Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

DrBouvenstein posted:

No microcenters nearby, sadly.

In the Recommend a Product thread in PYF, a goon suggested the Corsair K70. If I keep the backlight off, it seems relatively ok. Not sure about those red-colored WASD and 1-6 keys, but it looks like it comes with standard ones and a puller tool?

The K70 is great and the latest update seems to have fixed the backlight issues. At least cobalt's hasn't frozen since then.

The bottom row thing is true, they are non standard, but the keys it comes with are nice double shots.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

so loving future posted:

...even though they are a 'gaming key' whatever that's supposed to mean.

The reason Gamers tend to like Red/Black is because they're supposedly the quietest switch and they won't have to listen to their gamer buddies bitch about the click being picked up by the mic*. That's it. You can game on whatever feels best to you. I've gamed just fine on Blues, Browns and Clears. Back in the 90's, I used to game on a Model M or Dell AT101B (Alps switches).

*of course, if they bottom out and they don't have o rings to dampen the sound, there's still gonna be a bit of a click. I hear Bahroo occasionally when he has to spam keys and I think he uses Blacks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pienipple posted:

The bottom row thing is true, they are non standard, but the keys it comes with are nice double shots.
What? No they're not. They're 1-piece translucent plastic with paint, just like most other backlit keyboards. The only backlit boards that come with doubleshot keys standard are Deck and one or two of the Max line, and possibly some obscure option from Vortex but I think they just sell their doubleshot caps separately.

Corsair keycaps are pretty average. Standard ABS, neither thick nor thin. They're fine. If they were bad and needed to be replaced right away it'd be a problem, but they aren't.

If you want to see cheap keycaps, Cooler Master's backlit boards have really thin plastic in my experience (though the rapid-i may be better). Rosewills are pretty meh as well. But both of those brands are generally sold for less, so you can get a good replacement set and still come out ahead.

TWBalls posted:

The reason Gamers tend to like Red/Black is because they're supposedly the quietest switch and they won't have to listen to their gamer buddies bitch about the click being picked up by the mic*. That's it.
Actually most of the reason is supposed to be that the contact point is easy to ride, so you can send keystrokes fast, or hover on the edge when you want to do something that's kinda analog from key input.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TWBalls posted:

The reason Gamers tend to like Red/Black is because they're supposedly the quietest switch and they won't have to listen to their gamer buddies bitch about the click being picked up by the mic*. That's it. You can game on whatever feels best to you. I've gamed just fine on Blues, Browns and Clears. Back in the 90's, I used to game on a Model M or Dell AT101B (Alps switches).

*of course, if they bottom out and they don't have o rings to dampen the sound, there's still gonna be a bit of a click. I hear Bahroo occasionally when he has to spam keys and I think he uses Blacks.

BZZT. Wrong.

Blacks and Reds are better for gaming because game play often involves holding down or rapidly hitting the same key repeatedly, both of which are better on non tactile switches.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Deviant posted:

BZZT. Wrong.

Blacks and Reds are better for gaming because game play often involves holding down or rapidly hitting the same key repeatedly, both of which are better on non tactile switches.

How are they better? I play games that require holding down or rapidly hitting the same key and have 0 issues on blues/browns/clears.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

TWBalls posted:

How are they better? I play games that require holding down or rapidly hitting the same key and have 0 issues on blues/browns/clears.

Disclaimer: I have never used blacks or reds, but when it comes down to it all that really matters is personal preference. I believe the theory that reds and blacks are better for gaming is because of the small amount of pressure they require to actuate. This small amount of pressure makes it easier to twitch press and should lessen fatigue if you're going to be pressing the same key over and over.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CRAYON posted:

Disclaimer: I have never used blacks or reds, but when it comes down to it all that really matters is personal preference. I believe the theory that reds and blacks are better for gaming is because of the small amount of pressure they require to actuate. This small amount of pressure makes it easier to twitch press and should lessen fatigue if you're going to be pressing the same key over and over.
Blacks require more pressure than any of the other common switches.

TWBalls posted:

You're just not a ~leet gam3r~ enough then.

(I mostly agree, I play games for fun and mostly give no shits about keyboard performance. Even with blues I mostly didn't care, though there it's at least noticeable when it isn't working -- playing an open world game with car driving was pretty bad. I'm sure retro 2d platformers suck extra hard, but I don't play many of those.)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

TWBalls posted:

Browns should be fine - if anything they may double-tap unintentionally due to the actuation point being very close to, if not at, the reset point. Reds and blacks have a very small travel between actuation and reset, it looks like about .1mm from the force graphs on the Internet. Blues have a much larger distance between the actuation and reset point, where they reset something like .7mm higher than the actuation point. Your fingers will have to lift more to double-tap a key successfully.

Personally I don't notice any problems, but I only have a single mech board with Blues.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

linears with O rings are at least as quiet as a scissor switch.

And how do you prevent the noise when the keys are released? I don't buy that anyone can type quickly and quietly with any type of cherry switches.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

Browns should be fine - if anything they may double-tap unintentionally due to the actuation point being very close to, if not at, the reset point. Reds and blacks have a very small travel between actuation and reset, it looks like about .1mm from the force graphs on the Internet. Blues have a much larger distance between the actuation and reset point, where they reset something like .7mm higher than the actuation point. Your fingers will have to lift more to double-tap a key successfully.

Personally I don't notice any problems, but I only have a single mech board with Blues.

Check out this scrub with only one board. I've added 2 to my collection in the past month :smugmrgw:

i need help

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Anyone got feedback on Gamidas Hermes? So far I've only heard good things about it. I'm looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard for ~100€, which means pretty much 100$.

Using Roccat Arvo right now (http://media.roccat.org/img/products/Arvo/thumbnail/all/1200x630-000-100-1_roc-12-500-arvo-760x450.jpg) and it's starting to die on me.

Right now I'm considering Gamidas Hermes and CM Storm Quickfire TK (blue).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the best option for a mx brown TKL? Ideally something like a quickfire TKL with whatever caps are best?

Does anyone make a detachable/discrete media keys board?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 3, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

West007 posted:

Anyone got feedback on Gamidas Hermes? So far I've only heard good things about it. I'm looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard for ~100€, which means pretty much 100$.
Doubt it, most of the people in the thread are more typists than gamers. But it's only available in blue switches? We were just talking about that, blues are not great if you are doing any kind of action games. Otherwise it looks kinda intriguing. Those macro keys below the spacebar, those are the first macro keys I feel would actually be an advantage in games. They'd make the board suck for everything that isn't games, but if games are all you care about...

I have a Quickfire TK, and found it kinda meh in the end. I didn't like how they did the numpad to mimic the insert block & arrow keys when numlock was off, would have preferred it to just stick with the normal numpad pattern. And the way it uses backlighting to indicate numlock state wasn't right to me. Very personal opinion though, I think other people like it that way.

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the best option for a mx brown TKL? Ideally something like a quickfire TKL with whatever caps are best?
A Cooler Master Rapid and then buying a good set of doubleshots or whatever style suits your fancy would work. But brown rapids are out of stock most places, at the moment. A WASD would also work. Deck Francium has PBT keycaps, if you can stand their font (even worse than CM imho). Good deal though.

quote:

Does anyone make a detachable/discrete media keys board?
Nope, there are numpads but not media keys. If you haven't seen them, I keep telling people about WASD's media macros (app/fn + insert block) because they're so much better than up on the F-row. I replicated it with macro software , and now I don't care about dedicated media keys anymore because it's such an easy one-hand combo.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

Doubt it, most of the people in the thread are more typists than gamers. But it's only available in blue switches? We were just talking about that, blues are not great if you are doing any kind of action games. Otherwise it looks kinda intriguing. Those macro keys below the spacebar, those are the first macro keys I feel would actually be an advantage in games. They'd make the board suck for everything that isn't games, but if games are all you care about...

I have a Quickfire TK, and found it kinda meh in the end. I didn't like how they did the numpad to mimic the insert block & arrow keys when numlock was off, would have preferred it to just stick with the normal numpad pattern. And the way it uses backlighting to indicate numlock state wasn't right to me. Very personal opinion though, I think other people like it that way.

It is mostly gaming, I do some typing but nothing substantial. I chose these 2 keyboards to chose from based on what I'm using right now. The Hermes has thumb macro keys which my keyboard has right now and I find them pretty useful. On the other hand, the Quickfire TK seems like a solid keyboard for its price and has the same numpad/arrow keys combo as my keyboard and I prefer it being smaller.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've got a Leopold with MX Browns that I got a few years ago that I use at home and I'm thinking about getting myself a mechanical keyboard to use at work. What's a good, affordable keyboard with MX Blues? I saw that I can get a refurbished Das Keyboard Model S Professional for about $100 off their site, but I wouldn't be surprised if better deals were out there.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I've got a Leopold with MX Browns that I got a few years ago that I use at home and I'm thinking about getting myself a mechanical keyboard to use at work. What's a good, affordable keyboard with MX Blues? I saw that I can get a refurbished Das Keyboard Model S Professional for about $100 off their site, but I wouldn't be surprised if better deals were out there.

Please don't get a keyboard with blues for work if you work in an office with other people. Its a great way to make everyone sitting near you hate you.

Otherwise, what specs are you looking for? TKL or need a numpad? Do they have to be Cherry MX or would you be happy with knock-offs? Need the thing immediately? Hanging out on MassDrop until something matching the specs you want is probably the cheapest method, but not time efficient at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pr0zac posted:

Please don't get a keyboard with blues for work if you work in an office with other people. Its a great way to make everyone sitting near you hate you.

Otherwise, what specs are you looking for? TKL or need a numpad? Do they have to be Cherry MX or would you be happy with knock-offs? Need the thing immediately? Hanging out on MassDrop until something matching the specs you want is probably the cheapest method, but not time efficient at all.

My workplace has private offices. I have an office mate, but he likes keyboard sounds as much as I do and is almost always listening to music through headphones anyway. I still might go for browns instead, just in case he has to make a phone call.

Definitely need a numpad. I have TKL at home, but at work I use my numpad all the time. I don't need it immediately, so I'll keep an eye on MassDrop. I haven't tried switches other than Cherry MX--I take it there are comparable, less expensive alternatives?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Harrow posted:

My workplace has private offices. I have an office mate, but he likes keyboard sounds as much as I do and is almost always listening to music through headphones anyway. I still might go for browns instead, just in case he has to make a phone call.

Definitely need a numpad. I have TKL at home, but at work I use my numpad all the time. I don't need it immediately, so I'll keep an eye on MassDrop. I haven't tried switches other than Cherry MX--I take it there are comparable, less expensive alternatives?

There are Kailh switches that Razer uses, and lately Gateron has been popular. They're ok but don't seem to be massively cheaper than boards that use real Cherry switches. And so far I've only seen them on Razer boards, DIY kits, and boards from small name chinese brands where I wouldn't expect to get much customer service if there was a problem.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pienipple posted:

There are Kailh switches that Razer uses, and lately Gateron has been popular. They're ok but don't seem to be massively cheaper than boards that use real Cherry switches. And so far I've only seen them on Razer boards, DIY kits, and boards from small name chinese brands where I wouldn't expect to get much customer service if there was a problem.

Kailh switches are crap, but I actually prefer Gateron to Cherry for blues. The Gaterons seem a bit lighter and the click is crisper than Cherry - though they don't stand up to Matias for my preference.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

pr0zac posted:

What's worse, being next to someone with MX Blues or being next to someone with a Model M? :unsmigghh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woolie Wool posted:

What's worse, being next to someone with MX Blues or being next to someone with a Model M? :unsmigghh:

Model M. A person with blues might just want something that feels nice to type on.

The model m guy is loving waiting for someone to mention his keyboard so his inner :spergin: can inform the plebes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Model Ms are even nicer to type on than blues though. :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Blue/buckling sprint noise isn't actually that loud, it's just unusual.
Give it a few weeks and nobody will care.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

~Coxy posted:

Blue/buckling sprint noise isn't actually that loud, it's just unusual.
Give it a few weeks and nobody will care.

They're both louder than a freight train when compared to scissor switches, so if everybody else in an open-plan office is using those Apple keyboards you'll probably get a lot of dirty looks. But you'll have a keyboard that isn't poo poo!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

They're both louder than a freight train when compared to scissor switches, so if everybody else in an open-plan office is using those Apple keyboards you'll probably get a lot of dirty looks. But you'll have a keyboard that isn't poo poo!

This is why I'm glad my workplace has private offices. I don't have to care what anyone else thinks about my typing! Plus, the keyboard my office game with--a Logitech k120--isn't exactly the quietest keyboard already. Even if I was in a open office, I'm pretty sure if I brought in a mechanical keyboard with browns, nobody would notice a difference in the noise level at all.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
The lovely deal boards in my office clack just as much as my model m. Sure the model m is louder, but not by much, and it is a much better sound. I've had no complaints (but there's nothing anybody can do about it)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm relatively sure I'm going to want Browns. It will be used mostly for typing, which I've heard means Blues or Greens, but I'm pretty sure the clicking would drive me and my coworkers mad. I remember being young and using IBM Model Ms and hating it, so something "less" than that is my goal. At at some point, I will bring the keyboard home for some light gaming, so there's another strike against Blue/Greens (due to my living situation for the next few months, I have no place to set up my gaming PC).

Browns and clears are also great to type on in my opinion. Personally I prefer clears, and find them a bit quieter than browns because I bottom them out a lot less. Although they are a pretty stiff switch, the resistance really ramps up AFTER the activation point, so as long as you're not bottoming them out all the time, you can still type really lightly on them and they don't tire your hands out.

You might want to consider Browns if you think you'll be gaming a lot on it. I use clears at work and browns at home and I haven't tried gaming on the clears, although I think it would be fine for me personally. I am considering replacing my Filco with browns at home with another CODE with clears at some point.

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So whoever isn't out of stock on the CM quickfire rapids wants $150+ for one, will I be better off with something like a WASD V2 87-Key Custom or Code instead?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

So whoever isn't out of stock on the CM quickfire rapids wants $150+ for one, will I be better off with something like a WASD V2 87-Key Custom or Code instead?

I'd say so. Coolermaster has been popular because they were a cheap and widely available distributor of Costar keyboards. If it is neither cheap nor available, buy something else.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chippy posted:

Browns and clears are also great to type on in my opinion. Personally I prefer clears, and find them a bit quieter than browns because I bottom them out a lot less. Although they are a pretty stiff switch, the resistance really ramps up AFTER the activation point, so as long as you're not bottoming them out all the time, you can still type really lightly on them and they don't tire your hands out.

I've recently got the clears, and I think I like bottoming out (lol) and sometimes I can't tell if I've hit the point and look up and see I have, but if it's cold it's not easy to type with..

Iroincally I took this board into the pharmacy and it was a perfect keyboard for the sort of keyboard control - rather than typing - that we do with the dispensing software

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://techreport.com/news/28415/topre-latest-keyboards-are-colorful-sensitive-to-pressure topre has prototype keyboards with pressure-sensitive keys (think analog vs digital on a console controller) as well as adjustable actuation height

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

echinopsis posted:

I've recently got the clears, and I think I like bottoming out (lol) and sometimes I can't tell if I've hit the point and look up and see I have, but if it's cold it's not easy to type with..

Learn to touch type and this problem vanishes. Also probably alleviates neck soreness.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In a few days my blues board will be in my hand and I will know what I prefer. I back and fowards between clears and browns as prefered, seems to be based on whether my hands are cold or not. When I'm in "the zone" I prefer clears but they feel tough coming from anything else.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So there are Keycool TKL boards on Massdrop with Cherry MX switches in addition to Khail.

$5 extra for Cherry blacks and double that for the others.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Has there ever been any mention from Vortex what the deal is with Pok3r backlighting? They stated in the past that the first batch of Pok3rs is not backlight compatible, but the PCB has the spots and diodes for it and it has working LED indicator lights... why can't I just solder them in?

Asked on /r/mk and basically just got a bunch of :shrug: answers and I can't find any other info.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KingEup posted:

So there are Keycool TKL boards on Massdrop with Cherry MX switches in addition to Khail.
It looks like it belongs in a bronie nerdcave tho.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

evil_bunnY posted:

It looks like it belongs in a bronie nerdcave tho.

It's gonna replace my 60%

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Has there ever been any mention from Vortex what the deal is with Pok3r backlighting? They stated in the past that the first batch of Pok3rs is not backlight compatible, but the PCB has the spots and diodes for it and it has working LED indicator lights... why can't I just solder them in?

Asked on /r/mk and basically just got a bunch of :shrug: answers and I can't find any other info.

Is there a link to the Pok3r schematic somewhere?

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
What's the best budget mechanical keyboard? I'm thinking browns (fine with a Cherry MX knockoff if it functions), because I do not like typing noises. It will be almost exclusively used for typing, maybe gaming occasionally (cities skylines or something, nothing competitive). I type half my stuff on a laptop, so it doesn't have to be really pro, but definitely an upgrade to my logitech deluxe 660.

E: Oh and I'm in the UK so it has to be something with a UK layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Installed those lurid nuclear (or apple) green double-shots on the Das 4, and they look great. No dramas with weird meta key sizes or anything.

A nice set to test the water with. The white legends almost disappear on them, but I'm fine with that, while I can key from memory 99%, I still like having the legends just in case I forget which symbol key is where. If the drop had an option for red or orange (blue and purple aren't eyebleeding enough) I would've bought another set for the modifiers, but I'm going to sleep on that concept.

I got impatient waiting for a keypuller I'd ordered so I fashioned a ghetto version out of some picture wire which worked pretty well. The original caps came off with no problems. In some ways easier than the Logitech membranes I've used up to this point. Replacing the regular keys even more so.

However, I didn't realise what a pain in the arse pulling the little white stabiliser inserts would be - I'm referring to the bit on the caps that the spring bit hooks onto. I got most of those out but I broke a couple, which is a pain, and some of them are stuck fast.

At least the big keys work reasonably well without them, although I extracted enough of them for the main keyset. No damage to the original caps, but I'll have to order a shitload of them from WASD or the like to have as spares (probably a few of the other replacement parts like the clips just in case.)

And if I'm going to order stuff from WASD I'll probably get the weird custom keyset idea I've been developing made up.

• Locked thread