Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

the game that really answered that was resonance of fate

The game that really answered that question was Deus Ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh man this Miles Morales origin story (wipes away tear)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

haveblue posted:

No it doesn't, Snake just does bad impressions.

Which is why those accents are mysteriously gone in MGS4 got it. Whatever floats yall's boats I guess.

On another note, I am going through Horizon Zero Dawn and it's so daunting. There is just so much that I feel like the game is telling me to do. I remember goons saying that I should beeline to Meridian before doing anything else. Anything else? What are some great must have skills?

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 29, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
was the resonance of fate ps4 release actually worth checking out?

I'm kind of in the mood for something turn based and so anime it hurts

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WaltherFeng posted:

What little gameplay there is in MGS4 is very good and MGSV is great since you can just replay any mission you want. I usually end up replaying one of the two when Im in mood for MGS.

MGSV has the least personality of any 80 million dollar single player game in recent memory, at least in this console generation. Less personality than Watch_Dogs :eyepop:. It's interface and performance are cut and polished to a diamond sheen (diamonds being a timeless, quintessential social status cliché) and are ogled to and fro like a wedding rock upon many a gamer's swollen, cheeto-dusted finger. Appropriately enough it was delivered to the world under slave labor conditions. It's the poster child for Keeping Up With The Joneses videogame development, something made in a joyless vacuum, deprived of soul or human idiosyncrasy, deprived even of artistic provocation, cranked out as from a machine to upmarket standards. It's Military Entertainment Complex: The Game. It's what the people demand!

BECOME WHO YOU WERE MEANT TO BE.

150 hours of convoy missions, then onward to Fox Engine Pachinko

WaltherFeng posted:

MGS3 is excellent but the controls could use an upgrade at this point.

Cursed post. Cursed thread. :gas:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MGS V is great. I disappointed myself hyping it up more because of the marketing which made the game seem like it was going to be a lot darker than it actually was, but the gameplay was great.

I am usually one of the first to defend it's open-world gameplay. There are some missions in the game that heavily depend on the open world and a good way to see this is to actually look at some of the extra mission tasks when you replay levels. There are usually things going on that you wouldnt know about the first time through.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After getting a PS4 I decided to try Parappa 2. It's not as good as Parappa 1 or Um Jammer Lammy but not a bad game. So many weird changes made to that game. I also decided to get the Parappa PS4 port. That is terrible compared to the original. The animation doesn't even sync up half the time the characters speak at the end of the level. I can't believe they were so lazy with that port.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I basically always have mgsv installed because it just never gets old for me. So many fun ways to tackle challenges. I just wish it had side content on the level of peace walker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imagine if mgsv had the monster hunter tie in that peace walker had

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I didn’t get very far into MGSV but it was my favorite MGS to play by a large margin. I wish they would’ve just made it fully open world instead of what we got.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really need someone else to talk about the end of Spider-Man Turf Wars with who can commiserate with how sad I am that they hosed up Yuri (seriously don’t read that if you’re still going through the game/DLC unless you really don’t care)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*me when I wake up to two pages of MGS chat*

What a thrilllllll

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What a thrilllllll

It's like watching the same MGS cutscene play out again and again!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I tried replaying 4 a few years back and when it got to the 30 minute cutscene i gave up because I remembered that there was a better game to play
That's right, MGSV

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"The" 30 minute cutscene.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
ps+ gave me mgsv for free and i still refuse to play it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In my never-ending quest to platinum every Western-released Yakuza game, I finally popped Zero back in and started my Legend difficulty run of it. The AI playing for keeps and dealing more damage on top of having no continues sure makes fights like Kuze a lot more tense!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
One of these days I am going to play the MGS games. I played MGS1 two years ago and got to just after the Tank Boss before I put it down.

I think I have booted up Ground Zeroes for about 15 minutes but I was so confused and overwhelmed that I was not really sure what I was doing.

I do own the MGSV definitive edition on disc so one day I will give it another try!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VideoGames posted:

One of these days I am going to play the MGS games. I played MGS1 two years ago and got to just after the Tank Boss before I put it down.

I think I have booted up Ground Zeroes for about 15 minutes but I was so confused and overwhelmed that I was not really sure what I was doing.

I do own the MGSV definitive edition on disc so one day I will give it another try!

Ground Zeroes is great if you’re a seasoned player but it’s kind of a front-loaded wall of difficulty. Phantom Pain is better about tutorializing you with low stakes at first.

Did you get the legacy collection? It’s the cheapest way to get 90% of the series on PS3, like it has everything except MGSV

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Ground Zeroes is great if you’re a seasoned player but it’s kind of a front-loaded wall of difficulty. Phantom Pain is better about tutorializing you with low stakes at first.

Did you get the legacy collection? It’s the cheapest way to get 90% of the series on PS3, like it has everything except MGSV

So should I play Phantom Pain first and then Ground Zeroes? If it is more manageable that way then I have no problem doing so! I just assumed Ground Zeroes was a bit of a prologue and I would not understand as much if I did not play it.

As for the others, I am not sure. I might have them somewhere, but I cannot really concentrate on any other game right now other than "The Magnificent Odyssey of Kiryu Kazama and his Stylish Counterpart Goro Majima" :D

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can play phantom pain first, then do ground zeroes once you have your feet under you. gz feels like it was ripped out of pp anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Ground Zeroes is chronologically before Phantom Pain but being more of a glorified demo gameplay wise it kinda drops you straight in it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wait what?!!!
Do not play Phantom Pain before Ground Zeroes

Ground Zeroes is literally a prequel

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yes, it takes place before phantom pain but it makes just as much sense if you play gz in the middle. there is such a thing as a flashback. you don't always start at the beginning

there is very little story in mgsv in the first place and I would absolutely prioritize what makes you more comfortable to play

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What a thrilllllll

exquisite tea posted:

It's like watching the same MGS cutscene play out again and again!

I try. :suicide:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ground Zeroes comes first storywise and Phantom Pain picks up immediately after it.

If story matters to you at all, I'd go in that order, just know that yes the rest of us know it's unfair how overwhelming Ground Zeroes feels throwing you at a maximum security black ops site as your first mission.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, Yakuza 0 progress report! Did you finish Chapter 4?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Making the sixth MGS game your first MGS game is haram.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Oh poo poo, Yakuza 0 progress report! Did you finish Chapter 4?

I am still in chapter 3. I do not live with Lady VG so have been playing very cautiously just wandering around exploring and beating people up :D I have the bat style now and saved just before seeing a crying girl. I will be playing more at Lady VGs tonight so it is possible I will get to chapter 4!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Making the sixth MGS game your first MGS game is haram.

That is just how I do things :c00l:

I also fixed your avatar. :doublecool:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I still have a smile on my face from playing astro bot last night, i heard someone on a podcast, maybe the giant bombcast saying it felt like as big a leap as playing doom or Mario 64 for the first time and i have to agree. Just wide eyed open mothed wonder the whole time. Great stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m feeling a strong pull towards Kiwami 1 but I have too many big games right now :cry:

I miss my boys

e: I need to buy astro bot too I guess

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I dont want to overhype or build it up too much but its absolutely the most wonderful videogame I've played since the 80s

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I like MSGV, have usefull and great companions and freedom about how you do the missions. My routine is to stalk a enemy base studying where to enter and what to do. But if i want I can order a pink tank and enter the base hung-ho. MGSV is easilly in my top 5 games ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The MGSV hype was half the game for me. The Phantom Pain by Joachim Mogren.

Also I really enjoyed MGSV despite its failings. Going loud doesn't feel as good in nearly any other action game and you have so many optional gadgets and associates that the gameplay feels fresh and exciting. It's a shame it didn't use a MGS3 or 4 critical path with branches or interesting set piece open spaces between well designed stealth segments (like those found in main missions). Would have been one of the greatest.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
mgsv is true art by a master of his craft that it evokes a feeling of phantom pain from the player.

and what is art if not to make us feel. to feel alive again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CrRoMa posted:

I dont want to overhype or build it up too much but its absolutely the most wonderful videogame I've played since the 80s

You know me, I lust for the hype so don’t worry. I mentioned it before but for some dumb reason I haven’t been pulled towards the game at all. I don’t know why. It looks so adorable and charming. I did grab the demo earlier, sucks I just missed the sale. Might have to boot it up later. PSVR content has been extremely good this year.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Hmm its hard not to hype the game since its the first thing i Ever saw in VR but its totally sold me on the concept. I've got wipeout and resident evil to try tonight but gonna get Tetris and rez at weekend.

I am excited about videogames

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m feeling a strong pull towards Kiwami 1 but I have too many big games right now :cry:

I miss my boys

e: I need to buy astro bot too I guess

Well, I can certainly say that Kiwami 1 has probably one of the shortest stories of all the Yakuza games, which I felt was a good thing. Yakuza 4 and 5 could sometimes feel like bloated messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

blackguy32 posted:

Well, I can certainly say that Kiwami 1 has probably one of the shortest stories of all the Yakuza games, which I felt was a good thing. Yakuza 4 and 5 could sometimes feel like bloated messes.

I loved 4, but just couldn't find the interest to see 5 through. Saejima's storyline just seemed slow and boring, and Sawamura was interesting, but the mini-games got stale pretty quick.