Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
my friends at GST winning time attack last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Mb8DGvKAU

this is the car:

they even put on my stickers:

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wore flannel while driving my Subaru today. Feels good man.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The whole oil anaylis thing is a load of ridiculous anal retentive crap that is exactly like camber curves CITATION NEEDED. Mobil 1 isn't going to eat your loving engine. It's not a oil for racing either so if you are going to cane the crap out of it on a track go better.

PaladinXT posted:

Good point on the immoblizer. Was the stock turbo just that crappy? I put only Mobil-1 full synth 5W-30 in it. I am exceptionally hard on cars. I broke the crank on a 92 Saturn SL2, last fun car was an 02 Z06 which I drove like I stole it every day, so breaking a turbo wasn't an unexpected surprise.

Where I work, having my car idling unattended would be exceptionally dumb - agreed.

But let me ask this, if I don't install a timer, is idling the car with hood up in my driveway (rural and no-one that doesn't want to get ventilated would touch it) going to be enough to cool it off?

If you saw what I was doing today, believe me what you do on your fun road aint nothing compared to the hammering my car copped and all I did was simply did a cool off and idle down. I didn't even lift the bonnet. Just do a cool off run and idle down, it'll be fine.

Beat my best time around Eastern Creek by 12 seconds today, first time there with the WRX, first time there in 16 years in the dry. What a very nice car to drift at some godawful speed.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PaladinXT posted:

How hard is a turbo timer to install? The end of my drive home is up a fun and winding 1000 foot elevation gain...

Time to host your own Goodwood festival

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

bring a tire probe to your next track day

gains 1/2 degree with 2" of travel. From stock- if you lower the car it's less. So think about what part of the tire you're on with 5-6 degrees of roll.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 24, 2011

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What does a tire probe do?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=193&catid=7

you measure the tire temperature on the ouside, middle, and inside of all four tires.

Depending on how things are, you'll want to change the alignment, spring rates, and/or swaybars to balance things out. Generally after a session you want temps to be even across the tire to a little hot on the inside. If you were to take a stock subaru out on track and measure the tires, you would find that the outsides of the front tires were much much hotter than everything else, indicating that they are doing most of the cornering work. Using all of the tread of all of the tires evenly is obviously going to result in much more overall grip.

On the time attack car using r888s (a dot treaded r-compound), we ended up with 750lb-in f/800r springs, 27/29mm swaybars (yeah, heavier springs and swaybars in the rear), and -3.5f/-2.5r camber to keep the tire temps even. With a sticky street tire you don't need to be quite that extreme, but you still need a good amount of camber and a good amount of roll stiffness to get the most out of the tires.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 25, 2011

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Getting USDM STi springs from Jamal. The dirty impreza guys love STi springs with tokico D-specs. I'm looking at them, but drat the price jumped on them from the last time I checked.

Jamal, Cat Terrorist? D-Specs the way to go with STi springs? I do autox/rallycross/logging road bombing runs. My stock springs are shot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
D Specs are discontinued which might explain the jump. When you could still buy them new they were half the price of Koni refits so you might want to look at the Yellows again (I'm happy with mine but need better setup advice for a wagon).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

for on-road use only I'd say the konis. They don't hold up so well to offroading.

I didn't know the d-specs were discontinued, only that they went up in price. They were $600 (same as konis), now $850. But check the classifieds in nasioc I saw a set of new d-specs for $600 recently.

It's too bad these aren't a little cheaper:

http://odib.web.officelive.com/Feal.aspx

And there's always the KYB AGX

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 25, 2011

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Looks like I'm ordering D-specs once my next paycheck hits. Stupid cars stealing all my money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm actually not 100% sure the D-Specs are discontinued but they suddenly disappeared from a lot of the places that I would normally buy such things around the same time people were saying they were discontinued.

The Tokico website says they still make them, and I know a few people who have bought new sets recently, but it seems like it's hard to find them and/or the supply is limited. AGXs seem like a good alternative but I don't know anyone with them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_479_43_134_1063&products_id=544

and write something in the comments box like "jamal says you'll put toys and candy in with my order and you owe him a referral fee. and also he says your car is slow."

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

What does a tire probe do?

Nothing that a good set of eyes wont achieve - the grains on my tyres told a very good story. I was running initially far too high tyre pressures, dropped 8 psi and then another 1 on the next run. The fourth run simply showed exactly what I know already, the stock car needs castor / camber on the front desperately - which is next after I re-learn the track because frankly I have 2-3 seconds in it by just taking better lines. Which the small sway bar runners seem to have been doing, the gentleman pulling 1:44 with a stock engine did exactly what I want to do.

Funny how the small sway bar folks are getting the fast times, but I guess they understand that you don't use sway bars to fix alignment issues, you use them to tune the car's final balance - which is why a car running a full 120Kw less than the "quick" cars could be 5 seconds quicker.

Then after that is the whole get the best bushes for the suspension possible so the step after that works as well as possible.

Interesting to note the DS5000's survived but I seem to be using the brakes an awful lot less than anyone.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_479_43_134_1063&products_id=544

and write something in the comments box like "jamal says you'll put toys and candy in with my order and you owe him a referral fee. and also he says your car is slow."

If I'm trying to get a good deal wouldn't ball busting TIC be a bad idea... Just sayin...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I guess you could leave out the part about the referral fee.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

More advise I'm soliciting, you people have been awesome. (I hope I can solve one of your problems one day!)

I'm finished with Stage 2. My local subie tuner told me it's time to get into suspension before we go further on hp.

What do I need to do to a '10 STI Hatchback to make her handle a little better? There's a definite understeer when I hit a corner at higher speeds. Definitely going adjustable shocks so I can drive on the street and the track. (Can I adjust my own shocks without a lift, or do I need to take it to the shop do get it done?)

Speed shop wants to do sway bars and adjustable shocks. Other friends have recommended anti-lift kit, and some kind of arm? (I have no idea what I'm talking apart, I just know how to drive the thing)

Anyone got a good suspension FAQ for STI's somewhere? Would love to know its weaknesses before I proceed. Advice welcome!

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub
So, got a new one, none of my local friends (who aren't really "car guys" to be honest) have been any help.

2008 2.5i, with the headlights on, left blinker acts like a bulb is out (fast blink). With the headlights off it acts fine about 90% of the time, sometimes if I turn on the signal when braking it does the fast blink, but not always. I've checked and all the bulbs appear to be in working order, someone has said maybe it's a ground problem, someone else has said maybe a relay. I'm stumped and hoping for some guidance. :-\

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Flu Roo posted:

Anyone got a good suspension FAQ for STI's somewhere? Would love to know its weaknesses before I proceed. Advice welcome!

Lot's of info on NASIOC
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171928

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Flu Roo posted:

More advise I'm soliciting, you people have been awesome. (I hope I can solve one of your problems one day!)

I'm finished with Stage 2. My local subie tuner told me it's time to get into suspension before we go further on hp.

What do I need to do to a '10 STI Hatchback to make her handle a little better? There's a definite understeer when I hit a corner at higher speeds. Definitely going adjustable shocks so I can drive on the street and the track. (Can I adjust my own shocks without a lift, or do I need to take it to the shop do get it done?)

Speed shop wants to do sway bars and adjustable shocks. Other friends have recommended anti-lift kit, and some kind of arm? (I have no idea what I'm talking apart, I just know how to drive the thing)

do you have a budget?
how often are you going to be tracking the car?
what kind of shocks is the shop recommending?
what do you expect to be adjusting between the street and track?

Krobar posted:

So, got a new one, none of my local friends (who aren't really "car guys" to be honest) have been any help.

2008 2.5i, with the headlights on, left blinker acts like a bulb is out (fast blink). With the headlights off it acts fine about 90% of the time, sometimes if I turn on the signal when braking it does the fast blink, but not always. I've checked and all the bulbs appear to be in working order, someone has said maybe it's a ground problem, someone else has said maybe a relay. I'm stumped and hoping for some guidance. :-\

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2174949

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

jamal posted:

do you have a budget?
how often are you going to be tracking the car?
what kind of shocks is the shop recommending?
what do you expect to be adjusting between the street and track?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2174949

Budget, yes. I drop $2000 at a time, maybe once a month till this thing is truly nasty.

Tuning shop recommended: (Quoting his email)

quote:

"A set of street coilovers like the Apex'i NB1 EXVs or the BC Racing BRs are a grand or less and are not so stiff that they can't be run comfortably on the street. Both will offer height adjustment so you can set any ride height you'd like to get you through the daily grind, higher spring rates to take the body roll out of the car and to keep it from squatting too much on launches, and adjustability with the damping to tailor the ride quality to what you like. All for no more than a grand. It is a steal.
You would spend almost that with good springs and good struts like Konis or the like.

Factor in another $300ish in installation and $200 in alignment after the install."

Tracking- Not much to start, but starting to get involved with motorcross (Cones on tarmac, not circuits vs other drivers, at least till I'm better)

Adjustments- I'm hoping to change ride height. Low center of gravity for the track, higher for the roads which are pretty flawed in this area. Don't want to rip up exhaust/body.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I assume you've already addressed tires and brake pads?

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Neither. So far it's just been stage 2- Intake, Catted d/p, cat-back exhaust, Cobb tune specific to my hardware.

Are brake pads an issue? Tires are being addressed once I burn through these half-spent pirelli's.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Flu Roo posted:

Adjustments- I'm hoping to change ride height. Low center of gravity for the track, higher for the roads which are pretty flawed in this area. Don't want to rip up exhaust/body.
You understand that when your raise and lower a car, you need to do a new alignment?

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub

Thanks, following up with those. :)

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

nm posted:

You understand that when your raise and lower a car, you need to do a new alignment?

Looks like I need to pick a happy medium then... definitely not equipped to do that myself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd get a competent custom performance alignment done first before you put any new parts on it. It made an enormous difference with my car.

It won't eliminate understeer, but it will reduce it. After that you can start making more expensive decisions about exactly what you want to build.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

All things equal lowering a car will actually make it handle worse, and an acceptable ride height for track and auto-x use is going to work just fine on the street. Plus changing the ride height will change all the rest of the alignment settings, so once it's set it's really not something you'll be doing all the time.

Most of the super low hellaflush cars you see on the forums flat out wouldn't work for track use without big changes to the suspension.

Same thing goes for damper settings. A lot of coilover marketing touts the ability to adjust the suspension to be soft on the street and stiff on the track. Suspension doesn't actually work that way- there's only a small range of settings that will actually work for that specific car and spring rate.

So, that said, the suspension they've recommended doesn't have good shocks. it's really just cheap, stiff set of suspension more suited toward looking cool with silly wheels.

Spending the extra on either of these is going to be well worth it in the long term:
http://racecompengineering.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=21_25_37_53&products_id=94
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_1057_1076_1530&products_id=1088

and they're both made by good companies that can back up their products.

Alright, so, on to what you should do.

the understeer is there because there's a lack of front end grip. More negative camber in the front will put more of the tread on the road in a corner and help that. I would say start with the ALK, a 22mm adjustable rear bar, and an alignment with more front camber. It's simple, inexpensive, and will make a big difference.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 26, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Ugh. FML.

I'm most of the way through the engine rebuild for my '02 WRX. Ran into an issue which I now really regret:

I reused the washers that go on the six bolts that hold the block together and sit in the cooling passageways. I know you were supposed to replace those, but I was trying to get things done and said 'gently caress it' and just now realized that they're included in my bottom end rebuild gasket set.

Stupid stupid stupid.

The engine is mostly complete now... is it worth tearing the heads off (and putting new headgaskets on I assume) to replace the washers?

loving loving gently caress.

Also, whoever invented this stupid shim/bucket system for valves is retarded. All of my valves are out of spec (120k) and it's like $15/shim.... for 16 valves... That's loving expensive. :wtf:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

All things equal lowering a car will actually make it handle worse, and an acceptable ride height for track and auto-x use is going to work just fine on the street. Plus changing the ride height will change all the rest of the alignment settings, so once it's set it's really not something you'll be doing all the time.

Most of the super low hellaflush cars you see on the forums flat out wouldn't work for track use without big changes to the suspension.

Same thing goes for damper settings. A lot of coilover marketing touts the ability to adjust the suspension to be soft on the street and stiff on the track. Suspension doesn't actually work that way- there's only a small range of settings that will actually work for that specific car and spring rate.

Yeah, I basically set it my coilovers (RCEs) and forget them. Once you find the sweet spot of damping, unless you're much smarter than me, adjustment is a losing battle. And the height adjustably, that's for corner balance. That gets adjusted at most yearly by evil genius racing to account for my ever expanding rear end. They're pretty much at max height once you account for the corner balance. My car looks ridiculous as each corner is varying heights off the ground.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Flu Roo posted:

What do I need to do to a '10 STI Hatchback to make her handle a little better? There's a definite understeer when I hit a corner at higher speeds. Definitely going adjustable shocks so I can drive on the street and the track.

Since Cat Terrist hasn't come around yet, I'll go for him -- get a performance alignment and go to a track day or autocross or something. Get a feel for the car in a more open environment before you start modding the suspension. Sure the stock suspension might be soft, but you won't know just how soft until you threshold brake and turn into a corner.

Of course, if your goal is not to drive fast but simply to have the car feel better for the way you already drive it, then mod away.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Flu Roo posted:

Not STI specific, but GRM did a nice set of tests for different suspension modifications - some of the most drastic ones are the cheapest.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/dialed/

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Based on all your (awesome) input, I think I'm going to just get an alignment and see how she rides. The understeer could have been the driver more than the gear, but I'll be sure of that once I get a lil more skill under my belt. Really appreciate all your input.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those little access panels break off really easily and never quite fit properly again after one good winter. Pull it off, get a decent skid plate and then get used to bolting/unbolting it to do the change.

I played rally driver on some abandoned logging roads in northern wisconsin a few months ago, and while it was some of the most fun driving I've ever done, I was a bit worried about hitting anything that might crack my oil pan.

Anybody have recommendations, or is this just something you have to get fabbed locally?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have the Primitive Fabrications skid plate on my WRX and a locally fabricated one on my OBS. They were about the same price; shipping was the primary incentive behind going local for the second one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Primitive definitely makes some good stuff.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Hey Subaru goons,

I may have the chance soon to test out/possibly buy a used Subie from a friend of mine who's moving out of the country and basically I wanted to see if this vehicle is worth my trouble.

Now here's what I had in mind for it to do, to start off: be a second car and a basic vehicle for light 4x4ing on the most easy flat desert type trails or easy forest ones (I live in Southern California), NOT rock climbing and etc since I don't know how to do that yet anyway. I wanted some old SUV as a beginner's camping/offroading rig to sort of initiate myself into the whole thing and my thoughts with this car are: at least I can maybe try before I buy, and at least I know what issues it has going in.

Here's details of the car itself: it's a 2001 Legacy Outback with about 165,000 on the clock. Not sure of the trim level but it seems a middle of the road type model with no leather, power driver's seat/locks/windows, no moonroof, a CD changer and mid-range looking rims. Its issues: the A/C is flaky (works randomly), the back suspension is creaky over bumps, the front axle is slowly wearing out and needs replacing at some point, and the brakes may need doing soon. Supposedly the engine and trans have been checked by a mechanic and are reasonably solid. All in all, the car's in decent shape despite being passed around between multiple owners.

So, is this car worth checking out, perhaps at least just driving around and checking out? What's a reasonable price to ask my friend for something like this?

Thanks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've got a primative skid. Paul is great to deal with.

Mine needed some massaging to fit, but I've got an oddball car, 2002 RS. Who puts a skid plate on one of those....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Flu Roo posted:

Firstly, do not go to NASIOC. The advice is likely to be godawful and I'm glad no one has said swaybars - SWAYBARS BALANCE CARS THEY DONT FIX ALIGNEMTS and this truly pisses me off about the Subaru community, this crap about camber curves and blah blah needs to loving stop.

Second, the obvious "alignment, learn" has been said. Your car is much quicker than you are and you will be highly surprised how drat good it really is.

Third - the '10 suspension does need a bit of a touch up. It is too soft and a good place would be to start is to look at the '11 for a starting setting, there is a noticeable (altho possibly only local) difference in suspension tune. From my gut feeling, you are looking at a car that can do quite greatly with approx a loss of 2cm in ride height, a 20% stiffening in the front springs with matching shocks and a larger percentage change in the rear (30% is a good start I think). Realign, retest, change as required. There is no denying all Subarus need more castor - I believe on the '10, an offset bush on the front control arms will be the go. That may or may not be the full extent of a Whiteline ALK, but if it isnt then I would be leery, my experience of the ALK has not been positive. On the 06, I'm going to utilise shimming of the control arms, which is what is called the "free castor mod", something not doable on the '10 BUT the same principle applies with the offset bush.

The real problem on the GF shell is that loving rear setup, it's nice and compfy but it has some real issues that the eariler Macpherson strut cars dont have - lack of real travel is one of them. One of the biggest issues is a narrower working range which in reality isnt such a huge problem for tarmac. I would hate to dial in a rear end on dirt tho....

Your brakes are okay, better pads and fluid will help.

After your suspension and good bushes - (sit down here's a shocker) yes get some uprated sway bars, I really dont think the standard ones are crash hot.

Okay, now go back to your car and look at the centre diff controller. Actually you should do this first. Try out the setting - your centre diff is 41:59 (I think, earlier STI's down to 06 are), it is a fixed ratio and all(*) the centre diff does is in a very clever electronic limited slip differential that has clever electronics and hydro pumps that set the amount of allowed front / rear difference in speed ratios (preload) and the manner of how the diff locks and unlocks.

(*) Not all in all honestly, while what the DCCD does is easy to explain once you get all it is is a really trick LSD it's one godawfully complex bit of hardware combined with software that works out what to do based on a bunch of parameters like steering angle, yaw, power applied, brakes, speed and a few other inputs to decide how much to lock the diff and how much preload to apply.

Primer - the two modes easiest to understand is Auto and LOCK, more than likely the only two modes most people will use. Auto allows the computer to decide everything and isn't bad. LOCK is the other extreme where the computer is told to set high preload and the car becomes quite unpleasant to drive around in cruise mode. Give the car lots of stick esp on dirt and int he wet, the car is still nasty in less than experienced hand BUT it becomes a drift machine and hugely effective under lots of power if you know what you are doing. The other settings basically are presets that change the base preload and lock/unlock characteristics. I've never used anything other than Auto or Lock.

Also the other definate improvement is to (If you can, there seems to be a real difference between USA and Aust delivered cars on this) turn the traction control / skid control to off all the time. I have seen how this quite predictably threw STI's into spins when earlier STI's have no issue at the same speed on the same corner. On the MY11 I hooted around in, I found a real improvement in turning the TC off. Actually it was quite an alarming difference and pretty much changed the car from turd to "Hmmm yeah okay, that's plenty not bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Firstly, do not go to NASIOC. The advice is likely to be godawful and I'm glad no one has said swaybars - SWAYBARS BALANCE CARS THEY DONT FIX ALIGNEMTS and this truly pisses me off about the Subaru community, this crap about camber curves and blah blah needs to loving stop.
NASIOC is basically good for buying parts and that's it.