Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am having a hard time phrasing this post, are you saying there is a 18xx with Kasen and Marisa, because bitch show me the money, so i can use that money to buy it

Chill la chill is doing a vaporwave redesign pnp of 1860 to practice for his magnum opus, 18Touhou. Printing and playing it will be a herald of anime Azathoth so I expect it to be complete around 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fellis posted:

Chill la chill is doing a vaporwave redesign pnp of 1860 to practice for his magnum opus, 18Touhou. Printing and playing it will be a herald of anime Azathoth so I expect it to be complete around 2024

To be accurate, 18Touhou will mainly feature Yukari as she summons trains. There's enough artwork of 2hu characters riding/using trains that I think it'll work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chill la Chill posted:

To be accurate, 18Touhou will mainly feature Yukari as she summons trains. There's enough artwork of 2hu characters riding/using trains that I think it'll work.

godspeed and please include kasen and Kosuzu

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Chill la Chill posted:

You should wait until Touhou 18.5 gets translated, since that one appears to be about striking oil in 2hu land. That way you can have all the 2hus related to industrialization.

Also, Via Nebula is a good game, and I have no idea why Amazon wants to dump it so badly. Pictomania is also a good game, abet rather stressful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fellis posted:

It's impossible to have an anime 18XX because nobody in anime is actually 18.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

golden bubble posted:

You should wait until Touhou 18.5 gets translated, since that one appears to be about striking oil in 2hu land. That way you can have all the 2hus related to industrialization.

Also, Via Nebula is a good game, and I have no idea why Amazon wants to dump it so badly. Pictomania is also a good game, abet rather stressful.

Excellent. I hope I'm not getting anyone's hopes up. I do these things when I can and sometimes it's a burst of activity followed by nothing for a while. I want to say I'm done with 2860 but I've hit a snag with the tiles so I could just leave it be for now and play with regular tiles until I make another set with rainbow road.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, I was getting so excited to play Dune after hearing everyone talking about it and reading tons but now I hear that there are some serious shortages, at least in Canada, and I might not get to see my copy until the second print run. Apparently the publisher has a reputation for pulling stuff like this.

Worst part is that the order is holding up other stuff I ordered as well! My roads! My boats!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, I was getting so excited to play Dune after hearing everyone talking about it and reading tons but now I hear that there are some serious shortages, at least in Canada, and I might not get to see my copy until the second print run. Apparently the publisher has a reputation for pulling stuff like this.

Worst part is that the order is holding up other stuff I ordered as well! My roads! My boats!

Yeah I have no idea when mine will ship from csi but I don't have a burning need for it so whatever.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

Ugh, same here. It's holding up a shitload of stuff for me. :shrug:

Still probably won't touch my pre-order of High Frontier 3rd Edition which I eventually just cancelled after like two years I think.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

I'm keen to try the Possum, he looks like a bastard.

TOBY

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

For some reason I got the thought in the back of my head that won't go away; That I should buy Battle for Rokugan, even though I have Kemet, Rising Sun, Samurai, my friend owns Blood Rage and am thinking of buying Dune. Help me goons!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

drat, that's annoying! My copy has been held-up, too. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the second print run. :( I mean, I don't have a huge urge to play it at this stage (I've already accepted that it won't be here for my Oct/Nov board game day) but it's still a bit annoying, given the original ETA was August.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, seeing copies in the wild I just figured it would drop soon. My favorite retailer notified me that it (DUNE preorder) was low stock so I added it to an order thinking it might be a week or three at most. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
And literally one minute ago, I received an email stating that my copy of Dune is on its way! :aaaaa:
Christmas has been saved - it might actually get here in time after all!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Major Isoor posted:

And literally one minute ago, I received an email stating that my copy of Dune is on its way! :aaaaa:
Christmas has been saved - it might actually get here in time after all!

I wasn't going to rub it in, but yeah me too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hopefully this isn't the wrong thread (or too heretical for the thread) but does anyone have any opinions on the Twilight Struggle computer game adaptation on Steam? I have a buddy who I used to play it with but he moved across the country, it would be nice to be able to get back into it with him.

Also holy poo poo Dune got a reprint?? gently caress, here's hoping I can score a copy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's great for that, but the ai is pretty lovely if you want to play solo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The AI is quite capable of crushing a bad player (source: me, being terrible).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Once you understand the ai it's pretty much impossible to lose to it because it completely ignores critical parts of the game and follows a narrow path of choices. They really need to hire the people that did the RftG or Patchwork AIs.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hopefully this isn't the wrong thread (or too heretical for the thread) but does anyone have any opinions on the Twilight Struggle computer game adaptation on Steam? I have a buddy who I used to play it with but he moved across the country, it would be nice to be able to get back into it with him.
It's really good, plays much faster, you can knock out a game super fast if you're on discord, or play 1-2 moves a day in lunch breaks etc. It will really make you hate digital dice though.

Edit: the AI is just a punching bag faithfully recreates board game solo modes that are just score/time attack modes

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 17, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Once you understand the ai it's pretty much impossible to lose to it because it completely ignores critical parts of the game and follows a narrow path of choices. They really need to hire the people that did the RftG or Patchwork AIs.

Yeah it's not just that its dumb but it plays in ways completely alien to a human player, so even if you're new and/or gently caress up and lose it's a very different game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

That's the least of its problems. I dunno if they ever patched it to be better but the last time I checked the AI would play unforced defcon suicide cards at defcon 2.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
That has been fixed, but the AI still has its other flaws. I think the biggest is when it gets a scoring card where it's losing, and becomes totally focused on improving its situation by spending double points to break your control of countries, only to have you patch them back up again, and it keeps repeating the action.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
A friend of mine is the manager at a new game store that is big into war hammer, but wants to expand their board game presence. They're planning Friday night board game events, where you pay $5 (that you get in store credit) and get access to a lending library, tables, other players etc. They've got a small library at, but really don't have any idea what else to get. Anyone have suggestions for games that are good to play in this kind of setting, with a variety that encompasses different player counts, game times, intensity levels? Also, any good hot games to reccomend to him beyond spirit island, wingspan that he should probably have on his shelves?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Spikes32 posted:

A friend of mine is the manager at a new game store that is big into war hammer, but wants to expand their board game presence. They're planning Friday night board game events, where you pay $5 (that you get in store credit) and get access to a lending library, tables, other players etc. They've got a small library at, but really don't have any idea what else to get. Anyone have suggestions for games that are good to play in this kind of setting, with a variety that encompasses different player counts, game times, intensity levels? Also, any good hot games to reccomend to him beyond spirit island, wingspan that he should probably have on his shelves?

Can people bring their own games? If so, you literally don't need to bother with anything more complex than Ticket to Ride, and even that might be a stretch.

The following games work really well in a casual setting:

Spot It
Kakerlaken Poker
Anomia
Dixit
Skull
Railroad Ink
Ganz Schoen Clever
Cash n Guns
Cards against Humanity (please don't do Cards against Humanity)
Coup
Mascarade

[EDIT]Thought of some more,
The Mind
Kingdomino
Jungle Speed
Monikers
Love Letter
Codenames
The Resistance

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 17, 2019

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My funny story about the TS ap is a friend didn't like how pulling up readably sized cards covered up the board, so he went and bought a physical copy to have the deck by his desk. Didn't seem to have any plans to play it ever.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

bobvonunheil posted:

Can people bring their own games? If so, you literally don't need to bother with anything more complex than Ticket to Ride, and even that might be a stretch.

The following games work really well in a casual setting:

Spot It
Kakerlaken Poker
Anomia
Dixit
Skull
Railroad Ink
Ganz Schoen Clever
Cash n Guns
Cards against Humanity (please don't do Cards against Humanity)
Coup
Mascarade

[EDIT]Thought of some more,
The Mind
Kingdomino
Jungle Speed
Monikers
Love Letter
Codenames
The Resistance

This is awesome thank you!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spikes32 posted:

This is awesome thank you!

CHINATOWN

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

bobvonunheil's list is pretty good, you don't want to be sitting down for a 3 hour slog or an hour of rules explanation for a games night. Could think about

7 Wonders
Picassimo
Azul
Sagrada
Wilderness
Welcome To..
Rhino Hero
Villagers

As for games to have in forfolk to buy

Terraforming Mars (Weirdly popular)
Black Angel
Pipline (Maybe not, bit gritty)
Villagers
Outer Rim

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Also, there are plenty of good to excellent rules explanation video's on YouTube (Watch It Played and Gaming Rules! are both top notch), might be cool to include a QR code in the game box that points to such a video if it is available, especially for heavier stuff. Then people can collectively watch a video on their phone instead of trying to learn the game from the rulebook. The alternative would be if your friend and his colleagues learn to demo each game in the library, but that's a lot more effort.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Quixotic1 posted:

For some reason I got the thought in the back of my head that won't go away; That I should buy Battle for Rokugan, even though I have Kemet, Rising Sun, Samurai, my friend owns Blood Rage and am thinking of buying Dune. Help me goons!

Here are my impressions after a single play. I sold it to a friend after.

This is as abstract an area control game as I have played. You place tokens face down either in territories or on borders to represent attacking and defense. Only one token can be placed on a border at a time with a single exception. This game actually lets you 'cheat' as you can play ineligible tokens down as a bluff; they are simply removed during the resolution step at the end of the round. Each player has 30 tokens. 29 of them are shared among the players, and each faction has a special token. Those 30 tokens are split into 7 types of varying power. You see 6 tokens at a time, and play 5 per round to play all 30. Combat is determined simply by comparing attack values and defense values. It is a pretty simple game, but I had some issues with it.

1. The tokens are drawn randomly, so you can draw a very poor hand and effectively lose a round. It feels a lot like Colt Express in that there are some actions that you should probably have access to at all times, but it is left to chance. Maybe this illustrates that we should have bluffed more, but bluffing feels like something you can only afford if you are ahead on board. However, this was also accentuated by me drawing most of my most powerful tokens on the first turn before I understood the game. Poor play with my most powerful tokens screwed me for the rest of the game because...

2. There is a large death spiral present. Because there can only be one token on a border, you have less choices with the less territories that you control. If you have less territories, and someone tries to move into your territory (or bluffs it), you actions are pinched further. There are about 6ish tokens that allow you to take territory without being adjacent, but with no control over when you get them it is hard to depend on them. I was effectively eliminated from the game turn 3, but had to play out the last two rounds. Compare that to say Kemet where there may be a death spiral, but it takes a lot to get locked out of the game because your casualties get returned as prayer points, so you can use a deploy and move action to be back in contention.

3. Hidden objectives are my least favorite game mechanic behind dice resolution combat. My goal was to control provinces in 7 different territories for 10 points. Another player was to control like 10 coastal provinces for 8 points, which is most if not all of them. The winning player? Control either 2 of the 3 provinces or just the capital of a specific territory for 7 points. Wildly imbalanced with no counter play. Garbage. I understand the role that hidden objectives are supposed to play in a game, but I have literally never been satisfied with them.

I want to give it another play, because I do like some things about it like the bluffing, the 'single use' borders, the first turn player decision mechanic, and how simple the battles are. However, I will probably dump it because I don't think the issues are worth dealing with when I have Kemet, Inis, and Scythe.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I really dislike hidden objectives, even ones like you have in Sagrada. Also pity the guy who gets the Beholder in Lords of Waterdeep.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I've read the manga and it's good and wholesome. I look forward to how the anime deals with some of the downtime, but from episode 1 it's not bad.

The author mentioned Terra Mystica in a tweet a couple years ago, so I hope the manga/anime starts covering heavier games.

Here's a chronological list of titles played (as in, the subject of a chapter, not 1-2 pics in passing) up to the end of volume 8 of the manga:

Marrakech
Kakerlakenpoker
Viva Topo
Hol's der Geier
Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
Geister
Incan Gold
Settlers of Catan
Telestrations
Fauna
6 Nimmt
King of Tokyo
Goita
Dobble
Battle Line (2000)
One Room (Midori's self-made prototype)
Love Letter
Monjirou
The Island
Keltis
PIT
Onirim
Elfenland
Daruma-san ga koronda
Pandemic
Acquire
Blokus
Ladies & Gentlemen
Barbarossa
Carcassonne
One Room v.2
Puerto Rico
Dancing Dragons
Toddles-Bobbles
Heckmeck am Bratwurmeck
Famiglia
Quarto
Ciao, Ciao
Das Magische Labyrinth

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Now cross reference it with bgg

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Here are my impressions after a single play. I sold it to a friend after.

This is as abstract an area control game as I have played. You place tokens face down either in territories or on borders to represent attacking and defense. Only one token can be placed on a border at a time with a single exception. This game actually lets you 'cheat' as you can play ineligible tokens down as a bluff; they are simply removed during the resolution step at the end of the round. Each player has 30 tokens. 29 of them are shared among the players, and each faction has a special token. Those 30 tokens are split into 7 types of varying power. You see 6 tokens at a time, and play 5 per round to play all 30. Combat is determined simply by comparing attack values and defense values. It is a pretty simple game, but I had some issues with it.

1. The tokens are drawn randomly, so you can draw a very poor hand and effectively lose a round. It feels a lot like Colt Express in that there are some actions that you should probably have access to at all times, but it is left to chance. Maybe this illustrates that we should have bluffed more, but bluffing feels like something you can only afford if you are ahead on board. However, this was also accentuated by me drawing most of my most powerful tokens on the first turn before I understood the game. Poor play with my most powerful tokens screwed me for the rest of the game because...

2. There is a large death spiral present. Because there can only be one token on a border, you have less choices with the less territories that you control. If you have less territories, and someone tries to move into your territory (or bluffs it), you actions are pinched further. There are about 6ish tokens that allow you to take territory without being adjacent, but with no control over when you get them it is hard to depend on them. I was effectively eliminated from the game turn 3, but had to play out the last two rounds. Compare that to say Kemet where there may be a death spiral, but it takes a lot to get locked out of the game because your casualties get returned as prayer points, so you can use a deploy and move action to be back in contention.

3. Hidden objectives are my least favorite game mechanic behind dice resolution combat. My goal was to control provinces in 7 different territories for 10 points. Another player was to control like 10 coastal provinces for 8 points, which is most if not all of them. The winning player? Control either 2 of the 3 provinces or just the capital of a specific territory for 7 points. Wildly imbalanced with no counter play. Garbage. I understand the role that hidden objectives are supposed to play in a game, but I have literally never been satisfied with them.

I want to give it another play, because I do like some things about it like the bluffing, the 'single use' borders, the first turn player decision mechanic, and how simple the battles are. However, I will probably dump it because I don't think the issues are worth dealing with when I have Kemet, Inis, and Scythe.

Thanks for this, cured me of the collection itch. By chance I'll be playing Kemet and Blood Rage today, so my group gets to decide which is the superior dues on a map game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pierzak posted:

Here's a chronological list of titles played (as in, the subject of a chapter, not 1-2 pics in passing) up to the end of volume 8 of the manga:

Hell yeah, PR. There's hope. What's too bad is that a lot of Clearclaw's weird euro games would fit the style of the manga, but they're probably too interactive, punishing, and confrontational. But I'd love to see something like Bridges of Shangri-La, Chex, or Neuland in there. Bridges and Fae/Clans would be appropriate for having really simple rules.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
The idea to include a qr code was a good one! On another note, my boyfriend just revealed he's down to try COIN games, which means I get to buy one now! What COIN game would be a good one to try?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

Here's the games I'd have on the shelf if I were pushing board games from a store I owned. These are all very popular and hot sellers, modern classics, etc. Prioritized for sales, but also a good library for gamenights

Azul
Terraforming Mars
Root
Codenames
Pandemics
The Mind
Scythe
Wingspan
Sagrada
Kingdomino
Santorini
Splendor
Carcassonne
Mysterium
Ticket to Rides
Clank!
Jaipur
Sushi Go Party
Barenpark
Patchwork
Railroad Ink
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Villianous
Arboretum
High Society
Welcome To
Deep Sea Adventure

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I played a game that I think is fundamentally not very good but I enjoyed it a lot anyways. Arkham Horror: Final Hour.

The elevator pitch is that it's a micro version of Arkham Horror thematically, while being kind of a jumbled mess of Gloomhaven, Clue and Space Alert mechanically. Some idiots have started summoning Cthulhu or some other big nasty eldritch abomination at Miskatonic U and you have to race to figure out how to undo the ritual.

The game is really simple and sets up fast - probably doable in five minutes. Prior to the rest of setup, you shuffle the 10 face down clue tokens (five matching pairs) and draw two of them to put on the board as the secret goal. There's fifteen locations around campus, each with a number of slots for monsters. One location will be the ritual location that needs to be protected throughout the game, three others will be gate locations where enemies spawn, and the rest will have the remainder of the clue tokens on them. The game starts with a pretty heavy array of monsters on the table already - after all, you're trying to stop something already in motion.

The gameplay is....almost nonexistent, though. Each player has a deck of ten cards unique to their character, and a hand of four priority cards with numbers from (I believe) 1 to 30 on them, in addition to clue "suits". Starting with the lead player, everyone reads the top card of their character deck and puts it face down on the table with a face-up priority card on it. Each character card has two halves, a top and a bottom. Generally the top effect is purely good, while the bottom effect will allow a player to Investigate but also activate monsters in a given zone. Once the players have collectively placed four character action cards face down with priority cards, they're arranged in ascending order and resolved. The first two action cards have their top half resolved, the second two have their bottom half resolved. And...technically, you're not supposed to discuss strategy until all of your cards for the round are down. It seems pretty obvious that there's not a ton of interactivity built into the game, but in play I didn't find that to be the case. Most cards at least gave you meaningful enough choices by incorporating Move actions, which made it necessary to weigh odds across the two different monster routes to cut off places where they would fly into the Ritual Location and lose the game.

When you Investigate a location, you flip its clue token over and add it to the display at the bottom of the board. The players' goal is to figure out the two secret tokens placed at the beginning of setup based on what they've investigated, and have an opportunity at the end of the game to "commit" three priority cards from their hand per player. When all those cards are committed, the players can flip the secret tokens - if they as a group have more than 2(p) cards correct, they win. This is where I think playing solo would fall flat - per the solo rules, you get 5 priority cards each turn, discard one of them and make up the action row with the remainder. The cards that you discard across the course of the game become your committed cards to the final test...so your first couple rounds worth of cards are going to be essentially random.

We lost (badly - we made it about halfway through before getting overwhelmed by monsters) but I had fun and overall the whole experience was like 40 minutes including teardown. It's not the kind of thing I'd really recommend offhand to anyone, but I looked into it in the first place from hearing someone complaining about it and thinking the low-interaction machine play sounded fun for a shorter filler.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

The idea to include a qr code was a good one! On another note, my boyfriend just revealed he's down to try COIN games, which means I get to buy one now! What COIN game would be a good one to try?

You can try the wargames thread for more advice if needed.

Try:
The one with the most appealing theme/setting.
Colonial Twilight, if playing 2-player.
Gandhi, with fancy new bots and nonviolent factions.
Cuba Libre, with like 9 spaces on the map.