Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It seems like I'm just asking for two different products: an alarm clock and something that keeps very precise time down to the second. But these shouldn't be two things!

The real contradiction(*) is "exact" and "no internet" because the best/cheapest/easiest way for a timekeeping device to stay accurate and not have to deal with drift seconds is by syncing with official atomic-clock time signals from NIST or similar institutions.

(*) It's not really a contradiction though, there should be plenty of clocks available that use radio time instead of internet time. This is what a lot of fancier digital watches do for example. Try searching for "radio-controlled alarm clock". Brands love to use the misleading term "atomic clock" too since hey technically it's syncing with atomic clock time over the radio.

Here's one of the first amazon results for "atomic alarm clock" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089ZMSR39, and here's another one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZTJBCVR, both with red digital displays. I can't tell you how good the alarms will be since I don't own either but since they sync with NIST radio time they should stay perfectly accurate.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I seem to remember in one of the early Pynchon novels set in the 50's or 60's some female character having a big internal monologue about how so many ladies are getting plastic surgery to have a retroussé nose. It can't be a recent trend.

That's V. The plastic surgery scene in that book is disgusting and hilarious, I love that book.

hooah posted:

This might depend on region as well, although unless anything's changed in the last couple years, this isn't true either. Organic just means you can't use the really effective pesticides on your crops, so you either have to use more of the stuff the organic labeling agency says is ok or use stuff like copper sulfate which is terrible for the environment. Methods that qualify as organic are also often less efficient, meaning you need to use more land to get the same amount of yield, which leads to more deforestation.

I think that's probably true, I guess in America it's unlikely that organic labelling is actually good for the environment either.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

two fish posted:

What exactly is freemasonry, in a practical sense? By that I don't mean in terms of beliefs, but in what they do when they meet.

Is it just a social club where you hang out with a bunch of guys? Networking? Have dinners together?

There are ceremonies and symbols to make it feel special, but yeah social club and charity. Just like all of the other groups that don’t secretly run the world, like Rotary, et al

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Does baby corn pop into baby popcorn?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Leave posted:

Does baby corn pop into baby popcorn?

Here is someone making a mistake when harvesting their baby corn and turning it into popcorn

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

I do NOT microwave anything - I don't have a microwave in my house (I believe that it is not healthy and changes the structure and nutrition of anything "warmed" using a microwave oven).
"warmed"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

"warmed"

I'm not claiming the sort of person who makes baby popcorn is sane.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

dupersaurus posted:

There are ceremonies and symbols to make it feel special, but yeah social club and charity. Just like all of the other groups that don’t secretly run the world, like Rotary, et al

I guess it's the Millennial in me talking, but what's the appeal in the current world of social media and online meetups? Like, what does it offer for the membership dues that you couldn't just get from hanging out with, say, your Warcraft guild or whatever?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

two fish posted:

I guess it's the Millennial in me talking, but what's the appeal in the current world of social media and online meetups? Like, what does it offer for the membership dues that you couldn't just get from hanging out with, say, your Warcraft guild or whatever?

No computer involved, and more importantly, they sometimes have their own bar setups and event spaces.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

I remember reading that there's a requirement that you believe in one God, but they specifically do not want to hear any more about your beliefs than that.

Don't know if that's still a thing these days.

Edit: ah, I probably got that from the Ask/Tell thread, which is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523447

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

Well, you don’t have to play Warcraft which is a pretty big incentive

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was recently on a tour of a pretty big lodge. Obviously wasn't allowed to see a lot of it but I did get the chance to ask a lot of questions and they were pretty talkative, obviously wanted some more members.

The selling point was having a big-rear end banquet once a week with all the other middle-aged/senior guys and getting to wear penguin tuxedos and top hats. They also planned golfing and ski trips and so on. Apparently a common past-time is to visit lodges in other countries.

Honestly it sounds like a good time if you want to chill with a bunch of white 50-80 year old men and don't mind some old-school sexism. So uhh... yeah. They did make a big point out of making everything wheelchair accessible, taking care of the older members and staying in contact with the family of members who had passed away. Younger generations aren't joining so it's probably quite necessary.

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember reading that there's a requirement that you believe in one God, but they specifically do not want to hear any more about your beliefs than that.

Don't know if that's still a thing these days.

Apparently there are a poo poo-ton of different orders and the specifics of who can be a member can be different - there can even be several orders in the same area who are somewhat friendly. In my country's case, the largest Freemason order only accepts people who have been baptized, although they made it clear that it's ok to not be a practicing Christian, so long as one affirms that they believe in God.

However there was a smaller order that allows just about anybody. The representative from them was super longwinded and rambling so I never got a clear answer, but I think you just gotta say that you believe in some sort of greater unifying force?

Either way, it's a funny mishmash of ideas, there was a lot of literature and iconography that was Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, some stuff that was straight up lifted from the Bhagavad Ghita.

E: to answer the original question: if you're in the target demographic, wearing funny outfits, having a weekly boy's night and going on day trips to do activities is the point of it all. Arguably a more productive way to spend your time than WoW. Their focus on caring for the elderly members was pretty rad imo. Key issue being the target demographic... I didn't ask into their politics and I don't want to

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 21, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The weird thing about the alarm clocks is that I've had sub $10 lcd alarm clocks that are radio controlled since before the millennium. The technology has got to be cheap as hell. Yet when searching Amazon for atomic clocks, the led ones mostly come with some supposedly patented intelliset, accuset or smartset technology where the time is "set in the factory" for some reason and they all have a backup battery for keeping the time. Zero mention of radio control in the description or manuals, where you'd expect basic reception troubleshooting. Yet there are plenty blue and white backlit lcd ones that are very explicit about it. Like it's there a technical reason or some patent related thing where the combo with red leds kills it? I did find some out of production ones, but yeah seemingly rare to find that combination of features.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's incredibly frustrating. I thought red was the default for digital clocks but apparently not.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

At the risk of seeming nosy, my stupid/small question is: why would one need an alarm clock that's accurate to the second?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

At the risk of seeming nosy, my stupid/small question is: why would one need an alarm clock that's accurate to the second?

i'm not sure i understand, most clocks are accurate to the second. if you set an alarm for 7:06 it's going to happen at the second it becomes 7:06, not "7:06-ish"

or are you asking why the standard smallest unit is the second rather than the minute?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
in my experience clocks that aren't accurate to the second aren't, say, offset by a single second but are either slightly too slow or too fast and that slowly compounds until every clock in the house is several minutes off each other so you have to go reset them all every two or three months.

edit: I'm leaving one to stay inaccuate to see how far it gets and after a few years its 20 minutes ahead of real time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mentioned this before, the clock stops while I'm setting the alarm on it. While I'm holding down the "time set" or "alarm set" buttons the time doesn't advance. So the more I change the alarm, the more the clock goes out of wack with the correct time. And yeah, like I said, my "exact to the second" and "day to day alarm" are probably going to have to be two clocks. I just don't want them to be and thought I'd ask a stupid question.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I can see why someone would want a clock to be really accurate but I don't have a solution for a known accurate red display non-radio/internet alarm clock. Maybe buy a few cheap ones, see which is the most accurate, then return the others?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think the general problem of perfect clock accuracy was just considered solved when radio/internet clocks came around. I dunno if you're likely to get it without that at this point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm fine with a radio clock, I just didn't want something I had to connect to my wifi. The list of things I want to connect to the wifi is actually very very short.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
You could probably find a clock that keeps ticking as you set the alarm, but I dunno what to search for that. I haven't had a clock of any type (other than my pc) since i got a cell phone.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Earwicker posted:

i'm not sure i understand, most clocks are accurate to the second. if you set an alarm for 7:06 it's going to happen at the second it becomes 7:06, not "7:06-ish"

or are you asking why the standard smallest unit is the second rather than the minute?

The issue for the OP isn't that the alarm doesn't go off when the clock thinks it's 7:06:00, it's that the clock itself thinks it is 7:06:00 when it really isn't, according to a national standard time-keeper like NIST. All clocks drift because their "ticks" aren't accurate enough, the OP's clock drifts when its alarm is set. The purpose of protocols like PTP and NTP is to correct those drifts.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I don't have a particular recommendation, but try looking for 'atomic' as a keyword - I've seen a lot of clocks use that for the radio-updated ones. Like this for example. Searching for radio just gets me AM/FM ones.

Also about Freemasons and similar, I think it's a lot of networking too. A guy I know is the stereotypical "knows everyone/has a guy for that" guy and he's into those social clubs.

edit: just as a fun aside - the first true atomic clock wristwatch.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 21, 2024

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

two fish posted:

Lmao don't drag the rest of us down with you, I'm a millennial and I'm perfectly capable of understanding why one might want to socialize in person versus online through a video game.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Trapick posted:

edit: just as a fun aside - the first true atomic clock wristwatch.

dudes rock

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Human Tornada posted:

Lmao don't drag the rest of us down with you, I'm a millennial and I'm perfectly capable of understanding why one might want to socialize in person versus online through a video game.

Ah, sorry, I should have clarified. I don't mean meeting up with online friends online, I meant doing in-person meetups. Believe me, I'm not so much of a recluse that I think online meetups are superior to in-person ones.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

two fish posted:

Ah, sorry, I should have clarified. I don't mean meeting up with online friends online, I meant doing in-person meetups. Believe me, I'm not so much of a recluse that I think online meetups are superior to in-person ones.

Well in that case it offers you the same that your Warcraft guild offers you, but without needing the Warcraft.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Earwicker posted:

I guess I'm just not that hung up on if my alarm goes off at 7:06:00 or 7:06:05, is what I'm saying. A few seconds drift isn't going to change if I'm late to work or not, there's so many other variables at play (how much my car needs to heat up, did I get stuck behind a school bus, did one of my cats leave a surprise in my work boots and I have to change my socks now yes I'm looking at you Eartha Kitten you know what you did the other day)

Just curious, no shade!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I guess I'm just not that hung up on if my alarm goes off at 7:06:00 or 7:06:05, is what I'm saying. A few seconds drift isn't going to change if I'm late to work or not, there's so many other variables at play (how much my car needs to heat up, did I get stuck behind a school bus, did one of my cats leave a surprise in my work boots and I have to change my socks now yes I'm looking at you Eartha Kitten you know what you did the other day)

Just curious, no shade!

His clock STOPS when he sets his alarm. So on day 1 it's 7:06:05. But then if it's 5s each day by day 10 it's 7:07:00

In a month he'll be waking up at 7:09:00.

Seems like a problem to me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't change my alarm that much, but I do need to wake up at a certain time every day of the week. It stays the same for the five days of the work week but I set it at different times on my weekend. And again, the clock doesn't tick forward while holding the "alarm set" button. So about three times a week, the clock goes out of wack more and more and more. Even if I really try to synch it up, after a month it will be a minute off at least.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

one of the problems with "clock drift" is that cheaper clocks sync to the current, e.g. 50Hz in Europe.
But... in order to keep the power networks stable, the producers cheat a bit with the frequencies. So sometimes it might be like 48Hz for some days.

I remember this happening like 3-4 years ago when there was some problem with Kosovo which lead then to a significant drift over like 1-2 months.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I don't change my alarm that much, but I do need to wake up at a certain time every day of the week. It stays the same for the five days of the work week but I set it at different times on my weekend. And again, the clock doesn't tick forward while holding the "alarm set" button. So about three times a week, the clock goes out of wack more and more and more. Even if I really try to synch it up, after a month it will be a minute off at least.

Just get a clock that allows for multiple alarms? You can have one set for the week and one for the weekend with no worries about resetting alarms constantly.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Maybe set the alarm time first, and then get all hyper accurate with the clock time?

Mine claims to synchronize with... something, but it's always about 5 minutes off from my phone/computers that sync with NTP.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

We all agree, I should get a new clock and/or change my terrible clock habits.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

one of the problems with "clock drift" is that cheaper clocks sync to the current, e.g. 50Hz in Europe.
But... in order to keep the power networks stable, the producers cheat a bit with the frequencies. So sometimes it might be like 48Hz for some days.

I remember this happening like 3-4 years ago when there was some problem with Kosovo which lead then to a significant drift over like 1-2 months.

My understanding is that this was only an issue in the USA for a fairly brief period, before quartz clocks became super cheap. Maybe it's still a thing in other parts of the world, but you really need to be scraping pennies (or have limited access to global trade) for it to make sense, these days.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I would love the 1/100th of a second accurate Mitxela gps based clock for myself, but it's a kit and I'm just as likely to never assemble it. Also sadly no interface whatsoever, so no alarms.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I use a rice cooker and do the “first joint first finger” method of making sure I put the right amount of water in. I have to switch to brown rice; is there a different technique for how much water I’ll need?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just don't care if a clock is on your wifi imo, you use a cell phone so it really doesn't matter. But it seems like there are a bunch of options like radio that have been suggested so hopefully they'll be able to find a solution for their clock needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I use a rice cooker and do the “first joint first finger” method of making sure I put the right amount of water in. I have to switch to brown rice; is there a different technique for how much water I’ll need?

Ask here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049129&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1