hp ain't too bad on a beginner bike that weights little more than 250lbs dry so I'm certainly not dissatisfied with the power output. I also have no issue keeping the stock exhaust as is either despite having an old aftermarket pipe sitting around that just needs a flange to fit on, I already feel like I draw enough attention to myself anyways when riding around.

Went riding all through Lovecraft Country with the bro on his DRZ400SM last weekend. He's only put 200mi on it, while I've done about 2000mi on the Honda (and we but put the bikes on the road right around the same time, his brand new - mine with ~700mi). I warned him about mailboxes and told him to buy some drat gear, he was riding in his Snell SA track day helmet and a sweatshirt and though he was all good. The best part was that I got 70-80mpg the whole time, whereas he later told me his bike began to sputter out on his trip back home and had to make a quick switch over to reserve while on I95. The 2015 DRZ-SM is a fantastic looking bike though.

EX250 Type R posted:

Totally agree and my next purchases will be covering those parts. Yesterday it was 80+ in the Boston area and just about everyone I noticed on two wheels was wearing a short sleeve and a brainbucket. Here I was wearing an insulated, all season armored textile jacket and SM style full face helmet and was only slightly covered in sweat by the time I made it home 45min later.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Mariana Horchata posted:

Went riding all through Lovecraft Country with the bro on his DRZ400SM last weekend. He's only put 200mi on it, while I've done about 2000mi on the Honda (and we but put the bikes on the road right around the same time, his brand new - mine with ~700mi). I warned him about mailboxes and told him to buy some drat gear, he was riding in his Snell SA track day helmet and a sweatshirt and though he was all good. The best part was that I got 70-80mpg the whole time, whereas he later told me his bike began to sputter out on his trip back home and had to make a quick switch over to reserve while on I95. The 2015 DRZ-SM is a fantastic looking bike though.

Let me know when you're ready to sell that XR, I'd be very interested. And if your bro needs a dirt wheels for his DRZ I have a set ready to go (bike was stolen with SM wheels on it) and I'm just down here in Providence.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Are you a Sox fan Mariana

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

EX250 Type R posted:

Are you a Sox fan Mariana

No i couldnt give a poo poo less about boston sports teams.

cheesebot posted:

Let me know when you're ready to sell that XR, I'd be very interested. And if your bro needs a dirt wheels for his DRZ I have a set ready to go (bike was stolen with SM wheels on it) and I'm just down here in Providence.

It's an XL250R though not and 'XR', basically a dialed down factory street legal XR as far as I know. And my bro's DRZ will likely never see any dirt, as far as I know if it's going to just be an urban blaster, but I'll casually ask anyways and let you know if there is interest.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Absolutely shameful.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
woah woah woah, i want dirt wheels for my drz400sm

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Travelin in New Mexico.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Razzled posted:

woah woah woah, i want dirt wheels for my drz400sm

DRZ400SM + Dirt Wheels = Stupid Fun!

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Watsabi posted:

DRZ400SM + Dirt Wheels = Stupid Fun!

Agreed

I don't really want to deal with shipping the wheels, though, at this point which is why I offered them up to a "local".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Isn't a supermoto with dirt wheels on it just... a dirt bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
cheesebot sell me wheels