Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Or correct apostrophe usage apparently! :smug:

Ohh yeah, deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

What about that Amanda Knox? Eh lads? Phwaor. I'd give er one.

am i doing this right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Leyburn posted:

Or correct apostrophe usage apparently! :smug:

Ohh yeah, deal with that.

Hey man, no need for that kinda dirty play

Realtalk: sebzilla is a cool dude, no way did he mean it the way you think he did

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Why are we having this loving retarded argument? Have Yanks infiltrated the thread again?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Flatscan posted:

Why are we having this loving retarded argument?

Do you want the actual answer or the one that will make you feel happy

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Flatscan posted:

Why are we having this loving retarded argument? Have Yanks infiltrated the thread again?

The loving mongs have infiltrated. [/gervais]

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

Between this and Rab C. Nesbitt for the last few weeks, it's been nice to see BBC shows tear the poo poo out of Tories. Hopefully it's only a matter of time now until Spitting Image makes a comeback and the other stations get stuck in too.

I've been quite pleased with this series of Rab in general. It's been much funnier than the previous series of the comeback.

As for the other stations having a go at the Tories too, I can't see ITV doing so, since they're extremely commercial and also show the most rampantly Tory things on TV; Jeremy Kyle and Downton Abbey. Plus I wouldn't want ITV bringing back Spitting Image since every attempt they've had at doing something similar since has been crap (2DTV and Headcases anyone?). No sense ruining Spitting Image's reputation.

Channel 4 might be in for having a go, though. They've always been a bit edgier and tried to be more subversive and self-consciously alternative. Just so long as they don't try and use loving Dappy as a legitimate commentator on anything ever again.

As for Channel 5, they probably couldn't care less unless the Tories somehow go after Kerry Katona or Louise Redknapp or whoever else is in Heat this week.

As for whether freeview channels will go after them, probably not, but at the very least if the BBC does, then Dave will do so 6 months later.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

John_Anon_Smith posted:

You're correct. I must have missed the subtle wordplay and multi-tiered irony that was buried in that sentence. I guess I just don't have the mental fortitude to truly understand the Voltaire's and Shakespeare's of this thread such as yourself.
There is in fact a rather large grey area between "100% literal" and "subtle wordplay and multi-tiered irony".

I like to call that area: The chill zone :cool:
You are free to join me in the chill zone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why they send her on to HIGNFY. I assume she's sent anyway, are political guests invited or volunteered?

Anyway, she doesn't seem personally interesting and amusing to laugh at like Boris, nor quick witted enough to be there for raw comedy potential, nor self-deprecating enough to just be abuse fodder for the regulars like Lembit Opik. I could understand her going on there once, but the first time she was on was bad enough, why have her back? Controversy's sake?

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Dicky B posted:

There is in fact a rather large grey area between "100% literal" and "subtle wordplay and multi-tiered irony".

I like to call that area: The chill zone :cool:
You are free to join me in the chill zone.

I don't want to be in your loving chill zone.

I got enough grief when I was younger (and still do) from well meaning chill guys not being 100% literal or serious about things. Racism is really funny if you don't *actually* mean it.

If it's all just words and we can all just chill then we can all equally chill in the sense that if people get to be chill and make jokes about or using race and gendered insults then I get to be chill and call them hurtful, ignorant dipshits who should shut the gently caress up with their poisonous attitudes.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

what

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Flatscan posted:

Oh yeah that american stereotype: stupid, fat and likes pointing out others misogyny

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

goatface posted:

I don't know why they send her on to HIGNFY. I assume she's sent anyway, are political guests invited or volunteered?

Anyway, she doesn't seem personally interesting and amusing to laugh at like Boris, nor quick witted enough to be there for raw comedy potential, nor self-deprecating enough to just be abuse fodder for the regulars like Lembit Opik. I could understand her going on there once, but the first time she was on was bad enough, why have her back? Controversy's sake?

I was thinking about this, I like to believe that whoever is responsible for getting guests feels pretty bad about BoJo becoming mayor, as a lot of people feel he looked pretty jolly on hignfy. Now they'll only have politicians who now act like irredeemable twats.

That's what I like to think anyway.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

John_Anon_Smith posted:

If it's all just words and we can all just chill then we can all equally chill in the sense that if people get to be chill and make jokes about or using race and gendered insults then I get to be chill and call them hurtful, ignorant dipshits who should shut the gently caress up with their poisonous attitudes.

Hatefuck is neither a gendered insult, nor is it racist, nor does it actually imply rape or lack of consent. But hey, right on man.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

le chat posted:

Oh yeah that american stereotype: stupid, fat and likes pointing out others misogyny

I was thinking along the lines of the American middle-class male women's/gay/minority rights armchair activists that spend all their time combing GBS for any tiny little thing they can have a poo poo-fit over because it makes them feel better about their worthless, lonely lives.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Flatscan posted:

I was thinking along the lines of the American middle-class male women's/gay/minority rights armchair activists that spend all their time combing GBS for any tiny little thing they can have a poo poo-fit over because it makes them feel better about their worthless, lonely lives.

Literally anyone who doesn't care exclusively about white males is an armchair activist :smug:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Leyburn posted:

Hatefuck is neither a gendered insult, nor is it racist, nor does it actually imply rape or lack of consent. But hey, right on man.

It's pretty loving misogynist in that sense. "Let's not let characteristics beyond outward appearance get in the way of our assessment of this woman!"

Flatscan posted:

Actually bringing poo poo like this up with people makes you feel embittered and depressed about how people care so much more about their right to use some trivial wordplay than they do about how entire sections of humanity might be treated like crap.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Z-Magic posted:

Literally anyone who doesn't care exclusively about white males is an armchair activist :smug:

No. Not even close to what I said or implied. F, must try harder.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Flatscan posted:

No. Not even close to what I said or implied. F, must try harder.

I was pointing out that you're not the only one who can strawman.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

josh04 posted:

It's pretty loving misogynist in that sense. "Let's not let characteristics beyond outward appearance get in the way of our assessment of this woman!"

I think the phrase fundamentally has to take into account other characteristics beyond physical appearance to even make sense...

This isn't to say I'm a fan of it or anything. I already regret being dragged into this...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Leyburn posted:

for something that's not gendered it sure does seem to be exclusively applied to one gender!!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Flatscan posted:

Your strawmanning/derailing is adorable :allears:

I like that people get called out on these things. Calling out people on being casually a shithead is something I tend to do offline (I'm a rep for a minority group in a couple of organisations), and I feel like there should be a bingo card for people's responses to it.

Fakeedit: There totally is!

Wormophile posted:

:allears: I properly went mental at one of my flatmate's friends for saying almost exactly the same thing when we were watching it. These days I am fully committed to ruining the atmosphere in the front room if I detect any casual misogyny.

You seem like a good'un :shobon:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cerv posted:

for something that's not gendered it sure does seem to be exclusively applied to one gender!!

Not that I've observed. I've heard or read it being used by a number of women in regards to men and, to bring the discussion back round to the thread topic, the only occurrence I can think of in British TV is Alex hatefucking Thatcherite business-men in Ashes to Ashes.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Noreaus posted:

I like that people get called out on these things. Calling out people on being casually a shithead is something I tend to do offline (I'm a rep for a minority group in a couple of organisations), and I feel like there should be a bingo card for people's responses to it.

You can make whatever assumptions about me that you like. Where I come from (ie. the working class) pretty much every friend and family member of mine throws around words like chinky and paki without batting an eyelid and I won't hesitate to show my disapproval when they do so, even though they simply refuse to understand why it might be wrong to use such words.

Throw up any image macro you like to try and discredit me.

Frankly I find everyone's assumption that only men are capable of having sex with someone they dislike somewhat sexist in itself and fuelled by an old fashioned and stereotypical attitude towards women's sexual choices.

(Well not really, but for all you know I could!)

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

The image was only relevant to the other guy, who I quoted. Although now I guess it's relevant to you too!

I would refrain from posting like I'm on tumblr (IE here is an image), but having to explain to people how they're using derailing tactics and arguing poorly is something you can only do so many times.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can't you all just go back to having terrible opinions about Noel Fielding ?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

I don't find Noel Fielding funny but I haven't found anything he says objectionable.

Whereas Stephen Fry has moved by inches into "smug arsehole who has a habit for making 'ladyboy' jokes" territory and I have trouble finding him as enjoyable as I used to. Also, did anyone else try to watch that "Fry's Planet Word" thing? Single most patronising piece of non-content I have ever chosen to try to watch.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Can't you all just go back to having terrible opinions about Noel Fielding ?

Providing nobody talks about hate-loving him.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Phwoar lads, Noel Fielding is such a CILF (Comedian I Like because he's Funny)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I wonder who he slept with to get that team captain position?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

I wonder who he slept with to get that team captain position?

He didn't have to sleep with anybody, he just made up an unfunny whimsical song about melancholic jam milkshakes and wouldn't stop singing it until they gave him the position.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Noreaus posted:

Whereas Stephen Fry has moved by inches into "smug arsehole who has a habit for making 'ladyboy' jokes" territory and I have trouble finding him as enjoyable as I used to. Also, did anyone else try to watch that "Fry's Planet Word" thing? Single most patronising piece of non-content I have ever chosen to try to watch.
Planet Word isn't really all that insightful. I can watch it easily enough but I don't come out the other end thinking that I know more about things that I didn't know before.

Last night's QI was actually really good though. Prof. B. Cox is a pretty funny guy and now I know things about some of Saturn's moons! Also Ewoks (thanks very much Ross Noble).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

QI was indeed amazing last night. It reminded me of the earlier episodes where they actually had someone who was insightful rather on the panel as opposed to rotating between the same comedians every week.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Noreaus posted:

Stephen Fry had a leading hand in a long string of excellent comedy, both satirical and absurdest, before hitting forty and giving up satire because "nobody wants to see a fat old man mocking the government". Which is sad, but understandable. What's upsetting is that he didn't also decide to loving get off television. What's infuriating is the viewing public's tolerance for his new line in trade of lazily batting around his public persona for hours at a time.
He is like an albatross hanging around the neck of BBC Light Entertainment, or maybe a long-deceased patient still hooked up to an IV in the hope that someday, somehow, that rotten corpse will walk again.
e:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Noooo.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 22, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
How have people never heard "hatefuck" before? How did it cause so much fuss in the reserved, slightly twee, loves that baking show and Charlie Brooker, British TV thread? It shouldn't be offensive to women, it should be offensive to Louise Mensch.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Hoops posted:

How have people never heard "hatefuck" before? How did it cause so much fuss in the reserved, slightly twee, loves that baking show and Charlie Brooker, British TV thread? It shouldn't be offensive to women, it should be offensive to Louise Mensch.

You realise it's offensive to Louise Mensch because she is a woman?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Noooo.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

John_Anon_Smith posted:

You realise it's offensive to Louise Mensch because she is a woman?
It isn't, you're reading something into the term that isn't there. It means "I find them physically attractive, but personally repulsive". "I hate them, but even so I want to gently caress them". Nothing about gender in there whatsoever. Really, there isn't.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Please for the love of god noooo.

LOOK a picture of Lorraine Kelly! Ahhhh how soothing. Everyone post your favourite pictures of Lorraine Kelly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lorraine Kelly can't even read an autocue.