Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress a system we created that eventually gave some power to the younger workers, just throw more brain rotted boomers at the problem until it goes away for a few more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Different chat than my boomer hate, the import function of MyFlightBook is great. I have a lot of flying where I’d go months on the same tail, so I can just copy/paste a spreadsheet with the applicable columns only, mass upload it, then MFB is like “yeah I recognize that type, I’ll fill in the airplane-specific bits for you.”

It’s accelerating the process of converting my logs significantly.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

drat, if I had more advance notice of this I would’ve flown down to GSP today just to troll him. Clearly we (airline management) learned a lot the last time the age was raised from 60 to 65.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Butt Reactor posted:

drat, if I had more advance notice of this I would’ve flown down to GSP today just to troll him. Clearly we (airline management) learned a lot the last time the age was raised from 60 to 65.

That probably made the current situation worse, given that a bunch of people who would now be in the absolute prime of their career... got shafted and their progression delayed, and then a bunch of old folks wandered off with generous pensions right around the start of the COVID pandemic.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

That probably made the current situation worse, given that a bunch of people who would now be in the absolute prime of their career... got shafted and their progression delayed, and then a bunch of old folks wandered off with generous pensions right around the start of the COVID pandemic.

Between 60->65 and the 1500 hour rule, I think you're right.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This seems like a fairly basic question but it occurred to me I have no idea how to answer it: Is there a readily available tool to calculate flight times from two points for non airline flights? Eg- If I had a Cessna or whatever how could I go about figuring out how long it’d take me to fly to an airport the next state over?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Average cruise speed in knots -> convert to MPH

distance in miles / cruise speed MPH?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Warbird posted:

This seems like a fairly basic question but it occurred to me I have no idea how to answer it: Is there a readily available tool to calculate flight times from two points for non airline flights? Eg- If I had a Cessna or whatever how could I go about figuring out how long it’d take me to fly to an airport the next state over?

https://skyvector.com/

You'll have to find out how fast the airplane is, but it'll do the rest of the math for you

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Warbird posted:

I assume that you are not a pilot. This is a skill you learn as part of private pilot training. As part of training you will do it manually but these days there are apps that will do every part of trip planning for you. Foreflight is probably the biggest.

If you want to try flight planning for free I recommend Skyvector.com

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Same way you'd do it for any other vehicle: Distance/average speed = time in hours.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Zero One posted:

I assume that you are not a pilot. This is a skill you learn as part of private pilot training. As part of training you will do it manually but these days there are apps that will do every part of trip planning for you. Foreflight is probably the biggest.

If you want to try flight planning for free I recommend Skyvector.com

I am but a simple moron. I’ve got family driving up to see the baby and was musing about how much faster it might be if they flew vs driving vs an airline. That should do nicely, thanks.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You are a pilot?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warbird posted:

I am but a simple moron. I’ve got family driving up to see the baby and was musing about how much faster it might be if they flew vs driving vs an airline. That should do nicely, thanks.

If you're travelling in a light aircraft, the sort that you wouldn't have to be particularly wealthy to operate on a whim, your trip better be more about the journey than the destination. It's not exactly a reliable means of transportation, you're likely to be grounded by weather that larger aircraft would simply shrug off or go around/above, and there's a lot bits that can break and then -- oops, you're stuck!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
That calculation will give you a wrong answer, it won't include the preparations and checks before you can get airborne.

First the family needs to pack their junk it the car and drive to the airport, which may be in the opposite direction of their target. At the airport they need to unpack everything, carry them to the plane an repack. Then the pilot will conduct a preflight check of the plane, probably take a sample from the fuel tanks to check for water contamination. Maybe the plane is in the back of the hangar and you need to move other planes out of the way first.

When all the junk and people are loaded up and belted in the pilot can begin the startup procedure. When the plane is ready to move you can start taxing towards the runway, while communicating with the tower. This too will take at least few minutes. Just before the runway you do the last checks, the tower will give the permission, line up and the trip can finally start!

You reach the target airport and do the process in reverse, except you need arrange someone or taxi to come pick you up, those small airfields probably don't have rental service.

Oh, unless there is a low cloud cover above either airfield or somewhere between them and you get to cancel the trip. Unless the trip is very long or you need to cross an ocean it's simpler to take a car.

Whenever I have gone flying it hasn't been a quick process, even when there was nothing to pack.

Now that we have shown how impractical travel method general aviation is, we can conclude that it's best to stick to gliding. We only bother to do it on fair weather, there is no room for suit case so minimal packing, and you will return to the same airfield where you left your car. Unless the weather wasn't fine enough and you get to arrange a pick up party from some random farmfield.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well of course, I thought that went without saying. :v:

I’ll fairly often see smaller twin engine deals buzzing around from random airport A to B at all hours of the day and night and always was vaguely curious what the use case there was. Thought it could be because they hate money or were in a particular hurry.

I have a buddy that has a habit of falling rear end backwards into hanging out with people with too drat much money. Fellow he was working out with was looking to buy some half million dollar single engine deal for the sole purpose of getting to and from a hunting lease across the state before the sun came up. It always struck me as a fairly impractical way to light a pile of money on fire but if it’s that fast vs driving then good for him I guess.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Warbird posted:

they hate money

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Saukkis posted:

Unless the weather wasn't fine enough and you get to arrange a pick up party from some random farmfield.

I've always wondered how annoyed farmers get when a glider randomly shows up in their corn/soy/whatever field.

When you land out how much does ease of recovery factor into your landing site selection process? I would imagine that landing in some random grass field only to find that it's inaccessible to any vehicles capable of towing a glider has to really suck.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

I've always wondered how annoyed farmers get when a glider randomly shows up in their corn/soy/whatever field.

When you land out how much does ease of recovery factor into your landing site selection process? I would imagine that landing in some random grass field only to find that it's inaccessible to any vehicles capable of towing a glider has to really suck.

I’ve never landed a glider off-airport, but for balloons it’s second only to safety.

When you’re looking for a place to land, the first thing is safety. Will you damage your aircraft or anything on the ground? That includes crops, as farmers really don’t like it when you land in a planted/growing field. You could also damage the field and/or the recovery vehicle if it’s too soft or wet. Sometimes you’ll have to pay compensation depending on how much damage you do if you do end up in crop. Also, some people are just shitnuts and will threaten to shoot you (or sometimes shoot at you) if you appear on the or land without permission. Those people tend to become known to everyone very quickly.

That’s when accessibility issues like fences and whether the landowner is on site to give permission to enter become a factor. I’ve landed in places where I found out after I’m down that the only way in is by crossing a stream (which may nor may not be possible, depending on how much it rained recently.) Locked gates are a constant issue.

If I’m having any sort of an emergency, then I’ll land anywhere safe (though accessibility matters, depending on the type of emergency).

But in regular practice I’m constantly looking ahead and evaluating the quality of the landing sites I have. I’ll usually try my best to have my chase vehicle get ahead of me and get the crew to give me an assessment of the field/site and it’s access, then get permission to enter. It’s not always possible to do that, especially if it’s a fast day.

It’s not uncommon to land somewhere and then be told you can’t bring a vehicle in and you have to carry the balloon out by hand. It sucks a lot, they’re not light.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Atlas Air is getting sold. Is it ever a good thing when a company gets bought by private equity?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Two Kings posted:

Atlas Air is getting sold. Is it ever a good thing when a company gets bought by private equity?

It is not.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s because I just uploaded a new resume version to their portal. I brought the whole thing down.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Oh yeah, well I cancelled a Frontier interview and Spirit backed out that same day :smug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Two Kings posted:

no never, it's house flipping for business

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

shame on an IGA posted:

no never, it's house flipping for business

If it’s not a good thing, is it usually a “bad thing” or “nothing thing” for new or prospective employees?

I still liked the idea of going Atlas someday.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

If it’s not a good thing, is it usually a “bad thing” or “nothing thing” for new or prospective employees?

I still liked the idea of going Atlas someday.

They bought Frontier a while ago and nothing negative seems to have happened to the crews, so far. It’s hard to tell but in a scale from being bought by Gordon Gekko from Wall Street to Hank Scorpio from The Simpsons… probably somewhere in the middle.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I wouldn’t get too sad. You can’t throw an application at the wall without getting a CJO. Ask me how I know!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

They bought Frontier a while ago and nothing negative seems to have happened to the crews, so far. It’s hard to tell but in a scale from being bought by Gordon Gekko from Wall Street to Hank Scorpio from The Simpsons… probably somewhere in the middle.

If it gets rid of JC I am here for it.

cant wait for that statement to come back and haunt me in a few months

They seemed to do okay with Sun Country though, that at least gives me a little hope. :unsmith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They own Sun Country too?

Who also have Amazon contracts?

Oh they are totally going to merge you and sell the whole thing to Bezos.

Enjoy the Amazon "lifestyle"!

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
At least the pee bottle has been a proud aviation tradition for a long time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Meanwhile, jetBlue is following through on their plans to gobble up Spirit because reasons. Word is they're UPPING capacity on some of their own A321s as part of this. :ironicat:

Can't wait for them to be horrified that everything between Pittsburgh and Kansas City is a place and whack service to all of them since they've never figured out how to do anything other than Transcons and N/S flying along the East Coast.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I worked a couple hours a day for the last 2 weeks and my logs are officially digital. I’m buying myself a drink tonight.

Feels good to be caught up! I can finally dig up stats I didn’t keep a column for in a minute instead of half an hour.

Also props to MyFlightBook and the people who recommended it. Worked well and now I have all of my stuff backed up in that and a massive spreadsheet just in case.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
my flight book is the bees knees

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just used it to throw Atlas a freshly totaled resume and application.

2500 TT, 1980 Multi, 1860 Turbine, 320 TPIC, 3.5 type ratings without botching a sim ride.

Let's see if they call.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

Just used it to throw Atlas a freshly totaled resume and application.

2500 TT, 1980 Multi, 1860 Turbine, 320 TPIC, 3.5 type ratings without botching a sim ride.

Let's see if they call.

Hey just wondering, are you applying elsewhere?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna be, I just did them first because I already had a profile so applying was a 5 minute thing.

Edit: had a friend at AA offer me an internal rec so that’s gonna be next. You never know :v:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 6, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did a short phone thing with the chief today, I have a follow up on the 22nd for presentation and 23rd for interview. I was having a hard time with the call quality but it sounds like they are going to be emailing me more details.

Any tips?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Did a short phone thing with the chief today, I have a follow up on the 22nd for presentation and 23rd for interview. I was having a hard time with the call quality but it sounds like they are going to be emailing me more details.

Any tips?

The packet will have literally everything you need to know. It’s a pretty bog standard airline interview beyond that. TMAAT, how would you handle, etc.

If the presentation is anything like when I interviewed it’ll have a real thirsty vibe like they’re trying to sell you on the company, not vice versa.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just got the packet, seems like nothing abnormal. I need to add some data to the digital logbook I just finished but it’s already 99% of what they want.

It also included a study gouge for the technical portion lol. Love that.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

Just got the packet, seems like nothing abnormal. I need to add some data to the digital logbook I just finished but it’s already 99% of what they want.

United does pretty much the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

A airline that provide they own gouge for an interview. A shameful airline.

Back in my day we had to go to APC and read hundreds of pages of interview threads to get our gouge and we liked it!