Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a graphics card out there capable of pushing 5120x2880?
I meant at 2560 at native res :v: (cause at whatever distance that'll be "retina"). I'm not sure it's even possible to run 5120x2880 off a current interconnect without doing multiple video links.

Speaking of monster resolutions, Mac Pro owners with a lot of money to throw around are in luck!
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/nvida-announces-kepler-based-quadro-k5000-gpu-for-mac-pro/

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Depends on the application, really. I play Dark Souls at 5120x2880 on my GTX 680.
:confused: How's that work?

...four 2560x1440 displays? :psyduck: (or just internal rendering and scaling to screen?)

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

japtor posted:

...four 2560x1440 displays? :psyduck: (or just internal rendering and scaling to screen?)

Now I want 4 1440p monitors... :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

:confused: How's that work?

The latter. Rendering internally at 5120x2880 and then scale down to 2560x1440.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is a tough one. Macbook 2,1 (Mid 2007) overheating. Running prime95 or Intel linpack causes the laptop to reboot.

I've stripped it down to the heatsink, cleaned it up real good with alcohol and replaced the factory thermal paste with MX4. Also thoroughly cleaned out the fan and air path of all dust/debris. Super clean. Still reboots when stressed. CPU die temp reads ~58C when idle. I can't really read the load temp since the machine reboots literally right as I run any stress test.

e: Now this is weird. I've got 2 720p trailers playing looped, a 480p youtube playing and an instance of geek bench running. Full load on both CPUs. Temp rose to 86C but now settling at 70C. No issues so far.

e2: Sigh. Now its working. Running Intel linpack and both cores are staying level at ~72C.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 8, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

1997 posted:

Apple is capturing data for weak MagSafe 2 adapters, it's a known issue but I don't know if its bad design or quality control. Definitely doesn't happen with every MagSafe.

I've had two 2012 MacBook Airs after I swapped one out and both MagSafe 2s were much weaker than the MagSafe I had with my Pro. Comes out much, much easier.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Kalix posted:

Does BetterTouchTool really screw things up?

I've noticed I've had to restart it every once in a while, but I've had it going since I ever got my Mac.

In fact I thought it was one of the coolest 'features' of a Mac before I had one.

It's not so much that it screws things up—it's just that you have to understand you're now running some guy's attempt at interpreting gestures, not Apple's. Some things just won't work as well. But if it works for you, it works for you.

And I wouldn't judge a Magic Mouse's ability to scroll based off of some guy's gesture interpreter rather than Apple's.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

and you can't get a fan for the right side any cheaper than this?

I think I found fans for mine for a few bucks cheaper by figuring out the actual model number and not what Apple calls it. Just a warning, those fans take a good bit of effort to replace. The tape holding the fans in is ridiculously strong, and it tough to get any leverage. You have to be careful with the new fans, too. The screw tabs are made out of some horrifyingly cheap pot metal and will snap off if you just look at them funny.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I think I found fans for mine for a few bucks cheaper by figuring out the actual model number and not what Apple calls it. Just a warning, those fans take a good bit of effort to replace. The tape holding the fans in is ridiculously strong, and it tough to get any leverage. You have to be careful with the new fans, too. The screw tabs are made out of some horrifyingly cheap pot metal and will snap off if you just look at them funny.

i'm very familiar with those fans, but since there are right/left ones i was hoping i wouldn't have to get two individual fans as opposed to one "normal" MacBook fan

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I've had two 2012 MacBook Airs after I swapped one out and both MagSafe 2s were much weaker than the MagSafe I had with my Pro. Comes out much, much easier.

I went from a T shaped MagSafe to a MagSafe 2 and they feel the same to me? Did the duckhead have stronger magnets or something?

Haha at Safari correcting Magsafe.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I wonder if this RAM kit works with a 2010 MBP. I have 0 need for 16GB of RAM, but gently caress, it's so cheap.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

movax posted:

I wonder if this RAM kit works with a 2010 MBP. I have 0 need for 16GB of RAM, but gently caress, it's so cheap.

A 2010 won't support any more than 8 gigs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

2011 MacBook Pros and up will recognize 16 GB.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just do the SSD and forget the rest

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The only way that buying a SSD wouldn't be worth it is if the only thing you use your iMac for is an external monitor for another computer.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I have a late 2007 white Macbook, and the last few months I've noticed that the battery was extruding about 1 millimeter at the side of the lock mechanism, which could cause issues with trackpad input at times (although simply tilting the MB slightly so that the extruding bit doesn't touch the surface fixes this). I know Apple batteries expand when they start to fail, but I wasn't worried too much because I had planned to buy a new laptop soon. My finances are turning out to be less than stellar at the moment, however, so I'm hoping to keep using the laptop for at least a few months longer. The damage an expanding battery might cause to the internal workings doesn't worry me too much, because the expansion seems to be very limited and not progressing rapidly, so by the time it will have any lasting effects I'll have saved up for a new one. The only thing I'm really worried about is people saying the battery might explode. Is this a real issues? I've heard the possibility thrown around a lot, but have not found actual stories or examples of it happening. And I don't really feel like buying a new battery now if I'll be tossing the whole thing in a few months.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jolan posted:

And I don't really feel like buying a new battery now if I'll be tossing the whole thing in a few months.
At this point the battery can't be any real use to you, right? Just remove it and continue normal use without the battery.
You _could_ bring it into an Apple store and ask very nicely what you should do about these issues and they might offer you a free swap. Can't hurt to ask.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

kuskus posted:

At this point the battery can't be any real use to you, right? Just remove it and continue normal use without the battery.
You _could_ bring it into an Apple store and ask very nicely what you should do about these issues and they might offer you a free swap. Can't hurt to ask.

It still hold a decent charge, like nearly 2 hours of watching movies with full brightness. I'm positively flabbergasted about the quality of Apple hardware, battery included. The non-Apple laptops my family has have needed a replacement battery after 2-3 years. That's also why I want to save up for another Mac and not settle for a cheaper device.
I'm planning on passing by an Apple retailer sometime soon (we don't have 'proper' Apple stores here), I'm not expecting a replacement from them but who knows.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 9, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can you get an educational discount on refurbished models?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jolan posted:

The only thing I'm really worried about is people saying the battery might explode. Is this a real issues? I've heard the possibility thrown around a lot, but have not found actual stories or examples of it happening. And I don't really feel like buying a new battery now if I'll be tossing the whole thing in a few months.

It's more likely it will suddenly start expanding really, really quickly (and they can get massive when they start doing that)

Definitely remove and dispose of it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Can you get an educational discount on refurbished models?
Nope.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I wanted to upgrade the hard drive in a macbook while not installing the OS over, can I just hook up the new HD over usb, clone the old one to it using superduper and swap? The new drive should be bootable after the clone right? Any other considerations? Will I have to expand the cloned partition or will superduper take care of that? What about Lion's recovery partition?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 9, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Have companies that deployed Mac Pros in the last 6 years stuck with them even though they haven't been updated for a while or have they switched to iMacs (performance/$) or PC workstations? I'm not so much talking about small businesses with 10 machines but large to super large studios with 100s or 1000s of machines.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Shaocaholica posted:

Have companies that deployed Mac Pros in the last 6 years stuck with them even though they haven't been updated for a while or have they switched to iMacs (performance/$) or PC workstations? I'm not so much talking about small businesses with 10 machines but large to super large studios with 100s or 1000s of machines.

take this with a grain of salt obviously, but they're still very powerful machines. for certain applications a Mac Pro with multiple Xeons is going to perform better than a brand new iMac or PC with cutting edge CPUs. for certain applications it's the other way around, but what i'm trying to say is people/companies aren't dumping mac pros for the reason they haven't had updates in a while. maybe people buying now wouldn't be inclined to get new ones, but i've never seen a mac pro be taken out of production for a reason like that

Shaocaholica posted:

If I wanted to upgrade the hard drive in a macbook while not installing the OS over, can I just hook up the new HD over usb, clone the old one to it using superduper and swap? The new drive should be bootable after the clone right? Any other considerations? Will I have to expand the cloned partition or will superduper take care of that? What about Lion's recovery partition?

you can do it in Disk Utility but I prefer to do it in Carbon Copy Cloner - but the answer is yes, and you can restore the CCC-made image through Disk Utility in the OS X installer USB/DVD/recovery partition you boot from. CCC backs up the recovery partition too if you tell it to. if you clone from drive to drive instead drive to image, you may have to resize a partition but that takes about 10 seconds in Disk Utility

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ACID POLICE posted:

take this with a grain of salt obviously, but they're still very powerful machines. for certain applications a Mac Pro with multiple Xeons is going to perform better than a brand new iMac or PC with cutting edge CPUs. for certain applications it's the other way around, but what i'm trying to say is people/companies aren't dumping mac pros for the reason they haven't had updates in a while. maybe people buying now wouldn't be inclined to get new ones, but i've never seen a mac pro be taken out of production for a reason like that
I guess that makes sense. I was more interested in what companies are doing for new hardware purchases. I've already been to a few VFX stufios which have gone with high end iMacs as the staple hardware. But these place have been pretty dumpy with less than stellar spending decisions.

ACID POLICE posted:

you can do it in Disk Utility but I prefer to do it in Carbon Copy Cloner - but the answer is yes, and you can restore the CCC-made image through Disk Utility in the OS X installer USB/DVD/recovery partition you boot from. CCC backs up the recovery partition too if you tell it to. if you clone from drive to drive instead drive to image, you may have to resize a partition but that takes about 10 seconds in Disk Utility

Would I be better off cloning from a bootable OS/App instead of the host OS? Chances are I won't have enough space on the old HD to store an image of itself nor will I have a 3rd drive to store it on either.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

x-virge posted:

It's not so much that it screws things up—it's just that you have to understand you're now running some guy's attempt at interpreting gestures, not Apple's. Some things just won't work as well. But if it works for you, it works for you.

And I wouldn't judge a Magic Mouse's ability to scroll based off of some guy's gesture interpreter rather than Apple's.

But it only takes 'effect' when I program a gesture, correct? So if I don't have any conflicts with the Apple gestures, it should be fine?
Or does it override the Apple built in ones.

I have some cool ones, like three fingers click followed by a fourth finger tap is to close a window.

They've become very ingrained.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

dissss posted:

It's more likely it will suddenly start expanding really, really quickly (and they can get massive when they start doing that)

Definitely remove and dispose of it.

This. A swelling battery has the potential to be quite dangerous. Stop using it and dispose of it properly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay thanks. I'd like to upgrade my MBP at some point. I have the first unibody from fall 2008. I don't need anything particularly fancy, but it would be nice to have a SSD and better battery life. I suppose I should get the low end model, but I like having a larger screen size at the same time.

What happened to the regular Macbook anyway? Also why doesn't the Macbook Air have an audio in port?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

actionjackson posted:

What happened to the regular Macbook anyway? Also why doesn't the Macbook Air have an audio in port?

Regular MacBook was discontinued as of July 2011; evidently they wanted to only sell MacBook Airs after that point. They also probably figured why include audio in when you've got two USB ports available and they make this?

Probably they decided the SD card slot was a better choice to include because not everybody needs to do audio input but there sure are a helluva lot of cameras that use SD cards.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 9, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Shaocaholica posted:

Would I be better off cloning from a bootable OS/App instead of the host OS? Chances are I won't have enough space on the old HD to store an image of itself nor will I have a 3rd drive to store it on either.

Nah, you will be fine cloning your boot drive while running off of it with CCC. I've done it many times, direct drive to drive

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

actionjackson posted:

The audio jack works both ways. You can switch from in or out in the system preferences.

E: I guess it seems they might have taken that feature out of the current Airs? That sucks.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 10, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. I guess I'm wondering how much of a boost I'd expect in basic computer activities going from my current model to a Macbook Air. Mainly how a standard hard drive like I have would be improved going to the flash storage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You'll notice a the biggest difference speed wise you've ever experienced during normal computer activities when transitioning to a SSD from a HDD.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

actionjackson posted:

Presumably it's a combination headphone/mic jack, where you can insert a combination headphone/mic headset with a four-segment connector. Many phones take that now and come with a corresponding headphone/mic. Many other laptops have that now, too. For example see this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SK66OY/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's mono input only on the air, iirc.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BlackMK4 posted:

It's mono input only on the air, iirc.

Oh wow, my quick googling returned a wrong poster and now some more googling agrees with you. I don't know who to believe. Maybe it varies between versions?

The specs for the latest one say "Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would just want to make sure I can connect it to my mixer without having to buy something additional.

Is this accurate?

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57459083-285/record-through-your-macbooks-headphone-jack/

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I would just want to make sure I can connect it to my mixer without having to buy something additional.

Is this accurate?

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57459083-285/record-through-your-macbooks-headphone-jack/
It is for the MBP, but it's a little unclear about the Air.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jolan posted:

It still hold a decent charge, like nearly 2 hours of watching movies with full brightness. I'm positively flabbergasted about the quality of Apple hardware, battery included. The non-Apple laptops my family has have needed a replacement battery after 2-3 years. That's also why I want to save up for another Mac and not settle for a cheaper device.
I'm planning on passing by an Apple retailer sometime soon (we don't have 'proper' Apple stores here), I'm not expecting a replacement from them but who knows.

Don't take the battery out or the CPU will downclock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Under clock to half power even. He should really just replace it.