Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like if you grow carrots in your garden you'll start noticing that carrots with two prongs or that are a bit twisty happen quite a lot. However you never see that at the store. Why? Because people want perfectly straight carrots all about the same length so a lot of ugly carrots just get discarded as unsellable before the store even sees them.

I would like to think farmer's markets can be useful in counteracting food waste as far as "ugly" fruits and veggies go. If only more people would go to them to buy local produce, because they taste wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Often times, the ugly food the grocery stores pass on end up at farmer's markets being sold by whomever is willing to pretend they grew it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CSAs are loving great and you'll gladly eat all your ugly produce if you join one. Basically one has to plan all the dinners around what one gets that week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You guys realize that by the time we end hunger we will probably be throwing away 10x more food?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Liquid Communism posted:

It isn't.

The 'organic waste bin' just means they get to dump it in a particular part of the landfill.

Mostly those don't even make it to stores these days. Part of the whole marketing push behind 'baby' carrots is that they're basically cut with a waterjet from carrots too unsightly to otherwise sell. Those too unsightly for even that will go for juice, or cattle feed rather than ever going to retail.

Baby carrots are great because I can just dump a big of them in the pot when I’m making a stew, no prep!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Tasmantor posted:

Food waste anecdote, Mrs 'tor is the secretary of our kids local kindergarten and one of the reliable fundraisers is the Bunnings sausage sizzle. So we by like 60kg of snags and on the day there's a storm so before 7am the store cancelled it for safety reasons and gave us another date, so the wife and the president (who's vegetarian) take the snags back to woolies and get a refund and old mate comes out and takes 'em all. The pres' asks what they are gonna do with that many snags (it's a special order) and he says they will just throw them all away. They can't guarantee the safety of them anymore so *shrug* in the skip. Can't even give them to a soup kitchen or w/e. The president was p worked up over the whole ordeal poor thing.

That's my story.

Christ, that's a very australian paragraph.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

so a lot of ugly carrots just get discarded get turned into "baby carrots" or other processed carrot products like pre-shredded carrots.

Farmers and processors aren't dumb. They aren't just throwing away food that can be used for other things. And that's not altruistic: it's absolutely a financial motive.

Cut/frozen, juiced, slurried (for soups, etc) versions of produce that isn't the "pretty" stuff that gets sold as fresh is made all the time. You'll see this kind of processing all through the system for just about everything produced.

Liquid Communism posted:

The 'organic waste bin' just means they get to dump it in a particular part of the landfill.

This entirely depends on your area. Some municipalities take this seriously (SF is at the forefront) and some landfills do also. Much of it is turned into compost in those areas and it becomes a revenue neutral waste stream. Some municipalities are doing the same with solid waste post-processing.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
This is a call-back to some stuff discussed a few pages back, but I'd like to hear opinions on it regardless.

Could it be argued that Amazon is really about 3 companies anyway at this point?

Amazon is:

1) a sales processor of direct-to-consumer and proxy-to-customer via Fulfilled-by-Amazon transaction fulfillment, and produce various electronic gizmo's such as Echo and Tablet to facilitate this

2) an inventory management/order fulfillment warehousing company with delivery services in some markets

3) a massive internet infrastructure provider/host with computing and storage capabilities.. and various other crap

Since Amazon is all three these things, they can survive if their warehouse workers are unsatisfied in this sweat-shop like condition since they can ride out any unionization attempt with their diversified income by either just hiring scabs, firing and rehiring in the economically depressed areas they build these warehouses, or.... some other poo poo I don't have the imagination for.

It doesn't seem too complicated to break Amazon up to me.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 16, 2018

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
How would you split 1 and 3? As in how would you envision the company functioning?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Services like Digital Ocean, Back Blaze exist without having massive retail & advertising tentacles.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am not aware of any massive advertising/retailer that doesn't in house infrastructure. There's this weird break where AWS/Azure/Google whatever is crazy cheap for the vast majority of businesses, but for the big boys it would be massively more expensive.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 16, 2018

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

If that's the case, then why isn't any other major retailer like Wal-Mart/Target/Costco #2 in spaces where AWS is dominant?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

im depressed lol posted:

If that's the case, then why isn't any other major retailer like Wal-Mart/Target/Costco #2 in spaces where AWS is dominant?
Because their business isn't solely in the cloud? Because a truckload of their money is stuck in brick & mortar? Because their business model isn't the same at all?

Did you really need that said

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

im depressed lol posted:

Because Amazon is the only massive online retailer.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Because their business isn't solely in the cloud? Because a truckload of their money is stuck in brick & mortar? Because their business model isn't the same at all?

Did you really need that said

Right, and yes it does need be said. This discussion is in regards to the hypothetical breakup I proposed of an allegedly monopolistic behemoth. If 1 & 3 truly are impossible to separate*, and my silly proposal is a terror inflicted upon the reader due to my ignorance then I will accept that. I don't have an agenda and simply wanted to engage in conversation regarding this.

Edit*: added "to seperate" for clarity

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 16, 2018

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

It isn't.

I work in retail, the organics bins are sold to an actual company to use for compost. It may not be every store that does it, but I know my store it is. It may just be because there's a lot of agriculture near by that makes that sort of thing worth while. Like the breweries give their used mash away to the cattlemen and such.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

im depressed lol posted:

Right, and yes it does need be said. This discussion is in regards to the hypothetical breakup I proposed of an allegedly monopolistic behemoth. If 1 & 3 truly are impossible to separate*, and my silly proposal is a terror inflicted upon the reader due to my ignorance then I will accept that. I don't have an agenda and simply wanted to engage in conversation regarding this.

Edit*: added "to seperate" for clarity

It's all good. I really learned about this when talking to a guy from Conversant and he laughed about what the costs would be if they used a 3rd party.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

im depressed lol posted:

and my silly proposal is a terror inflicted upon the reader due to my ignorance then I will accept that.
I'm gonna go with this option then, this 'discussion' feels very much like those hypothetical post-breakup maps of the us. People love to draw dumb borders without thinking it through.

Amazon(hosting) only exists because amazon(retail portal) has to basically run the business to serve its own needs anyway, and its presence enables their core branded tech products.
Amazon(fulfillment and logistics) only exist because amazon customers expect a level of service that most third party amazon retailers cant provide and they try to avoid non-fulfilled stores whenever possible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Counterpoint, in most of the world these services are not merged at all. It's a development process unique to Amazon and the US, and it's one Amazon has strived for in order to facilitate the creation of its current monopoly.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Like the breweries give their used mash away to the cattlemen and such.

This is a internationally traded commodity anymore. DDGS, dried distillers grains, it's traded in bulk as an animal feed supplement.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Counterpoint, in most of the world these services are not merged at all. It's a development process unique to Amazon and the US, and it's one Amazon has strived for in order to facilitate the creation of its current monopoly.

The main reason this idea is worth considering, and as I realize I claimed I have no agenda I recognize I do with the following statement, is the working conditions along with the compensation provided by Amazon Fulfillment centers/warehouses appear to be neglected due to profitability in other sectors.

I mean, when a person as politically-loaded as Tucker Carlson is calling your company out on national Televsion for not compensating your employees fairly, it is worth examining any and all causes for this (embedded Tucker Carlson tweet below, probably won't show up if you have NoScript enabled):
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1035334044698009600

Edits: Tons of typo's, various bits of wordy-boring language condensed a bit. When I mentioned a lack of agenda in a post earlier I was referring to a sort of monetary, dog-in-the-race agenda. I.E. spreading FUD about Amazon because of an interest in shorting the stock.

VVV That's true, my phrasing is off and I apologize. I lack experience in discourse like this so give me the benefit of the doubt that I don't believe Tucker Carlson is a bastion of sanity and the only lens through which issues should be observed.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 16, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No, Tucker Carlson calling something out is not ever a basis to look into anything.

Dude you need to relook everything on which you base your understanding about the world

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

im depressed lol posted:

is the working conditions along with the compensation provided by Amazon Fulfillment centers/warehouses appear to be neglected due to profitability in other sectors.
No doubt amazon is poo poo, but monopoly is a poor fit, especially under the US interpretation of the term. Any strategy for dealing with them derived from that basis is going to be fundamentally flawed.

Nationalize amazon.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Reicere posted:

No doubt amazon is poo poo, but monopoly is a poor fit, especially under the US interpretation of the term. Any strategy for dealing with them derived from that basis is going to be fundamentally flawed.

Nationalize amazon.

Nationalization of Amazon would appear to be a solution in theory if presented as Amazon's control being akin to utility. Compared to some contrived scheme like a government mandated monopoly dissolution (i.e The Breakup of the Bell System), what I suggested is significantly different from what is traditionally considered a monopoly breakup.

As my naive proposal above is written, segmenting Amazon's business units rather than creating regional companies would probably not even legally fit the power of monopoly busting. Regardless of how you even split Amazon up, more than likely those remnants would coalesce back together ten years later like the liquid metal robot from Terminator 2.

Even if nationalization is the answer, my understanding of the political climate in the United States in 2018 is there are no left-leaning politicians or party remotely close to a position of power that could make this argument successfully anyway.

So what do, boss? Besides piss in a water bottle as my scanner beeps at me for being an inefficient meatbag, unable to collect inventory in the time to ship for same-day delivery... terrified that my algorithmic boss will determine I am unfit for continued employment?

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 16, 2018

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
Why should United States have full control of company that operates all over the world? And if one was to accept it, one would hope US is planning to nationalize all other US based shops at the same time.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Why should United States have full control of company that operates all over the world? And if one was to accept it, one would hope US is planning to nationalize all other US based shops at the same time.

I agree with youPoint noted*. The only thing that seems politically viable is presenting the issue as something amenable to a common person's point of view.

Enforce and/or create new rules regarding working conditions & provide a proper public, non-means tested safety net so a company like Amazon can not exploit its position as sole employer in economically depressed areas.

Edit*:just wanted to clarify as I'm not even sure it's semantically possible to 'agree' with that question in the literal sense but I want to note I understand the sentiment

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 16, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Companies off-loading as many operating costs to taxpayers as possible is a feature of our political and economic system, not a bug.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Companies off-loading as many operating costs to taxpayers as possible is a feature of our political and economic system, not a bug.

Plus, private industry has a huge vested interest in keeping people from realising that some things can be done better publicly rather than privately, such as health care or, in the other direction, the disastrous privatisation of British Rail. Capitalists hate the thought that something might be done as a service that is collectively and publicly funded, staffed and maintained as it interferes with their ability to exploit people for profit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

im depressed lol posted:

Services like Digital Ocean, Back Blaze exist without having massive retail & advertising tentacles.

At least one of which is doing nothing other than making a software interface and reselling amazon S3 storage.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

At least one of which is doing nothing other than making a software interface and reselling amazon S3 storage.
Huh? Digital Ocean is primarily renting out their own servers, and Backblaze couldn't afford S3 and has a very detailed blog about how they build their own storage infrastructure.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

im depressed lol posted:

The main reason this idea is worth considering, and as I realize I claimed I have no agenda I recognize I do with the following statement, is the working conditions along with the compensation provided by Amazon Fulfillment centers/warehouses appear to be neglected due to profitability in other sectors.

I mean, when a person as politically-loaded as Tucker Carlson is calling your company out on national Televsion for not compensating your employees fairly, it is worth examining any and all causes for this (embedded Tucker Carlson tweet below, probably won't show up if you have NoScript enabled):
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1035334044698009600

Edits: Tons of typo's, various bits of wordy-boring language condensed a bit. When I mentioned a lack of agenda in a post earlier I was referring to a sort of monetary, dog-in-the-race agenda. I.E. spreading FUD about Amazon because of an interest in shorting the stock.

VVV That's true, my phrasing is off and I apologize. I lack experience in discourse like this so give me the benefit of the doubt that I don't believe Tucker Carlson is a bastion of sanity and the only lens through which issues should be observed.

Tucker Carlson is going after Amazon because Trump is bitching about the Washington Post which is owned by Jeff Bezos. Walmart employes far more people and teaches them how to get subsidies food stamps etc.. far more aggressively.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't know if Walmart teaches people how to snag subsidies any more. I've never had any material relating to it shown or taught to me during my time.

Also walmart pays more than Amazon these days. It's still a lovely company, but it at least made some changes due to all the bad press. Amazon will too. A lot of it is token though, and it's by no means a replacement for a economic system and a society that treats workers better, but it's at least some small condolence that things can be nominally improved. Bad press is useful.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

pseudanonymous posted:

Tucker Carlson is going after Amazon because Trump is bitching about the Washington Post which is owned by Jeff Bezos. Walmart employes far more people and teaches them how to get subsidies food stamps etc.. far more aggressively.
He criticizes Walmart (and Uber) for that right after Amazon in the same segment, it's in the video.

The rest of it is a giant non-sequitur though, and he's blaming it all on protective regulations, which is complete nonsense (especially in Uber's case, where literally the opposite is true).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've had to use food stamps extensively in the past but, despite many lovely jobs, nobody has ever encouraged me to use them. Mind you, I've been fortunate enough to never work at Wal-Mart but I did work at a shop that sold mostly carry-out alcohol (many names for that type of shop; depends where you live) where they had workers who had worked there for two years who were still making minimum wage.

I did once work at a department store where, during training, they showed a video where they didn't actively condemn unions, but they did everything possible to discredit unions as bad without saying so directly. They employed tactics such as "Unions are private entities who want to make money by collecting your dues." Of course, there was no video for the sake of balance where they said "We are a privately-held corporation whose only interest is to make money, and we do so by paying you as little as possible and manipulating markets and governance to suppress wages."

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

I've had to use food stamps extensively in the past but, despite many lovely jobs, nobody has ever encouraged me to use them. Mind you, I've been fortunate enough to never work at Wal-Mart but I did work at a shop that sold mostly carry-out alcohol (many names for that type of shop; depends where you live) where they had workers who had worked there for two years who were still making minimum wage.

I did once work at a department store where, during training, they showed a video where they didn't actively condemn unions, but they did everything possible to discredit unions as bad without saying so directly. They employed tactics such as "Unions are private entities who want to make money by collecting your dues." Of course, there was no video for the sake of balance where they said "We are a privately-held corporation whose only interest is to make money, and we do so by paying you as little as possible and manipulating markets and governance to suppress wages."

I forget the specifics of what was said, but I worked at best buy when I was in college twelve years ago and I clearly recall having to sit through an anti-union/organization video and that our manager had to say a few words afterwards. I wish I remembered what was said, and wonder if they are still showing new hires that baloney

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 18, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My boss warned me to never let anyone in real authority hear me talk about unions, else I'd find myself possibly unemployed.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jivjov posted:

My boss warned me to never let anyone in real authority hear me talk about unions, else I'd find myself possibly unemployed.

Forming solid unions in many states to ensure workers' interests: illegal

Firing someone for talking about forming a union: Perfectly legal

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Wal-mart's training vids tell you that Wal-mart already gives you plenty of benefits, and if it had to negotiate with unions you might end up with FEWER benefits and DUES to pay. Because unions are political and bad, you see, and that 'union rep' might not even be a union, just a guy trying to steal money from you.

I wonder if that was an effective grift at any point in the history of mankind; just fake being a union rep, accept cash up front, and then disappear.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
My first job was a Kmart and they had one of those things, and it was like "look at how much money you'd make if you put those union dues in a savings and retirement plan instead!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When the reality is that a good union contract will have company matching outlined in it.