Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I find audio transcodes way more often than video for my set up devices and it's such a small hit that I've never bothered looking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

Celeron processors that have quicksync will perform just as well as an i5 for hardware transcodes. There’s no need to spend more if you’re using quicksync.

This, a $200 desktop from dell outlet running Linux will out transcode anything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm did something change with the iPad client? My wife has previously been able to use it no problem with my Plex server for years but last night she got a notice saying she now has to pay for it to stream video.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Do you have a valid PlexPass?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
As far as I can remember the app has always required you to either have a Plex pass or to pay like 5 bucks for the app to unlock full streaming.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I don't have a PlexPass. All I can say is it's worked for my wife up til now somehow and now it doesn't :shrug: I have an Android tablet, I did pay for the app on that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It’s possible the app just updated or something and “forgot” that you already paid for it. Look for a “restore purchases” button somewhere on the payment screen.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Something just happened to my Plex server and when I logged in yesterday, it was missing all of my shared libraries and my username was some random gobbeldygook. I opened a ticket with one of my shares (the others were free ones I no longer use) but it was just very odd. When I changed my username back to what it was, it gave me a message that I needed to register the username first, which took like a minute.
Any ideas what happened? Did an update bork something?

Oddly, my personal library had stopped working a couple months back and I just never bothered figuring out what happened, but suddenly today it's back and running fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Organic Lube User posted:

Something just happened to my Plex server and when I logged in yesterday, it was missing all of my shared libraries and my username was some random gobbeldygook. I opened a ticket with one of my shares (the others were free ones I no longer use) but it was just very odd. When I changed my username back to what it was, it gave me a message that I needed to register the username first, which took like a minute.
Any ideas what happened? Did an update bork something?

Oddly, my personal library had stopped working a couple months back and I just never bothered figuring out what happened, but suddenly today it's back and running fine.

They messed with the usernames a while back, I find a lot of my users have a shortened similar version of their old names now. It was, and remains, quite annoying. Might be the same thing.

I had a few bugs with the new PMS upgrade today but it might've been something unrelated to it, all is resolved now at least.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Yeah this is something they did a few months back where if you only had an email address and not a username, they just assigned you one. Because I guess gently caress actually asking a user, "Hey. we want usernames so why don't you pick one?" instead of "Hey Plex user! you are now Bon2o9823498723489273498ohas@#$@ so log into Plex now!!"

I totally get pushing fixes and new features, but warn people or give them the option to opt out of things like Watchlist.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

But then your engagement metrics are low and there are investors to please.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder if it came from some sort of data protection freakout where having emails exposed as usernames was decided to be problematic.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder if it came from some sort of data protection freakout where having emails exposed as usernames was decided to be problematic.

If anybody can think of a plausible explanation for how this is problematic, I am professionally interested in hearing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't say they had a good reason to do it, but I could see someone getting wound up in a meeting and convincing enough others that it's a problem that they need to forcibly assign usernames to non-usernamed people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I didn't say they had a good reason to do it, but I could see someone getting wound up in a meeting and convincing enough others that it's a problem that they need to forcibly assign usernames to non-usernamed people.

I'm not questioning your reasoning, I'm genuinely asking what the reasoning might be (even if it's dumb), because I'm too tired to work it out on my own.

Violator
May 15, 2003

cruft posted:

I'm not questioning your reasoning, I'm genuinely asking what the reasoning might be (even if it's dumb), because I'm too tired to work it out on my own.

They could be wanting to bolt on social stuff, like sharing recommendations, likes, or reviews based on them wanting to be your hub for all streaming services, so they’ll need people to have usernames. Like a letterboxd replacement.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

cruft posted:

With many of the new privacy regulations around the globe, an email address is considered Personally Identifiable Information (PII), but a username is not. So I suppose Plex could have switched everyone over to prevent them from being sued but the rollout was not the best.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A few of the movies I added from about 4 months back to now had screengrabs from the film as the poster instead of... the poster. I can go in and edit them and then select the correct poster, but what gives? Here's an example:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It happens sometimes, I think it's from when it has the movie in the library but wasn't able to successfully scrape it. Why it doesn't delete the frame it grabbed once it's been scraped I'm not sure, maybe because sometimes people will use custom art and it doesn't want to remove that in case it was on purpose. It's nothing to worry about, at least.

(From memory, that particular movie got released with a different year in the folder tag to what the scraper was expecting which has been common in the last year because of delays, and that confused the scraper originally)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, any time I've seen that happen the issue was because Plex wasn't able to match the metadata to the entry in whichever agents you're using for that (TMD, TVDB, etc.). Once I fixed the match it pulled the correct posters and banners automatically.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess the crappy part is that it doesn't discard the screengrab after it does match. Oh well, I think the issue that was ultimately causing this is solved so nbd.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

You mean, like, it keeps that screengrab as an option in the poster menu, or that it doesn't automatically switch the poster away from the screengrab? If it's the latter then that's definitely not how it works for me, it should automatically switch to a theatrical poster.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

You mean, like, it keeps that screengrab as an option in the poster menu, or that it doesn't automatically switch the poster away from the screengrab? If it's the latter then that's definitely not how it works for me, it should automatically switch to a theatrical poster.

Yeah even if it knows what movie it is, it doesn’t switch to the poster. This will also only happen for some movies. Like one in four.

I think it had something to do with a dns issue I didn’t deal with.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

tuyop posted:

A few of the movies I added from about 4 months back to now had screengrabs from the film as the poster instead of... the poster. I can go in and edit them and then select the correct poster, but what gives? Here's an example:

If you have your library set to refresh metadata from time to time, (which is the default behavior, I believe), or you move your content, plex will have to rescan the file. Sometimes it gets it wrong.

Put the movie in its own folder; and manually add the poster to the same folder, and save it as poster.jpg. Plex will just use that instead of using tmdb

Welcome to managing your own server.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Looking for advice on downloads quality.

I have an international flight next month, and since we can’t fly over Russia that means 15 hours in the air. I want to download as much content from my server as possible. However, on an iPhone 13 mini I feel like I probably don’t need giant 1080p files that are like 4gb/hour.

What download quality settings typically result in no noticeable quality drop, but still reduce size? Right now I have it set for 1080p medium (12mbps) but I’m curious how low I can go. I can’t test it myself because with the downloads feature being messed up it takes me an entire night to download anything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

I have an international flight next month, and since we can’t fly over Russia that means 15 hours in the air. I want to download as much content from my server as possible. However, on an iPhone 13 mini I feel like I probably don’t need giant 1080p files that are like 4gb/hour.

What download quality settings typically result in no noticeable quality drop, but still reduce size? Right now I have it set for 1080p medium (12mbps) but I’m curious how low I can go. I can’t test it myself because with the downloads feature being messed up it takes me an entire night to download anything.

Honestly I’d try 720p 2mbps, I think it’ll be way less noticeable on an iphone mini than you’d think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

What download quality settings typically result in no noticeable quality drop, but still reduce size?

This is highly subjective. The only way to know is to try a few and see where your preferences lie.

But your biggest size improvements are going to be with smaller resolutions.

Personally, SD is just fine for me and the fam on most stuff. We're making out like bandits now that DVDs are going out of fashion.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cryptoclastic posted:

Whilst text and sometimes pictures benefit from 1080p or better screens on phones, you absolutely do not need 12mbit files to view things on a phone. The difference between 6mbit 1080 and 12mbit 1080 on a phone screen will be some artifacts the size of a hair.
720 should be fine unless you want to stick your phone to your nose.
n.b. you can test it just fine, play some content and just manually change the quality. No need to download.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Anyone ever get Plex just crashing silently over and over again? The only evidence I can find is in the Event Viewer isn't really much help in identifying the underlying issue. Closest I've read on community forums always mention various dlls, mine has nothing of the sort just generic errors:

https://imgur.com/a/Mhi1OSe

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What do the plex logs say? Also check the Windows System logs to any exceptions around the same time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Bonzo posted:

What do the plex logs say? Also check the Windows System logs to any exceptions around the same time.

I went ahead and found the correct logs and it seems to be subtitle related (.rear end specifically). Seems like a known issue with rear end and plex while being played on android devices (shield tv). The only option at this point is to hardcade the subtitles or make sure we don't select rear end subtitles from the options Plex gives while streaming on a device....

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

maniacripper posted:

I went ahead and found the correct logs and it seems to be subtitle related (.rear end specifically). Seems like a known issue with rear end and plex while being played on android devices (shield tv). The only option at this point is to hardcade the subtitles or make sure we don't select rear end subtitles from the options Plex gives while streaming on a device....

.rear end subtitles, while extremely flexible, have very limited device support via Plex (sometimes you get better results with Kodi or VLC or some such).

The only format that's guaranteed to work without triggering transcoding is .SRT, but that's considerably more limited in terms of what the subtitles can do. There are some unofficial formatting options bodged on too, but whether these work or not varies between clients (the subtitles will work but might show formatting codes it doesn't recognize instead of doing what it's supposed to).

I spend entirely too much time simplifying complex .rear end subs to .srt subs if I can't get a proper SRT version elsewhere (e.g. with Anime that isn't on Netflix) so it'll just work on my various devices.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm planning to rebuild my Plex box using one of those Minisforum mini PCs. It'll be a combo PC like my current Plex box: half media, half for emulation (I also use it to run an arcade cabinet).
However, given it's a mini pc I'm limited to 2.5 inch drives at most. I'd like to throw a 4TB in there for my Plex stuff since I've almost filled my old 3TB but it looks like my only options are spending $400+ CAD on a 4TB SSD, or the only single 4TB 2.5 inch HDD that seems to be available in Canada (Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM). However it's less than half the price.

I guess my first question is would a 5400RPM drive be fine for Plex? I've always avoided them in the past in favor of 7200RPM drives. Second, I'll be moving the box around a fair bit, taking it to friends' houses, a cabin without internet, that sort of thing, and I'm a bit worried about the occasional small drop here and there causing issues with the traditional HDD. How durable are those smaller high density HDDs?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

5400 rpm is fine for media. You might want to consider an external drive instead for simplicity, but if you're moving this box around a lot that might not be an option. You almost certainly want a small SSD to boot the OS from, though, new OSes run terribly on non-SSDs. Will your setup have room for two 2.5" drives (or will the mobo have an M.2 connector)?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I run my Plex off an old 10 year old NAS. It can choke on multiple torrents being shuffled around, but is more than sufficient for streaming video.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

univbee posted:

5400 rpm is fine for media. You might want to consider an external drive instead for simplicity, but if you're moving this box around a lot that might not be an option. You almost certainly want a small SSD to boot the OS from, though, new OSes run terribly on non-SSDs. Will your setup have room for two 2.5" drives (or will the mobo have an M.2 connector)?

I haven't decided on the exact model but they all have at least one M.2 slot and usually one or two 2.5 inch bays. The plan is to use the M.2 for a 2TB SSD for boot/emulation and then the 2.5 drive(s) for media/Plex.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Someone with a luxury yacht should be able to afford a 4TB SSD!!!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Actually digging a bit more never mind, looks like an internal 2.5 HDD of that capacity won't work since these mini PCs typically only fit drives with a max height of 7mm (vs. the 15-20mm the HDDs apparently are).

SSD it is I guess.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm planning to rebuild my Plex box using one of those Minisforum mini PCs. It'll be a combo PC like my current Plex box: half media, half for emulation (I also use it to run an arcade cabinet).
However, given it's a mini pc I'm limited to 2.5 inch drives at most. I'd like to throw a 4TB in there for my Plex stuff since I've almost filled my old 3TB but it looks like my only options are spending $400+ CAD on a 4TB SSD, or the only single 4TB 2.5 inch HDD that seems to be available in Canada (Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM). However it's less than half the price.

I guess my first question is would a 5400RPM drive be fine for Plex? I've always avoided them in the past in favor of 7200RPM drives. Second, I'll be moving the box around a fair bit, taking it to friends' houses, a cabin without internet, that sort of thing, and I'm a bit worried about the occasional small drop here and there causing issues with the traditional HDD. How durable are those smaller high density HDDs?

shuck a 2.5” 5tb external and slap it in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wow Plex HTPC. I am actually pretty impressed. Direct plays TrueHD 7.1, super fast, looks great.

No problems direct playing everything, including HDR and surround sound on Windows, the works. Not bad Plex, not bad.

e: between Plex HTPC for Windows and Infuse for the Apple ecosystem I feel like we have great options all around now. Though I love Infuse so much, it'll be hard to beat overall. But I honestly didn't think Plex could pull something off like this, they have been fairly disappointing lately, so yeah. Golf clap and onto better things for the service.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 27, 2022