Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Charlz Guybon posted:

I keep reading that 90% ~ of new power generation is renewable. Is it just not true?

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1391993272055353346

i’m just a layperson when it comes to this stuff tho imo it’s not wrong. but capacity != power output which is an important distinction especially for renewables like wind and solar. so 90% of new generation is almost certainly not actually renewable.

this is very good don’t get me wrong but still a ways to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As long as this increase remains exponential that 'minimal' percentage will become the majority energy supply much sooner than otherwise. So that's important.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

As long as this increase remains exponential that 'minimal' percentage will become the majority energy supply much sooner than otherwise. So that's important.

Not really? Because most Solar/Wind remains intermittent and there will never be enough storage to make up the difference, and energy demand growth remains.

There hasn't been a case yet where renewables alone can handle all grid demand, and in nearly every case its usually a cloaked increase in demand for Fossil Natural Gas.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommieGIR posted:

And it's not enough. Despite the increase renewables adoption fossil fuel generating capacity continues to rise.

The problem is despite renewables forecast to increase, their overall share of the generating capacity remains minimal.

Yes this always struck me as a way to make number sound good.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Grouchio posted:

It really won't. You can't wish renewables into the majority generator, it will require many many trillions in grid infrastructure on top of an order of magnitude more generating capacity. This is just wishful thinking that saps energy away from the frighteningly urgent changes that have to be made.

I really loving hate that dishonest reporting that conflates capacity and output, giving laypeople the impression that we're on the right path, leading to mindsets like this post.

We are on the wrong path, we are going to burn, and literally no amount of solar and wind will change that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, a 90% increase on something that only occupies like 14% of global capacity isn't that much.

https://twitter.com/__phiphou__/status/1399399026269773827

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 7, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Not really? Because most Solar/Wind remains intermittent and there will never be enough storage to make up the difference, and energy demand growth remains.

There hasn't been a case yet where renewables alone can handle all grid demand, and in nearly every case its usually a cloaked increase in demand for Fossil Natural Gas.
1. So you'd throw away any good news as insufficient even if it provides the base for future renewable infrastructure projects that sooner than later will be able to make a difference?
2. You certainly sound like you doubt renewable storage will ever become efficient or widespread enough to maintain a national grid. Why?
3. "A 90% increase on something that only occupies like 14% of global capacity isn't that much?" Sure as hell is better than otherwise. I'll take whatever I can get.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

1. So you'd throw away any good news as insufficient even if it provides the base for future renewable infrastructure projects that sooner than later will be able to make a difference?
2. You certainly sound like you doubt renewable storage will ever become efficient or widespread enough to maintain a national grid. Why?
3. "A 90% increase on something that only occupies like 14% of global capacity isn't that much?" Sure as hell is better than otherwise. I'll take whatever I can get.

1. Its greenwashing. While its "good news" the charts I JUST posted show its not nearly as good as its being made out to be.
2. Its unlikely that it will, because the most efficient forms of storage are also the most impactful like Dams, River systems, and Pumped Storage, and those have ecological drawbacks as well. And the problem with storage is you have to STORE stuff versus providing to the grid, so you a stuck in a position of: Generate for the grid or generate for the storage or split between the two at diminished capacity. Batteries suck at it, and while battery tech is improving, most large battery storage installs are still only 1 hour runtimes at max capacity. That's not enough, not nearly enough.
3. Good for you? Nobody here is saying "Renewables bad" we're saying the chart is incredibly misleading versus ACTUAL capacity and how much that 90% actually goes to replacing fossil fuel generation (which is from the charts, not much). Renewables alone are not going to offset our fossil fuel generation requirements and we haven't seen a single report that says its happening.

Please stop taking this as a personal call out. We're telling you they are saying what you want to hear, not what is actually being seen at the grid level.

Its critical to call out this stuff, let's take for example the Indian Point closure, which was fanfared by environmental groups who fully believe its capacity would be replaced by Renewables. In the end, and for the foreseeable future: Its capacity was replaced by Natural Gas.
They celebrated closing a nuclear plant and using more fossil fuels. That's the problem. The people praising these charts don't understand why renewables are not fully replacing fossil fuels, and the reality is its because they refuse to see that they don't have nearly the capacity or dispatchability of fossil/nuclear or even hydro.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 7, 2021

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's not a 90% increase on the 14% of capacity, those values are unrelated. It's actually 90% of the ~1% increase in year-over-year energy capacity, reduced again by renewable's meh capacity factor. :toot:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The Jenga energy store system?

Saudi Aramco bets on Energy Vault's block-stacking energy storage
Energy Vault's storage towers should reach customers later this year, according to CEO.

Energy Vault, the splashy startup that stores clean electricity by stacking blocks of concrete, revealed Thursday that it garnered an investment from the venture arm of Saudi Aramco. The companies did not reveal how much money Aramco invested, or what valuation it assigned the startup. Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures typically invests between $2 million and $20 million at a time.

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/energy-vault-nabs-investment-from-saudi-aramco-for-block-stacking-storage/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Energy Vault's storage towers should reach customers later this year, according to CEO.

Energy Vault, the splashy startup that stores clean electricity by stacking blocks of concrete, revealed Thursday that it garnered an investment from the venture arm of Saudi Aramco. The companies did not reveal how much money Aramco invested, or what valuation it assigned the startup. Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures typically invests between $2 million and $20 million at a time.

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/energy-vault-nabs-investment-from-saudi-aramco-for-block-stacking-storage/

Oh good they can disassemble all those Gulf State Vanity projects for energy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VideoGameVet posted:

I irrationally like this method even though I know it will be really ugly.

We need to figure out how to make brutalist structures out of it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

1. Its greenwashing. While its "good news" the charts I JUST posted show its not nearly as good as its being made out to be.
2. Its unlikely that it will, because the most efficient forms of storage are also the most impactful like Dams, River systems, and Pumped Storage, and those have ecological drawbacks as well. And the problem with storage is you have to STORE stuff versus providing to the grid, so you a stuck in a position of: Generate for the grid or generate for the storage or split between the two at diminished capacity. Batteries suck at it, and while battery tech is improving, most large battery storage installs are still only 1 hour runtimes at max capacity. That's not enough, not nearly enough.
3. Good for you? Nobody here is saying "Renewables bad" we're saying the chart is incredibly misleading versus ACTUAL capacity and how much that 90% actually goes to replacing fossil fuel generation (which is from the charts, not much). Renewables alone are not going to offset our fossil fuel generation requirements and we haven't seen a single report that says its happening.
1 and 3: Oh I know it won't cut it as to fix the problem immediately; I was never expecting that. I was just saying that a bigger springboard for future projects/investments to make the process go quicker are always appreciated.
2. Also duly noted. I'm not worried about that as long as it eventually becomes sustainably efficient. If we reach that point this decade, all the better. All that demand and supply snowballing sure isn't wavering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

1 and 3: Oh I know it won't cut it as to fix the problem immediately; I was never expecting that. I was just saying that a bigger springboard for future projects/investments to make the process go quicker are always appreciated.
2. Also duly noted. I'm not worried about that as long as it eventually becomes sustainably efficient. If we reach that point this decade, all the better. All that demand and supply snowballing sure isn't wavering.

The problem is: We need it immediately, we don't really have the time to wait for Renewables to mature that much (and that's assuming they ever get to that point, there's no indication that will be true and every year wasted waiting for that to happen is another round of methane and carbon in the atmosphere making things worse.)

What renewables are good for is supplementing grid and decreasing demand on dispatchable energy like Nuclear and Hydro.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 7, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

and that's assuming they ever get to that point, there's no indication that will be true
Really?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The largest states that are pitching Renewables only are Australia and Germany, and they are both heavily dependent on Gas/Oil generating capacity and show no interesting in slowing down that usage, and even worse in Australia's case they are openly discouraging countries who are looking at Renewables and Nuclear to keep them dependent on Australia's Coal/Gas exports which are larger than Qatar and the US. Vietnam showed interested in going into Nuclear power and Australia actively lobbied against it.

Germany is expanding their largest lignite mine, greenwashing Nordstream 2 and wood pellet burning at coal plants. And they still produce more carbon emissions than France and a lot of their Nordic neighbors (see the twitter post I shared above).

Its incredibly ironic that Germany shuttered all their nuclear plants to buy Russian Natural Gas, while the Russians are rapidly expanding their nuclear baseload. Russian plans to increased their nuclear fleet to be 25% of their baseload by 2045.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

The largest states that are pitching Renewables only are Australia and Germany, and they are bush heavily dependant on Gas/Oil generating capacity and show no interesting in slowing down that usage, and even worse in Australia's case they are openly discouraging countries who are looking at Renewables and Nuclear to keep them dependent on Australia's Coal/Gas exports which are larger than Qatar. Vietnam showed interested in going into Nuclear power and Australia actively lobbied against it.

Germany is expanding their largest lignite mine, greenwashing Nordstream 2 and wood pellet burning at coal plants. And they still produce more carbon emissions than France and a lot of their Nordic neighbors

Its incredibly ironic that Germany shuttered all their nuclear plants to buy Russian Natural Gas, while the Russians are rapidly expanding their nuclear baseload.
So how can the renewables market/industry offset or mitigate this issue? I wish to become a major lobbyist for worldwide renewables production in the near future.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I irrationally like this method even though I know it will be really ugly.

We need to figure out how to make brutalist structures out of it.

It's neat, but I don't think it's remotely price competitive with grid scale batteries. 40 MWh of installed batteries is $30 million, and the concrete costs alone for an equivalent size tower of blocks is $26 million.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Blorange posted:

It's neat, but I don't think it's remotely price competitive with grid scale batteries. 40 MWh of installed batteries is $30 million, and the concrete costs alone for an equivalent size tower of blocks is $26 million.
Batteries have an absolutely garbage lifetime. They last maybe 10 years, and then have to be completely replaced. The concrete tower might be a dumb idea, I don't know, but the engineering equivalent of pumped hydro is at least going to last longer than batteries.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

So how can the renewables market/industry offset or mitigate this issue? I wish to become a major lobbyist for worldwide renewables production in the near future.

Primarily through storage and gas CCS. Batteries and flywheels can provide intraday storage and fast frequency response, while gas CCS plant can provide the bulk of mid merit output when RES output is low.

For longer duration and intraseasonal storage, hydrogen - either produced through steam reformation with carbon capture initially before electrolysis starts to play a bigger role in the 2030s - can play a major role. I would expect to see hydrogen combined cycle turbines taking over the midmerit role from gas CCS in the 2040s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aethernet posted:

Primarily through storage and gas CCS. Batteries and flywheels can provide intraday storage and fast frequency response, while gas CCS plant can provide the bulk of mid merit output when RES output is low.

For longer duration and intraseasonal storage, hydrogen - either produced through steam reformation with carbon capture initially before electrolysis starts to play a bigger role in the 2030s - can play a major role. I would expect to see hydrogen combined cycle turbines taking over the midmerit role from gas CCS in the 2040s.

If Gas Combined Cycle is the future of energy tech, we're hosed. The idea of allowing Fracking/Drilling to continue as normal as a supplement to renewables leaves us worse off than we are now.

Carbon Capture too is almost exclusively a Oil Industry push to give them right to continue business as usual like Carbon Taxes before. Right now, even the big hydrogen pushes are basically a Natural Gas/fossil subsidy as 96% of Hydrogen is fossil sourced. Hydrogen sources via electrolysis through Nuclear might have a future, but right now any talk of Hydrogen energy is almost entirely goalpost shifting to give the Fossil fuel industry more money.

Even more, lets say we take Carbon Capture seriously: We're talking about something that need a lot of extra energy hanging around to power it, and the problem remains that carbon capture is largely billed as "We can get our fossil fuels from the air" when the problem is "We need to stop putting them in the air as much as possible, period." And that's before we talk about the fact that Carbon Capture is not a closed cycle, its not 1:1 Carbon emitted from the air will be recaptured, its more like 0.66:1 as most Carbon Capture is only about 2/3rd efficient.

Nearly all the Carbon Capture/CCS/Hydrogen stuff is being bankrolled by companies that directly profit from continued use of fossil fuels. Electrolysis sourcing of Hydrogen has its own problems, as we head further into the Anthropocene and water needs grow, there's going to be more demand to keep water potable and in liquid form than to create hydrogen with it. With companies like Hershey's already betting big on water being the next big commodity, you really want to bet that we'll be sourcing our fuel from water versus just distilling and desalinating that water to sell as a commodity?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-25/big-oil-s-long-bet-on-hydrogen-offers-a-climate-lifeline
"See, we're not making petrol/gas/diesel, we're making hydrogen, so we're gonna need more drilling/fracking. Kthx" - Oil Companies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daneberhart/2021/03/09/oil-giants-bet-big-on-expected-2-trillion-carbon-capture-market/
"See, we're not polluting, because we capture it all!" - Oil Companies.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 7, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Infinite Karma posted:

Batteries have an absolutely garbage lifetime. They last maybe 10 years, and then have to be completely replaced. The concrete tower might be a dumb idea, I don't know, but the engineering equivalent of pumped hydro is at least going to last longer than batteries.

That and the rail thing (ARES).

You could have implemented ARES in 1900 with the tech present at that time. For large energy stores these should be cost winners.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

If Gas Combined Cycle is the future of energy tech, we're hosed. The idea of allowing Fracking/Drilling to continue as normal as a supplement to renewables leaves us worse off than we are now.

:words:
So what you're telling us is that there is in fact no good news in energy production right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

So what you're telling us is that there is in fact no good news in energy production right now.

There's plenty of good news: There's a lot of new nuclear plants going online, lots of renewable buildout is happening. The problem is we have to be careful to scrutinize the entire thing and not let ourselves get lost in the "Renewables good, more much be better", otherwise we'll just get gamesmanship over solutions that directly impact Humanities ability to survive on this planet.

You got SMRs, you've got higher efficiency solar cells, you've got thermal storage, you've got newer generations of wind farms, ocean wind farms going up....but we're still in a bad spot climate wise and that ecological and environmental debt keeps accruing interest.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

This seems a bit hyperbolic on battery lifetime no? They don't work for a decade and then just cease working. They get slightly worse every time you use them. 10 year old batteries aren't worthless, they just have reduced capacity (~80-90% of original capacity). Eventually they'd degrade enough to be worth more as recycled scrap than as batteries.

Aethernet posted:

Intraseasonal storage is a solution in search of a problem. Seasonal (and hourly!) production of solar and wind are generally inverse. Long term it makes a whole lot more sense to simply build out solar + wind with a large grid to compliment one another, rather than grid-scale months-long storage.

If doing so produces seasonal excess capacity, the excess would be better used to produce carbon-capture-derived liquid fuels for difficult-to-electrify transportation modes such as aircraft.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 7, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

bawfuls posted:

This seems a bit hyperbolic on battery lifetime no? They don't work for a decade and then just cease working. They get slightly worse every time you use them. 10 year old batteries aren't worthless, they just have reduced capacity (~80-90% of original capacity). Eventually they'd degrade enough to be worth more as recycled scrap than as batteries.
It's not hyperbolic. A daily use cycle on commercial lithium-ion batteries brings them to the point of failure in the 7-12 year range, lead acid batteries in closer to 5 years. As it stands right now, it's not cost effective to repair the batteries (if it's even possible). The diagnostic tools don't really exist, the batteries themselves aren't designed for field service, and I'm not entirely sure if the cells all end up with similarly reduced capacities over time, or it's some die completely while others maintain a high capacity.

Even if scientifically some of the cells still have high capacity at that point, diagnosing the differing capacity on thousands or millions of cells within the bigger battery installation isn't something we currently have the technology for, let alone the massive labor costs it would require to literally change out millions or billions of dead batteries on an ongoing basis, at the scale of worldwide utility distribution.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CommieGIR posted:

There's plenty of good news: There's a lot of new nuclear plants going online, lots of renewable buildout is happening. The problem is we have to be careful to scrutinize the entire thing and not let ourselves get lost in the "Renewables good, more much be better", otherwise we'll just get gamesmanship over solutions that directly impact Humanities ability to survive on this planet.

You got SMRs, you've got higher efficiency solar cells, you've got thermal storage, you've got newer generations of wind farms, ocean wind farms going up....but we're still in a bad spot climate wise and that ecological and environmental debt keeps accruing interest.

Well I mean, sure, but we're not in any position to make policy or decisions on any of these things. It'd be one thing if you were presenting this style of argument to some governing committee, but this isn't it, this is a community of ordinary people. I think it'd be better for us, the small, to focus on talking about new developments, and learning about the issues and becoming informed citizens, rather than focusing on repeating the same "No, nothing is ever good, it is never enough" message constantly. It's actively harmful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

Well I mean, sure, but we're not in any position to make policy or decisions on any of these things. It'd be one thing if you were presenting this style of argument to some governing committee, but this isn't it, this is a community of ordinary people. I think it'd be better for us, the small, to focus on talking about new developments, and learning about the issues and becoming informed citizens, rather than focusing on repeating the same "No, nothing is ever good, it is never enough" message constantly. It's actively harmful.

Unfortunately while we need to be optimistic, there tends to be a lot of greenwashing of tech that probably won't get us out of this.

You can discuss energy generation and still be skeptical, in fact its critical you remain skeptical, because the sort of people promising sunshine and rainbows are the same ones that are likely going to sell you up the river to keep doing the same old poo poo to make a buck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately while we need to be optimistic, there tends to be a lot of greenwashing of tech that probably won't get us out of this.

You can discuss energy generation and still be skeptical, in fact its critical you remain skeptical, because the sort of people promising sunshine and rainbows are the same ones that are likely going to sell you up the river to keep doing the same old poo poo to make a buck.

excuse me, that's doctor sunshine

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FamousKeven/status/1401871174192091137?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

This is untrue. We want to tackle climate change as cheaply as possible to ensure political support for decarbonisation is consistent. This means leveraging existing infrastructure wherever possible. If you don't like gas CCGT specifically, consider the Allam Cycle.

quote:

Carbon Capture too is almost exclusively a Oil Industry push to give them right to continue business as usual like Carbon Taxes before. Right now, even the big hydrogen pushes are basically a Natural Gas/fossil subsidy as 96% of Hydrogen is fossil sourced. Hydrogen sources via electrolysis through Nuclear might have a future, but right now any talk of Hydrogen energy is almost entirely goalpost shifting to give the Fossil fuel industry more money.

This is also untrue, although less so; yes, there's a big push from the majors for CCS and hydrogen but there's a lot of legacy industries like steel and cement production that need either CCS to capture process emissions as a consequence of carbon being part of the process or need hydrogen to produce high grade heat - which it says in one of the articles you posted. You can not like it, but without CCS a lot of people in places like Port Talbot and the Humber are going to lose their jobs as a consequence of decarbonisation. Carbon-free versions of these processes are being developed, but not fast enough to avoid impoverishing people.

[quote[Even more, lets say we take Carbon Capture seriously: We're talking about something that need a lot of extra energy hanging around to power it, and the problem remains that carbon capture is largely billed as "We can get our fossil fuels from the air" when the problem is "We need to stop putting them in the air as much as possible, period." And that's before we talk about the fact that Carbon Capture is not a closed cycle, its not 1:1 Carbon emitted from the air will be recaptured, its more like 0.66:1 as most Carbon Capture is only about 2/3rd efficient.[/quote]

I have no idea what you're referring to when you say 'getting fossil fuels from the air'; no-one beyond people wanting to make synthetic fuels says that and it's nothing to do with CCS. I also have no idea where you got the 2/3rds number from; existing plants like Boundary Dam have a 90% capture rate and it's only improving over time.

quote:

Nearly all the Carbon Capture/CCS/Hydrogen stuff is being bankrolled by companies that directly profit from continued use of fossil fuels. Electrolysis sourcing of Hydrogen has its own problems, as we head further into the Anthropocene and water needs grow, there's going to be more demand to keep water potable and in liquid form than to create hydrogen with it. With companies like Hershey's already betting big on water being the next big commodity, you really want to bet that we'll be sourcing our fuel from water versus just distilling and desalinating that water to sell as a commodity?

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/14/6624

It feels like you have your preferred route to decarbonisation, but there are multiple routes and some benefit some people more than others. I want the cheapest route that ensures everyone gets to improve their standard of living. Because that's the route that's most likely to stop the planet from burning.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Intraseasonal storage is a solution in search of a problem. Seasonal (and hourly!) production of solar and wind are generally inverse. Long term it makes a whole lot more sense to simply build out solar + wind with a large grid to compliment one another, rather than grid-scale months-long storage.

If doing so produces seasonal excess capacity, the excess would be better used to produce carbon-capture-derived liquid fuels for difficult-to-electrify transportation modes such as aircraft.

This is a reasonable point, but RES production isn't aligned enough to mitigate regular shortfalls that you'd need something else for, and is critically location dependent. Northern Europe won't have the same access to high irradiance that the Med might, for example. See https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148115303591. For the UK, there are potentiall shortfalls in non-windy winter days and particular summer evenings. You have a range of options to tackle this; in the longer run, interseasonal storage almost certainly has a role.

You are absolutely on the money on overbuilding to produce liquid fuels though; your choice of tech to overbuild will depend where you are in the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This contributes nothing to the thread, but thanks for coming back: Tells us more about how you don't want to harm your investments in Natural Gas and your direct connection to the natural gas industry?

If you want to go full Ad Hom, lets go. Don't dance around namecalling by dropping a twitter link. Also: Who the hell is that and how in any way does he have any authority about Clean Energy and Nuclear being some sort of out? Looks like he's some investment porfolio guy bragging about his cheek bones?

This actually addressed nothing? You didn't address both my links that showed Carbon Capture and Hydrogen pushes are largely being funded and driven by Fossil Fuel orgs, and did nothing to address my claim about how Electrolysis from water is a likely non-starter since demand for potable drinking water will likely outstrip demand for hydrogen from water.

Much like your previous nitpick session, you ignored all my claims just to repeat yours.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 8, 2021

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

This actually addressed nothing? You didn't address both my links that showed Carbon Capture and Hydrogen pushes are largely being funded and driven by Fossil Fuel orgs, and did nothing to address my claim about how Electrolysis from water is a likely non-starter since demand for potable drinking water will likely outstrip demand for hydrogen from water.

Much like your previous nitpick session, you ignored all my claims just to repeat yours.

I don't think you understood my point. H2 is being funded by FF companies, but it doesn't matter because the point is to save the planet, not care who does it. Evaluate the tech, not the proponent.

You haven't provided any evidence for your water claim; I provided you with a link to a paper on salt water electrolysis because the sea is, alas, continually rising. To make your claim meaningful you would need to show that:

- There is a finite cap on desalination;
- This cap is below the level of future demand for potable water.

Best of luck with that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

There is no cheap route that ensures everyone gets to improve their standard of living and also reverses climate change. But we'll keep choosing cheap, I'm fairly sure of that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

There is no cheap route that ensures everyone gets to improve their standard of living and also reverses climate change. But we'll keep choosing cheap, I'm fairly sure of that.
What could be super expensive now could be much cheaper later - two steps forward one step back.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

The UK's climate change committee estimates achieving Net Zero will cost the country less than 1% of GDP over the next thirty years. This is less than the trend rate of growth, so standards of living will improve. Assuming adequate distribution of wealth, of course, which is partly a separate question but one a sensible climate policy could aid in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aethernet posted:

I don't think you understood my point. H2 is being funded by FF companies, but it doesn't matter because the point is to save the planet, not care who does it. Evaluate the tech, not the proponent.

You haven't provided any evidence for your water claim; I provided you with a link to a paper on salt water electrolysis because the sea is, alas, continually rising. To make your claim meaningful you would need to show that:

- There is a finite cap on desalination;
- This cap is below the level of future demand for potable water.

Best of luck with that.

Yeah, the guys who lied to us and lobbied against environmental protection and climate change are totally going to be on the up and up this time. Best of luck with that.

It bears repeating: This will not be cheap, and we have zero reason to believe the Oil/Gas industry is not using them as a cloak to continue doing business as usual because that's what they've done in the past.

Evaluating the tech is one thing, but given that the tech is very much in line with ensuring they can write off their continued fossil fuel interests, its more than likely they want to preserve the lucrative industry they already have than transition to a new one, and you have not proven otherwise. Right now, as of today, there is no reason to believe Hydrogen will ever transition even a majority to electrolysis sourcing. None. Its 96% fossil sourced today, and given that electrolysis is an energy intensive process, this continues to be in line with my prediction that we need more energy to do this, not less, meaning more than storage and renewables alone can do. France is the only one with a feasible case, and its almost entirely being done with Nuclear power.

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/frances-7bn-hydrogen-strategy-could-feature-role-for-nuclear/2-1-872014

Grouchio posted:

What could be super expensive now could be much cheaper later - two steps forward one step back.

Capitalism's thinking is not going to save us or deliver us from the Anthropocene, anybody arguing its going to be cheap to fight climate change AND deliver the electricity needed to meet increasing demand is buying into the Greenwashing that we've openly demonstrated in this thread that is being used as a cover for fossil interests.

Thinking we're getting cheap out of the very hole we dug by being cheap is some MBA level bullshit.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 8, 2021

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It literally doesn't matter if the majority of hydrogen production doesn't transition to electrolysis during the next thirty years, as long as the carbon is extracted from the FF used to produce it and buried. GHGs are the enemy, after all. So evaluate the plans of the oil majors against that timeline, and see whether they'll roll out CCS fast enough on H2 production. If they won't, then they're the villains once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aethernet posted:

The UK's climate change committee estimates achieving Net Zero will cost the country less than 1% of GDP over the next thirty years. This is less than the trend rate of growth, so standards of living will improve. Assuming adequate distribution of wealth, of course, which is partly a separate question but one a sensible climate policy could aid in.

What's true for the UK isn't necessarily true for developing countries, which is most of them unfortunately .