Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

they could make eve good, but whether or not people would come back is a big question

the real addicts always come back. question is how many haven't already died from heart disease since they quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

chupacabraTERROR posted:

the real addicts always come back. question is how many haven't already died from heart disease since they quit

me

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the direkkktorate itt will be happy to know that, at least among the members of the low sec corp i am in, believe that the CCP dev team is infested with gon and that leadership gets intel in advance of everyone else because of it

what is old is new again. bob is goons, anime is cartoons

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Just type Z in local and all the blues will show up.

r

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Z

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

r

But in all seriousness, the level of delusion GSF inflicted on the rest of this game is amazing.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 7, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

z

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't "no local" pretty much the standard in most MMOs anyway? I've only played 2 other MMOs but neither of them had a chat that would tell you some dude was within spitting distance. There may have been regional chat windows, but that would be like all of Delve having a shared chat instead of every system.

Most MMOs don't have things like permanent loss mechanics or non-consenting PVP, let alone the two things together in the same pot. Many don't let you talk to the opposite faction at all. Comparing EVE to other MMOs to justify a decision in EVE is always going to ring hollow.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Me too. I stayed on the wagon long enough to get inactive punted too.
Now I am sitting here clawing on the door like a cat that wants food...

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Warmachine posted:

Most MMOs don't have things like permanent loss mechanics or non-consenting PVP, let alone the two things together in the same pot. Many don't let you talk to the opposite faction at all. Comparing EVE to other MMOs to justify a decision in EVE is always going to ring hollow.

Add into this invisible ships that can warp in other invisible ships from other regions. Wormholes spawning behind you defensive lines. Etc.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Gearhead posted:

Add into this invisible ships that can warp in other invisible ships from other regions. Wormholes spawning behind you defensive lines. Etc.

Yeah, all the cool fun poo poo

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
All that cool poo poo was balanced against also being visible in local so.. this is gonna get ugly for a bit.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

someone do that querns gimmick where he quotes pubbies complaining about the game state except do it with quotes from people with GSF flair telling someone to htfu. i'm not going to trawl through r/eve long enough to get any good ones

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

someone do that querns gimmick where he quotes pubbies complaining about the game state except do it with quotes from people with GSF flair telling someone to htfu. i'm not going to trawl through r/eve long enough to get any good ones

those are like 50% flair baiters though

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm still hopeful they make dscan interesting with things like active and passive scanning, results on the overview and with different levels of fidelity ("battleship-sized contact", etc.). Basically, take cool things from naval and submarine warfare.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Ynglaur posted:

I'm still hopeful they make dscan interesting with things like active and passive scanning, results on the overview and with different levels of fidelity ("battleship-sized contact", etc.). Basically, take cool things from naval and submarine warfare.

What about the occasional false positive?

e: Unless things have changed, the d-scan was a far too accurate tool for my taste. With no requirement or module, you just get it. It should probably only report the size of ship hulls, not the type. Again, unless things have changed.

friendlyfire fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ynglaur posted:

*sucks air through teeth*

I dunno... That sounds way too much like engaging gameplay to me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It should definitely require modules to do cool things. Auto ping, faster refresh, longer range, greater fidelity... all kinds of good ideas could be messed around with.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Ynglaur posted:

It should definitely require modules to do cool things. Auto ping, faster refresh, longer range, greater fidelity... all kinds of good ideas could be messed around with.

Unfortunately, they all rely on taking away or degrading a basic, already-provided capability, and gamer psychology involves significant loss aversion.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

friendlyfire posted:

Unfortunately, they all rely on taking away or degrading a basic, already-provided capability, and gamer psychology involves significant loss aversion.

you mean like local in null?

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Micromancer posted:

you mean like local in null?

The jury is quite out on whether this will prove to be a mistake from a business perspective. There is a reason CCP does not tamper with stuff like this every day. I mean aside from the fundamental incompetence that haunts their every endeavor.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
/usr/local/bin/loonies > /dev/null &

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

join Groon

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kesper North posted:

> /usr/local/bin/loonies | mail -s "Complaints" diplo_kesper@goonfleet.com

# grep diplo /etc/mail/aliases
diplo_kesper: /dev/null

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
At least you didn't create an A record; then I'd really be in a BIND.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kesper North posted:

At least you didn't create an A record; then I'd really be in a BIND.

That TXT would only SRV CHAOS, AAAA

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

join Groon

is it back

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

What is dead can never die.

So no.

Edit: Unless you like Bloodbowl.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

can we make them take Xenuria

and Lyris

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rust Martialis posted:

can we make them take Xenuria

I've never been in Groon but I think I can speak for all of them when I say no

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
I think it is cute how people think CCP nullsec blackout thing is going to make the game better or that they will have good ideas after. I think it is a temporary way to gain some attention and then they will just sit back down and be lazy. Every 5 mins in theta there was someone asking about the blackout or saying they just got back and want to know more. This whole thing can go very wrong for CCP.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It won't have the effect people crowing for it think it will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't "no local" pretty much the standard in most MMOs anyway? I've only played 2 other MMOs but neither of them had a chat that would tell you some dude was within spitting distance. There may have been regional chat windows, but that would be like all of Delve having a shared chat instead of every system.

the game has been balanced around the existence of local for a decade and the chances that ccp are going to go rebalance all that stuff are approximately zero

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

evilweasel posted:

the game has been balanced around the existence of local for a decade and the chances that ccp are going to go rebalance all that stuff are approximately zero

Right, the whole reason people were mad due to local chat channel being broken, was that you couldn't tell who was in your precious space. Ccp even gave out skillpoints to compensate. I think if they do stick it with it, they will lose such a huge number of casual players. It could also go somewhat right for them and bring some life into lowsec. Who knows what will happen? I personally think it wont really be too great. People adapt to change but at what cost?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ragedx posted:

It could also go somewhat right for them and bring some life into lowsec. Who knows what will happen?

Fairly certain pvp based entirely on dunks and total risk aversion is not going to be enhanced by not knowing who's in system.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Something that a lot of folks who are excited about no local in nullsec seem to think is that player behaviors won't change. They think that they'll see the target density and ship dispensation of today waddling along like nothing has changed. And, sure, maybe for a week, it will be the case. Problem is, humans have this pesky pattern recognition ability.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Something that a lot of folks who are excited about no local in nullsec seem to think is that player behaviors won't change. They think that they'll see the target density and ship dispensation of today waddling along like nothing has changed. And, sure, maybe for a week, it will be the case. Problem is, humans have this pesky pattern recognition ability.

yeah this is the basic leap of logic most of the "just abolish local, problem solved!" people have never been able to make

local is not a particularly great system but nobody's replacements ever stop to think about "how do i incentivize people to put themselves at risk so they can be ganked" instead of just "make it easier for me to gank them!!!!!!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

local is not a particularly great system but nobody's replacements ever stop to think about "how do i incentivize people to put themselves at risk so they can be ganked" instead of just "make it easier for me to gank them!!!!!!"

The Globby Paradigm.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

The Globby Paradigm.

How to Gank While Being Repeatedly Banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

How to Gank While Being Repeatedly Banned

or

How To Play And Get 100s of Billions Of Isk Super Easy While Also Not Playing This Dead Game.