Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

So, as regards CoD funtimes, people having life surmount pretendy fun time means my Mage game is paused in plot land. Which means I've been turning gears about Forsaken 2E settings, and am thinking of doing a historical setting, ~800 or 900 CE in Ruthenia, around the time of the rise of Viking chiefdoms along the Don and Volga. Near-constant war and nomadic activity have made the human condition out there tumultuous and brutal. The PCs would be a pack derived from individuals seeking to keep their shred of land from being swept up by any number of awful occurrences, from nomad raids, rival Viking pillaging, awful Slavic Old God spirits exacting blood tribute, and other myriad threats.

I, being a dumb newbie, have just discovered the TG game recruitment thread, and realized that there might just be people intrigued by this! I've decided I'm not going to want for Paradox to come out with their Vampire CK edition, and just do a historical CoD game myself, if enough are interested.

Vikings, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Loomer posted:

Vikings, you say?

Among other things, yeah. Also Slavs, Slavs everywhere. Includes comically evil steppe hordes, myriad monsters, rear end in a top hat spirits disguised as small gods, and people just being jerks to each other.

The idea is to fully facilitate the sandbox elements of Forsaken 2E, and allow the players to explore the vastly-expanded purview of 2E's packs, while keeping the scale grand enough to make it all interesting.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Demon's done, barring any entries that crop up in the 100+ novels and anthologies I still have to read (or if I already read, skim and finally enter into the database).

There are some 563 unique demons and angels. The published representation is 39% unknown House, 10% Devourer, 10% Fiend, 9% Defiler, 9% Scourge, 8% Malefactor, 8% Devil, and 7% Slayer. Of the total figures, there are 67 earthbound, coming in at 12% of the total, and 1/10th of the stated figure for how many earthbound there are in total. Population wise, going solely off what we have presented without considering demographics of cities etc, there's a minimum of one for every 11.5 million people on the planet. We have very few known locations for demons, which complicates, and presumably the number will grow quite rapidly as more and more are summoned from the Abyss, but that's the bare minimum canonical ratio.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WHOA
Scion 2e was funded in 37 minutes!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Did they put up the text / is it still horribly broken?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Swagger Dagger posted:

They put up the Greek pantheon, and a basic rules preview. Not the full text of the book, but enough to give a basic idea. It looks less broken than 1e (not hard), but we'll need to see the rest of it to know for sure

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

The more important question is, is it still horribly racist?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

hangedman1984 posted:

They've been pretty clear about making every possible effort to be culturally aware this time, and also label fewer goddesses as prostitutes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hangedman1984 posted:

Nope! I've been reading the material they've shown today and it honestly looks amazing. The setting also seems to be written with the intent that people are at least vaguely aware of the gods.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hangedman1984 posted:

How many of the Goddesses have prostitute alter egos?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

How many of the Goddesses have prostitute alter egos?

Literally none so far. Even Aphrodite. (The description of her focuses instead on fashion, cosmetics, the movie industry and so on.)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I never quite got into Scion, but it was an interesting read. Might get a PDF copy of 2E for that as well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I didn't much like Scion 1e and when I went to read the KS for 2e, I expected it to be decent but meh - nothing I'd be spending money on, certainly.

I'm going in for both books. If I had any criticisms, it'd be that Scion is being split into two books required for play. The first book, Origin, is going to be a worldbook of sorts and focus on the ground-level characters around - therianthropes, amazons, berserkers, pre-awakening Scions, etc.. The second book, Hero, is required for awakened, full-hero Scions, and will contain pantheons and Hero powers and so on. The pantheons will be: Algonquin, Aztec, Chinese, Egyptian, Greco-Roman, Hindu, Irish, Japanese, Norse and Yoruba. The Loa and Gauls will be included in a companion PDF, because stretch goal.

Scions, side note, can be born, created or chosen, and they are each flavored towards an archetype as well as a pantheon and god. Each pantheon has their own signature power again; for the Aesir, it's going to be fate magic and prophesy. For the Theoi (Greco-Roman), it's transformation of self and others. We don't know what the others have yet.

e: Text also mentions the Mesopotamian and Persian gods, but they're not core.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also worth noting: the world appears to be aware that supernatural monsters and gods exist. Norway maintains national parks that serve as troll preserves and has border watches in case of troll migration. A hydra is noted as having washed up in Nova Scotia and poisoned the beach it ended up on for years afterwards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mors Rattus posted:

Literally none so far. Even Aphrodite. (The description of her focuses instead on fashion, cosmetics, the movie industry and so on.)

Wow, I'm impressed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

Also worth noting: the world appears to be aware that supernatural monsters and gods exist. Norway maintains national parks that serve as troll preserves and has border watches in case of troll migration. A hydra is noted as having washed up in Nova Scotia and poisoned the beach it ended up on for years afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5qGE4PIdI

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Side note: even in the modern day, engineers perform rituals to honor Hestia, because they have noticed an empirical improvement in power plant performance when they do. She considers them to be hearths.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, I'm definitely going to have to take a closer look at 2E now. drat all of you for conspiring to drain my wallet.

On an unrelated note, people still seem to get real angry about the ahrimanes over on the OPP forums. It's kind of weird.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm probably reaching but this:

quote:

Risk: The books will take a long time to produce and anger the backers.

Solution: We've learned many, many lessons with our previous Kickstarters and we're becoming much better at estimating the various pitfalls that will delay a KS project. We were able to deliver the PDFs for several of our last KS projects several months before the estimate, and recent Kickstarters started shipping in the month or the month before we estimated. That being said, backers need to be aware that they are enabling a process, and not a pre-order opportunity, and things do sometimes run slower than we want or anticipate with that process.

feels like they're trying to head off concerns related to a certain other game of epic demigods Onyx Path kickstarted once upon a time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, this is the Gallant to that certain other game's Goofus so far. Fun Amazon fact: they're a steppes tribe, apparently, from a similar area as the Scythians. They also are mostly emigrated to urban areas, so I imagine there are Amazon bars, Amazon neighborhoods. And, most notably, the most common way they procreate is adoption - anyone that can fight and identifies as a woman can become an adopted Amazon. (The ones that like men also have sex with men and have kids, but that's less noteworthy.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Scion schmion, I want a Storypath SRD.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It looks neat.

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, this is the Gallant to that certain other game's Goofus so far.

Which game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note: even in the modern day, engineers perform rituals to honor Hestia, because they have noticed an empirical improvement in power plant performance when they do. She considers them to be hearths.

See, this kind of thing is more interesting than Just Another Masquerade.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Night10194 posted:

See, this kind of thing is more interesting than Just Another Masquerade.

Definitely. Going to be interesting to see how the Abrahamic faiths are shaped by this.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kavak posted:

Definitely. Going to be interesting to see how the Abrahamic faiths are shaped by this.

Let me tell you about a game series called Shin Megami Tensei

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bedlamdan posted:

It looks neat.

Which game?

Exalted.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

What's Exalted?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bedlamdan posted:

What's Exalted?

Third base.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

If you haven't seen Trollhunter, do. Should be on Netflix still.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bedlamdan posted:

Let me tell you about a game series called Shin Megami Tensei

Getting closer to SMT is usually a good idea.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Third base.

Then what the heck is first, second, and a home run?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kicked in for PDFs. Was pretty keen for physical copies, but US$45 for shipping killed that pretty quick.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bedlamdan posted:

Then what the heck is first, second, and a home run?

No, no, what's on second.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Kicked in for PDFs. Was pretty keen for physical copies, but US$45 for shipping killed that pretty quick.

This and Exalted are the two WW properties I like most, and I played SIFRP with one of the writers so I'm going in for a physical copy.

Mors Rattus posted:

No, no, what's on second.

you pissed away a good chance for something original with that setup fuuuuuuck

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

why would i bother putting in that much thought here

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah. I'm deeply unhappy about OPP's choice of international shipping provider. It costs me an arm and a leg and yet somehow the books come with barely any protection, and more than once I've had a dented corner or edge. For as much as they're charging, I'd expect my goods to get to me in one drat piece.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Loomer posted:

Yeah. I'm deeply unhappy about OPP's choice of international shipping provider. It costs me an arm and a leg and yet somehow the books come with barely any protection, and more than once I've had a dented corner or edge. For as much as they're charging, I'd expect my goods to get to me in one drat piece.

The only one I've shelled out for was Dark Eras, and I have no idea what condition that'll be in when it arrives because it still hasn't been printed, nearly 2 years later.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

why would i bother putting in that much thought here

Tbf that is my philosophy re: posts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

Tbf that is my philosophy re: posts.

We know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cptn_dr posted:

The only one I've shelled out for was Dark Eras, and I have no idea what condition that'll be in when it arrives because it still hasn't been printed, nearly 2 years later.

Usually it's acceptable enough that it isn't worth complaining, but enough of a ding it may not qualify as perfectly mint. Quite often they only pack one side with packing material, so the book is still sliding around a little in a cardboard box, being jostled about.