Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

msane
Oct 25, 2007

msane in the membrane
Quick question: Will a VLK/Enterprise install accept a retail product key?

I purchased a copy through Microsoft/Digital River with the student deal, but I haven't been able to get the download link from their site to work. My brother has a volume license disk from his work, but if I install with that will it accept my product key? Or is there a way I can modify the ISO so it will accept it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

What's the best answer for getting Windows 7 Backups to run correctly?

Ever since I've installed this (Win7 Pro Retail - x64) back on the release date, I've never been able to get Backups to finish. They always make it about half-way, and then fail with either an error about the shadow volume copy (0x81000037), or I/O disk problems that don't exist. (0x8007045D)

So far, I've disabled System Restore, disabled my Antivirus, and tried deleting and removing all traces of restore points/backups, and neither the Full System Backup, nor the System Image will complete.

300gb Velociraptor main drive, 750gb Seagate dedicated backup drive, 8gb ram, i7, Gigabyte x58 mobo

Any ideas?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Hey what happened to that handy-dandy Vista button on the taskbar that made all of your open windows minimize? Does 7 have that?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SERPUS posted:

Hey what happened to that handy-dandy Vista button on the taskbar that made all of your open windows minimize? Does 7 have that?

Little rectangle to the RIGHT of your System Clock.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SERPUS posted:

The "show desktop" button is to the right of my taskbar. If you mouseover it shows and if you click it it minimizes everything.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Thank you!

SHUT UP MOM
Oct 13, 2009
Sorry if this has been answered but this is a rather long thread.

One of my birthday presents I'm getting this week is an SSD. I already have a 500GB SATA drive that has Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it. Obviously, the OS is going to be installed on the SSD, along with most of my applications. My question is, other than setting the SATA drive to slave and reinstalling the OS on my SSD, what do I have to do to remove the original installation I have now? Can I simply delete the files or is there more I should do?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
No that's it. Just format the 500GB drive* and job done. You don't need to 'deactivate' or anything like that.

*And remember to back up your poo poo first!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

deadlinguo posted:

I seem to be experiencing some sort of bug or virus. I've installed Windows once. A few weeks after installing (and activating) Windows asked me to activate it again. Then it said something about how my copy may not be genuine. So I activated it again, this time having to call the automated system. A few days later, it's telling me my copy isn't genuine again.

I'm pretty sure mine is genuine, I bought it at Fry's. Has anyone heard about this problem? PS thanks Microsoft for justifying my decision not to pirate your OS.

I'd like an answer for this as well. After two days of running on a fresh install of Ultimate x64 using a Technet key I noticed a funny little icon in my taskbar that was asking me to verify my windows as being genuine. It validated just fine and everything but it was kind of weird.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

SHUT UP MOM posted:

One of my birthday presents I'm getting this week is an SSD. I already have a 500GB SATA drive that has Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it. Obviously, the OS is going to be installed on the SSD, along with most of my applications. My question is, other than setting the SATA drive to slave and reinstalling the OS on my SSD, what do I have to do to remove the original installation I have now? Can I simply delete the files or is there more I should do?
There's no such thing as master or slave with SATA.

What I would recommend doing is disconnecting your 500GB drive before you install Windows, that way you ensure the bootloader is on the SSD. Once the OS is up and running you can shut down to connect the other drive, then double check in the BIOS that it's set to boot from the SSD first.

After that it should be safe to do whatever you want with the drive, there's no need to format as long as you're not booting from it. To delete those files you'll need to take ownership, google can explain it better than I can.

xwonderboyx posted:

I'd like an answer for this as well. After two days of running on a fresh install of Ultimate x64 using a Technet key I noticed a funny little icon in my taskbar that was asking me to verify my windows as being genuine. It validated just fine and everything but it was kind of weird.
If it only asked once, you probably never activated after installation. If it's asking repeatedly you should probably call MS to see if it's a known issue or if there's a problem with your key.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've got a question for an annoyance I've faced since switching to Windows 7.
Every time I start Windows and want to use ventrilo, my microphone doesn't work (it's connected to the mic port on an X-Fi) since it's "Currently Unavailable".
If I want to use it without hearing myself, I have to go into Sound/Playback/Speakers/Levels and un-mute the microphone, this makes the microphone available. Now it works, but I can hear myself. Muting it again doesn't work, I have to open the Volume Mixer in the system tray to turn down the Line-In for some reason.

How can I avoid doing this everytime I want to use my microphone?

SHUT UP MOM
Oct 13, 2009

Swilo posted:

There's no such thing as master or slave with SATA.

What I would recommend doing is disconnecting your 500GB drive before you install Windows, that way you ensure the bootloader is on the SSD. Once the OS is up and running you can shut down to connect the other drive, then double check in the BIOS that it's set to boot from the SSD first.

After that it should be safe to do whatever you want with the drive, there's no need to format as long as you're not booting from it. To delete those files you'll need to take ownership, google can explain it better than I can.

Doh, sorry wasn't thinking straight about master/slave not existing with SATA and the fact that I can just change boot orders. Blame it on a busy day jumping between too much code and hopping servers left and right at work. Thanks for clearing up how dumb I can be.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
this is actually a Vista question but:

how can I get my computer to output directly into the speakers whatever is coming in through the microphone. as in, instead of having to record it then hear it, it just straight jacks into the speakersand i can hear it real time. I got this cool USB turntable that i can record just fine with but i wan tto be able to listen without having to record it. any suggestions? thank you

revolther
May 27, 2008
Something about the phrasing left me very confused as to what you are trying to accomplish, using a USB powered record player to play vinyl i think is the goal, and you have to right click your volume icon select recording devices then properties and there should be a tick box that let's you listen or monitor the input device.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I have tried searching online with little luck. I installed an additional harddrive loaded with music in my desktop, and changed the name of the drive to media. It changed the icon to a blank page look, and i can't figure out how to change it back. Is there an easy way to change icons in Windows 7. Really only interested in changing the harddrive icon back to normal. Thanks.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Flyboy925 posted:

I have tried searching online with little luck. I installed an additional harddrive loaded with music in my desktop, and changed the name of the drive to media. It changed the icon to a blank page look, and i can't figure out how to change it back. Is there an easy way to change icons in Windows 7. Really only interested in changing the harddrive icon back to normal. Thanks.

I'd like to know this too. I had the same problem with various game shortcuts, although they eventually fixed themselves after a few months.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

msane posted:

Quick question: Will a VLK/Enterprise install accept a retail product key?

I purchased a copy through Microsoft/Digital River with the student deal, but I haven't been able to get the download link from their site to work. My brother has a volume license disk from his work, but if I install with that will it accept my product key? Or is there a way I can modify the ISO so it will accept it?

I have a similar but inverse question to this. I am currently happily using the release candidate version 7100. For some reason i thought it worked fully until June but just got the notice that it would start restarting every 2 hours on the 1st of march.

My university offers Windows 7 ultimate for download for free through a software center and vpn. However, I've twice attempted to download it and failed both times due to internet disconnections. I am doing an away elective and will not be back to my school until late April.

I have a key though that was emailed to me. Is there a legal place i can download windows 7 and use the key from my school? Or could i use a more unsavory but resilient to disconnects method to download it but still use my key and be legal?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm just about to go from Vista 32 to 7 64 - what's the best lightweight media player/codec pack combo these days? I always used to use CCCP on new installs, is that still all good?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sloppy posted:

I'd like to know this too. I had the same problem with various game shortcuts, although they eventually fixed themselves after a few months.

What both of you guys want to do is a google search on rebuilding the icon cache. There's a few ways to do it.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have my Windows 7 installation on a regular HD. I bought a SSD and I want to install Windows 7 on it, on the same computer.

Do I have to "deactivate" or do anything before installing Windows 7 on the SSD?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

chippy posted:

I'm just about to go from Vista 32 to 7 64 - what's the best lightweight media player/codec pack combo these days? I always used to use CCCP on new installs, is that still all good?

I use sharks codec pack. Also, use the divx tech preview for mkvs on win 7.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

If you use MPC alone, just use MPC-HC since it includes the codecs like VLC. If you use WMP or WMC, install Shark007 since it's the simplest method to get mkv/h264 working in those.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Swilo posted:

If it only asked once, you probably never activated after installation. If it's asking repeatedly you should probably call MS to see if it's a known issue or if there's a problem with your key.

That's cool. I thought I had checked the "activate next time online" button during installation, but I haven't been asked since.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Casao posted:

If you use MPC alone, just use MPC-HC since it includes the codecs like VLC. If you use WMP or WMC, install Shark007 since it's the simplest method to get mkv/h264 working in those.

I thought H.264 was supported out of the box?

e: Also, if I go with MPC-HC, do I need to use the 32-bit version? Looking at the website it kind of seems like the x64 release is not quite "there" yet in terms of features and I'll have to fall back on MPC-32 for certain video types anyway.

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 23, 2010

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Nevermind, solved

meatpath fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2010

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

e: Also, if I go with MPC-HC, do I need to use the 32-bit version? Looking at the website it kind of seems like the x64 release is not quite "there" yet in terms of features and I'll have to fall back on MPC-32 for certain video types anyway.

In fact, should I just go with VLC? What's the best lightweight, all-supporting solution for video at the moment? I've just been using MPC with the Combined Community Codec Pack for years and I'm a bit out of touch.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

I couldn't get h264 or the mkv container to work out of the box with Media Center via the 360. It might works normally, I just know they didn't for me.

And VLC vs MPC-HC is really just personal preference. I prefer MPC-HC because of how I can set it up, for actual playing they're still both going to work fine. Hell, even WMP works fine now for most things. Pick the one you like best.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Casao posted:

Hell, even WMP works fine now for most things.

My word, things have changed. While we're on the topic of things I am out of touch with, I've just learnt of the existence of Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to get good reviews, is it any better or worse than other free AV software? I'm using Avast at the moment.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

chippy posted:

My word, things have changed. While we're on the topic of things I am out of touch with, I've just learnt of the existence of Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to get good reviews, is it any better or worse than other free AV software? I'm using Avast at the moment.

I used avast for years, but I switched when i went to Windows 7 and I like MSE a lot more, it's more invisible than the others, and doesn't have a godawful interface that looks like a winamp skin from 1995.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It does seem to have very lightweight in terms of resources and intrusion to the user, which is attractive - I want to keep this installation as lean and mean as possible. However if the detection rates are crap compared to the other I'm not interested.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

chippy posted:

It does seem to have very lightweight in terms of resources and intrusion to the user, which is attractive - I want to keep this installation as lean and mean as possible. However if the detection rates are crap compared to the other I'm not interested.

No it's just as good as any of the other free AVs out there, avast is good too, but like you said its more intrusive. I rarely get infected with anything so I prefer my AV to stay behind the scenes and shut the hell up until then.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Xaranx posted:

No it's just as good as any of the other free AVs out there, avast is good too, but like you said its more intrusive. I rarely get infected with anything so I prefer my AV to stay behind the scenes and shut the hell up until then.

Smart browsing is your best defense. Having some sort of protection is just an additional layer for the unforseen. This is why I really like MSSE, it gives me that additional protection in case I accidentally mistype/misclick or get sent something from someone who doesn't browse intelligently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

Pretty sure MSSE's detection rates are above and beyond any competitor. It also has a relatively small footprint.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I have a key though that was emailed to me. Is there a legal place i can download windows 7 and use the key from my school? Or could i use a more unsavory but resilient to disconnects method to download it but still use my key and be legal?

Just make sure you check the hashes against those published by MS. I'm told there's a lot of Win7 ISOs that are full of trojans doing the rounds now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

Just make sure you check the hashes against those published by MS. I'm told there's a lot of Win7 ISOs that are full of trojans doing the rounds now.

Oh what I wouldn't give to see MS running a botnet to do some Patriot Act BS at the behalf of the Feds for dodging multiple accusations of monopoly/unfair practices. Not that I think those disk images are actually deployed by MS, it's just that the RIAA/MPAA were rumored to have put out a lot of crap on Limewire and it would be funny if someone's half-functioning PC was being used to do various nefarious or legally gray poo poo.

msane
Oct 25, 2007

msane in the membrane

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I have a similar but inverse question to this. I am currently happily using the release candidate version 7100. For some reason i thought it worked fully until June but just got the notice that it would start restarting every 2 hours on the 1st of march.

My university offers Windows 7 ultimate for download for free through a software center and vpn. However, I've twice attempted to download it and failed both times due to internet disconnections. I am doing an away elective and will not be back to my school until late April.

Here are public links to the Windows 7 ISOs on Digital River's server. You should try using Free Download Manager (google it) to download the correct version - 64 or 32 bit - for you. FDM will let you resume the download if your connection chokes. I wasn't able to get the download to start on my home internet connection (it would just kill my router, even when I disabled the firewall) but it downloaded fine at work.

You'll then have to delete "ei.cfg" in the "sources" folder of the ISO using UltraISO (or use this tool), save, and burn the modified ISO image. This will give you a prompt after starting the Windows install so you can install the Ultimate version (all versions are on the same DVD). Do a clean install (don't think you can upgrade the RC). Then finally activate it with your product key.

I'm not positive if you can use a Volume License Key with a non-volume disc, but if it doesn't you can email me and I'll try to help. michael dot walz at gmail dot com

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Pretty sure MSSE's detection rates are above and beyond any competitor. It also has a relatively small footprint.

The only thing I tend to dislike about MSSE is that you have to jump through some hoops to answer the question "When did the last automatic virus scan occur?"

I've read that a more-accessible logfile is eventually going to be included in an update.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004
Running Windows 7 64 bit on a new build. ATI 5770 with the 10.2 drivers. Does anyone experience a slight flicker of the text when mousing over items in Explorer right click context menus? I am seeing that slight flicker in various programs, or when highlighting text. Setting Windows 7 to the classic mode gets rid of the context flicker, but I don't like using that.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

deadhoarse posted:

Running Windows 7 64 bit on a new build. ATI 5770 with the 10.2 drivers. Does anyone experience a slight flicker of the text when mousing over items in Explorer right click context menus? I am seeing that slight flicker in various programs, or when highlighting text. Setting Windows 7 to the classic mode gets rid of the context flicker, but I don't like using that.

Very slighty, I had to pay really close attention and put my face right up to the screen to notice it. Just looks like slight redraw delay as the highlighting is switched from on\off. ATI has admitted the 2d gdi drawing functions are not yet complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I want to make every single drat folder in Windows appear as arranged in list form, sorted by type. How do I do this in one fell swoop? Every so often I'll encounter a differently-customized folder for whatever reason and have to do the laborious process of view>list, sort by>type, and folder options>apply to all folders. I just want every folder to look the same, is that so much to ask!