Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

I'm stuck on the final boss of RotT'13. The bosses in that game loving suck. It's a strange one, it's got some decent enough parts and the shooting felt pretty fine, but then you get a jumping puzzle or a boss and it just becomes loving poo poo. As said, it was the one that really kicked off the retro-shooter trend, so it's kinda hard to hate it for that.

Yeah, also it's a shame the Apogee brand got binned again :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

I'm stuck on the final boss of RotT'13. The bosses in that game loving suck. It's a strange one, it's got some decent enough parts and the shooting felt pretty fine, but then you get a jumping puzzle or a boss and it just becomes loving poo poo. As said, it was the one that really kicked off the retro-shooter trend, so it's kinda hard to hate it for that.

Yeah I played the game on Hard and found that the final boss was fundamentally broken. You did far too little damage to it (it essentially felt like "chip" damage), the arena was too sparsely stocked/slowly respawned with weapons and health, and the boss' attacks were extremely difficult to avoid and were capable of vaporizing you in no time flat. To "legitimately" fight it would probably involve an incredibly tedious and long game of cat-and-mouse...but I gave up after 15 or 20 attempts and killed it after it got stuck on a piece of terrain.

Even after getting stuck, it still took so long to kill it that I started getting bored.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
ROTT13's problem was that it was a faithful sequel to ROTT.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is ROTT13 still unstable as all hell? I only remember that any time I started actually having fun that the game would frequently crash.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

HolyKrap posted:

I'm disappointed every time I click on a twitter video. What's with their 2001 era video compression?

Its due to their poor use of dpi to get your video steaming resolution (for mobile), set your browser to 150% zoom for a clearer video.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deakul posted:

Is ROTT13 still unstable as all hell? I only remember that any time I started actually having fun that the game would frequently crash.

Honestly the last time I played it was a few holidays ago but I don’t recall any obnoxious instability or CTD issues with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1422538728317210628?s=20

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4gV0_XKEY

new civvie just dropped, on Alice.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Heavy Metal FAKK 2 when Civvie?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Civie is gonna do Dead Space, eventually?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lemon King posted:

Its due to their poor use of dpi to get your video steaming resolution (for mobile), set your browser to 150% zoom for a clearer video.
This does seem to make at least somewhat of a difference.

top image is the video loaded at 100% zoom, bottom image is the video loaded at 150%, at close to the same time.
It's still bad but it's definitely better. The text is a lot more legible, for sure.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ROTT13 crawled and stumbled so the new retro FPSes could run.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCyvgcyj6Ak

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Samopsa posted:

new civvie just dropped, on Alice.

How the hell did he go through all of that, and not actually mention the extraordinary music? It's one of the things the game is hailed/remembered for, I think it was a NiN band member doing a bunch of it too? Example of hatter's clockwork theme.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was Chris Vrenna and it’s very good ambient dread music

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

wafflemoose posted:

ROTT13 crawled and stumbled so the new retro FPSes could run.

It crawled, stumbled, stepped on a rake, fell face first into dog poo poo and then burst into flames like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer can't make breakfast without something going wrong.

:laffo:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Serephina posted:

How the hell did he go through all of that, and not actually mention the extraordinary music? It's one of the things the game is hailed/remembered for, I think it was a NiN band member doing a bunch of it too? Example of hatter's clockwork theme.

He's talked before about how he doesn't usually bring up music cause he doesn't really know enough about it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I always wanted to play American McGee's Alice, and I'm a little confused why it hasn't popped up on GOG yet. Also, drat it, I want Heavy Metal FAKK2 to show up on GOG too.

Edit: Still need to watch Heavy Metal 2000 tho.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I always wanted to play American McGee's Alice, and I'm a little confused why it hasn't popped up on GOG yet. Also, drat it, I want Heavy Metal FAKK2 to show up on GOG too.

Edit: Still need to watch Heavy Metal 2000 tho.

Going to guess rights/licensing issues

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure he actually did touch on the music, if only briefly. And either way he plays samples of the soundtrack throughout the review, with a pop-up showing the name and composer, so it's not like it was totally absent from being highlighted.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Going to guess rights/licensing issues
Last I heard, EA owns the whole shebang, which is why McGee basically has to go to them dumb-pirate-tophat-in-hand whenever he wants to do anything with the property.

It is kind of odd that they haven't thrown it on GOG or Steam or made it buyable on Origin again, though, maybe Seemingly Every Youtuber Doing A Video On It At The Same Thing Out Of Some Bizarre Cosmic Coincidence will grease the wheels a bit.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Strideh88/status/1396650595847602177

I was going to also post a gif of Salacious B Crumb laughing his rear end off but I can't find one of good enough quality so just use your imagination.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doom 3 sucks. It isn't good. It is a bad game and what's worse is that it isn't even technically impressive, it's graphical features got beaten to the punch by an XBOX game. It's slow. The guns feel poo poo. The dumb in-game UIs are rarely used in an interesting way and are mostly novelty. Instead of creative world design there's monster closets and safes opened by PDA pickups. It is absolutely too loving dark. If it's truer to the original game it's by learning all of the worst lessons imaginable from it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I don't know if it's Tim Willits' fault but it's Tim Willits' fault.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Just play Quake 4 instead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't know if it's Tim Willits' fault but it's Tim Willits' fault.
tim: the randy of id?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SCheeseman posted:

Doom 3 sucks. It isn't good.
Been saying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The FAKK2/Heavy Metal discussion just reminds me that Julie Strain died earlier this year.

:smith:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

90s Cringe Rock posted:

tim: the randy of id?

Hi, 90's Cringe Rock, hope you're doing well. This is accurate.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The FAKK2/Heavy Metal discussion just reminds me that Julie Strain died earlier this year.

Awww man. :( Rest in peace.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Doom 3 had a great ambience throughout and I will always respect it for that. :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s been other stories about Willits mistreating American at I’d. Guy sounds like a complete scumbag.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s been other stories about Willits mistreating American at I’d. Guy sounds like a complete scumbag.

and he can't map for poo poo!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think Alice got a lot of poo poo from reviewers at the time for being pretentious. I personally like it a lot. There’s something about excellent use of the blocky graphics computers were capable of at the time that I really love. I grabbed a copy off eBay when I saw that Civvie had a video out because I was sure there might be a bum rush on them after people watched it, making prices even worse. I’ve been meaning to get one since I pirated the game back in high school.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Doom 3 super shotgun is an affront to god and man and has no place in a society.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ow poo poo RIP :( I've named a lot of female warrior characters in videogames after her.

Edit: And yes, Willits is an awful human being just like Randy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just the constant hazing Willits gave American McGee while they were both at id on it's own is enough to make Tim "i invented deathmatching" Willits a complete scumbag

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah just the constant hazing Willits gave American McGee while they were both at id on it's own is enough to make Tim "i invented deathmatching" Willits a complete scumbag

"Hi Tim, hope you're well..."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jesus, dementia at just 59, that's rough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Similar thing happened to my best friend's dad at a similar age. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

"When she was in her 20s, Strain suffered a horseback riding injury that caused retrograde amnesia; essentially all memories of her childhood disappeared. The injury is also thought to be the cause of the dementia that took hold of her in recent years, and left her confined to hospice care since at least 2018."

Jeez, that's sad. :sadwave:

I still have my copy of Heavy Metal FAKK 2 around. The game wasn't amazing but I liked it enough.

Edit to not doublepost:
https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1422530506575519767?s=19

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 4, 2021