Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Flashing to the newest nightly of cm7 on my G2 made all the notification LEDs orange instead of green. I know it's spergy, but I like seeing the green LED when I have a notification. I installed lightflow lite to try to set this back, but my phone seems to be ignoring the settings I put in lightflow, even though I set up the accessibility options in the phone correctly.

Be sure to test the notifications in ligjtflow, for some reason I can never get it to display notifications until I test my settings first.

I think it's something like Tools > Notification Test and then turn the screen off or something similar to that. Also I thought CM7 had built in LED controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

lelandjs posted:

Well there's a bevy of apps in the market that can change DPI but the few that I tried just resulted in it falling back to the phone-optimized interface. Granted I didn't mess with it too long (I was expecting a call later that day and the phone part doesn't work yet on that rom).
It's almost certainly using the Tablet UI because of the DPI settings.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Got Passion ICS installed on my friend's Vibrant, what a pain in the rear end. But holy hell, now her 959 is faster than my 989. What do you think will happen first, Samsung puts out ICS for the T-989, or they put out the SGS3? I don't get why they drag their butts to update what is currently their best phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Froist posted:

I had this the other day, apparently it's the same on all non-official ICS releases. This fixed it for me.

This may block certain protected apps from being available in the Market.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have firefy 3.0 on my Samsung Galaxy. I flashed my phone a long time ago and I've been out of the loop. Now I'm interested in flashing an ICS rom.
Could I just flash over my current rom (via recovery mode and from sdcard)? Or would I need to flash to stock first, then flash a custom?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iLikeMidgets posted:

I have firefy 3.0 on my Samsung Galaxy. I flashed my phone a long time ago and I've been out of the loop. Now I'm interested in flashing an ICS rom.
Could I just flash over my current rom (via recovery mode and from sdcard)? Or would I need to flash to stock first, then flash a custom?

You don't need to flash to stock. Just do a nandroid backup, factory reset, and wipe caches in recovery, then flash whatever ICS build. I recommend the CM9 alpha.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

nimper posted:

This may block certain protected apps from being available in the Market.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to Android. What do you mean "protected" apps?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Froist posted:

Sorry, I'm pretty new to Android. What do you mean "protected" apps?

Apps that the Market deems only can be installed on devices with certain firmwares.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

nimper posted:

You don't need to flash to stock. Just do a nandroid backup, factory reset, and wipe caches in recovery, then flash whatever ICS build. I recommend the CM9 alpha.

ok thanks. I would need to have the zipped rom on my phone first, correct?

edit: Do I need to flash a gingerbread rom first?

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 29, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Zero VGS posted:

Got Passion ICS installed on my friend's Vibrant, what a pain in the rear end. But holy hell, now her 959 is faster than my 989. What do you think will happen first, Samsung puts out ICS for the T-989, or they put out the SGS3? I don't get why they drag their butts to update what is currently their best phone.
I think Samsung only cares about the Exynos GS2. The t989 is probably relegated to stepchild status, and will get that legendary Samsung treatment.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Codiusprime posted:

Be sure to test the notifications in ligjtflow, for some reason I can never get it to display notifications until I test my settings first.

I think it's something like Tools > Notification Test and then turn the screen off or something similar to that. Also I thought CM7 had built in LED controls.

Testing works fine, the settings just don't seem to be respected outside of that. All the lights are still orange when real notifications come in.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
My samsung infuse has developed a problem over the past month where I can no longer send a text message longer than say 25 characters. :? I was running MIUI but odind back to stock then installed Zeus and the problem persists. Any idears?

My baseband version is I997UCKL2

Citycop fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 29, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iLikeMidgets posted:

ok thanks. I would need to have the zipped rom on my phone first, correct?

edit: Do I need to flash a gingerbread rom first?

If it doesn't work you may need to flash CM7 first.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

nimper posted:

If it doesn't work you may need to flash CM7 first.

After a night fustration, I got it all figured out. Thanks for your help. Looked around abit and decided to go with Dark Knight 4.0.4

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

I think Samsung only cares about the Exynos GS2. The t989 is probably relegated to stepchild status, and will get that legendary Samsung treatment.

So, on that subject can I ask you about SGSII rom scene, rooting, and the like? Buddy of mine finally upgraded off of his iPhone3gS to an ATT SGSII and seems to dig it. I already gave him the rundown on what rooting is, what are pros and cons of the Android ecosystem, and why now is a weird time to buy in. He took it pretty good and expressed mild interest in rooting, but perhaps not so far as getting a custom rom.

So that being said, what's the word on ICS for the ATT SGSII, what's the current scene for that device, and is root pretty easy?

Edit: Preliminary googlin shows me that the ATT version is "GT-I9100" which is about as good as its going to get for the Samsung upgrade curve, right?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Slopehead posted:

Edit: Preliminary googlin shows me that the ATT version is "GT-I9100" which is about as good as its going to get for the Samsung upgrade curve, right?

The AT&T version is the i777, which uses a different call kernel and thus needs to be treated as a different set of hardware from the 9100 international model. As a result, it has a smaller dev community and all the usual negatives you expect from an offshoot created specifically for a US carrier. Nobody knows if ICS is coming, word had been until this week that it will take ICS for the 9100 to be released at minimum, and the community has been turning into a bunch of anxious babies about it and driving away skilled coders by demanding the whole world right this minute. Hacked ICS hasn't been able to place phone calls until just yesterday. That said, a hacked kernel that allows ICS to run and place calls (which you can't do with a 9100 ROM) appeared the other day, with caveats.

You're probably best with ICScrewD (a Gingerbread ROM that's been hosed around with to look like ICS) if you want any kind of stability at all.

If you want, you can use real ICS with brand new hack; but two of the buttons (back and search) don't work and the lockscreen randomly flashes on when it's not plugged into USB, draining your battery. The kind of thing you should check back on to see if they've fixed in a few weeks.

If I was a guy with a brand new phone of this model, I'd probably just switch the launcher if I'm not happy with the TouchWiz one, until CM9 becomes more stable than it is right now. Just don't install the official upgrade released by AT&T, because it kills battery life and is why I felt the need to root mine in the first place.

A note about rooting: the phone has a firmware flash counter on it and will permanently alter it's boot screen if anything non-stock has been flashed, so if you want to avoid that you'll need to go down this more complicated road. Once you have some funky-rear end hack of ClockworkMod running on there, you can throw Odin away and should flash all ROMs through ClockworkMod. And don't ever update ClockworkMod through ROM Manager, as it supposedly breaks the phone.

If this all sounds like a lot could go wrong, welcome to the minor, lesser supported fork of a popular platform.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 1, 2012

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Not sure if it belongs here or not, but a dev on XDA has developed a Beats Audio Port for all Gingerbread phones. Combine that audio layer to CM7s DPS Manager, the sound quality on my phone has drastically improved.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boywunda posted:

Not sure if it belongs here or not, but a dev on XDA has developed a Beats Audio Port for all Gingerbread phones. Combine that audio layer to CM7s DPS Manager, the sound quality on my phone has drastically improved.

That's awesome! I was skeptical when I first heard about Beats audio but it really did make a noticeable difference in sound. Is there any way rom developers will start packaging this in with their roms?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I went ahead and threw the CM9 nightly ony Galaxy Nexus and it's very nice. Not as many features yet as AOKP but I think it runs a little better.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I figure people in this thread flash a lot, and probably some of you have 2 step verification. Googling has provided no luck.

I use 2-step verficiation for my Google account. Every time I wipe and flash a new ROM, I have to re-setup the Google mobile authenticator. When I do that (despite the page telling me it won't), I have to regenerate application specific passwords for chrome sync, and all other application specific passwords. Is this just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 1, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Grumpwagon posted:

Is this just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong?

Officially that's just the way it is, but have you tried backing up your Google Authentication app and data using Titanium, and then restoring it when you install a new ROM?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

Officially that's just the way it is, but have you tried backing up your Google Authentication app and data using Titanium, and then restoring it when you install a new ROM?

This is what I do and I haven't ever had to reset it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
What's the best GNex rom/kernal combo people are using? Good for battery life? I was okay on 4.0.4, worse on AOKP and a recent Franco kernel.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boywunda posted:

Combine [Beats] audio layer to CM7s DPS Manager, the sound quality on my phone has drastically improved.
I'm skeptical. Or rather, I think folks are buying into marketing hype.

It's one thing when a phone actually has a good DAC that's hampered by a crappy audio codec (see SGS/NS models with a wm8994), which paves the way for something like Voodoo Sound to make legitimate improvements. (Although even there, I wonder how much of that is Supercurio just boasting.)

However, if the Beats DSP mumble works on any GB phone, it's not really improving your audio quality, just making it different. That heatmap on the the xda page makes me think it's just doing audio compression to make poo poo sound louder.

I suppose that might help, particularly if your phone really sucks and has audible hiss on the headphone output.

And perhaps "making it sound different" is considered a desired improvement by some, but I utterly, absolutely disagree with this statement:

xda posted:

This is a Beats Audio Port and should work for all Gingerbread Roms. The sounds will be more natural, playing with more clarity.
I think I have a few USB charging cables I can sell these guys.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 2, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think I have a few USB charging cables I can sell these guys.

Oooh! Are they gold-plated??

Seriously, the most hilarious part of those graphs is the statement that "more red is better". Is it louder in more places? It must be better! Nothing is more natural and clear than over-compression!

edit: Especially hilarious is that, if I'm reading that heatmap correctly, it looks like it's really pumping up the 3K-5K range, which will probably actually add something resembling "clarity" to bass-heavy music, but to call that "natural-sounding" stretches the word beyond all reasonable definition.

double edit: It just occurred to me that most people who equate "Beats Audio" with quality probably do hear crazy levels of compression as "natural" :eng99:

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 2, 2012

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I put it on my Evo 3d and I do notice more bass

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is that all it does is increase the bass? I don't listen to much bass-heavy music, so if all this is going to do is increase bass output maybe I should skip it. And yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw those charts in the XDA thread is "What is this? Why is more red better? How is it going to compensate for a lovely DAC?" I really want a magic app to make my phone sound like my iPod though :shobon:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yes the purpose of Beats audio is to essentially have a bass-heavy equalizer pattern happening. A lot of people like it. (I don't like it personally)

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
yeah the bass is more rich and the treble is more tinny.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

:words: about ATT SGSII

Samsung: loving the US consumer yet again. What makes it worse is this is my buddy's first foray into the Android ecosystem and will now probably be permanently turned off by the whole experience.

Seriously, a firmware flashing counter? What the gently caress are they thinking? :psyboom:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is that all it does is increase the bass?

Bass and the 3-5K range, which is the lower-mid end of the high range. Bringing that range up leads directly to this phenomenon:

OptimusMatrix posted:

the treble is more tinny.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I flashed it onto my phone to see if it would make the phone speaker sound better when I'm in the shower. If I decide I hate it is there a way to go back to the normal codec aside from reflashing the whole rom? I'm using cm7.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I have cyanogen 7.1 on an htc incredible and all apps on the phone will crash constantly once a certain amount of cache is used by any one app.

So if i browse a bunch of pic-heavy threads using the awful app, pretty soon everything will force close until i do clear the cache on awful. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening or if it is possible to fix?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Slopehead posted:

Seriously, a firmware flashing counter? What the gently caress are they thinking? :psyboom:

Even the Nexus One had a :siren:BOOTLOADER hosed WITH:siren: modification on the boot screen unless you followed a specific order of instructions. OEMs just aren't going to take us flashing custom ROMs lying down is all.

The HTC One X will also have a US only variant when it arrives on AT&T (a Snapdragon S2 processor instead of a Tegra 3 due to AT&T's Qualcomm-based implementation of LTE) so you can look forward to more of this sort of fun when that phone arrives.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheQat posted:

I have cyanogen 7.1 on an htc incredible and all apps on the phone will crash constantly once a certain amount of cache is used by any one app.

So if i browse a bunch of pic-heavy threads using the awful app, pretty soon everything will force close until i do clear the cache on awful. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening or if it is possible to fix?
Ask the developers in the Awful App thread.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'll do this, thanks

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Anyone else having issues with the touch pad cm9 alpha? My volume seems to randomly mute itself until I reboot. I'm also having some wireless shenanigans but I blame the free wifi hotspots here for that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

LastInLine posted:

Ask the developers in the Awful App thread.

Sorry if I worded that post poorly--it was just meant as an e.g. The problem happens with any app that passes some threshold of cache usage, including Tumblr, Facebook . . . pretty much anything that's image-heavy

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

blackflare posted:

Anyone else having issues with the touch pad cm9 alpha? My volume seems to randomly mute itself until I reboot. I'm also having some wireless shenanigans but I blame the free wifi hotspots here for that.

The alpha2 (whatever it is that enables netflix) is the most stable, problem free iteration of Android I've used in quite a while. Sure, there are missing features in the system settings, and the camera is broken, but the rest has been solid gold for me.

Wipe and re-flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

The alpha2 (whatever it is that enables netflix) is the most stable, problem free iteration of Android I've used in quite a while. Sure, there are missing features in the system settings, and the camera is broken, but the rest has been solid gold for me.

Wipe and re-flash?

Agreed.
Mine rarely has issues after the alpha2 update. Every now and again it has issues moving from one wifi to another, but I find if I put it in airplane mode when I go between places, there are no issues picking up the new wifi.

Other than that, like Civil, its only the known missing features/settings.