Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Founders' site just updated with KBS release info:

quote:

Founders KBS release 2013 will begin with a four-day, pre-ticketed, on-site bottle release beginning on Wednesday, March 27, prior to being released across our distribution footprint on April 1.

Dates for the taproom bottle release are as follows:

Day #1: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 11am-9pm
Day #2: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 11am-9pm
Day #3: Friday, March 29, 2013, 11am-9pm
Day #4: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 11am-9pm
Tickets for all four release dates will be available beginning at 11:00am on Saturday, February 16, via brownpapertickets.com on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a limit of one ticket per person. Tickets are non-refundable, and proceeds from the $5 purchase price will be donated to Grand Rapids Whitewater. Your ticket, along with a valid government-issued photo ID, gets you the opportunity to purchase KBS only on the date listed on your ticket. A strict maximum limit of 12 bottles per person applies. KBS is $4.75 per bottle, $19 per 4-pack, and $57 for 12 bottles (three 4-packs). Bottles can ONLY be picked up on the day listed on the ticket from our Company Store during regular business hours (see above).

‘KBS Week’ culminates in an all-day draft release party in our taproom on Saturday, March 30. The party takes place from 11am-2am, is strictly 21+ and is free-of-charge. March 30 marks the first day KBS will be available on tap. The party stars the draft release of KBS, and free live entertainment will be offered in the evening.

Sounds like a similar system they used for Bolt Cutter. Also, supposedly they made a lot more this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

Sounds like a similar system they used for Bolt Cutter. Also, supposedly they made a lot more this year.

The day after the last KBS release they said they would be making 3x the amount for 2013 as they have been. However, they are also distributing further than they have been, so who knows how easier it will be.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Growler question. Has anyone ever gotten sassed or turned down for trying to bring in a growler for filling that is a different growler than what that place sells? (poorly written as hell, hopefully still comprehensible)

The reason I ask is because I plan to pick up one of Vault Brewing's very cool growlers tonight, and am wondering how annoying it would be to make that my go-to growler.

(After you write the word 'growler' five times in a post it seriously starts to lose all coherency.)

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Podima posted:

Growler question. Has anyone ever gotten sassed or turned down for trying to bring in a growler for filling that is a different growler than what that place sells? (poorly written as hell, hopefully still comprehensible)

The reason I ask is because I plan to pick up one of Vault Brewing's very cool growlers tonight, and am wondering how annoying it would be to make that my go-to growler.

(After you write the word 'growler' five times in a post it seriously starts to lose all coherency.)

I don't know of any place that will fill another places growler. Most will make you buy one of their own.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Here's hoping I can snag a Saturday ticket. I really like KBS and would happily drive up there if I were guaranteed bottles, but I don't think I'm willing to take a day off work for it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Podima posted:

Depends on the state. If you're in PA, growler laws can be tricky, some people won't fill outside growlers unless even if they are legally allowed because they don't want top take any chances. Best to use an unlabeled/unbranded growler in that case.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

cryme posted:

Depends on the state. If you're in PA, growler laws can be tricky, some people won't fill outside growlers unless even if they are legally allowed because they don't want top take any chances. Best to use an unlabeled/unbranded growler in that case.

My anecdotal experience in PA: I have four growlers I rotate, two Victory, a Sly Fox, and an Iron Hill, and have never had a problem having any of them filled anywhere. In fact, I got into a friendly conversation with the guy at SF about how the Victory growlers are nicer. But caveat emptor.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Manky posted:

My anecdotal experience in PA: I have four growlers I rotate, two Victory, a Sly Fox, and an Iron Hill, and have never had a problem having any of them filled anywhere. In fact, I got into a friendly conversation with the guy at SF about how the Victory growlers are nicer. But caveat emptor.

I wish everyone used swing tops. Now that Tired Hands is using swing top 1L growlers, I don't forsee myself using any of my (many) PA Growlers again for a long time...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Welp. Guess I know what I'm doing for my birthday. Haven't visited my buddy who moved to GR either yet.

I stopped for a beer on my walk home from the train. Tank 7 on tap? Yes, please. Although I have yet to figure out why farmhouse/saison types are easily my favorites. Seems like a style that a lot of people like....but not their favorite.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Here's hoping I can snag a Saturday ticket. I really like KBS and would happily drive up there if I were guaranteed bottles, but I don't think I'm willing to take a day off work for it.

I think I'm going to try for Saturday tickets too, maybe we can have a beer goon meet. I really love this new ticketing system Founders is adopting, makes it almost painless.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I was also probably going to go for Saturday tickets if I can get them. The Bolt Cutter release was super-smooth so the KBS release should be nice and mellow. Maybe.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and really enjoyed it any other American pale ales worth trying that would be available in Denver?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Deschutes Mirror Pond or Boulevard Pale Ale are decent. I prefer Boulevard's Single Wide IPA over their regular Pale, which is odd, since I don't really dig hops.
Mirror Pond is pretty good, though.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
drat, I have to thank everyone for suggesting that I try Eugene porter by Revolution. I think I might actually like this better than Eddie Fitz... I am picking up more coffee notes in it than I do with Eddie. I'm a sucker for coffee beers, and this has a great coffee taste, so I'm really glad that I grabbed a six pack of this.

In other news, I found out one of my favorite all time comedians is coming into town next weekend, and he's going to be performing at a place with over 30 craft beers on tap... looks like that might push into my beer budget enough that I won't be able to buy a full case of BA Blackout Stout. Oh well, I planned on trading most of it away anyway. Oh yeah, for those who might be curious... I'm going to see Brody Stevens, he's not that well known, but drat is he great.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Tonight I was at a bar on the same street as my usual six pack shop and decided to swing by to see if they had anything new. Much to my surprise they had about half a dozen bottles of Brooklyn Black Ops, a beer I've heard of (even though the bottle specifically says it doesn't exist)but wasn't sure about the reviews. I've been a fan of several Brooklyn beers so I decided to purchase the bottle. I was a little alarmed by the price when I purchased (~$27) but bought it anyway. Anyone here try it yet? Is it worth the money I payed? Part of me wants to cellar it but since I haven't tried it fresh I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lifts cats over head posted:

Tonight I was at a bar on the same street as my usual six pack shop and decided to swing by to see if they had anything new. Much to my surprise they had about half a dozen bottles of Brooklyn Black Ops, a beer I've heard of (even though the bottle specifically says it doesn't exist)but wasn't sure about the reviews. I've been a fan of several Brooklyn beers so I decided to purchase the bottle. I was a little alarmed by the price when I purchased (~$27) but bought it anyway. Anyone here try it yet? Is it worth the money I payed? Part of me wants to cellar it but since I haven't tried it fresh I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

I definitely think Black Ops is best fresh, although I've yet to try an aged one. It drinks incredibly smooth while fresh, and I've heard it's not all that great while aged. $27 is definitely pricey, but I guess that all depends on where you live. I paid $22.50 at a specialty beer shop, and found it a few days later at a local grocery store for $19.49. If you're in a big city, I could see paying $27 as more standard. Either way, I'd totally pay $27 for it if I would only have the chance to try it once, it's one of the better barrel aged Stouts I've ever had. It's very smooth, and the bourbon flavor is rather light, which seems to be a rarity in my experience with barrel aged beers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

drat, I have to thank everyone for suggesting that I try Eugene porter by Revolution. I think I might actually like this better than Eddie Fitz... I am picking up more coffee notes in it than I do with Eddie. I'm a sucker for coffee beers, and this has a great coffee taste, so I'm really glad that I grabbed a six pack of this.

Here's hoping for your sake they distribute Coffee Eugene then. Amazing beer.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Podima posted:

Funny that you mention this place, because I've visited Vault twice, once at opening and again yesterday, and there is definitely something....off about their beers.

Can someone explain what would make every beer at a brewpub have a watery, thin mouthfeel? When I've been to this place, every beer I had, whether it was from the tap, nitro, or even cask, the flavors were there, but the mouthfeel was incredibly disappointing, and reminded me of extract homebrew. From looking at the info on their site, it doesn't look like Vault uses extract or a partial extract, so what could cause it?

They do have nice growlers though, and you'll only have a problem filling it if you take it to another brewpub/brewery in PA. Bars and shops will fill anything.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

I definitely think Black Ops is best fresh, although I've yet to try an aged one. It drinks incredibly smooth while fresh, and I've heard it's not all that great while aged. $27 is definitely pricey, but I guess that all depends on where you live. I paid $22.50 at a specialty beer shop, and found it a few days later at a local grocery store for $19.49. If you're in a big city, I could see paying $27 as more standard. Either way, I'd totally pay $27 for it if I would only have the chance to try it once, it's one of the better barrel aged Stouts I've ever had. It's very smooth, and the bourbon flavor is rather light, which seems to be a rarity in my experience with barrel aged beers.

I didn't have an aged one and a fresh one side by side, but I think it did get better with time. I don't really have tasting notes from it but I remember the flavor was a bit more balanced. I do love the beer though and I feel it's worth $20 a bottle.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Quad Night preparations are complete, I think. Coop Oak Aged Quad, Sixth Glass, BBQ, Bernardus Abt 12, Three Philosophers, La Trappe Quad. Guy at the beer store even gave me some free Chimay glasses!

Should be a fun night for all involved.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
One thing to note is that places that use a counter-pressure filler for their growlers (ala Victory) may have more strict rules about what you can use. IIRC moast of them actually don't give you back the same growler, but instead swap it for a fresh one. The CO2 purge is really nice for shelf life.

ChickenArise posted:

It was the only Mystery that they had at BR when I was in town, so I've been sitting on a growler of this for a week+ waiting for people to be around to help me drink it. Glad to hear that you liked it, some of the reviews across the net had me concerned. I'm making a concerted effort to get to it tonight

Aaaaand I didn't like 6IT. Why the gently caress they put 'buttery' on the label to alert me to the fact that it was a massive diacetyl bomb, I'll never know. Also the carbonation didn't survive the packagin, apparently. So it was flat, thin, chocolate/coffee/movie theater butter. I think if it wasn't buttery and had carbonation, I would have liked it a lot (though it seemed to be on the sweet side).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm watching a Sam Adams video about the making of the New Albion beer. I understand that it's one of the first craft breweries, but wasn't Anchor Steam before New Albion as far as brewing "craft" beers? The revival of this beer seems to have brought a lot of attention though, including a big release party at Russian River, for what it's worth.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sucaba hit Vegas distributor warehouses yesterday, should be on shelves Tuesday. That's probably true for most of FW's distribution if it hasn't already arrived.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

I'm watching a Sam Adams video about the making of the New Albion beer. I understand that it's one of the first craft breweries, but wasn't Anchor Steam before New Albion as far as brewing "craft" beers? The revival of this beer seems to have brought a lot of attention though, including a big release party at Russian River, for what it's worth.

I mean I guess it depends on your opinion of what makes craft beer or a craft brewery. Technically Yuengling was before either of them, and despite what most people know them for now, until the 1980's Yuengling was strictly brewing Old Ales and Porters which like that video you posted said, was almost unheard of back then.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

ChickenArise posted:

Aaaaand I didn't like 6IT. Why the gently caress they put 'buttery' on the label to alert me to the fact that it was a massive diacetyl bomb, I'll never know. Also the carbonation didn't survive the packagin, apparently. So it was flat, thin, chocolate/coffee/movie theater butter. I think if it wasn't buttery and had carbonation, I would have liked it a lot (though it seemed to be on the sweet side).

Wow, I didn't get any butter/diacetyl out of it either time I tried it. I agree that it was slightly on the thinner side for a stout, but not so much that it detracted from my enjoyment. Maybe you just got an off growler? I plan on grabbing one soon, so I'll be able to compare with your experience. Sucks that it ended up like that for you though. :(

I opened up the New Glarus Raspberry Tart I've been sitting on for my roomie's informal bottle share last night and...holy poo poo. That is a goddamned amazing, tasty beer. I will definitely find a way to get my hands on some more some day.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been so noticeable if I hadn't read the label. Sorry if this has the same effect for you. (Flatness didn't help either) Girlfriend liked it anyway.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Just bought my ticket for the BA Blackout Stout release. It was a bit pricey for what it is ($35), but I don't really have the time to attend the actual release on Tuesday, so it will be a good chance for me to grab a few four packs before the big crowd is able to get them.

The beer list for the night looks like this:

Jabberwocky (2oz)
2011 Rackhouse Ale (5oz)
2007 Blackout Stout (5oz)
2012 Blackout Stout (5oz)
2011 Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout (5oz)
2013 Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout (5oz)

I'm really looking forward to trying Jabberwocky, it's a Wild Ale... and I'm pretty sure it's brewed on an extremely limited basis. I've also never tried Rackhouse Ale, so I'm really looking forward to that as well.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Just bought my ticket for the BA Blackout Stout release. It was a bit pricey for what it is ($35), but I don't really have the time to attend the actual release on Tuesday, so it will be a good chance for me to grab a few four packs before the big crowd is able to get them.

The beer list for the night looks like this:

Jabberwocky (2oz)
2011 Rackhouse Ale (5oz)
2007 Blackout Stout (5oz)
2012 Blackout Stout (5oz)
2011 Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout (5oz)
2013 Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout (5oz)

I'm really looking forward to trying Jabberwocky, it's a Wild Ale... and I'm pretty sure it's brewed on an extremely limited basis. I've also never tried Rackhouse Ale, so I'm really looking forward to that as well.

Hey thanks for the heads up message! I booked 2 tickets for the late session. Are you doing the early or late session?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Hey thanks for the heads up message! I booked 2 tickets for the late session. Are you doing the early or late session?

I'm doing the late session with a friend. He's actually a fellow goon, but has never posted in the beer thread, and isn't really too much of a beer nerd at all. He can appreciate good beer though, and was willing to let me drag him along... so I'm happy!

Let me know if you want to meet up before, during, or after the session. I'll probably be in Cleveland for the day since I'm not working, and my buddy only lives about 5 minutes from GLBC.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I was just drinking a Blackout Stout and thinking, I wish I had a barrel aged version. Please e-mail me at isprettyrandom (at) gmail.com so we can work something out if you're interested in sending a bottle or 2.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

I was just drinking a Blackout Stout and thinking, I wish I had a barrel aged version. Please e-mail me at isprettyrandom (at) gmail.com so we can work something out if you're interested in sending a bottle or 2.

Shot you an e-mail, I'm sure we'll be able to get something worked out!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Spent last night at Goose Island Clybourn and scored a full glass of Boudoinia. Had it at FOBAB under a different name, but still as good. A very mildly sour BCBS. Really great.

Also just opened the 110k+OT #4 I snagged in Orlando last month. Despite the age and warning, I dig it. It's still predominantly hoppy, a little sour (not sure if that's something done on purpose), and very booze flavored. Almost a rye whiskey aftertaste. Compared to This One Goes To 11 (which I had for the first time Friday), it's less hoppy and more alcohol heavy.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004
I forget who is in/around Houston, but the Whole Foods on Waugh has three cases of DFH 120.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

I think I'm going to try for Saturday tickets too, maybe we can have a beer goon meet. I really love this new ticketing system Founders is adopting, makes it almost painless.

nominal posted:

I was also probably going to go for Saturday tickets if I can get them. The Bolt Cutter release was super-smooth so the KBS release should be nice and mellow. Maybe.

Let me know if you guys want to do an impromptu tasting on Saturday. I'd be down for it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Spent last night at Goose Island Clybourn and scored a full glass of Boudoinia. Had it at FOBAB under a different name, but still as good. A very mildly sour BCBS. Really great.

Also just opened the 110k+OT #4 I snagged in Orlando last month. Despite the age and warning, I dig it. It's still predominantly hoppy, a little sour (not sure if that's something done on purpose), and very booze flavored. Almost a rye whiskey aftertaste. Compared to This One Goes To 11 (which I had for the first time Friday), it's less hoppy and more alcohol heavy.

I didn't get any sour notes from Baudoinia; instead it tastes like intensely chocolatey, less boozy BCBS. Really drat good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have any Ohio folks seen Hopslam yet?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Draft Magazines top 100 beer bars in the country: http://draftmag.com/features/america-100-best-beer-bars-2013/

Some of the commentary is pretty hilariously wrong (Local Option is about as "metal" as Whole Foods), but I can't disagree with much of what I've been to on this list.

Additionally, finding 3x4 packs of Founder's Imperial Stout (my favorite seasonal imperial) made me really happy. I only got 1 last year.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

For Chicagoans, there's a new shop open on California/Elston/Belmont called The Beer Temple, and it's pretty amazing. I know the Chicago thread in LAN has talked about it, but it's worth repeating in the beer thread. They put freshness dating to the best of their ability on every single package. For Three Floyds and other breweries that don't bottle date, it's a 'received on' date. I can only think of one other store that has come close to doing this in the Chicago area.

ShaneB posted:

Draft Magazines top 100 beer bars in the country: http://draftmag.com/features/america-100-best-beer-bars-2013/

Some of the commentary is pretty hilariously wrong (Local Option is about as "metal" as Whole Foods), but I can't disagree with much of what I've been to on this list.

Additionally, finding 3x4 packs of Founder's Imperial Stout (my favorite seasonal imperial) made me really happy. I only got 1 last year.

Mostly agree with the list except for the completely ludicrous prices at Old Town Pour House on anything approaching seasonal or rare.

Founders is my favourite non-barrel RIS too.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Not a single new bar in the Northeast on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Houston making the list :woop:

I would say Petrol Station is the best place for the "authentic" Southern beer experience and Hay Merchant is a good shot at imitating a fancy beer bar in DC or Boston, incl. prices.