Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
At high levels and named necro+shaman probably a lot of sense, but for outdoor grinding I would rather necro+druid or necro+wizard. I boxed Necro+Shaman up to the 80s, the shaman dots are great but he spent most of his mana on inefficient nukes. Necro pets can only tank for some of those levels and you're usually better off aggro kiting using a rogue pet that can backstab. The druid offers a lot of utility while the wizard offers pure efficiency. The non-necro is going to be parked for 99% of the time. Neither of those options is really viable for indoor zones, but I'd rather be in a group for that content anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Troll shaman/mage is a tempting alternative since I would still have access to a snare with the regent symbol for kiting with a damage pet and god knows what an earth elemental is capable of tanking when backed up by a shaman's slows and heals.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Anyone else taking Friday off to play all day? Let's form a grinding group. I'm working tomorrow and Thurs because RF was hosed up enough the server did not functionally begin until a few days after launch.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Bat and moss snake corpses for miles.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm going to try and get ahead of the curve tomorrow evening - thursday. I suspect this will be a fight as a melee character right out of the gate. Wasn't there bonus exp for grouping? EQ has so many hidden numbers I can't remember them all.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
There's a bonus for each dude in the group, I *think* these numbers are right but they might skew towards filling the group. I know 5 and 6 are right:
1 = 100% xp
2 = 125% xp
3 = 150% xp
4 = 175% xp
5 = 200% xp
6 = 200% xp but divided by 5 instead of 6 given to each in group

So kill mob, get 100 xp:
1 = 100 xp
2 = 125 xp / 2 = 62 xp to each (they round down)
3 = 150 xp / 3 = 50 xp to each
4 = 175 xp / 4 = 43 xp to each
5 and 6 = 200 xp / 5 = 40 xp to each

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Givin posted:

I'm going to try and get ahead of the curve tomorrow evening - thursday.

I will try as well, but if the other TLP servers are any indication, it will be a poo poo show until Thursday or Friday. Hopefully it will be better this time around though!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hoohah posted:

6 = 200% xp but divided by 5 instead of 6 given to each in group

I especially have always liked this because it gives absolutely no excuse not to have a 6th person in a group unless they are disruptive twit, or some such.

Dracneir posted:

Anyone else taking Friday off to play all day? Let's form a grinding group. I'm working tomorrow and Thurs because RF was hosed up enough the server did not functionally begin until a few days after launch.

I can play part of the day. I'm a college professor and today was the last day of classes, but I have other marking to do and final exams are Monday evening, so I still can't just gently caress off the whole day online for a while yet. I would like to play some on Friday, though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Republicans posted:

Troll shaman/mage is a tempting alternative since I would still have access to a snare with the regent symbol for kiting with a damage pet and god knows what an earth elemental is capable of tanking when backed up by a shaman's slows and heals.
I would't bet your entire setup on the Regent symbol. Remember that the cast time is really long (6 secs), it's a weak snare, and it only lasts 8 ticks at best. I don't think running around kiting with the symbol snare and a mage pet on its tail would be so fun, probably more hassle than benefit.

Not that a troll shaman is a bad choice though, for the regen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

RCarr posted:

I will try as well, but if the other TLP servers are any indication, it will be a poo poo show until Thursday or Friday. Hopefully it will be better this time around though!

Yeah, it wouldn't be smart to expect this true box code to work right for a week or two. There's a pretty legit chance it will be randomly blocking people.

And the instance lockouts are going to be hosed.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Hopefully there are no newly created level 50 bards in full defiant like last time around.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I always laugh my rear end off at people who take off from work on release days for MMOs. More often than not they poo poo the bed or are completely unstable for a few days, why bother?

Especially for a company like DBG, I'm going to be happy if I can get in and get some names saved much less actually play.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

December is the best month to take random days off. Even if the server doesn't work.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Already had the week off due to surgery. :smugbert:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Stanos posted:

I always laugh my rear end off at people who take off from work on release days for MMOs. More often than not they poo poo the bed or are completely unstable for a few days, why bother?

Especially for a company like DBG, I'm going to be happy if I can get in and get some names saved much less actually play.

To be fair it's not nearly as bad as it was back in the day where it would take like a week/month for them to get that poo poo stabled. Still very stupid, though.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Think I'm gona create an ench on Phinny tomorrow. Do we have a running list of folks interested in grouping?

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
I'll be jumping on the Phinny bandwagon on Friday.

Probably going to hate life and play Generic Cleric #426.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dompy Bear posted:

I'll be jumping on the Phinny bandwagon on Friday.

Probably going to hate life and play Generic Cleric #426.

Go gnome or don't bother. You will be both very short and have no mana pool because your base wisdom is about 12.

Shodai posted:

Think I'm gona create an ench on Phinny tomorrow. Do we have a running list of folks interested in grouping?

I'm actually planning to be social and group rather than box. I was planning on playing an enchanter myself, but if we get steady groups going I will play another class if it's needed. As much as I enjoy druids, I don't want to play one in early EQ again because I did it before and I got tired of being the most common class in the game and treated like vermin.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bought a cheap laptop today so I can two box.

I'm trying to decide between Druid/Monk or Druid/Bard

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 9, 2015

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Go gnome or don't bother. You will be both very short and have no mana pool because your base wisdom is about 12.

Some people see it as no mana pool, i see it as an excuse to afk more often

"Sorry guys, I know im level 22 and can only cast light healing twice before OOM but im worth it damnit brb"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I turned off luclin models today. My childhood came racing back and it got me thinking about the race/class/sex combos we hardly ever saw on live. At least for the Lanys server.

Phinny needs to rep more troll and ogre females because holy gently caress are they amazingly goofy and great. Shout out to bearded dwarf females which prove that Everquest is the best MMORPG ever.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

I'll be on as a High Elf Enchanter, tomorrow evening if the server is stable, but I'm betting it'll be a shitfest.

Sounds like everyone is going some variation of a solo class, make a tank have an instant group

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
On Ragefire opening it was lots of mages, and lots of SKs. Very few warriors or bards. Most people suck tho so if you're good or active, or know good locations people will pick you/keep you over something they "need" usually.

Honestly didn't see that many people soloing, mostly boxing a few mages. Even like necro heaven like OoT, I'd be the only necro on most islands I was on. Then again , this is no box server so maybe people are going to choose a soloing class.

Enchanter is amazing solo class atleast in vanilla, it might scale down later, I'm not sure. But there's stupid strong poo poo with a charmed pet you can do.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 9, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

what time does this open

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

darkhand posted:

On Ragefire opening it was lots of mages, and lots of SKs. Very few warriors or bards. Most people suck tho so if you're good or active, or know good locations people will pick you/keep you over something they "need" usually.

Honestly didn't see that many people soloing, mostly boxing a few mages. Even like necro heaven like OoT, I'd be the only necro on most islands I was on. Then again , this is no box server so maybe people are going to choose a soloing class.

Enchanter is amazing solo class atleast in vanilla, it might scale down later, I'm not sure. But there's stupid strong poo poo with a charmed pet you can do.

Enchanter is good until your tank gets geared enough that they just need poo poo slowed, then you become a terrible shaman / mediocre caster. Happens at about Luclin, and by the time poo poo hits hard again, its elemental planes and people are tired of you.

Then you get GoD and Tipt is your bitch because you charm those loving hynids that do like an entire group's worth of DPS on their own if you haste them.

Server opens at 2 pm PST. I'll be there as warrior, enchanter, cleric, and wizard, and I'm more than willing to kick bots out of group.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't played since PoR. I sort of want to try this new server, but the game has changed so much I'm not sure I'd enjoy it anymore. I lost interest when everyone I knew in game started boxing and using mq2. There was little challenge left at that point and my normal group just wound up running through zones whacking named while waiting to raid. I may jump in with a war, and I could box something else on my laptop... I guess.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 9, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Don't be afraid to try whatever. Once you get like 25plat, you can buy stuff to pop a char upto lvl 5-ish in like 5 minutes. Neriak wine quest, etc. Just being active in the game is the best way to spend time. Using LFG to get groups or make them, don't just stand around EC tunnels or whatever. If someone is not pulling well or slow, then just go pull poo poo. If all the tanks you group with suck, then try and make one and see if you're any better.

I had to constantly pull on my necro cuz most people are terrible. Sometimes you even have to tell people where/what to camp, standing mass killing 10m from a placeholder and not pulling him is stupid. Just be proactive with your time and anyone can enjoy this old rear end game.

People get stuck thinking they have to log in everyday or be online X amount of hours, and you really don't if you spend your time well.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 9, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Happy Hedonist posted:

I haven't played since PoR. I sort of want to try this new server, but the game has changed so much I'm not sure I'd enjoy it anymore. I lost interest when everyone I knew in game started boxing and using mq2. There was little challenge left at that point and my normal group just wound up running through zones whacking named while raiding to raid. I may jump in with a war, and I could box something else on my laptop... I guess.

On this TLP server, you will see not as many changes as you would on a live server. I think the biggest difference you'd notice is OOC regen (it does have OOC regen, right?) 30 seconds (or 5 minutes, if it was a raid mob) after you aren't agro to anything, and you sit down, you regen health, mana, and endurance at a percentage based right that will bring you back to full pretty quickly. The game will be easier too, they didn't change the exp rates too much, if at all, from what they are currently, which is light speed compared to classic. Pets are way more powerful than they used to be. That is a quick list off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Nothing drastic unless I'm oblivious and forgot something.

Other changes you'll notice will be mostly user interface type stuff. It shouldn't be an alien experience to you.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just remembered how incredibly useful tracking is and it's making the shaman/druid decision very hard. :(

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004

Node posted:

On this TLP server, you will see not as many changes as you would on a live server. I think the biggest difference you'd notice is OOC regen (it does have OOC regen, right?) 30 seconds (or 5 minutes, if it was a raid mob) after you aren't agro to anything, and you sit down, you regen health, mana, and endurance at a percentage based right that will bring you back to full pretty quickly.

Nope, no OOC regen! Time to start sucking some chanters.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where's a good place for classic EQ info? The P1999 forums? I'm looking for newbie quests, advice for classes, good places to exp, money making, etc.

I don't have the game practically memorized anymore like I did when I was a teenager.

Also, rare items *should* be cheaper on this server, correct? I figure with all the instancing going on, there will be a lot more of these items dropping. I guess that's a good thing unless you are a poopsocker who camps the FBSS for 24 hours a time or whatever.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 9, 2015

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

Where's a good place for classic EQ info? The P1999 forums? I'm looking for newbie quests, advice for classes, good places to exp, money making, etc.

I don't have the game practically memorized anymore like I did when I was a teenager.

Also, rare items *should* be cheaper on this server, correct? I figure with all the instancing going on, there will be a lot more of these items dropping. I guess that's a good thing unless you are a poopsocker who camps the FBSS for 24 hours a time or whatever.

Found this site on reddit: http://eq.ixdi.net/features

Seems to be decent.

All items should be cheaper as there shouldnt be bot armies flooding the market with plat hopefully.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

So this server is no voting with 3 months between expacs, each raid can be instanced with appropriate lockouts, no boxing except if using multiple comps? Are there any changes to how kronos are handled because that looked like the worst thing about RF was everybody dicking over everybody for items to try to sell for kronos.

I'm thinking of poopsocking a DPS, probably necro since I don't know anyone. With modern players it doesn't really seem like there's much to do once you hit 50, especially with being able to do separate zone instances to get gear. Just hit 50, spend a week getting the best group gear and then it's mostly about the social side of the game?

Botnit fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 9, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I beg to differ. A Dual Core is ancient technology, 2 GB RAM is too little, and 32 GB storage, hmm. An EQ client easily eats 750 MB RAM and the install takes about 11 GB. Remember that Windows and other various stuff will also eat up a lot.

I bought this before I saw your reply, but it runs EQ fine. Logged into an old character and killed a bunch of stuff. It ran perfectly, even without turning off shadows or lowering any settings. Hooray!

I compiled a list of everyone who's going to be playing. (Sorry if I missed anyone) Feel free to quote this and add your character names once the server opens.

RCarr
Koreban
Boho
Bahanahab
Suuma
Lemonslol
Darkhand
Justjeff88
Dracneir
Dumpy Bear
Givin
Stanos
Baconroll
Republicans
MF_James
The Rage
Botnit
Kilazar
Kilazar's friend
Bad boys for life
Happy Hedonist

For now I will join the serverwide goon channel, but I would really like to get into a guild. Doesn't matter if it's a goon guild, or just a guild that a bunch of goons gravitate to. Keep us posted!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 9, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've been debating, I might actually run a dual-box setup, cleric/monk probably, although a shaman is VERY tempting considering their insane power come velious/luclin, but we had one on live. I'm really going to miss ports (played a druid on live) but I just can't put myself through the pain that is being a druid pre-POP and cleric/wizard does not really appeal to me at the moment, might consider a caster DPS once luclin or POP are around.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I keep flip flopping on my dual box setup. It's so hard to decide!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

RCarr posted:

I bought this before I saw your reply, but it runs EQ fine. Logged into an old character and killed a bunch of stuff. It ran perfectly, even without turning off shadows or lowering any settings. Hooray!

I compiled a list of everyone who's going to be playing. (Sorry if I missed anyone) Feel free to quote this and add your character names once the server opens.

RCarr
Koreban
Boho
Bahanahab
Suuma
Lemonslol
Darkhand
Justjeff88
Dracneir
Givin
Stanos
Baconroll
Republicans
MF_James
The Rage
Botnit

For now I will join the serverwide goon channel, but I would really like to get into a guild. Doesn't matter if it's a goon guild, or just a guild that a bunch of goons gravitate to. Keep us posted!

A friend and I will be playing as well..

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

RCarr
Koreban
Boho
Bahanahab
Suuma
Lemonslol
Darkhand
Justjeff88
Dracneir
Givin
Stanos
Baconroll
Republicans
MF_James
The Rage
Botnit
Kilazar
Kilazar's friend

Im playing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Added ya'll to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

You forgot Dumpy Bear my duo partner for Friday Poopsock, please add Dumpy Bear

It'd be cool to make a guild I guess, but it'll die off pretty quick. Goon channel is probably the best bet. Plus we have more access to guild groups that way if we're spread across guilds. Having a full group will be key to getting private instances of Sol B or whatever after we level a bit. Might as well make it easy as possible.

Anyone starting right at 2? Please post how the launch goes.