Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

RickDaedalus posted:

Can't you buy a PS Vita TV and play Vita games that way instead? It costs like $40 ($90 if you don't have a dualshock controller) and can play vita games.

Some Vita games, yeah. Others are restricted, seemingly at random. There was a hack earlier this year that let you play all of them, but Sony patched it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ImpAtom posted:

People seem to be assuming it is not for reasons I can't really understand.

It just looks cheaply made in pretty much every way.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RickDaedalus posted:

Can't you buy a PS Vita TV and play Vita games that way instead? It costs like $40 ($90 if you don't have a dualshock controller) and can play vita games.

don't. it sucks rear end

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Davincie posted:

don't. it sucks rear end

does a vita suck rear end

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

corn in the bible posted:

does a vita suck rear end

they're ok.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Deakul posted:

It... doesn't? It looks really nice? I need you to explain to me what looks cheap about it like I'm 9.

The only thing I noticed from previews and stuff is the "a dude is noticing you" UI arrow is the same as Far Cry 4.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Mung Dynasty posted:

As a soon-to-be-former Vita owner, there are less and less reasons to own one today. About 90% of the stuff in its library are either already on Steam or coming to Steam. Great hardware, but less and less reason to have it.

whensssssss Atelier

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of the art direction for primal but it doesn't look cheaply made or anything

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

whensssssss Atelier

yeah i wanna play atelier and persona 2 and dungeon crawlers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, the only Vita games left that I really want that haven't been confirmed for PC yet are Atelier and whatever Falcom games are available on it, and the later Disgaeas

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Davincie posted:

don't. it sucks rear end
It's not THAT bad. I bought one because I had $50 in Best Buy credit sitting around, and it's a perfectly serviceable way to play Persona 4 Gold & the Tactics Ogre/FFTactics remakes on a big TV, and anything beyond that is just a nice bonus.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

yeah i wanna play dungeon crawlers

i have a 3ds but never use it

:psyduck:

Are you aware that the direct successor of Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, has not one but three great games on this system that you never use? Plus a spinoff based on Persona.

(also an Atelier game, but it's Japan-only)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

whensssssss Atelier

It is so loving boggling to me that we might get loving Criminal Girls before Atelier. Didn't they see how well Recettear did?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Snuffman posted:

69 bucks in Canada. :haw:

:canada:

£50 is over 100 Canadian dollars, we can only wish we only paid Canadian prices.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

:psyduck:

Are you aware that the direct successor of Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, has not one but three great games on this system that you never use? Plus a spinoff based on Persona.

(also an Atelier game, but it's Japan-only)

i know but the 3ds feels super cheap and the screens are bad

also etrian odyssey is nowhere, nowhere near as good as wizardry. people who think that are silly

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
If you want a Vita you have to be willing to accept the following:

-It's an indie game machine thanks to PS+
-It has the best version of Persona 4
-You have to buy a separate mem. stick (they're getting cheaper now though)
-Depending on what FW your Vita comes with you will be able to get homebrew emus working through the PSP emulator.
-It's a great remote play machine.
-Sony has stopped releasing games for it. 99% of new releases are JRPGs, both of the pedo anime and regular dumb variety.

edit:

-You can import physical copies from any region but your Vita will be regionlocked based on your PSN account so you won't be able to buy DLC from different regions.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 7, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

£50 is over 100 Canadian dollars, we can only wish we only paid Canadian prices.

Oddly we lucked out with the switch to CAD on Steam. It happened juuuust as our dollar started tanking. At first, you could scoop up games for cheaper than they were before, only because the publishers hadn't caught on yet.

Now they have and we're seeing the price adjustments.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dodoman posted:

If you want a Vita you have to be willing to accept the following:

-It has the best version of Persona 4

If you need a reason beyond this I then I don't know.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

Except it doesn't.

Not to be the rear end in a top hat here, but people like the Far Cry model. This thread got bored with it after 3, sure, but the internet still hasn't. 4 outsold 3, and Primal will likely outsell 4. Hell, people are still down with the Assassins Creed model, Syndicate sold poorly in it's first week, but went on to pass Unity already, and will likely even out at a decent score. It took NINE of those loving games, with one being not great, and another being godawful to even make the series start to falter in sales. And it may still pick back up again after Syndicate!

They've said Far Cry Primal is a full length Far Cry game. The map is so far larger then the map of either 3 or 4. In terms of scope and size, it's a $60 game, compared to Blood Dragons 11 outposts total/4-5 hour long to 100% model. They've called it Far Cry 5 multiple times during press reveals, alongside Primal. It's just a title being used because it's not modern day.

Like, say what you will about that series, how it's approaching burnout, or how you don't like the model, but Primal is a huge loving change for a big name yearly franchise style dev company. It completely dropped guns and vehicles, two mainstays of the franchise. It's melee weapons are completely disposable/breakable, which is a massive change for the franchise, but fits with the model quite well. It's got recruitable loving UAV owls that instantly stealth kill guys, bear tanks you can call in, and all sorts of other animal resistance style dudes you can mess around with.

You may not LIKE any of that, or think it doesn't look cool, but it's a big game that's quite a bit different then it's predecessors.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

deadly_pudding posted:

It... doesn't? It looks really nice? I need you to explain to me what looks cheap about it like I'm 9.

The only thing I noticed from previews and stuff is the "a dude is noticing you" UI arrow is the same as Far Cry 4.

The entire UI is the same as FC4's, the combat is nothing but canned animations for melee, a few throwable weapons, and a bow, climbing functions identically to FC3/4 with vines or roots to indicate where you can climb and all, it also looks graphically unimpressive... I think even FC4 looked better, loads of reused animal models that are nothing but scaled up versions of animals that were in past games... which doesn't make much sense given the time period, and crafting is functionally the same as past games.

But, I probably had my expectations set too high for the game... I was actually hoping they'd improve on everything, I didn't expect guns of course but I did expect most of the mechanics to be fleshed out and for it to not feel like Far Cry 4 TC.

A better combat system and more maneuverability would've been really cool.

Mind you, I did enjoy what I've played of FC4 so I wouldn't really say I'm sick of the formula I just don't think it quite fits in with what they're doing with Primal.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 7, 2015

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Vita has been my preferred platform for the 4 years I've had it, although I suspect I don't care as much about graphics, sound, performance or price as most other gamers.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just want a Blood Dragon 2, preferably one that takes place in not Escape from New York.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Deakul posted:

The entire UI is the same as FC4's, the combat is nothing but canned animations for melee, a few throwable weapons, and a bow, climbing functions identically to FC3/4 with vines or roots to indicate where you can climb and all, it also looks graphically unimpressive... I think even FC4 looked better, loads of reused animal models that are nothing but scaled up versions of animals that were in past games... which doesn't make much sense given the time period, and crafting is functionally the same as past games.

But, I probably had my expectations set too high for the game... I was actually hoping they'd improve on everything, I didn't expect guns of course but I did expect most of the mechanics to be fleshed out and for it to not feel like Far Cry 4 TC.

A better combat system and more maneuverability would've been really cool.

Mind you, I did enjoy what I've played of FC4 so I wouldn't really say I'm sick of the formula I just don't think it quite fits in with what they're doing with Primal.

Could you link the videos of primal that arent trailers? It seems from my reading you have played the new version but...

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Underwhelmed posted:

If you need a reason beyond this I then I don't know.

if you think p4g is better than p4 you're a delusional fanboy who wants to see your persona fanfics become reality.

on a steam-related note, I tried the home streaming thing for the first time and it worked shockingly well. couldn't tell the difference in binding of isaac rebirth and even dark souls 2 was totally playable, and that was over wifi. probably would be even smoother over ethernet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dreezy posted:

if you think p4g is better than p4 you're a delusional fanboy who wants to see your persona fanfics become reality.

... What? Like even if you don't like the new content it is entirely optional while having a lot of basic UI and quality of life improvements. :psyduck: Marie is dumb but you can literally entirely ignore her.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kibayasu posted:

Also, Dirt Rally has got the big Steam banner since its out of Early Access today and does anybody know how well it has fared? I stopped paying attention to it a few months into its update cycle but if the blurb on the store page is accurate its got a fair bit of racing and cars in it now. Has anybody been playing it?

It's fuckin' ace. Buy it and join us.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729418

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

wjs5 posted:

Could you link the videos of primal that arent trailers? It seems from my reading you have played the new version but...

Played the new version of what? Primal? Of course not but I've watched a few of the gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxUXI6-53qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECVv9QEOi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMIEvj8wuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVz-6twTPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFNNmHCiCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHmF8SjZuic

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Didn't Primal have a ridiculously short dev cycle, like less than a year?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'll pay 60 bucks for a game with a "Pet" button.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Okay, if I'm reading the store page for Pool Nation FX right, you can play basic online matches, offline practice, and daily challenges for free. Then you can spend $4 to access all the online multiplayer modes and/or $8 to access the offline career modes. Seems pretty reasonable.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

dreezy posted:

I haven't even played the original non-vita version past an hour or so, but by all means project away.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sleeveless posted:

Didn't Primal have a ridiculously short dev cycle, like less than a year?

Far Cry 4 was fall 2014, so somewhere in there. But it's hard to know, maybe FC4 was going really well and the montreal studio had their stuff complete ahead of schedule, so work started on this one before 4 was even out. It's really hard to figure out how all the moving pieces work in Ubisoft's crazy multi-studio development pipeline. They've got a system, it works somehow. Most of the time.

OTOH no matter what the unknowable dev cycle was, the announce & marketing cycle is definitely super short. Announcing in October to ship in February? That is not normal for a full size game. Also the apparently intentional off-peak release date.

Even games media people were asking whether it was a new Blood Dragon, so Rookersh putting it down to the thread being anti-fans is dumb as gently caress.

Accordion Man posted:

I just want a Blood Dragon 2, preferably one that takes place in not Escape from New York.

The parody stuff just wears out too fast. If they did another one they'd have to change it up, go more for intentional homage to bad action movies than piss-take on them.

I just saw that back in January ubisoft did a survey about what far cry fans were interested in, and one of the options was vampires. I think a Far Cry Dracula game could be pretty loving awesome.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

In other news, I bought Squarecells and while I wouldn't say it's as good as Hexcells Plus it still scratches that same logic puzzle itch.

Just be aware that the last set of puzzles have you dealing with the added difficulty of magenta on white which really hurts to look at after a while.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deakul posted:

Meh. The up-scaled models make sense imo. It's not that the animals are bigger — it's that you are a 150cm tall, poorly fed caveman rather than a 190cm adrenaline-junkie dudebro.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Klyith posted:

I just saw that back in January ubisoft did a survey about what far cry fans were interested in, and one of the options was vampires. I think a Far Cry Dracula game could be pretty loving awesome.

Sorta/not-sorta along the same lines, AC: Syndicate is getting a Jack The Ripper campaign DLC and I really hope they go full on gothic horror with it.

poo poo, they should go whole hog and add a black and white filter and make your assassination targets Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Klyith posted:

I think a Far Cry Dracula game could be pretty loving awesome.
Why would it be awesome? I just don't really get what part of Far Cry makes it interesting for that setting. Primal is already a stretch and honestly the melee combat in those videos looks weak as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Would you say it's a far cry from the original?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SynthOrange posted:

Would you say it's a far cry from the original?

They all are. Including the second half of the first one.

Palpek posted:

Why would it be awesome? I just don't really get what part of Far Cry makes it interesting for that setting. Primal is already a stretch and honestly the melee combat in those videos looks weak as hell.

I could imagine the idea of the stealth traversal and takedown being applied to the basic Dracula theme, but it's such a thin gimmick to hang an entire game on. For all their foibles, the main saving grace of the games (even FC2, where it was still in its horribly unformed — or even malformed — infancy) is that they let you approach most free-roaming gameplay, and even most missions, in any way you like — from ramming IED-laden jeeps down the collective throat of an entire outpost to bombarment from afar to silently knifing everyone around. Cutting down all of that to something that's suitable for a gothic horror game seems… ill-advised.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh man. Optimus Primal. Beast Waaaaarrrrsss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Snuffman posted:

69 bucks in Canada. :haw:

Where are you getting $69? I see $79.99.

I thought for a minute our lovely dollar was finally paying off.

• Locked thread