Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Codeacious posted:

Anyone got a pointer to the new FCM milestones? Found some stuff on Reddit, but I'm not sure if they've gone through revisions since.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4518355/food-chain-magnate-ketchup-mechanism-other-ideas

I printed and laminated this page. We've been playing with the -2 distance modifier from marketing not allowing the effective distance to go under zero, but that may not be the case when the expansion releases. The first drinks sold are top tier, and first pizza sold is great when people aren't expecting it.

Edit: I was phone posting at work and linked the wrong ones. Bottom Line has the right set.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don’t print those, those are the old beta ones from last years Essen that got major changes.

These are the final ones from the HC stream. Campaign manager should say billboard or mailbox but otherwise I think they’re final.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 25, 2019

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jedit posted:

I'm really looking forward to Living Planet. I saw the deluxe edition today, it's like the loving Monolith - solid black apart from the title, totally immovable and probably capable of sparking a new stage of human evolution.

I ordered the base kit and I’m left wondering if I’m missing out or not. What makes it look interesting as a cube pusher is that the resources drain out of the game over time and you can force other players to go bust on their resources if you manipulate the market.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Going to start a Descent 2e campaign this weekend with the guys in my RPG group, as something we can do periodically as a break from RPG or when people that are required for the story to progress can't make it.

I've got the base game and the conversion pack that brought forward all the heroes and monsters from 1e. What are the best expansion packs? I don't really care about the ones that are like fifteen quid for a lieutenant mini and some rules for skirmish mode, since we're playing the adventure campaign, but if the guys enjoy the base campaign I'll be looking for another one.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

SlyFrog posted:

But then I always wonder if I'm playing the same game as other people, because the rules are an unholy mess, the game is fiddly as gently caress,

This is essentially what I and everyone I've ever played it with felt about Archipelago. Definitely one of those games I diverge from this thread on. It's an unstructured mess that has no cohesion between it's depth and game length.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 24, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Boelinger makes finely crafted but wooly euros. They were for a while the closest thing to the theoretical eurogame/ameritrash hybrid that existed until childress made Gloomhaven.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Battle Line Medieval is finalllly shipping like 10 months after they had enough for the p500. GMT's business model is something else :v:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's pretty much the same as a Kickstarter turnaround so I don't really see the problem.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

admanb posted:

That's pretty much the same as a Kickstarter turnaround so I don't really see the problem.

:thejoke: !!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Eyes Have It posted:

Lifeform on the other hand is an unholy mess of rules. 40 pages of mess, and a dev who's prickly about it, to boot.

Feels to me sometimes like every good rulebook is the same but every bad one is terrible in its own unique way.

the game itself isn't even terribly complicated once you have some experience but the rule book is a loving catastrophe

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Going to start a Descent 2e campaign this weekend with the guys in my RPG group, as something we can do periodically as a break from RPG or when people that are required for the story to progress can't make it.

Generally speaking, the later the expansion, the better the balance. Some missions in the base campaign could be completed in a single turn if the players got lucky or the overlord got unlucky. I remember Shadow of Nerekhail being pretty good.

If you have 4 players or less and a laptop or monitor nearby, I'd recommend using the Steam app to run your overlord for you. It's fairly early to learn how to manage the app and the campaign's got a couple of interesting little quirks they couldn't do in the base board game. It also helps ward off the feeling of one side having lost while the other won, which can suck if you get into a failure spiral.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well my games may be toast, wish me luck.

The picture from my back yard

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Stay safe, and nationalize PGE.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Bottom Liner posted:

Don’t print those, those are the old beta ones from last years Essen that got major changes.

up load picture

These are the final ones from the HC stream. Campaign manager should say billboard or mailbox but otherwise I think they’re final.

Thanks for this! I'll see if I can get that small edit squirreled in there somehow and laminate it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's a higher res with the typo fixed, sorry for the mobile link earlier

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Mayveena posted:

I came to look at games but HOLY poo poo DUDE. Stay safe!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

I've got the base game and the conversion pack that brought forward all the heroes and monsters from 1e. What are the best expansion packs? I don't really care about the ones that are like fifteen quid for a lieutenant mini and some rules for skirmish mode, since we're playing the adventure campaign, but if the guys enjoy the base campaign I'll be looking for another one.

I'd be leery of leaping into the Descent expansions because that way lies madness. If your player count is 4 or less, download the app and never look back. That's the fix that makes Descent great. Maybe get the expansion that matches the additional campaign in the app if you play all the way through the campaign.

If playing with 5 where one player has to be overlord, I'd just stick with the base game unless everyone is completely in love with it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mayveena posted:

Good luck, hope you stay safe! :ohdear:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Quixotic1 posted:

Is there a good 2p dudes fighting on a map game?

Gonna completely misinterpret the question and recommend Battle for Biternia. It's a MOBA videogame (à la League of Legends, DotA) in board game form. And it's quite fun.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 25, 2019

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mayveena posted:

Oh poo poo, hope everything is ok

Sweet lord, our hobby has us collecting mountains of inadvertent kindling :ohdear:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i think that, if my apartment were to burn down, i would be more upset about the games than the apartment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Always a good time to remind everyone to get renters insurance if you don’t own your home. It’s very cheap and good peace of mind. And whether you rent or own, go through and photograph and list anything you’d want replaced in detail. List every game, organizer, and upgraded Antiquity resource tile you have. I do it every hurricane season to keep an updated record.

Stay safe Mayveena

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 25, 2019

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks for the Descent advice. There are five of us so I'll be doing the Overlord part, and see how people get on.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Buck Wildman posted:

the game itself isn't even terribly complicated once you have some experience but the rule book is a loving catastrophe

Yeah, I'm terribly tempted to rewrite the whole thing -- probably a flowchart.

Probably best to keep it to myself though since the dev seems to regard any kind of critique as a direct and personal assault on all the work people put into it. Maybe he's just burned out on it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can someone help me with the Spirit Island expansions? From what I understand, Branch&Claw are new Spirits and mechanics that randomise stuff a bit with event cards. The new one also adds spirits and a new type of token. But then there are either non-expansion new Spirits or modifiers to existing Spirits, and I have no idea where to get them or whether it was a promo thing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

Good luck, that looks ominous but hoping it's more bark than bite from here on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fat Samurai posted:

Can someone help me with the Spirit Island expansions? From what I understand, Branch&Claw are new Spirits and mechanics that randomise stuff a bit with event cards. The new one also adds spirits and a new type of token. But then there are either non-expansion new Spirits or modifiers to existing Spirits, and I have no idea where to get them or whether it was a promo thing.

Branch & Claw adds the Event mechanic: random, multi-step events each turn, usually containing a mix of good and bad effects. It also adds the four new tokens (disease, strife, beasts, and wilds), as well as a ton of fear cards, blighted island cards, and power cards that use these new mechanics. There's seriously tons of them, almost as many as there were in the base game. It also adds two new spirits (Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, and Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves), a new adversary (France, an absolute fucker), and a couple of new scenarios. Calling it "essential" is doing the base-game a disservice, but it's really good. We've never played without it, it just adds so much.

There's also the Promo pack (just called "Spirit Island Promo Pack 1", or something bland like that), which I think was some high-tier Kickstarter thing but is also available by itself now. It adds two new spirits (Heart of the Wildfire, and Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island). It's fine, they're fine, they're not my favourites.

I believe there's a second promo pack that will come out alongside JE, but that's at least six months away anyway.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 25, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

That looks like a Fallout 4 screenshot. :stonk:

Games not being on fire is less important than you not being on fire. Take care.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Well I recommend Flash Point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Like Pepys you should bury your collection.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Aramoro posted:

Well I recommend Flash Point.

Hotshots would be more appropriate.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

King of Bleh posted:

I won't presume to judge your taste in games, but my psychoanalyst take is that you definitely love mindgames and loving with people.

This is interesting, and something maybe I hadn't realised, but you're absolutely on the money! I think honestly though, it's less that I love loving with people, and more that I love people loving with each other, if that makes sense? Like for me, seeing someone assemble a really powerful engine that churns out points isn't that exciting. Mechanically sound plays are rarely that 'impressive' to me, because, all things being equal, everyone should really have been able to 'math out' an optimal play. What's exciting is when that player has tricked everyone else at the table into letting them take the cards they need to construct that engine, because you have to 'know' the other players to pull that off! It's what seperates board games from online games, you're actually socially interacting with people round a table, and that social element is for me the spice! Which leads me to my next point:

Anyone got any good anecdotes of people loving each other over? (Ideally playing Dune to make my 'spice' segue more pertinent).

I just spent about half an hour trying to articulate the nuances of a backstab in City of Horror, but after having to explain the rules, the scoring, how tiebreaks work and what have you, it all felt a bit dead. The gist of it is that Sam needlessly gave away that he was in a poor haggling position, while Luke and Jed were at each others throats and would surely have voted for the other to die, not Sam. He wasted valuable resources saving them all when he absolutely needn't. Come the end of the game everyone trusted him as a result, and Luke and Sam made a deal such that they would draw and Jed would lose. (There aren't actually draws, but we didn't know that at the time). This made total sense, as Luke and Jed were both trying to spite each other, and, as mentioned, Sams haggling position was poor since his can of food was only worth one point. Luke handed over his half of the deal, Sam reached into his stash and pulled his hand up flipping him the bird. Everyone erupted in laughter because it was actually the first real betrayal of the game, right at the end, right at the climactic moment, and ABSOLUTELY unneccessary, a pure spite move. To make matters worse, Sam then revealed that actually, even before stealing Lukes poo poo, his can was actually worth 3 and he was gonna win anyway.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

How is the Gandhi COIN game?

It's good. I think the best aspect is that it doesn't feel samey because the non-violent factions are pretty novel in their mechanics.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wanted to try Sanctum but the queue to play is huge and I don’t have time to wait. Shame

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Elysium is finally at a reasonable price somewhere, can anyone vouch for it one way or another? I've had it on my list of recommended games for a long time but at this stage I'm worried it's another game that's been replaced/re-implemented better in newer games.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

The modifiers to existing spirits are aspects, which aren't out yet formally (but test versions are floating around online which aren't too terribly different from what's getting shipped.) Half of the aspects are getting published in Jagged Earth, the other half are in the promo pack getting released alongside it (Kickstarter backers get the new promos automatically.)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played some 6-player EU board game, and I felt a lot less enthused about the whole gameplay of the eastern side of the map. Era I felt like we were just playing multiplayer solitaire, the three of us- there was very little point of conflict until the very end of era 1. That's about as far as we got. The ottoman missions are very boring compared to those of the western powers, particularly England.

I think if you're looking for a tight game, the non-deluxe edition might actually be reasonable- the 4-player western scenario feels pretty good, especially if the players aren't afraid of messing with one another directly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The fire moved away from me, but we were right next to the evacuation zone. There was no way I was getting 200 games out of the house had we had to evacuate so I went and took pictures of them all for insurance purposes.

Thanks for all the good wishes. That's the closest a fire has gotten to me in the five years I've been living here, it was certainly concerning.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

The fire moved away from me, but we were right next to the evacuation zone. There was no way I was getting 200 games out of the house had we had to evacuate so I went and took pictures of them all for insurance purposes.

Thanks for all the good wishes. That's the closest a fire has gotten to me in the five years I've been living here, it was certainly concerning.

Really glad to hear that! Scary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Glad you're ok Mayveena!

SlyFrog posted:

Does anyone actually play Earth Reborn, or just recommend it? Because I've never actually seen anyone playing it at a convention or elsewhere.

I mean I own it, and have played it once or twice too. But then I always wonder if I'm playing the same game as other people, because the rules are an unholy mess, the game is fiddly as gently caress, it appears to have a ton of hooks for additional content that never came out, it seems to be scenario based with a very limited number of scenarios, etc.

I've been working through it with a friend and we've finished 6 of the scenarios so far. It's a giant onion of a game, and the more you play it the more you realize how it legit earns its reputation as an elegant design. There are so many different mechanics working together, and as you learn them all, the overall time it takes to play the game doesn't get all that much longer, it just steadily expands the decision making space and provides new ways to squeeze the most out of each turn. However, this does make it so that you can't get a full sense of what the game has to offer until you've invested quite a bit of time into it. But for my money, it's totally worth it. And at this point the game is regularly sold for about $40-50 which is mind boggling when it comes to what's in the box and how much time you can easily spend playing it as long as you have a partner who wants to dive in with you.

The scenarios are just the tutorial and aren't meant to be the meat of the game. Once you play them all you can play SAGS mode, which is an almost endlessly variable way to construct the map/get mission goals/pick a team and equipment. It also does away with the main downside of the tutorials which is having to build the maps from the scenario book each time. SAGS makes the map building and setup a part of the overall strategy.

In my opinion the rules aren't badly put together so much as there are just so many rules to absorb and remember that it can be confusing, but that's where the tutorials really shine. They dole out just the right amount of new mechanics each time, but also help you solidify what you've already learned without overwhelming you with too many new concepts. The game would be impossible to learn all at once otherwise. But once you really get a handle on things... I mean holy poo poo it's unlike any other game out there.

Same thing goes for the fiddly-ness. As you get more familiar, things run more smoothly and while it's not as easy to pick up and play as most other skirmish games, I don't think there's any aspect of the game that's unnecessary, so everything makes sense. And there's a thematic tie-in with pretty much every mechanic so that helps to explain why things work the way they work.

I know that Christopher Boelinger has mentioned that he wants to revisit the game and work on it more because it was always a passion project for him. Most likely the new content would be a standalone expansion with more factions, characters, items, etc but with the same ruleset as the original game so that they could be combined. There's no concrete timeline though because it competes with all the other new games he wants to develop and/or old games he wants to revisit. And ER in particular is so highly complex that it's almost guaranteed to not be a moneymaker even though it has a small devoted following.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2019