Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's very weird that crossbows are one of the only things that can knock a gunner out of firing, but they can't knock a gutter runner off someone. Bringing the rapier feels almost required when using a crossbow as the witch hunter for that reason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The crossbows are kinda weird weapons in general.

Really good in their own way, though a gun is usually better, but a mastercrafted crossbow feels like a bolt action rifle, almost.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The most frustrating thing about Gutters is how nobody ever pushes them. I think it annoys me more in particular because in the past when I was alone, the bots show how terrible they are by the fact they only, only attack a gutter by holding back their charge attack all the way before striking and when gutters pounce people in any other game with a full party, everybody suddenly goes braindead at the sound of it and can't figure out that you can just loving push it off and save everyone a lot of headache and damage.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Lune I have no idea what the hell you were on about about a 'glaive nerf'. It still one-shots Stormvermin on nightmare with the overhead attack just fine.

The weapon isn't behaving any differently than pre-patch at all.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Honestly even if it were heatseeking it'd be okay. But no it's heatseeking, limitless ammo, and piercing.

I don't know what that game is but it isn't the same as everyone else is playing.

Shut up I need the bolt staff to play the game for me because I am Very Bad

not even kidding, i like playing the game because of that item, i can't wait to get a non-white one

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's racist

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Willie Tomg posted:

Shut up I need the bolt staff to play the game for me because I am Very Bad

not even kidding, i like playing the game because of that item, i can't wait to get a non-white one

My blue one is rad and making it orange with the right traits is my priority even more than getting rupture on my soldier's handgun and I main soldier.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Can you make a blue item into an orange item? That would save me a fair bit of hassle.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The process of figuring out how busted the bolt staff has tracked my enjoyment of the game/figuring out the method to the madness of pushes->charging->dash steps->strong melee while venting heat and its really really pleasant to play even at those times you get cornered and shithoused by rogers on hard difficulty.

like at first it was: oh hey, this primary fire is really fun, i'm gonna use this, haha take that naked clan rats who die to harsh language anyway!
then: oh my god I oneshot stormvermin and specials with an almost hitscan projectile I love this weapon
then: oh my god i just cleared half a dozen clanrats off a buddy while swordfighting a mob i want to s+f this weapon
then: DID THAT LIGHTING BOLT JUST FOLLOW A GUTTER RUNNER OVER A WALL hey is there a way to run four bright wizards?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also Lune I have no idea what the hell you were on about about a 'glaive nerf'. It still one-shots Stormvermin on nightmare with the overhead attack just fine.

Yeah I'm still not seeing a nerf. The normal attack still bodyshots clan rats on cataclysm, which is a bit insane.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The first swing of the power attack, the uppercut, used to always kill stormvermin in 1 hit. The overhead being the only one to do it is really stupid and only feasibly works when it's the only thing in front of you.

Even if I'm remembering wrong, it's still pointless to do since they often come surrounded or someone else will delete it before you can manage 4 seconds to hopefully hit the only target that swing will hack.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 27, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

The first swing of the power attack, the uppercut, used to always kill stormvermin in 1 hit. The overhead being the only one to do it is really stupid and only feasibly works when it's the only thing in front of you.

That was never true. The key is to start far from them, swing the uppercut, and advance forward while you bring the overhead down on them.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Lunethex posted:

you can just loving push it off and save everyone a lot of headache and damage.

Huh, learn something new everyday

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tardcore posted:

Huh, learn something new everyday

lol I keep forgetting the game never tells you you can do that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was playing and I heard a line of dialogue from the Dwarf I'd never heard before. When the elf got hit by a packmaster, the Dwarf said that they hadn't crouched fast enough. I'm curious if crouching could actually help dodge a packmaster. Has anyone tried this?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

haha look at this guy who has never been hooked around sharp corners & doorways then pulled through the wall at the front of a slave swarm

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

haha look at this guy who has never been hooked around sharp corners & doorways then pulled through the wall at the front of a slave swarm

My favorite is the time the hookrat dragged our Saltzpyre into the escape area through the wall in Wizard's Tower, and after he died and respawned and I got him back up, he instantly flew back through the wall and died again.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I just got this on sale, anyone mind loving about with a noob tomorrow? Will do some OP reading and check the wiki.

Can i just use the CTS mumble to find a group?

Are the DLCs necessary off the bat?

any tips?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Waroduce posted:

I just got this on sale, anyone mind loving about with a noob tomorrow? Will do some OP reading and check the wiki.

Can i just use the CTS mumble to find a group?

Are the DLCs necessary off the bat?

any tips?

If you take damage, you did something wrong. Try to figure out what you could have done differently. Even on a good run you'll make a lot of mistakes, but that'll help you improve fast. Also block and shove shoves in a 360 arc around you so if you lose track of a rat, mix in a shove.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DenverFentonAllen posted:

yea you should, i wouldn't mind running through the game on any pre-cata diff.with you or something

thanks for the offer, but earlier today all i had left was the white rat and i managed to get in some pubbie group that was able to finish it on hard

of course, i was too late to get the quest for the trinket, but whatever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Start by playing on Hard. Normal and easy are too easy and give lovely rewards. Once you are comfortable with hard move up to nightmare

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i made sure to complete every mission on hard specifically so i could move up to nightmare when i felt like it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao a friend and i were attempting nightmare horn of magnus for a quest and someone joined and said 'uh i don't play nightmare with anyone under level 30' (i'm 18) and then left

nevermind the fact that i've played with level 50+ people who seemed to have less sense than i do

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I hate to say it but it's always worth being a bit suspicious of everyone, even if they're level 150+.

Digirat can attest to that when I went off on a Dwarf player the other week.

The guy runs through a horde as soon as an ogre spawns to jump to that safe awning just past the courtyard in Magnus with the 2nd grim, but gets pounced by a gutter and dies. In the process he leaves my flank open and I willfully took a lot more hits than the first two alerting me to his stupidity to tell him off. The dude had a grudge raker. There was nothing he was going to be doing against it from there at all.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

yes you can't ever tell someone's skill by their level

e.g I cleared white rat nightmare with a lvl60 group when I'd failed miserably with groups of 200+

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
After doing some Hard tonight, I'm definitely sure I'm not going to be playing that difficulty very much in the future(let alone the higher difficulties), game just becomes not very fun at that point for a whole bunch of reasons

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

List of pubbies you can trust:

List of pubbies you for sure can't trust:
Elves

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Modding Vermintide is pretty loving fun actually. Making the Longbow function as fast as the Hagbane probably won't save it though.

Can't find the drat trinket file. Did notice something about Poison level though, potentially being a maximum of 5. Interesting.

Oh, neat. They had intended there to be an Invulnerability Potion at some point. I found the file, lists that.

Figured out how to make weapons push rats like shields do :q:

Using daggers with dev blow to make rats flip up through the air like a shield with dev blow is hilarious.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 27, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So short of getting my dick hammered by pubbies tonight can I as a brand new player play with goons or are there level ranges?

I would appreciate anyone willing to run around with me and poo poo

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966968026/

This is me, would appreciate any adds, let me know who you are so i can message you later tonight, 8:30/9 Eastern

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nanomashoes posted:

List of pubbies you can trust:

List of pubbies you for sure can't trust:
Elves

Elf Pubbies Are The Worst.

Which is weird because the elf is incredibly good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The strongest option mechanically attracts scrubs that want to feel like they're good at the game. Even in a coop janky mess like this game.

KrolleBolle
Oct 26, 2005

Hello, Is this dog?
I always play the elf. That's my cunning plan to avoid other elf players.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The strongest option mechanically attracts scrubs that want to feel like they're good at the game. Even in a coop janky mess like this game.

I wouldn't say the elf is the strongest option mechanically. She's really goddamn good but the sword and dagger isn't actually any better than Saltzpyre's Rapier and stuff like shields, heavy two-handers, etc all have a lot of places in a party. She's really, really good at moving around, skirmishing, and clearing trash and if you can avoid ending friendships with it the Hagbane is great against targets like Roger, but she generally still needs the others unless you're a madman like Lune.

If you're Lune then yeah elf every day all day and solo levels.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's mostly a perception thing. Especially the auto aim weapons are viewed as op and are magnets for scrubs.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

drrockso20 posted:

After doing some Hard tonight, I'm definitely sure I'm not going to be playing that difficulty very much in the future(let alone the higher difficulties), game just becomes not very fun at that point for a whole bunch of reasons

My friend and I have been playing on normal. We just started playing on hard the other night. It's more intense, but I think it's a lot of fun, and we haven't seen any players who were quite as awful as the ones we see on normal.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'll give it to Fatshark, the Halloween Inn design needs to stay. Way better ambiance.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like the look of the Dwarf Ranger, Witch Hunter snd the soldier....

Are any of the heroes or weaponess useless/broken?

If im going to play ranger what are the best weapon combos to use?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waroduce posted:

I like the look of the Dwarf Ranger, Witch Hunter snd the soldier....

Are any of the heroes or weaponess useless/broken?

If im going to play ranger what are the best weapon combos to use?

As the Ranger, all his weapons are good except the hammer and shield (which is usable but for some insane reason its shield bash attack comes out slower) and the single-handed axe without a shield (which has no real advantages over the version with the shield). The two-handed axe is tricky to use and requires practice dodging and timing. Every single ranged weapon he has is good, from his double barreled shotgun to his crossbows to his crazy fire pistols you can get later. Any ranged weapon will do well with any of his good melee weapons.

Bardin is awesome.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Handgun is probably his most reliable weapon though. As much as I like the firedrakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find the firedrake pistols go really, really well with the two-handed axe, though.

• Locked thread